RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   .60 P-36 Black Horse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6177482-60-p-36-black-horse.html)

_Tommy D 07-30-2007 11:54 PM

.60 P-36 Black Horse

Anyone game for a P-36??

For less then $200 clams Im tempted.

They sure screwed up the retracts though....

http://www.angelsjapan.jp/black_hors...K_P36A_kit.jpg

Evil_Merlin 07-31-2007 01:12 AM

RE: .60 P-36 Black Horse

Retracts are easy to replace though...

It LOOKS OK. I'm tracking down a scale outline of the P-36 first before making other judgements, but I'm debating getting one too...

vik 07-31-2007 03:28 AM

To be honest from this picture it looks interesting
I doupbt they will have some extra small wheels as ussual

CorsairJock 07-31-2007 04:29 AM

That looks like the one that has recently became available thru "Hobby People":

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159541.asp

From the pic there: it appears that the retracts are not the rotating type, which is what I believe tommytorino was referring to.
Luckily, as evidenced in the picture that he posted: the decals are not pre-installed as they are shown in the Hobby People picture, as they are obviously installed in-correctly on the assembled one.

Anyone interested in doing some kit bashing, as in: transforming it into a Pearl Harbor P-36, might be interested in this article concerning a plastic model of it:

http://www.us-aircraft.com/IPMS/Kitr...a%20better.htm

I am really tempted on this ARF, and have always wanted to build a P-36 (even thought about transforming a P-40 kit into one), but retro fitting rotating retracts into a wing built for conventional retracts could be quite the challenge.

vik 07-31-2007 07:56 AM

well if it won´t have rotarng retracts it might be a good to add them there
will see on some better pictures from someone who will get one

CorsairJock 07-31-2007 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some documentation for reference:

_Tommy D 07-31-2007 06:30 PM

Im trying to look at this one through rose colored glasses, so to speak.

Just recieved another BH model airplane today. I thought I would give one a try before I order the P-36.

The other model is a trike with as advetised some very funky covering. The glue joints look good and the wood does not feel too soft in the model. Wings are sheeted about 1/2 way across the coard top and bottom. It has an advertised AUW of 5.5 lbs and componets come out to 3.5lbs fresh out of the bag.

If the P-36 is constructed much the same way, and covered with something other then recycled mylar balloons this might make a fun Sunday flyer.

As for the retracts, yes I was talking about the lack of rotating retracts. If you leave off the plastic bulges on the wings you might be able to convince the guys at the field one of two things.

If you bother to detail it with some pannel lines and use stars abd bars tell the guys its a pre-production razorback! :D With enough pannel lines, and a fancy pilot they might not call you on it.

Just assemble it, fly it as is and injoy. I do hope one of the builders in this forum with good skills takes the plunge on this one and shows the right way to get it done.

Tommy D

US185Damiani 08-22-2007 03:24 PM

Tommy D where did you order the model?

SunShyne 08-22-2007 11:26 PM

interesting choice as its unique. Granted the retracts are wrong but who cares! Build it and fly it! Def a nice change of pace from all the Mustangs that crowd the sky :D

LDM 08-23-2007 05:26 AM

I got to see this first hand when visiting southern cal , one really nice feature is it has split flaps .
Now for a bash , you will also need to add the counterbalances , but that is an easy fix , covering seemed nice upclose , the spitfire is also a nice offering , split flaps , aprox 71" span

LDM 08-23-2007 05:29 AM

I think this is the "version" or close too that Col.Art Johnson was flying around at Top Gun during the 90ties , anyone remember that ??

Evil_Merlin 08-23-2007 08:28 AM

So has anyone actually picked one of these up yet?

scale dail 08-30-2007 06:58 PM

I keep looking at this one too. the outline of the wing is in question. if the outline is good there is no doubt that it could be made really good. retracts- thats the easy part!

NoFlaps 09-06-2007 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a sucker for things you don't see too often, especially this plane.
The P-36 was the 1st plastic model I ever build for myself, so the moment I saw it for sale, I ordered one.
It arrived in a timely fashion, and is staggering how cheap it is for the quality of work on her.
It's looks similar in quality to a Seagull model (ARF). These planes aren't the greatest, but for the $$ it's a good deal.
Scale modeler's need not really comment as these babies aren't that close at all, but from a stand-off scale point of view, I give kudos to BH models for at-least producing something out of the ordinary.
I'm going to start a build thread, and although I typically do more bashing on such arfs to get them closer to scale, I'm planning on making only modest changes to this one.
In particular, using the correct type of retracts, not using the rivit decals supplied, the wing & flap servo "covers", the tailwheel (perhaps) and concealing the way the exposed wing bolt is exposed.
BH models is vert cleaver not to show images of the bottom of this plane as it's the worst part.
(I'm curious about the BH Spitfire, since they never show the bottom of that one either).
Based on the wing, I may have to do a bit of work to fenagle the new location for the flap servos as they are currently located right where the wheels need to go.
there are a few things that seems kinda cheap that will be easy enough to fix, but as someone stated, it'll certainly be a nice change to the swarms of P-51's out there.

