RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Nosen P-47 Build Marathon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4961804-nosen-p-47-build-marathon.html)

x3heimmr 11-06-2006 01:24 PM

Nosen P-47 Build Marathon

1 Attachment(s)
This is the beginning of a marathon build. I have started a Bud Nosen P-47 kit. It will have a Q-100, Annco retracts and wheels and fiberglass cowl. It will probably get a Meister razor back and canopy. Also will most likely have a retractable tail wheel. The progress so far is pretty straight forward. The first changes to be made will involve modifying the formers to accept an engine mount box that will extend back to the wing. Comments and suggestions will be appreciated ( as long as you are nice:D)
Thanks

p-47 razorback pilot 11-06-2006 01:29 PM

RE: Nosen P-47 Build Marathon

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the jugs... keep us posted looking to gather parts myself for a don smith 122"w/s razorback soon

x3heimmr 11-06-2006 04:47 PM

OK[:@], how do I post the pics so there is a small icon, not a big one?????

funfly-RCU 11-06-2006 05:05 PM

I will be keeping my eye on this as I have that k same kit, Just as soon as I move into my new home, (two more weeks) I will be starting mine.
What do you think of the gear, I have the same ones and will also be useing the Q100.

Can you tell me were you are getting your cowl from as Im looking for one.

x3heimmr 11-06-2006 05:31 PM

The Annco gear looks very good. It positive locks both up and down. I do not know where this cowl comes from, but I have read several other posts that say the Meister cowl should work.

funfly-RCU 11-06-2006 05:43 PM

Looking at yours in look like it came from precision fiberglass, here is the site. http://www.precision-fiberglass-prod...ndex.php?cat=7

I will have to give them a call and get one.

funfly-RCU 11-09-2006 07:31 PM

So how is the build coming, have you got much done.

foodstick 11-09-2006 08:44 PM

A buddy of mine had one of these framed up, ITS FREAKIN HUGE! I hope you have a building to store it in at your field! can't wait to see how it comes along. I would own one if I had a acreage..

cochinito77 11-09-2006 09:27 PM

is that a conversion engine? i hope so...:D

x3heimmr 11-13-2006 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the cowl in position before mounting it. There is a cowl ring that glues to the inside of the cowl. Then there are 1/2" dia x 2" long dowels that go from the fire wall to the cowl ring.

x3heimmr 11-13-2006 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These pics show the cowl after the initial mounting. I will be adding more braces between the cowl and cowl ring later.

x3heimmr 11-13-2006 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the horizontal stab tacked together. I still need to glue in hinge points. Then sand the leading and trailing edge to shape.

x3heimmr 11-13-2006 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Vertical fin. Like the stab it still needs hings points and the leading and trailing edges shaped.

x3heimmr 11-13-2006 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking ahead, here is a pic of the wing ribs. There is also a pic of the wing plan. I will be doubling the supplied balsa ribs with 1/8" ply in the areas marked in red. These ribs will be cut out to accept the retracts and wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the gear to line up so the wheels point straight ahead?

deckerv 11-13-2006 10:58 AM

Lookin good! They really are a sweet flyer in the end. I had one that I just really didn't have the moolah to power correctly, but it was super stable and flew very very nicely. First flew it on an Inline Twin SuperTigre... then on a G-62. It should fly like a warbird should with that Q100.

prop wash 11-14-2006 09:08 PM

Boy am I glad you stated this thread.I got one too and am in need of advice on where to put the gear.I've got Centry Jets,full house and don't know if the outline of the retracts shone on the plans is correct or not.Tom

Baldeagle 11-14-2006 10:27 PM

X3 On your retracts.make a mounting plate frpm 3/8 ply cut it to fit between your ply ribs, mount the retracts to the ply plate then set it up in the wing but don't glue it to the wing till you have the settings you wan't. This is pretty tricky you will need both tires mounted on the retracts that way you can check to in. angle forward, and wheel laying in the wing. This is really time comsuming. but if you get it right the first time . it will be a lot easear. You will be supporting a lot of weight , so beef up the rib area. How big is the tire going to be? Sullivan makes a nice aluminum wheel and nice tire thats not real expensive. I don't know if they make one that big. Hope this helps. Rich

x3heimmr 11-15-2006 09:33 AM

For all concerned about the retract installation, I have contacted the person who was the last to manufacture the Annco retracts. He is sending me a copy of overlays for each rib. They are supposed to show what to cut out and add. He said there will still be some trimming to do, but the overlays are really good for getting close so you can mount the gear and them align them. I am thinking of making a jig to hold the left and right gear together in the down position as they will sit in the wing so I can lock the two sets of gear together as one piece. Then use the gear as they are locked together to trial fit for alignment with the wing halves joined. (I am building the wing as a one piece.)

prop wash 11-20-2006 02:19 PM

X3,have you gotten the overlays for the gear? If you do I would sure like to have a copy.Let me know by E-mail.Thanks Tom

prop wash 11-20-2006 02:24 PM

Actually,I just need to know where the gear goes,I have Century Jets and would like to pretty much to finnish the wing before I go on much farther.Tom

prop wash 11-21-2006 08:54 PM

Dennis,I got your E-mail.Thanks a bunch.I know this will work out great.What re-tracts are you using,and what size wheel?I wasn't going to touch this plane untill this winter but with this thread that x3 has started, I better get busy.I want to cover the wing so I don't break anything.Mine was partially built and has the gear and glass cowling so I'm getting anxious to get it started.I have the H9 P47 and it fly's great,so I'm looking forward to get this one up.Tom

funfly-RCU 11-21-2006 09:09 PM

Hi Tom, I have the Annco grear and wheels 6-1/2, i plan on getting to this once the move is over. do you have any pic of yours. send me a email next week with your address and I will get the update sheet out to you.
Dennis

x3heimmr 11-27-2006 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Y'all,
I haven't got much building done the past few days. Here are some pics of a Nosen P-47 wing with the Annco retracts and 6 1/2" wheels. The retracts are mounted pointing back 10 degrees when retracted to make everything line up. The also are angled forward so the wheels stick out in front of the wing when extended - so what you have is a compound angle to get it all right. I will contact the person who I got the overlays from. I think he is still in business, but not for sure. If he says its OK, I'll post his name and address.

prop wash 11-28-2006 09:01 PM

OK Dennis,thanks a bunch.Tom

prop wash 12-02-2006 12:40 PM

x3,your pic's are great.I guess I better get started on mine pretty soon.
Dennis I don't have a digital camera so I'll have to pass on the pic's.I still use a 35mil Pentax.The digital camera I want still costs too much,I'm too cheep.Tom