RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   25% Cessna L-19/0-1 Bird Dog build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6837866-25%25-cessna-l-19-0-1-bird-dog-build.html)

navyt28 10-03-2010 03:41 PM

RE: 25% Cessna L-19/0-1 Bird Dog build

Hallo Calven

Congratulation to maiden flight !

I had also maiden flight two months ago with my 25% Bird Dog and must be pleased with 28 lbs weight.
My Bird- Dog flyes and landes like yours without proplems.
I wish You all the best for the next flights.

Franz

AIRPLANENUTS 11-21-2010 01:36 AM

Calven,

Sorry for the delayed response, but very nice e-Bird! First one I've seen @ that scale. I'm impressed at the short field landing, too. I saw the goal post on the other end of the runway. That would scare the crap out of me......

Nice job. Love to see more pics if you have them.

Take care,
Rick

AIRPLANENUTS 11-21-2010 01:44 AM

Guys, here's a question for ya. The lift tube @ the fuse, forward of the horizontal stab and below the fin - does it retract ( I assume so), and if so, how does it extend and retract and stay in place in either position? I'd like to add this detail to my 1/5 scale O-1.

Thanks,
Rick

gsmith6879 11-21-2010 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: AIRPLANENUTS

Guys, here's a question for ya. The lift tube @ the fuse, forward of the horizontal stab and below the fin - does it retract ( I assume so), and if so, how does it extend and retract and stay in place in either position? I'd like to add this detail to my 1/5 scale O-1.

Thanks,
Rick
I'm designing a 1/3 scale Bird Dog and I have a number of Bird Dogs just down the road from me and the guys that own them are full of information. The lift tube is an outer tube built into the fuselage and then they just slide a smaller tube into that tube to move the airplane around. In the photo below they have the lift tube inserted. The photo from the other side just shows the hole in in the fuselage. The inner tube is not long enough to go all the way through. The red tape is to remind them to remove it before taking off. Would make a pretty good dent in something if they forgot. I plan to insert and glue an aluminum tube in the fuselage at this point after I get the fuselage built.

AIRPLANENUTS 11-22-2010 01:18 PM

Gsmith, thank you for that info. I guess I'll just install a tube in the fuse and put the lettering "LIFT" over it. Nice and easy!

Wow, a 1/3 scale! Love to see pics of that monster!

Rick

gsmith6879 11-22-2010 02:22 PM

Gsmith, thank you for that info. I guess I'll just install a tube in the fuse and put the lettering ''LIFT'' over it. Nice and easy!

Wow, a 1/3 scale! Love to see pics of that monster!

Rick
Rick,

I've attached a photo of the hole and the markings.

You can follow the 1/3 scale design and build here:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=15387&PN=1

Gaines

roknHS 11-23-2010 01:32 PM

I understand that most of the content the past 30 pages is about the Vailly L-19. However, the IKON L-19 is similiar so there may be some IKON owners that frequent this topic.
I just got an IKON L-19 in a trade. The airframe is pretty much done and ready for windows, interior and electronics. I have the instruction manual and the plans but, I see no reference to control surface throws or approx. flying weight.
I was hoping to run into an IKON owner or hear from a builder that is familiar with the IKON L-19 and learn some of this information. Right now I have approx. 1 1/2" of rudder throw each direction. I know it's a big rudder but, that doesn't seem like much compared to my other 1/4 scale tail draggers.
Probably the Vailly and the IKON Bird Dogs are very similiar in flight characteristics. Although, the IKON may build lighter........the engine recommendation was for a 120 four stroke or a Super Tiger 3000. I think this plane will finish out in the 24 -25lb range. I would think something in the 40cc size range would be better.

Calling all L-19 experts................

AIRPLANENUTS 11-24-2010 10:03 PM

Thanks Gaines. I'll use that pic to detail mine. I'll check out the thread, too. Thanks for the link.

Rick

redtail 11-27-2010 12:26 PM

Just wanted to tell all you "DAWG" lovers and builders that I am still watching this thread very closely. I have not given up on my DAWG, it will fly sometime next year. I am really proud of what I see and will certainly steal a few ideas from some of you. Ken, I think about you often and will visit you in Hickory one of these days. Give my best to the family. Happy holidays to all of you. Chic

biggles124 01-04-2011 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
roknHS I have 2 of the Ikon N west 1/4 scale L-19`s Purchased a kit about 2 years ago, then the other month someone in this country was selling a ready to run exactly the same kit so i bought it. it is fitted with a Zenoah 38 Petrol engine and I am running a Spektrum Evolution AR9200 receiver with 2, 6v 3300mah Nimh. only had about 5 flights with it and love it to bits. came in the colour of green with the markings in the box on it but going to do it in the next couple of months the same scheme as my mates full size one.

Stephen

sdunn 01-04-2011 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely beautiful work you are doing! I have 1500 hrs in the O-1 and have restored three. Here are some photos of the last one that I restored with some launcher detail. The paint and markings are 183rd Aviation Company "seahorses" Vietnam circa 1969/1970. The paint is exact as we obtained the museum color swatches and codes, the finish is satin.

