RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P38 "FULL METAL JACKET" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7169144-p38-%22full-metal-jacket%22.html)

skull1971 04-26-2008 08:00 PM

RE: P38 "FULL METAL JACKET"

What is LMA you guys are always talking about??

smudgersmiff 04-27-2008 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: skull1971

What is LMA you guys are always talking about??

Large Model Association [link=http://www.largemodelassociation.com/]LMA[/link]

Jeff

ILove2Bld 04-27-2008 07:47 PM

[size=2]Hello Graham,

What kit is this a Ziroli?

I would like to say that your blends of wings to fuse and horizontal stabilizers Are the best that I have ever seen and the weathering on the gun barrels is perfect. You are a master builder. Keep up the awesome work. I am impressed.

pitsspecial 05-26-2008 03:19 PM

Hi Graham,

Where have yee gone?? its all gone quite? i know you woz working your butt off to get it finished and made yourself ill over it, but im sure your over that now, so mate, what you gona do?

Would be good to see you get the ground checks sorted out and finaly get to fly it!!

All the best,
Di n Dave...

mR JoLLy 05-29-2008 02:23 AM

Just to let you know he is in Belgium this week. Not sure if it's a holiday or a re-con. I think he is back at the weekend.

JoLLy

skull1971 05-30-2008 10:21 PM

where'd the video end up? never got to see it fly. [:o]

pitsspecial 05-31-2008 02:25 PM

Hi,

No video as yet, the P38 has had its taxi runs, its been put to rest at the moment at our Warbird Factory while Graham has a well deserved rest, he made himself ill with being up most of the night for weeks trying to get this ready to fly, im sure he will post something on here when he gets back to it, last time i spoke he was waiting for the masks to turn up for the nose art, so im sure he will post the progress with that.

Keep watching, its not over yet!!!!!

Di n Dave...

smudgersmiff 06-02-2008 02:26 PM

Dave.

Give him my best please.

Jeff

Jetjockgb 06-09-2008 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All.

Thanks for asking,yep much better now and I have had a bit of a break from the building.
I'm a Happy Bunny as the P38 made on the front cover of the latest AMI mag,honest I did not bribe them:D

Just waiting on the nose art from Nigel and she's all done.

Cheers Graham
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Jetjockgb 07-10-2008 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Just a quick up date,
After some long and hard work from Nigel, he has just done all the paint masks for Little Buckaroo,and as you can see from the picks his work is bang on,so if you are looking for paint masks,decals and stencils he is your man, http://www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk/

We are off to "Flying Legends Airshow" at Duxford on the Sunday with the P38 so I will get some better pics to post up, and I might post up some of the full-size!!! Can't wait to here those Merlins firing up!!!!!!

Cheers Graham.
WWW.tigermodels.net

Jetjockgb 07-14-2008 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Managed to get a good pic of Little Buck @ Flying Legends yesterday, here she is in front of the Liberty Bell B17.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.tigermodels.net

mR JoLLy 07-14-2008 03:11 AM

I think between us we have done the Little Buckaroo some justice Graham. It just shows what can be done with paint masks and an frustrated artist ;)

Nice shot by the way.

I'll see you at Cosford Saturday!

Nigel
[link=http://www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk]www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk[/link]

v6goose 07-14-2008 07:05 AM

Absolutely gentlemen...

Superb work, congrats!

Goose

vease 08-21-2008 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There were a lot of very nice models on display at Duxford but the P38 got the lost attention by far!!!

Slow Low 08-21-2008 05:49 PM

...can't thank you enough for the pics of the AWESOME planes - where I live, I can't even buy a magazine with shots of such glory

v6goose 08-22-2008 07:08 AM

Hey Slow...

Pick up the latest copy of FlyRC and then check out my site [link=http://www.goosesworld.com/aircraft/_rcairshows.html]here...[/link]

Enjoy!

Goose

Slow Low 08-22-2008 07:53 AM

I'm in heaven!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

at-6 texan 08-22-2008 09:39 PM

[X(] very very beautyful photos!!!!!......[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

langerl 08-22-2008 11:45 PM

I'll echo everyone. Great work Graham!

Now, if there's still time left, look into a little piece of electronics called a Twin Synch. It's explained (some what) on the RC Showcase website. A good friend of mine is the principal gas engine beta tester for the Twin Synch developer and I have personally seen the device save several twins. As you no doubt have heard, losing an engine on a twin can become REAL exciting and REAL fatal for a model in a heartbeat. The P-38 is especially susceptible to the dreaded one-engine, flat spin notification of single engine operation. So, in the interest of sustained Twinmanship, I offer the following (unpaid) advice:

