RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6423301-kmp-yt-fw-190-build-thread.html)

DougB1 05-29-2012 12:30 PM

RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Is the g-38 known to be hard to start? I've got one in another ESM plane that I'm getting ready to maiden. I've got no exp. with the zenoahs.
Once you get the mixture correct ( start with 1 1/2 on each ) and the prop in the correct place, it can be hand started. I have a G-26 that CANNOT !!! All it does is pop but does not catch so I have to use a starter on it.

STICK MODE 05-29-2012 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DougB1

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Got to fly my composite ESM FW190 today and it flew GREAT !! I have a G-38 up front and put the battery right behind the fire wall and it balanced right where I wanted it which was at 133cm. Even got the G-38 carb spot on and I can flip start it without an electric starter ( and it's a mag motor ) Have been working on it from last fall to early spring and the work and wait was well worth it.
DougB1
Doug im sure you meant 133mm if it was 133cm that would make it>>>>>> 1,330.0 Millimeters which would be about 4 inches past the rudder lol glad she went good for you mate enjoy cheers Frank
Yes you are correct, it is 133mm I don't use that type of measuring very often and got it mixed up.
Thanks
Doug
Its ok me and inches dont get on how does she fly Doug ive clocked up over 200 fllights on mine that elavator can be powerfull i backed mine of the recomended throws still a lovely plane to fly cheers Frank

DougB1 05-29-2012 01:09 PM

Got to fly my composite ESM FW190 today and it flew GREAT !! I have a G-38 up front and put the battery right behind the fire wall and it balanced right where I wanted it which was at 133cm. Even got the G-38 carb spot on and I can flip start it without an electric starter ( and it's a mag motor ) Have been working on it from last fall to early spring and the work and wait was well worth it.
DougB1
Doug im sure you meant 133mm if it was 133cm that would make it>>>>>> 1,330.0 Millimeters which would be about 4 inches past the rudder lol glad she went good for you mate enjoy cheers Frank
Yes you are correct, it is 133mm I don't use that type of measuring very often and got it mixed up.
Thanks
Doug
Its ok me and inches dont get on how does she fly Doug ive clocked up over 200 fllights on mine that elavator can be powerfull i backed mine of the recomended throws still a lovely plane to fly cheers Frank
It took off straight down the runway, lifted off slowly ( I made sure it had LOTS of speed ) and flew very gracefully. I had to do 8 clicks of down trim and that was it. The first landing was with full flaps and boy does it slow down !! Did 3 flights on it and am looking for many more to come.
Doug

Heli-NuBee 06-05-2012 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I completed my ESM 71" FW-190 today - Hopefully, I will be able to maiden her tomorrow if the wind dies down a bit. Mine is powered by a PTE 36 and the engine sounds great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things go well with the maiden flight.

Best wishes and good safe flying - Heli-NuBee (Roger)

wagen017 06-05-2012 08:39 PM

Roger, she looks beautiful, good luck on the maiden!

Doug, you mention full flaps. What is that, 60 degrees?

Volkert

Redback 06-05-2012 09:38 PM

Roger,

Good luck with the maiden, don't forget the report.

Things to do afterwards:
Replace tailwheel with Dubro semi-scale
Replace shiny plastic spinner
Get some filth and grime on the plane - it's waaaaay too clean

:D:D:D

Terry

Arruda 06-06-2012 07:21 AM

Guys, my plane is almost ready. But I’ll need to put some weight in front to balance the Center of Gravity.
I’m using a DLE-30 engine and I was thinking on fixing some lead plates on the mounting bolts that fix the engine to the stands. Something like a half moon of steel and lead.
Does someone have already tried this arrangement? Is this a crazy idea?
Waiting to hearing from you,
Arruda
<br type="_moz"/>

Heli-NuBee 06-06-2012 11:24 AM

WOW!!! What a hand full! I maidened the plane but it was a bit scary. The elevator had a bit too much up trim on take off and the plane tried to snap roll, I came very close to losing it. Both the elevator and ailerons were to sensitive and that made the plane touchy. Landing was a son of a gun due to the sensitive controls and I came close to losing it again. I slowed down the elevator and ailerons but I also think it may still be a bit on the tail heavy side. I have already put two pounds of lead up front but I believe it still needs a bit more. I only tried the one flight until I add more weight to the nose. (I also needed time to clean my drawers after that flight but at least it is still in one piece.)

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger

Heli-NuBee 06-06-2012 11:33 AM

OK Guys, About the shiny black spinner, it is just temporary. I have had a black and white swirl spinner backordered at Troy Built Models for some time. When and if I receive the correct spinner, I will get rid of the shiny black spinner.

