RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P38 "FULL METAL JACKET" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7169144-p38-%22full-metal-jacket%22.html)

Jetjockgb 09-19-2008 04:32 PM

RE: P38 "FULL METAL JACKET"

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Thanks everyone for posting up and sorry it has taken a while for me to respond, been busy building!!!!!

Well the Big day happened last weekend at RAF Coltishal!!!! Little Buck has flown!!!!!
I spent most of last Saturday afternoon assembling her only to find I had a cable missing!!!!!! so with the help they guys from Colt we got her ready.
We got the engines running well, so some more taxiing around to get her tracking right, after this, the time was getting on and the sun was setting, so it was a quick refuel, and another check on all the wing bolts connections we were ready for the off!!!!

So with Little Buck at the end of the runway I opened up the throttle gradually and she tracked straight down the runway and climbed gently and gracefully into the air.Yes my heart was racing and I was waiting for trim changes but she needed nothing!!!!, she just flew straight off,so I brought her round for a few circuits and every thing was fine until one of the engines started to richen up and buy this time the light was at premium so I lowered the gear and we got three greens and brought her round to land.

So all in all she is a very good flyer and all the worries put to rest,I just can't wait to get her back out so we can get some more pics in the air, and in daylight!!!!

Here are some pics that Dibble had taken and he kindly sent over to me , you can see the light was starting to go!!!!!

Cheers Graham
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Hello82 09-19-2008 06:45 PM

Hey Graham

Many congrats on a successful maiden!!!! She looks really great once again!..What's next?

Unless I missed it in the thread..do you ever use a gyro for pavement takeoffs for help keeping it straight...if so, any tips on it?

best,
Matt

smudgersmiff 09-20-2008 05:52 AM

Well done Graham.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh so to speak.

Jeff

pitsspecial 09-28-2008 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on Grahams behalf as he is unfortunately still without a computer..........He is hoping to be back on line by the end of next week![sm=thumbup.gif]

We took a ride up to RAF Raydon in Suffolk today, and with the help of the superb weather, the Awesome strip to run off, expert help from the locals one being 'The Bobski' (tweeking the engine, Thanks Bob) we managed to get an extra almost 1000 rpm out of each engine, which livend things up somewhat.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Now with things speeded up a bit the Gorgeous 'Little Buckeroo' P38 flew with a lot more Authority (and a 100% perfect landing on the strip [sm=wink_smile.gif])

As spectators of this superb flight you could see without a doubt that Graham was now happy with the way she looks, sounds and handles in the sky, but i think what really done it for us was Grahams cry of 'Yeeer Haaa' as he took a low pass at high speed past the crowd of open mouthed spectators!

So 'Well Done' Graham you have excelled as ever!

Di n Dave....

Jetjockgb 10-04-2008 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Di & Dave,
As you can see I have got the PC back up and running!!!!!at last, the email is still down;)so if any one is wanting to get in touch, my Mobile is 07971674236.

Yes thanks for the kind words, we had a good day at Raydon we just need to try and join there club!!!!! or if anyone else nows where we could fly please let us know.

As Di & Dave have just said we got the engines singing, sweet music to the ears!!!!.
The p38 was flying on rails,I just loved the low sircut beat up's YEAAA HAAAA.

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

skull1971 10-04-2008 11:44 AM

Again,, Great job Graham!!!

Slow Low 10-04-2008 11:48 AM

What else can I say!? I've been green with envy ever since the first all nighter rivet session and I'm still in awe. I sure would like to hear those engines whine in another youtube video though should ya ever get the chance. It sure looks sweet with those cowls on M8.

alanjets 10-17-2008 12:33 AM

hi graham is there any chance u could send the decals for my p51 mustang

WhoDaMan 10-21-2008 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi Dave :
here are some pictures from this years Reno air races,,, enjoy

Dave

Graham,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is one of the nicest builds,,, Awesome build my friend

pitsspecial 11-05-2008 07:03 PM

Hi Dave, Graham,

Nice photos, i stumbled upon this yesterday, just happens to be the same Tigercat you have taken photos of!!......ENJOY..........

http://www.vimeo.com/1793801

Di n Dave....

at-6 texan 11-06-2008 05:55 AM

GREAT VIDEO!![sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]but above the all the race to Reno 2007...relay great video!!!!

Jetjockgb 11-06-2008 06:06 PM

Hi Dave,

Can't wait for you to get your tiger in the air, would look cool with the cat and my 38 and not forgeting Arrons Mitch in the air.

