RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4339087-h9-f6f-hellcat-60-arf.html)

Augie11 08-06-2011 06:42 AM

RE: H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

Yes, I've ordered two extra sets over the years. Only have one left! Not a big deal but it does usually shorten that flying day. She's been a GREAT plane overall......but then TF is coming out with a new Corsair ARF this fall. Hmmmmm.......

drube 08-06-2011 06:43 AM

mrsand, have you had any more issues with your retact servo since you installed the align step down diode? I'm having the same problems.
I also had the same issue that CJ had with flutter but was able to save the plane except for ripping the fire wall off.
Thanks

mrsand 08-06-2011 10:57 AM

Drube,

no more electrical issues since I got the correct voltage to the servo. I sometimes have brain flutter though.

drube 08-06-2011 12:02 PM

Thanks, Like said in the pm i'll get one asap. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

drube 08-09-2011 02:19 PM

Need some opinions guys,
While i'm fixing the fire wall i'm thinking aboutstripping the coveringandglassing/painting. What thickness cloth should I use and what resin or can I use epoxy?I'm running a ST G90 2c and stock LG for now but plan to get Robarts. Do you think the plane will be to heavy after glass/paint or should I stay with the covering? I would like to sheet the wing also.
If there's a how to glass ahellcat thread please post a link.

Thankshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif</p>

drube 08-09-2011 04:14 PM

Ok, It seems many are using 1/2 oz cloth and epoxy resin, any idea on how much cloth I will needfor thefuse and wing?

bigtim 08-09-2011 07:15 PM

about a yard and a half but 2 to be safe

drube 08-09-2011 07:52 PM

Thanks

drube 10-20-2011 01:57 PM

I know the answer is here in this thread somewhere but cant seem to find it.On a Jr 791 retract servo, Do the easy connectors need to be 1" apart or 3/8" apart? I thought I read here Minn suggested 3/8" but I may be wrong.

Thanks

drube 10-20-2011 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Make sure that you DO NOT use the 1" travel recommended in the Manual. that is too far and will tax the servo - 7/8" travel is all that is needed
Found it. 7/8"

w1nd6urfa 10-21-2011 04:11 AM

I would double-check on MY plane rather than trusting a post.

Mark the pushrods with a silver marker, cycle them by hand and measure the distance

drube 10-21-2011 05:31 AM

After about an hour of messin with them, they're working, I'll upgrade sometime in the future. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

drube 10-29-2011 07:29 PM

Anyone out there still have thier stock retracts sitting around gathering dust needing a new home? lol Due to the origanal crashmt LEFTone isun repairable and bent up pretty bad. Nothing I do will make it lock in the down position.

Thanks

Chad Veich 10-29-2011 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: drube

Anyone out there still have thier stock retracts sitting around gathering dust needing a new home? lol Due to the origanal crash mt LEFT one is un repairable and bent up pretty bad. Nothing I do will make it lock in the down position.

Thanks
Let me look around the shop drube, I may still have a used set that came out of my H'cat. If I can find them they are all yours for the price of shipping.

drube 10-29-2011 07:58 PM

That would be great!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Catalinaflyer 12-28-2011 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW, just thought some people would like to see one of these with a 26cc Gas engine. It fits completely inside the cowl and will be test flying it this coming weekend.

Firepower R/C 12-28-2011 08:52 PM

Hi Catflyer, I hope you reinforced the horizontal stabilizer:D That will have some serious poop...

Catalinaflyer 12-29-2011 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/CHi Catflyer, I hope you reinforced the horizontal stabilizer:D That will have some serious poop...
That was done back when it had a ST 90 in it with carbon fiber strips. The thing needed so much weight on the front to balance even before fixing the horizontal that we decided to add weight in the form of horsepower rather than lead. As for the top speed, probably won't be much more than the 90 because I'll prop it with a fairly flat pitch prop.

pjwright 12-29-2011 05:08 AM

I like how you've braced your choke rod, cat ... I'm putting a 20cc in mine this winter, plus flaps and retract tailwheel.
I also removed the plastic retract wells and put in balsa well liners so that the mains tuck down a little better.
;)
PJ

da Rock 12-29-2011 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: catflyer

FWIW, just thought some people would like to see one of these with a 26cc Gas engine. It fits completely inside the cowl and will be test flying it this coming weekend.
Will be looking forward to the story of the test flight.

What would be just as interesting would be how much it weighs ready to go. All of my H9 warbirds came out around 8 pounds with about 1.5lbs of engine/muffler. All I found for a weight of a 26cc gas appeared to be 2.5lb just for the engine, no mention of muffler or electrics. I've considered gas about every time I see one fly, but never got a good feel for how they compare in the 60-90 size models to glow or electricity.

Looks like a thoughtful installation and I'm betting it works great. I'm hoping for good weather too. Will be testing new landing gear in my Hellcat, and it's been WAR getting them to this point.

mrsand 12-29-2011 07:05 AM

What gear did you install Rock? I just keep replacing the stock units..they work ok until there's just to many rough landings....

mrsand

da Rock 12-29-2011 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: mrsand

What gear did you install Rock? I just keep replacing the stock units..they work ok until there's just to many rough landings....

mrsand

I went to Lados for all my 60-90 Warbirds back when they first became available. They worked well with the exception that their 90 degree up/down doesn't suit any airplane. The Spit shouldn't extend 90, it should be more like 95. The Thunderbolt should extend less than 90. The Corsair and Hellcat need more than 90 also as the axis of rotation is too far back from the LE.

I've recently retrofitted WingSpan retracts into the Hellcat but that's been a battle. Been dealing with that for over a month. Might get the first test flight tomorrow.

The Lados have worked out admirably except for the problems they cause not giving the right stance and not placing the wheel's footprint in the right place for ground handling.

Dago Racer13 12-30-2011 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I just finished glassing and priming a 4 year old H9hellcat. It had an oldSaito1.20 for about 40 flights until the ring went bad.
SoI put an ASP 1.80fs in it. It actually fit in the same mount same holes and was a few ounces lighter then the 1.20. I
figured I better glass it before it self-destructed. I had tried this combo ina Top Flite corsair and the speed and sound were
unreal. I have the stock retracts but I'm fitting the Robart 650's in it. The stock retracts work fine, but our field is too bumpy
to taxi for too long. After glassing it only gained 6 oz. I'm painting it this weekend. The total weight should be under 11lbs.
I will have pics shortly
Dave</p>

Dago Racer13 12-30-2011 08:46 PM

I had glassed and epoxied the back of the firewall and the inside front of the fuse for added strength.
it also added about an extra pound to the front so the battery was put in front of the tail-wheel.  I didn't use
epoxy for the outside glass, just the inside.  I've used Deft and Min-Wax polyacrylic on four other warbirds.
It only adds 5-8 ounces overall and it's almost bullet-proof.  When I used epoxy to glass especially the smaller
planes it added to much weight and was harder to sand. Even at 11 lbs this should still go ballistic.

pjwright 12-31-2011 04:26 AM

What are the merits of Deft paint, Corsairman? Never tried it. Fuelproof?
:eek:
PJ