Roger

Mpizpilot 06-06-2012 12:46 PM

I used the same idea, except did not mount the half circle shaped lead to the engine mountain bolts. Just mounted to the firewall.

Mpizpilot 06-06-2012 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

WOW!!! What a hand full! I maidened the plane but it was a bit scary. The elevator had a bit too much up trim on take off and the plane tried to snap roll, I came very close to losing it. Both the elevator and ailerons were to sensitive and that made the plane touchy. Landing was a son of a gun due to the sensitive controls and I came close to losing it again. I slowed down the elevator and ailerons but I also think it may still be a bit on the tail heavy side. I have already put two pounds of lead up front but I believe it still needs a bit more. I only tried the one flight until I add more weight to the nose. (I also needed time to clean my drawers after that flight but at least it is still in one piece.)

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger
Scan back a bit in this thread and you'll see my maiden was exactly the same, very lucky to get it back in one piece. The cg and throws listed in the manual are waaayyy wrong. Once you get it where it should be,it's a great flying, solid feeling airplane.

Mpizpilot 06-06-2012 12:50 PM

My maiden flight sounds just like yours.

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Successful maiden today! (Well sort of). Finally got around to putting the first flight on this bird and it was a complete handful. I've got to dial down my rates even farther and recheck my cg and it was waay tail heavy. Amost lost it on take off as it went almost vertical,then combined with the incredibly powerful ailerons and elevators it was the most stressful 9 minutes of flying I've ever done. It also didnt help that above the tree line the wind was so turbulent it would put the airplane on it side every time. I had actually consigned myself to the fact that the airplane was in the least going to be damaged,at worst destroyed, but somehow I was able to get it on the ground without a scratch.

Can I ask what most of you guys are using for CG and throws again? I know its buried in this thread somewhere, but I'm just too burned out to scan through all this.

There were a couple of positives though for sure, the DLE 30 does great in the plane and runs just fantastic. The ESM gear performed flawlessly and even absorbed my not so pretty arrival. I'm extremely glad I repainted the bottom of the plane as it really presented well in the air and made it very easy to see. I'm sure once I get it dialed in I'll be happy with it.

DougB1 06-06-2012 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: wagen017

Roger, she looks beautiful, good luck on the maiden!

Doug, you mention full flaps. What is that, 60 degrees?

Volkert
I have about 45 degrees which slowed it down a lot. My balance point is at 133mm and was perfect ( this is the composite model )
Doug

Heli-NuBee 06-06-2012 05:58 PM

Hey mpizpilot

As you can tell, my flight was also quite stressful. Take off and landing were unreal and just flying it was a real challenge. I was also fortunate not to lose the airplane on the first flight. Now that I reduced the control throws and will add some more nose weight, my next flight should be much easier.

Roger

Mpizpilot 06-06-2012 06:03 PM

130mm seemed to be the magic number for me concerning the cg. I was so scared to fly it again after the first flight, I wasn't sure I was up to it. The second flight was completely different.

Dowmer 06-06-2012 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I finally managed to maiden mine last week....well, sort of. It didn't end well due to my own stupidity and fat fingers.http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...s/smiley19.gif</p>

After all the normal checks etc I rolled down the runway. It started to pull to the left like I figured so I fed in some right rudder. Of course I fed in too much andover corrected to the right just as the plane was getting lift. I panicked, because it was heading for a marsh at the side of the runway and pulled backon theelevator. With the touchy elevator, of course if jumped off the ground before it was ready ( duhhh, heavy planes need speedhttp://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif) and wing tip stalled to the left and went down like a sack of bricks, breaking off the gear and a few scrapes. Definitely fixable but a bruised ego nonetheless. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...s/smiley18.gif</p>

Lesson learned, Dont over correct (I know It won't be the last) and more importantly, keep the darn plane on the ground to build up speed!! http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif</p>

Here's a couple pics before the mishap.http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...s/smiley11.gif

</p>

DougB1 06-06-2012 07:18 PM

What other sizes does the FW190 come in ( any mfg ) I have the ESM and would like to go bigger.
Thanks
Doug

kahloq 06-10-2012 08:23 AM

What other sizes does the FW190 come in ( any mfg ) I have the ESM and would like to go bigger.
Thanks
Doug
ESM also has a 50cc size 82.5" wingspan fw-190 d9

If your looking for an Anton, well for arf's....there really arent any until you go really big....BUT....
Airworld has an A version
102.5" kit price for the arf $2200
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/airworldfw190.html

