RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New ARF - Martin Mauler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5261215-new-arf-martin-mauler.html)

LDM 06-22-2007 10:14 PM

RE: New ARF - Martin Mauler

NIce work , this plane is growing on me , I appreciate the feedback on the struts , I may give robart another shot .

scale dail 06-25-2007 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IT IS DONE!!! just over 30 days. a record for me, even for an ARF!

scale dail 06-25-2007 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more. next will be flight pictures. it ended up weighing 7 1/2 pounds. I have the controls set up for a lot of throw for the first few flights then will tone down for more scale like performance. the full size Mauler "flew like a truck".

HellcatAce 06-27-2007 05:19 PM

It flies nice but needs more power! A YS 110 should do!:D

You know I kid. Congrats on the maiden, and hope to get my P-51 back to flight status for some formation flights by Saturday hopefully.

scale dail 06-27-2007 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it flys! and very good. the tail does come up very quick and it is very easy to steer on take off, even though I had a bit of a head wind. while taxiing the tail wants to weather vane with a cross wind. just a little "up" and it flys right off the ground, it has a very light wing loading. I really had to push it to stall, just a mush. I added a little rudder and it did kind of tip stall a little but I had to make it do that. it is pretty stable even in light gusts. a rough estimate at top speed with the .52 about 50-60MPH. it will loop from level flight pretty good but this is no Bearcat! it is a strike bomber, with performance a lot like a Skyraider. it is easy to maintain a steady pitch angle on landing so good landings are easy to do. on touch down I think if it is landed to fast it will want to nose over. it will probably land three-point too. it has a light wingloading just like your typical ARF. I am very pleased with the model. I have fun with people at the field, no one knows what it is! they think they know, but they are wrong! it is the MAULER!

jescardin 06-28-2007 02:32 AM

Very nice flying shots. Congrats for your model!

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin

Baldeagle 07-04-2007 12:48 PM

dail When you were putting the retracts in, Did you have to cut the main spar much? Thanks Rich

scale dail 07-04-2007 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to cut the bottom spar. then spaned it with ply so that the Robostrut would clear. does this mean that you will put rotaters in your Mauler too?!! that would be great if someone else does this too!

Baldeagle 07-04-2007 06:30 PM

dail I haven't bought one yet. That is the info I was looking for. Hopefully next month I will get the Mauler. Thanks Rich

scale dail 04-19-2008 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Mauler is still flying almost a year later! All the mods I did have worked great. later this year I my install a retractable carrier hook to land on my clubs new park flyer runway!
The covering always wrinkes in the sun, and the cowl is starting to crack. I fly without the rockets now.
My buddy took this pic yesterday.

ByronF 03-29-2010 12:23 PM

I realize this is an old thread but hoping that some of the Mauler fliers out there will check in and perhaps help with the answer to my question. I have just finished assembling my Mauler and getting set to balance it. The manual shows a balance point at 85mm at the outer panels which extends to about 4-1/2" at the center section. As I use a CG balancer I am measuring the CG closer to the center section. So my question is what balance point are/were you using measured from the leading edge center section of the wing. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Byron

whatiwork4 03-29-2010 05:21 PM

check post #21 it has the balance point used for his plane with success

ByronF 04-04-2010 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info on the post with the CG. Don't know how I missed that. Anyway my Mauler is just about ready to go. Just have to install the rockets and the drop tank.
Here is a photo of it with some customized nose art.
Byron

ByronF 05-16-2010 10:42 PM

Well after a month of delays due to lousy weather finally had the chance today to maiden my Mauler. The CG as described in post 21 was bang on.
The Mauler powered by and HB61 Blitz charged down the runway and was airborne in no time. The controls were set kinda by the manual and seemed to be ok although I did crank in about 30% expo just in case. Think for the next flight will put in low rates for ailerons about 80% but leave the elevator as is. The plane flies great although I needed about 5 click of down trim for hands off level flight. Never needed more than 3/4 throttle. Did not really wring it out on this first flight. Just flew around getting a feel for it. Landing was no problem. Slowed down nicely with no signs of a stall and then it settled right in touched on the mains and rolled a bit and then came to a stop. Now that is out of the way can concentrate on flying this bird. Although I expect that as usual my first landing is always the nicest and the next dozen or so will be bouncy bouncy. but i guess thats how it goes. May also try shimming the engine mount for more downthrust in order to get rid of some of the down trim. Anybody else have to add down thrust?
Byron

scale dail 05-07-2011 04:38 PM

Video of my Flyboy Martin Mauler. It is getting old and ragged now. Not the quality that will last for many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwSnCGyJb4

Roary m 05-07-2011 04:49 PM

Are the photos taken at your local field? I confess I've never been there and its right over the hill from us; probably much nicer weather all year round. Cool ship.

scale dail 05-07-2011 06:07 PM

June 11th is our scale fly in @ Canyon Crosswinds. The video was taken at the Prado field near Chino Ca.

azsnow 02-02-2016 07:25 AM

Am about to build a model of the Mauler and would appreciate copies of the three views that you have. If possible e-mail them.

wingslikeeagles 02-18-2016 07:15 PM

wingslikeeagles 02-18-2016 07:18 PM

"... balanced at 95 mm or about 3 3/4 inches from the LE"

The manual says the CG is 80-85mm. Why did you go with 95mm?

wingslikeeagles 02-18-2016 07:23 PM

Byron... I'm just finishing up one of these Maulers. I agree with you, the manual says 80-85mm. What did you go with?

Lee

wingslikeeagles 02-18-2016 07:51 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2148234
Here is the CG as shown in the manual. First of all, where is the CG being measured from? Ordinarily, I'd say from the wing root, but the CG symbols are way out by the ailerons. That's the difference of an inch and a half...which, on a plane this size, is the difference between flying poorly and flying once.