Here are a few pics showing how the entire fuse is sheeted in balsa (incredible work!!), pushrods are re-installed, and how all the bulk-heads have loads of lightening holes making it an ideal candidate foir electric conversion (although I would never do that).

LDM 09-06-2007 04:37 PM

hey you going to have to change your name to "split flaps " , that is one great feature on these new warbirds , there finally listening to some of us , now all we need to do is get retracts correct and the counterbalances in the tail correct and we will never bit... again lol

NoFlaps 09-06-2007 05:16 PM

TRUE TO THAT!
[8D]
I'M SO PLEASED THAT THIS AND SOME OTHER COMPANIES ARE STARTING TO MAKE SOME SPLIT FLAPS...I SUSPECT THE THE BH SPITFIRE HAS THESE FLAPS.
EVEN IF THE PLANES DON'T NECESSARILY NEED THEM, THEY ARE A GREAT ADDITION.
I WANTED TO BUY THE CERMARK SPITFIRE, BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE FLAPS, AND I DON'T HAVE IT IN ME TO RIP OPEN ANOTHER PERFECTLY GOOD WING TO PUT THEM IN, SO I'LL WAIT I GUESS.

I'M HOPING THAT THESE ARE SOME 1ST PASSES THE COMPANIES ARE MAKING AND WILL EVENTUALLY FIX THESE THINGS.
MORE INFO TO COME ON THIS P-36.
STAY TUNED~
:D

LDM 09-06-2007 10:01 PM

Good news , I did see the Spitfire up close , it does have split flaps

NoFlaps 09-07-2007 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What about the landing gear ?
Do the wheels retract up towards the end of the wing like the real one ?
Also, how close together are the wheels at the mounting blocks, the real one was notoriously narrow.
maybe someone will start a thread on that plane.

Back to the P-36A, I installed the engine last night.
I'm using a Zenoah G20ie gasoline engine, I'm so tired of cleaning up all that expensive slime after flights and having that oily exhaust slowly eat up the wood.
With the ability to invert the carb, it fits nicely under the cowl, needing only a few minor openings for the carb & exhaust pipe.
Pics to follow :)
I looked at the wing in more detail, and the aluminum spar/ tube is kindof in the way of where the landing gear struts will go, unfortunately, surgery is a must.
it had me considering making this a french, chinese or Norwegian version with fixed/ conventional gear & wheelpants, but where's the fun in that?!!

NoFlaps 09-07-2007 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics, These show the G20ie installation, cuts req'd for the cowling.
and probably most importantly some images of the inside of the wing. One can clearly see the tube for the aluminum spar, and the variosu wing ribs.
I've already cut out where the aileron servo goes, and you can see I've put a black marker at the points where the flap servo should go, but will need to be relocated.

Evil_Merlin 09-07-2007 01:43 PM

I'm going to order one today. It doesn't look all that bad. For the cost, what is there to lose. At least it LOOKS better than what I got from VQ.

NoFlaps 09-07-2007 02:28 PM

Thus far, the quality of this plane (in particular, as I don't know about other BH models) is on par with hHangar 9.
A really nice touch is that the tail plane surfaces are actually airfoils instead of "flat" flying surfaces.
The only down sides are as I stated previously.
landing rear locations, wing bolt and abount the servos stick out of wings, it thet were recessed a lil' more it sould be a real beauty.
You'll definitely be inpressed by the quality. ;)

LDM 09-07-2007 07:12 PM

Dont know about the retract angle , sorry , I was so impressed with the correct split flaps and the correct counter balance in the tail area .
My CMP spit will need major work on the flaps to get close to the BH version

NoFlaps 10-02-2007 11:01 AM

Yes, The retracts are a real problem...I've started to remedy the problem, and i've also taken a crack at fixing that same tailewheel issue that all these planes have.[8D]

NoFlaps 10-02-2007 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, Here are the pics showing the tailwheel mods, utilizing a Semi-scale tailwheel and mounting it to the the interior of the plane, so that it looks even more scale-like, even though it can't be retracted.[8D]
Also shown is the surgery to make the retracts work correctly as the real plane did.
these are the Robart 90 deg. rotating air retracts...it took a bit of reworking, and I created 4 new (1/2) leading edge airfoil bulhead, the reinforced them with hardwood and 1/8th ply.
Not particularly scale, but close enough to enjoy it more than as it came from the box.
:D
The last item to fix will be the blisters on the leading edge of the wing to conceal the front of the retracts.:eek:

NoFlaps 10-08-2007 02:57 PM

Just for you LDM, I'm fixing the counterbalance on the vertical stab/ rudder.
Pics to soon follow.
I can't be bothered with the rest of the lil' things, the landing gear change has taken quite a bit of reworking and sy=till doesn't great.
i've ordered the H9 p-40 wheel wells and leading edge blisters as the blisters supplied won.t work.
I'm days away from finishing now. [8D]
I can't wait!!! :D