Petrausch 92.5"
kit price 1995
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/petrauschfw190.html

Sist 82.7
Kit price 1750(last I knew...these werent being made anymore..no idea if there are any in stock)
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sistfw190A1-5.html

And the real low end non scale looking easytigermodels fw-190 ish something or other:
95"
price $995
http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...products_id=91

There are of course many kits(not arfs or even composite fuselage kits)
Meister scale
Platt etc

SimonV6 06-11-2012 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Starmer

I finally managed to maiden mine last week....well, sort of. It didn't end well due to my own stupidity and fat fingers. After all the normal checks etc I rolled down the runway. It started to pull to the left like I figured so I fed in some right rudder. Of course I fed in too much and over corrected to the right just as the plane was getting lift. I panicked, because it was heading for a marsh at the side of the runway and pulled back on the elevator. With the touchy elevator, of course if jumped off the ground before it was ready ( duhhh, heavy planes need speed and wing tip stalled to the left and went down like a sack of bricks, breaking off the gear and a few scrapes. Definitely fixable but a bruised ego nonetheless.

Sorry to Hear of your little mishap Jason, after all your great work on it :(

I almost had the same mishap yesterday after taking off on a damp and mossy field, hit a bad patch near end of take off run that really held her back but had just enough speed to get it up before the hedge, but it was slow and all over the place, but got the gear up real quick and it stablised after that and she climbed away...but had my heart going lol...........landing was easier, as that side of the field was a bit drier, was thinking "nose over" here we come ;)

I actually ran the engine afterward thinking i had a low rpm or something, but no she was pulling like a freight train, so all down to bad grass field :(

I wish the UK would start basking in some summer for a change lol :)

Ramstein44 06-11-2012 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Thanks
Doug
ESM also has a 50cc size 82.5'' wingspan fw-190 d9

If your looking for an Anton, well for arf's....there really arent any until you go really big....BUT....
Airworld has an A version
102.5'' kit price for the arf $2200
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/airworldfw190.html

Petrausch 92.5''
kit price 1995
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/petrauschfw190.html

Sist 82.7
Kit price 1750(last I knew...these werent being made anymore..no idea if there are any in stock)
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sistfw190A1-5.html

And the real low end non scale looking easytigermodels fw-190 ish something or other:
95''
price $995
http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...products_id=91

There are of course many kits(not arfs or even composite fuselage kits)
Meister scale
Platt etc

Dont forget,

Bob Holman, Vailly Aviation, David Anderson, Don Smith designs and IMP. The most sale FW190 Anton is the Don Smith which were designed from Bently drawings.

kahloq 06-11-2012 08:44 AM

Those are great of course, but are kits....not arfs. I do not presume to know what DougB1 was wanting...arf or kits.....I listed the arf's and composite versions I knew of bigger then this esm 71" version.......

Thank you for expanding the list of those that are kit/plans.

Ramstein44 06-11-2012 12:33 PM

Oh.. I didnt see from the way it was written that he was specific to ARF only and was like you, just adding to the kits per your last paragraph. Maybe it was the "any MFG" that threw me.

The Holman kit comes with foam cored wings and glass fuse.. Considering all the efforts some place into the ESM FW190's, they could build the Holman better.

Just an idea.:D

I've noticed that Germany has all the best ARF's of the 190. I'm curently attempting to gain information on a very scale FW190 apparently only sold there and the UK[:@][:@]. Hopefully I succeed in obtaining one.

wagen017 06-11-2012 01:37 PM

How much expo are you guys running? I am now flying pattern and 60% or even more is not uncommon. This normally fixes problems with excessive throws.

Volkert

kahloq 06-11-2012 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I've noticed that Germany has all the best ARF's of the 190. I'm curently attempting to gain information on a very scale FW190 apparently only sold there and the UK[:@][:@]. Hopefully I succeed in obtaining one.
Yup, there are several over in Germany that arent available here. I forgot the company selling them, but could find ut if needed.

DougB1 06-11-2012 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: wagen017

How much expo are you guys running? I am now flying pattern and 60% or even more is not uncommon. This normally fixes problems with excessive throws.

Volkert
I do not use expo in anything, UNLESS it is something REALLY fast ( 100mph plus ) then it is about 25-35 percent. I myself like to feel what the plane is doing when I move the stick the slightest. I have flown this way for years but not to say it is the correct way but the way I have learned. I think it is how a person can put the inputs in and feel comfortable with their model.
DougB1