RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP F8-F Bearcat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6012395-kmp-f8-f-bearcat.html)

hookemut 06-20-2007 01:43 PM

KMP F8-F Bearcat

1 Attachment(s)
Wandering, making my daily rounds and what did I behold!!
I believe that it is a new, composite running mate to my KMP Stuka-a lovely 70.5 inch Bearcat!!
hookemut

Chad Veich 06-20-2007 03:45 PM

RE: KMP F8-F Bearcat

Now we're talking!

WhoDaMan 06-20-2007 05:07 PM

very interesting:D

kochj 06-20-2007 07:52 PM

I had predicted this one from KMP...
I had thought I would have been larger.[:o]
The TT navy looks more promising to me,, half the price and about the same size!

hookemut 06-20-2007 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: kochj

I had predicted this one from KMP...
I had thought I would have been larger.[:o]
The TT navy looks more promising to me,, half the price and about the same size!
well, it may be that you get what you pay for, kochj. I spent some time looking in detail at the TT assembly manual-lots of bits and pieces -a bit like a jg-saw puzzle to me. but it is nice to have options on one of our beloved round engine, tailhook airplanes.
hookemut

scale dail 06-21-2007 01:40 AM

Now that looks scale! if only all ARF's looked that good!

SunShyne 06-21-2007 01:48 AM

I got the Stuka on order, im thinking im gonna have to sell off one more plane to make room for this one lol. She is a looker!

kochj 06-21-2007 09:55 AM

Yes, that is usually the case. Currently though, if you asked some of the members building the Tigercat, they may dissagree!
Also from what I have heard and seen, the KMP manuals are not well thought out, and may require quite a bit of extra effort as well!
My issue is the retracts.. I am very picky. They need to work well, (all the time) not some of the time!

Perhaps I would consider this one if the option was available to remove the included retracts and let you choose something else. I am sure that if that were the case, sierra would build some very nice units.

Just subtract 250$-200$ from the total and I would be very interested.

Now if they supply a fuel tank with more than 25cc's capacity, you might be able to fly this one!;)

The plane looks very pretty though.

drifter 06-21-2007 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps it's just me, but the nose looks "off". Too fat?? Or maybe it's the photo.

Chad Veich 06-21-2007 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: drifter

Perhaps it's just me, but the nose looks "off". Too fat?? Or maybe it's the photo.
I see it too drifter, something is a bit off. That fat drop tank is not helping either. Still, it looks better than most ARFs and I'd certainly consider one as a weekend flyer.

scale dail 06-22-2007 11:58 AM

Yes. maybe a little off. hard to tell.

Richard L. 06-22-2007 12:05 PM

Yeah the cowl looks off. Maybe they mounted the cowl upside down. Hopefully they will snap some pics showing the side view of the plane. We all know that the Bearcat has a non-symmetrical tapered cowl. The top of the cowl slopes down toward the front and the bottom of the cowl doesn't slope up as much but has the same curvature as the bottom of the fuse. It will be a bummer if they can't get the cowl right.

AKondor 06-23-2007 09:56 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just some thoughts about price as mentioned in an earlier posting here. There was a reference made to our aircraft beeing double the price of the Thunder Tiger Bearcat. First, the Thunder Tiger kit is 63 inches and not 70.5 Second the kit includes a wood wing with iron on covering. Third it does not come with Air retracts, Fourth it does not include Oleo Struts and Fifth it does not include Metal Wheels with Rubber Tires!

Basically the KMP Kit should be three times the price not Less than 2x the price!!

To Summarize then,

KMP Bearcat is:

Larger, All Composite, includes Air Retracts, Oleo Struts and Metal Wheels wth Rubber Tires. Panel lines..... Its not even in the same category as the TTR kit!

Food for thought...
Andrew

nmacwarbirds 06-23-2007 12:04 PM

Dear Andrew
I take it people can just buy the airframe.
Some people may have retracts etc already.

Regards Phil G.

AKondor 06-23-2007 03:24 PM

HI:

The retracts are only available seperately in the UK. You should be able to buy the plane from YT International shortly.

Cheers,
Andrew Kondor

AKondor 06-23-2007 03:30 PM

Hi Guys:
I will look into the cowl detail. I can see that the original airframe has more of a "taper" in the cowl. We will do our best to deliver an authentic looking warbird. Cowls are easy enough to re-mold.

Cheers,
Andrew

Richard L. 06-23-2007 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: AKondor

We will do our best to deliver an authentic looking warbird. Cowls are easy enough to re-mold.
Now that's great to hear. Thanks.

AKondor 06-24-2007 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture from the side. You can see the taper in nose a little better from this angle.

Richard L. 06-24-2007 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. To me, the nose still looks a little off and a tad too short.

Flakbait 06-24-2007 12:09 PM

For all the pureists Jerry Bates has a great set of plans and there is even a fiberglass fuse,cowl and belly pan avilable from VicRc.
As far as KMP's bird it looks pretty good for an airplane that does not require near the time to builld/ assemble.
I own an F7F and it would take me quite a while to get an airplane to the state I received that one straight out of the box.
Just my .02 cents. So don't get excited!!! [8D]

Flakbait

MANFRED 06-24-2007 12:52 PM

Hope somebody makes a cockpit kit for this which includes the telltale Bearcat rollover support.

kinverflyer 06-25-2007 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you who have expressed an interest in the cowl, please see the attached photo.

p51mech38 06-25-2007 09:31 AM

Coming from a guy who work on a stock F8F, and used to work on a race F8F I would say it looks great. Leave the cowl the way it is. Some panel lins might make it look a little better.

Richard L. 06-25-2007 10:08 AM

This is coming from a Bearcat lover who knows the lines of the F8F very well:

http://www.warbirdobsession.com/kmp_f8f/kmp_cowl.jpg

kahloq 06-25-2007 10:40 AM

Richard, the angle of the two planes is not the same, so perception is off.

I'd have to agree with Rare Bear Mech that the cowl is pretty close to accurate as is. But, could it stand to be 3mm longer? Yes, but no more then that. Its not enough of a difference to warrant remolding by itself. However, the front of the cowl doesnt quite taper enough and this is where that 3mm would be effective.

Rare Bear Mech has much more hands on experience regarding the real plane then any of us here....no matter how much love someone has for the plane. So, I'd take his assessment with more weight attached then any one else here.