Has Di still got the vid from Raydon?? p38 or ME109 Dag a Dag aaaa.

How is the Jetlag????

Cheers Graham

pitsspecial 11-06-2008 06:14 PM

Helllo there,
Yep i still have raydon footage Graham.....what do you want me to do with it? lol lol
Jet lag is hanging on, we are both sooooo tired.
Are you ready for the slide show? lol
Dave n Di

Jetjockgb 11-07-2008 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave and Di,

Good to see you both tonight down at the Warbird Factory, you both look very well after your trip to Florida,back to the good old Britsh winter now!!!!.

I was just sorting out some pics and found these few, which were from this years Flying Legends at Duxford, these photos are from the roof of my van;);)

Cheers Graham

mick15 11-08-2008 06:03 AM

Nice holiday then Dave where's the evidence?

Where are the pics of my Sea Fury Graham?

m

Jetjockgb 11-08-2008 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mick,

Are you sure you want to see Daves white legs!!!!

How is your Seafury coming on, she@ going to be a beautie.

Here you go, I like the C blue one.

Cheers Graham

mick15 11-08-2008 09:58 AM

Thanks for the pics Graham. I am doing the "110" scheme from your middle picture, unfortunateley they have resprayed the full size in a different scheme as in your third pic where the top is all grey and no invasion stripes.

Don't worry about Dave's white legs, I'll wear my "Oaklies".

m

pitsspecial 11-08-2008 06:39 PM

OI!!!! You pair off buggers!!! lol lol :D:D

Theres nother wrong with my legs!! mind you they had a bit of a shock, last time they was out in the sun was nearly 10 years ago! and oooooooohhhhhhh how sunny it was!!!!

What kind of 'evidence' do you want Mick? pool shots at the villa? photos at Monster Planes U.SA.? photos of our days out? got blinkin loads! so what do ya fancy???:)

Btw your Seafury is coming on nicely, looks stunning mate!! keep up the good work!

All the best,
Di n Dave...

rxAxilleas 11-26-2008 04:33 AM

Hi Grahham,
can you please give us the collor number of this lesonal "platinum"?
i searched the automotive pait shops and only the platinum says nothing to them.they have platinums for bmw,porche,.......
thanks

Jetjockgb 11-27-2008 03:57 AM

Hi rxAxilleas,

Sorry for the slow reply,been hard at it,no pc in the workshop.

Regarding the paint, It's Lesonal Platnum,I bought it through a supplier in Germany, but this source has dried up, and I have been trying over here in the UK to get it, so after months of trying to get it we have no found the Problem,Lesonal is part of AKZO NOBEL, SIKKENS, so the paint is known to them as ARGENTUM, I have ordered some samples to test out,they should be here any time now.

I hope this helps, if no joy let me know.

Cheers Graham Buchanan

rxAxilleas 11-27-2008 04:24 AM

Graham thanks for the reply,
the paint that you already use had any collor code on it?
i think someone mention that is a porche platinum... i am not sure.
i am searching the lesonal here in greece part of sikkens group and they need for me to be more specifik in the color code. only the platinum says nothing to them.
if you have any further info i will apreciate it a lot.
thanks

Jetjockgb 11-27-2008 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi rxAxilleas,

This is the problem we had as there is no batch numbers on the tin.
But as I said we have managed to track it down, and it is called Argentum,I will check for a ref number for this.

The P51 Sherman was painted with the ALSA Mira Chrome.

Cheers Graham

rxAxilleas 11-28-2008 04:09 AM

graham,
thanks,

the diferent colors (black, blue) beneathe the paint is paint over the primer or the primer itself? what kind of color is it? it is not posible to loose the rivet detail with these color coats?
thanks!

The Swede 12-27-2008 04:19 PM

Hi Graham.

After having seen the effects of this painting technique I have started to re-think about using Flite Metal on my TF Mustang. It looks absolutely fabulous!!! Great job!! Saw you'd found the Lesonal Platnum through Akzo-Nobel. Could you please give me an e-mail address or contact number to where you ordered from? I just have to try this stuff...

Kind regards

Benny

Greg Wright 12-29-2008 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Graham your p-38 looks beutiful !!!!!!!! Just wondering do you or anyone over on that side of the pond know where i could find some pictures of the p-38 called HAPPY JACK'S GO BUGGY formerly painted up as CALIFONIA CUTIE before it was lost in a crash killing the pilot. I'm starting to finish my Yellow Aircraft in flite-metal and that is the color scheme i'd like to do.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Thank's for the help!!!

Greg Wright