RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P38 "FULL METAL JACKET" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7169144-p38-%22full-metal-jacket%22.html)

Jetjockgb 03-18-2008 03:56 PM

RE: P38 "FULL METAL JACKET"

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Phil,

I'm trying my best to get her done for your get together but I'm now getting Ali's 190 up to scratch and ready for Scampi.
I would like to have her on her feet for colt and get some engine running done and all the other checks,and if there is not a pile of nuts and bolts lying under her after the engine runs,we will be GOOD TO GO!!!!!!.
Phil how are you balancing Peter's one,{with gear down or gear up???} I found a few threads just on this topic of the 38,I will dig them out for you,worth a read.

Hi Dave,
it will be so good when you get that Tiger up and going,lets hope my one last's long enough or if I have not sold her by then??????

Hi Richard,
Regarding the chrome paint choice,well, I would now after using it on the P38 recomend the Lesonal Platnum,as it is more hard wearing and also more forgiving ,as it is slightly thicker and covers well,however I will still use the Mira Chrome on smaller parts just to give it a bit more sparkel.
The choice is down to you,if you want a highly polished chrome,go for the ALSA Mira chrome or if you want a good alround metal paint ,it has to be the Lesonal platnum which is perfect for a true WW11 Warbird.
Richard,I have been asked to do an article for a German model magizne about the process on how I apply the chrome paint,once it's done I could send you the article,I do not know when it will be though.
Another group wants me to do a DVD on the Chrome paint!!!!! not sure about that though,last thing you want is to see my big fat mug on TV:D
Hi Steve,
Here are some pics of the Nose art .

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

nmacwarbirds 03-18-2008 06:07 PM

Dear Graham
I am glad to hear things are going well with the P38.
You have to balance things in the worst case scenario
In the case of the P38, that is with the wheels up, because the wheels are retracting backwards.
If you did it with the wheels down, when you retracted the wheels rearward you could possible have a too far aft CG.
I hope that makes sense. Peter's P38 needed 12Oz in the tail, he has Fuji 50's in his, so hopefully with yours having Z38's
you may not need any at all.

Don't go and make yourself ill by working excessive hours on all of these models that you are involved with.

Regards Phil G.

Jetjockgb 03-18-2008 09:37 PM

Hi Phil,

Yes I know all about balancing with the wheels back but on the Ziroli plans wheels are down,the thing is, I like to find out from other guys that have flown certain planes before the big day as they have went through all the teething troubles,for example I have flown all the Yellow Aircraft jet stuff and the F16-F18 and the big twin F18 all showed the c/g in the wrong place,I always remember John Herman nearly stuffing his F18 in,guess what, plans said balance with gear back,we ended up with the C/G 1 1/2 " FORWARD of there position.

Phil have a look at this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53..._1/key_/tm.htm

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

nmacwarbirds 03-19-2008 04:56 AM

Dear Graham
I see what you mean, we will go as posted above, CG, slight nose down with wheels retracted and tanks empty.
The weather looks hopeless for the weekend.

Regards Phil G.

Jetjockgb 03-19-2008 11:06 AM

Hi Phil,

Yes I have got my fingers crossed for you,this weather we have suck's,roll on the summer,that won't be much better,but we live in hope!!!.

Phil, how are you setting up the throtels on the 38,I was toying with the idea of a Matchbox mixer in the nose cone,for ease of fine tuning,what do you think,I know you can mix it on the Trani but this might be good idea to tune up while engines are running and it would save all that faffing about wth re- setting the servo arms & linckages.

Cheers Graham
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

pitsspecial 03-19-2008 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Jetjockgb

Hi Phil,

Yes I have got my fingers crossed for you,this weather we have suck's,roll on the summer,that won't be much better,but we live in hope!!!.

Phil, how are you setting up the throtels on the 38,I was toying with the idea of a Matchbox mixer in the nose cone,for ease of fine tuning,what do you think,I know you can mix it on the Trani but this might be good idea to tune up while engines are running and it would save all that faffing about wth re- setting the servo arms & linckages.