Everyone, please, please, protect your lovely 38s with a (relatively) cheap bit of electronics called a Twin Sych. It plugs into both throttle servos and from there to the throttle channel on your receiver. In a nutshell here's what it does for you:
1. It lets you concentrate on tuning each engine, independently, at your leisure, for optimum / safe performance without having to worry about synching with the other engine.
2. When engaged (by command on the transmitter) the Twin Synch will reduce the RPMs of the stronger engine down to the (slightly) weaker and keep both engine RPMs within a selectable range (150, or 250 RPM or your call).
3. You will not have to demand absolute silence while you fly or listen for a lost engine all the time. In the event of an inflight engine failure, the Twin Synch will automatically retard the full power engine to a preset idle (RPMs programmable). Rather than a snap roll and spin notifying you that you have a problem, your model will just begin slowing down. When you catch on the the airplane doesn't want to fly any more, you retard the throttle to idle, then (again as programmed) you can add power to the good engine (and the weak motor if its still running) while holding in all the aileron and rudder you can manage. At this time you KNOW you are looking for a place to land, but you can usually stretch the rate of decent into a fairly well controlled approach (and hopefully an uneventful landing).
4. You can have an adult beverage while your heart rate returns to 150 over 200.

In my book, I'd MUCH rather be informed I'm in BIG TROUBLE by a slowing model than a snap and a flat spin. Sooo,

If you've already got a Twin Synch Graham, and I've missed reading about it in your thread, NEVER MIND.

I contribute the above because I just wanted to preserve your lovely work as long as possible.

Best of Luck on the Maiden!!!

Regards,
Lynn (the guy who researched getting you a P38 back here in the States a while back....)

v6goose 08-25-2008 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: at-6 texan

[X(] very very beautyful photos!!!!!......[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Thanks guys... appreciate it...

Goose

pitsspecial 08-25-2008 03:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Sound like i need one of those Twin Synch gizmo's in my Don Smith Tigercat! how does it 'know' when the other motor has gone off to shut the remaining motor down? has it got a crankshaft sensor fitted to each engine? who distibutes them? cost??

Thank you,
Di n Dave...

langerl 08-25-2008 06:56 PM

Hi Pits,
Yeah, each motor is fitted with a Hall Effect sensor; essentially a magnetic pick up (similar to an ignition sensor) that sends the RPM count to the Twin Synch circuitry. The firmware processes the RPM count of each engine and sends a servo command back to the higher RPM engine servo to pull back the throttle until the "strong" engine RPM count is within programmed limits (150 or 250 RPMs) of the "weaker" motor. In the event of a complete engine failure (Zero RPMs) the still running engine servo is commanded to idle. When the pilot pulls the transmitter throttle to idle, the Twin Synch is "reset" and the pilot may once again command the working motor to what ever limits he programs into the Twin Synch.

Hope this explains it. I've called in the Twin Synch expert so he can answer your questions with more than my "hearsay" understanding.

Regards,
langerl

2engsout 08-25-2008 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, what a fantastic job you have done!! I was the Zenoah engine beta tester for the "Twin Sync" during the design developement back in the Fall of 2006. I helped refine the sync codes for the integrated chip used in the twin sync unit. The unit reads each engines rpms, thru the use of hall sensors reading the magnets mounted in the spinner backplates or mounted on a plastic disc connected to the rear crankshaft exstention on the Zenoah engines. The twin sync unit moves each throttle servo independently to that target rpm. It takes less than 1 second to reach a "perfect sync" after a power setting change. The factory default is set at "130" rpm, which designates that when the engines are within 130 rpms of each other, the twin sync unit says, OK, thats close enough, and stops serching for the target rpm. This can be changed to "250" rpms, as I have done on my DC-3 for that sweet sound. My friend langerl is correct in his description of operation, as he has 2 units himself. When an engine fails, the good engine automticly throttles back to any preset rpm of your choice. This only takes 1 second. I use approx 3000 rpms for my preset idle. When you see the plane slow down, you will know you have an engine issue....you will ALSO know that you are now looking for a place to land, and you simply pull your throttle back to idle then throttle backup and you now have complete control of the good engine. There is no altitude loss from a spin recovery procedure !! I have twin cly. Moki 3.6's mounted on my Ziroli P-38 which was radar clocked at 130mph. I will post that youtube link shortly for your enjoyment. I have the twin sync mounted on 6 twins including a Ziroli DC-3 and the Beech 18. The twin sync can be purchased at www.rcshowcase.com for about $99.95 usd plus shipping You can download the link to the user manual from there. I have also composed many additional supplements to help install and troubleshoot any installation problems you may encounter. I may add that in over 250 engine test runs, there has never been a failure of the twin sync unit, only failures of the person installing it, by not reading the instrutions. I will email you all of those supplements to you at your request. I will never again fly a twin without the twin sync installed. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks for your time. Rick Simmons USA

2engsout 08-25-2008 11:13 PM

Hi Guys, try this link for my Ziroli P-38 with a twin sync mounted. Hope you enjoy! Rick Simmons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpZGc3zT74

CamoCrazy 09-13-2008 04:31 PM

Kramer Baretta? Now there's someone with some taste. Are you part of the KF? That plane you built is absolutely incredible Bro.

Jerry