The "O" prefix in the tail number does not signify O-1 it indicates that the aircraft is over 10 years old. I flew this aircraft to the Seahorses reunion at Ft. Rucker a few years ago.

Best Regards,
Steve

sdunn 01-04-2011 03:38 PM

Thanks,
Rick
The lift tube is aluminum and telescopes into the larger hole it is captive. There is no external piece to insert. By the way, the tail on an O-1 weighs 175 lbs and you cannot lift it, the handle is to push it around on the ground.

IFLYBVM2 01-04-2011 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A pic of my 1/4 Valley 'dog, which should get the maiden in the next week or two, weather permitting. I can't take credit for the build-that was done by Wayne Fussell, the Solo prop guy. Power is G-62, weight is 32ish.
-Mike Oberst

sdunn 01-04-2011 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures that may be of some help. The 2.75" rocket in the photo is real but inert and has the HE head on it, the WP came in several sizes and were painted a different color.

All O-1 instrument panels in Vietnam were light gray not black. The launchers on the O-1 I restored were the shorter tubes most often used by the AF as they could load the larger WP heads.

I hope this information is of some use to you guys.

Best Regards,
Steve

AIRPLANENUTS 01-05-2011 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, thank you for the info on the lift tube, and all the other info and pics, too. I hadn't read what you wrote about the instrument panels.

Can you tell me, are these WP's (if I managed to get the image to load). These are what I modeled on my 1/5 scale Bird Dog, and plan to do the same on my 1/4 scale.

Rick

sj3cub 01-07-2011 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: IFLYBVM2

A pic of my 1/4 Valley 'dog, which should get the maiden in the next week or two, weather permitting. I can't take credit for the build-that was done by Wayne Fussell, the Solo prop guy. Power is G-62, weight is 32ish.
-Mike Oberst

Do you think your weight is going to be a issue at 1/4 scale? 32lbs seems more like 1/3 scale weight?

IFLYBVM2 01-07-2011 11:29 AM

No, the original owner has many flights on it. It is very scaled out and that's where the weight comes from. Full functional lighting package, dual pilots, etc, etc-adds up fast.
Thanks-Mike O

sdunn 01-09-2011 03:14 PM

Steve, thank you for the info on the lift tube, and all the other info and pics, too. I hadn't read what you wrote about the instrument panels.

Can you tell me, are these WP's (if I managed to get the image to load). These are what I modeled on my 1/5 scale Bird Dog, and plan to do the same on my 1/4 scale.

Rick
Good Evening Rick,

The ones in your photo look like dummy heads. The WP rockets look just like the picture I posted except they are white with red tip. The AF also used a larger WP warhead that was like a large bulge (RPG) but I have never seen any that look like the pointed ones in your photo mounted on an O-1.

There were some HVAR rockets (5") that were shaped like that.

I am just starting to get back in to RC after many years. I think I may do another Sig Cub (modeled after my L-4B) and convert to electric, I have built several of them and love the way they fly.

Steve

khodges 02-03-2011 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: frank99

mr khodges i have a 1000$ to spend before my wife finds it, if you still have the L-19 thanks frank

Looks like Frank has himself an L-19 to finish. Hide that cash until I get everything boxed up.

frank99 02-03-2011 08:43 PM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa got her a job too

frank99 02-04-2011 08:38 AM

the 114th is bad to the bone what a fleet of aircraft, nice flight , i have one coming and go to dallas a lot and i am a wont a be pilot might drop in some time thanks frank

cjtyped 03-14-2011 08:46 AM

Benn following this thread, even though I am building a 1/3 Cessna 170, I have found many tips and techniques here. Thank You all for your help. I find the 170 and Bird Dog have a lot in common. As such, can anyone tell me the usual diameter of the round access panels used on the BD, and I am guessing 6 screws per panel? Can anyone point me to a diagram of where these panels are located on the wing of the BD?
Thanks again

RICMOD5634 03-14-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cjtyped: Here are a couple pic's that might help, if you can save them and inlarge.
Rich 1/5 scale BD

gsmith6879 03-14-2011 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: cjtyped

Benn following this thread, even though I am building a 1/3 Cessna 170, I have found many tips and techniques here. Thank You all for your help. I find the 170 and Bird Dog have a lot in common. As such, can anyone tell me the usual diameter of the round access panels used on the BD, and I am guessing 6 screws per panel? Can anyone point me to a diagram of where these panels are located on the wing of the BD?
Thanks again
I'm building a 1/3 scale Bird Dog. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=15387&PN=1 You are right, Cessna used the 170 wing and the 195 tail feathers to develop the Bird Dog. I have a very good 3 view of the bottom of the wing and have access to a full scale. There are 3 basic sizes shown on the 3 view and they scale out to 6", 5", and the 3 that are next to the flap area are elliptical and are 4 3/8" x 3 3/4". My 3 views show that they have 4 screws each installed at 45 degrees from center. The image may help. The next trip to look at the full scale I will measure them for my scale detail work. PM me and we can get into more detail.

skypup50 03-16-2011 11:59 AM

I just ordered the 74" span BH arf from Hobby People. It's on sale for $40.00 off. I'm going to try electric first and maybe a saito fg-14 later. Anyone build one of these?