Cheers Graham
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET
Hi Phil/Graham,

I would suggest you dont use any electrical mixer boxes at all, buy 2 Futaba 3001's use 3mm rod with decent linkages, keep these as short as possible, identicle servo arms, have no slop anywhere, and do it all mechanicly, keep it simple mate!!

Di n Dave...

Glacier Girl 03-19-2008 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Graham,
Just had to stop by and say WOW Your craftmanship is extrordinary.BRAVO!!!!!

I would never have the skill to sit there and do all that detailing.

I'm building the VQ version now. Instead of the degree of detailing you have done, I've gone a different route. Mine will be a copy of the "Super Strafer" P38.
One of the odd ball in field variants, carrying 8 guns in the nose and 2 additional ones on each wing pod. Here's the only picture I've found of it's existance.

Jetjockgb 03-19-2008 03:54 PM

Hi Dave,
Yes I have already taken your advice on the servo and short arm set up which works a treat, thanks.
Dave,yes I will set up throt servos and rods so they are runing the same,but you know what it's like,as soon as you have got the cowls & spiners all back on, one is sure to be slightly out[:@] so thats why I was thinking of the small matchbox mixer,I would have it mounted in the nose cone with all the other services,I think it would also make sence as the engines are new so they will differ from each flight until they are run inn.
If it don't work I can unplug it,and you will be standing there saying I told you so:D:D.

Hi Glacier Girl,

Thank you very much for your kind words,it keeps me going as these bloody rivets are getting me down.
Regarding the detailing ,yes it all takes time and you start to think is it all worth while,in the long run it is,as you can stand back and admire all your work until you spot somthing else you could do,it's nowing when to stop is the problem with me,I just can't help my self.
Thanks for sharing the Super Strafer with us,never seen that one before,it looks prety cool,I hope you keep us posted on your build,any pics????

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

pitsspecial 03-19-2008 04:19 PM

Hi Graham,

Its up to you then, i diddent know you had already fitted servos/rods, well then the only other thing you can do is either fit a Matchbox so you can adjust it OR!!! fit scale opening inspection doors in the side of the cowls so you can get to the linkages to adjust them!!!:D:D

I will see how you get on and decide what i will do with the Tigercat.......

Night off tonight, give time for the clear coat to dry!!

Di n Dave...

Jetjockgb 03-20-2008 11:41 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes I was going to do the Hatches but the cowls were already cut,so I optted out.
I will give the Matchbox a go,it should work fine,Ali is sending one down with some of his bits,so I will have it for Colt:D.

I will get some more pics up of the booms,again so much more work than I first thought[&o][&o] The paint looks like a patch work quilt!!!!mask,mask,mask,I have used 7 different colours for the base coat,so fingers crossed.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Jetjockgb 03-21-2008 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Here is part???????!!!!! so what do you think of my psychedelic camo:D:D:D
As you can see I have used about seven colours for the base cote,and I have painted all the fastners gloss Balck,that took a while but worth it.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Jetjockgb 03-21-2008 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more of the Camo

Jetjockgb 03-21-2008 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Here is the Boom with the first coat of platnum on,any patches that are to prominent with the colours coming through ,just go over with another fine dusting,you can only tell if the are any uneven patches once you take it outside in the daylight,so it's worth checking as it does not matter how much light you have in yous work shop,daylight is best.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Jetjockgb 03-21-2008 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Here is the last lot for the day,I hope you all have a happy Easter.

Cheers Graham
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

skull1971 03-22-2008 03:02 AM

Outstanding!!,, Mr. Graham you sir are a one of a kind skilled craftsman!! Makes me want to go dig my giant scale jug out of the closet and spend the next 10 years with my hands CA'd together. :D

Mr Graham, I also sent you a PM.

Thank you

ramcfarland 03-22-2008 11:49 AM

Awsome work.

Jetjockgb 03-22-2008 05:22 PM

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your kind words on the 38,it's very much appreciated.

Eric, I have been using the Lesonal paint on the P38 which comes from Germany,I'm not sure if you can get it in the US??? We will be selling this paint soon, but another great product you could try is from the Alsa Corp ,they do the Mirra Chrome and Ghost chrome paint,the finishes from these ar amazing but a bit on the pricy side!!!
Alsa also do there Killer cans in the Mirra & Ghost chromes,these work out a bit cheaper,or you could try there paint kit which has every thing needed to get the supper chrome.
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...irrachrome.htm

Hi Richard,
Thank you yet again[sm=thumbup.gif]

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

skull1971 03-25-2008 08:23 PM

Hello again Graham, we've got the ALSA Killer Chrome on the way,, Thank You. It's not cheap at all, but the owner of the plane I'm building and I are very excited. In stead of a white painted, "Whatever" plane we're gonna have a head turner, ya know a real special Hanger Queen!

Hey also update us on your progress,I LOVE the P-38 and would like to see what you've done so far.

Glacier Girl 03-26-2008 11:55 AM

Skull, don't know if you've seen it or if you're looking for that type of finish, but Krylon makes a chrome in their premium line of spray paints. I've used it on a couple of birds and its going on my 38. Closest spray can finish I've ever seen to chrome look. Will give the illusion of highly polished aluminum. Excellent one coat coverage, and none of that streaky finish you can get with these types of paint. Does like most spray silvers/chromes, etc, take a while to dry.

pitsspecial 03-26-2008 06:45 PM

Hi Graham,

How do you fancy a bit more braseing for me? ive spoken to my builder tonight, he wants me to make up an elevator joiner, he had some other queries which i have sorted out, ive spoken to Leon at Belair today and the wing joining tubes have arrived so they are going to be posted straight to the builder, the retracts have been delayed again due to the Toledo model show slowing up his orders, should turn up at the end of April, the build has started!!!!:D:D:D:D

Di n Dave...

skull1971 03-27-2008 01:44 AM

Really?? do you have any pictures?? That would be great, if there was another paint out there, we got the Alsa 'Killer Chrome " on the way already, but it's a wallet killer[>:]. Now I'm not picking on them , they seem to be a first class company, BUT, I better be able to shave with a wing panel when I get finished, or there's a man in Utah that's gonna want to string me up ;).

Now on to the foolish question, are you one of the guys with Glacier Girl, or just using the name?

Glacier Girl 03-27-2008 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just the name. LOL

I'll post some pics of mine done up with it, soon as I wrap her up. Paint is like $4.00 an 8oz can. It covers well, I did a 64" w/s Magister completly, with less then one can.
You can see part of it in the foreground of this shot. Look close and you can see the prop reflection on the cowl. Pretty good for for unprepped foam.

skull1971 03-27-2008 09:27 AM

WOW that's pretty nice, hi end Krylon right? That's one hell of a hanger you have there, love the Corsair hanging there, it's the #2 favorite after the P-38. You guys with basements kinda got it made, here in Texas, a basement is almost unheard of, so I'm the garage with the wifes car. I said something about needing more room and her parking outside,,, she told me if I needed more room just move the planes outside. Dang lost another one[:@].lol

Jetjockgb 03-27-2008 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Skull & Glacier Girl,

Let's settle this paint thing, the Mirra chrome is the most reflective PAINT on the market,the reson for this is, the mira chrome has the smallest metal partical ,there fore giving it's high reflectivity,when you buy it from Alsa in the bottle,it looks just like silver water!!!!.

I will say this again,it is all down to your prep work,and if you want that supper shine,you must use high gloss black and it will come out like a mirror.
Here is a shot of the Lesonal Platnum on the P38,you can clearly see my dirty finger in the reflection,and this is not the Mirra chrome!!!!!
so Skull ,you have done the right thing going with Alsa if you want that super shine.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

skull1971 03-27-2008 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Graham, didn't mean to go against ya there, we ordered the Killer chrome, and for what is cost, it'd better be good, if it dosen't live up to it's hype, we're gonna lynch someone, at Alsa. The gentleman I'm building for wants the polished alum finish, and that's what started all these post. Plus your P-38. Anyway. thank you again, and keep up the great work, I cant wait to see the finished aircraft.

I know it isn't a war bird but this is what he wants, well me too.