RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   *World Models 70" P-47D THUNDERBOLT* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7543706-%2Aworld-models-70%22-p-47d-thunderbolt%2A.html)

SpinnerRow 01-01-2012 01:24 PM

RE: *World Models 70

Is a DLE 20 enough for this plane?

OldFart1 01-01-2012 03:04 PM

IMHO, no. I have 26cc on mine, wish I'd waited for the DLE 30

RaiBalboa 01-01-2012 05:00 PM

Yeah, I agree with Old.
DLE30 works perfect with this Jug.

Is TruTurn spinner's size 1'' or 1.5'' ?
and Top Flight dummy radial engine's size 1/7 or 1/5?
Hoonny,
The radial is the 1/7 one.
The Prop Hub from Truturn depends on which adapter you would choose. Send a mail for Truturn with your engine and the diameter of the center of the prop. So they will think in best adapter for you and then the hub.<br type="_moz" /><br type="_moz" />

Hoonnylee 01-04-2012 05:02 PM

Thanks. RaiBalboa .

I will try it.

Hoonny.

RaiBalboa 01-04-2012 05:10 PM

No problem, Hoonny.
Anything, PM me.
Post your jug here.

coronabob 03-21-2012 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: RaiBalboa

No problem, Hoonny.
Anything, PM me.
Post your jug here.
RaiBalboa,

It looks like you did not glue your wings together. How did you set up the two piece wings? Nice job with using one D connector to connect all servos in each wing.

RaiBalboa 03-22-2012 04:37 PM

Corona,
Like I told you by PM, no secrets. Just do not use the glue.

coronabob 03-26-2012 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: iceaxe

hey guys I just maddened my p47tonight I have a dle 20 in her and am also running eflight 60/120 etracts in her
how did you guys go with the cg mine was just in front of the recommended cg but still feels slightly tail heavy in flight I'll drop a bit of weight in the nose I think

I have just now noticed that you said your cg was ahead of the recommended. That means it's nose heavy and why you'll need to remove nose weight.

flycolorado 08-25-2012 06:43 AM

(Edit)

flycolorado 08-25-2012 07:06 AM

<div>Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I thought I&rsquo;d share my Jug just in case.

It&rsquo;s got a DLE30 and a Great Planes LiFe (2100mA) running everything. I used an ignition battery eliminator/optical kill for the motor to save weight and it came out at 11lbs 4Oz. CG is at 4 &frac34;&rdquo; and it feels perfect, it fly&rsquo;s light and with authority. I found that the elevator needed to be set up looking like it was a flat bottom airfoil, not a symmetrical as you would expect. We discovered this to be true with 2 other Jug&rsquo;s at the field. I set it up symmetrical and ran out of down trim trying to get it to fly level on the maiden. Just put a ruler on the bottom of the horizontal stab and bring the tip of the elevator down close to the ruler. It&rsquo;s no speed demon so don&rsquo;t think the DLE is over powered but the climb outs are awe inspiring! I can do a short takeoff (20 ft), pull up the gear and point it straight up until it&rsquo;s a dot! Then a pattern roll inverted and a half loop to bring it down the runway for a strafing run. It is my first Warbird and I fly mostly your average sport planes. It is an awesome Warbird trainer! It&rsquo;s still on the factory gear because it handles so well. I can drive it the entire length of our 800&rsquo; runway on the mains and lift off when I please. Landings for me are done with a small amount of flap (what you would use for takeoff). It really does not need the flaps as it slows wonderfully.Fly with a little power to the threshold, cut to idle when a few feet of the ground and lightly push the mains on the runway. I hold the tail up till I stall the elevator and it sets down ever so gently. At this point she is moving at a brisk walk and it simply rolls to a stop. Very forgiving plane, I love it!

Here is flight number 4 from start to finish!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/cf797f8f.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/77dc163b.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/ad119858.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/375664f0.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/8996bfb4.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/5263877e.jpg</div>

rc34074 08-25-2012 07:44 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: flycolorado

<div>Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I thought I’d share my Jug just in case.

It’s got a DLE30 and a Great Planes LiFe (2100mA) running everything. I used an ignition battery eliminator/optical kill for the motor to save weight and it came out at 11lbs 4Oz. CG is at 4 ¾” and it feels perfect, it fly’s light and with authority. I found that the elevator needed to be set up looking like it was a flat bottom airfoil, not a symmetrical as you would expect. We discovered this to be true with 2 other Jug’s at the field. I set it up symmetrical and ran out of down trim trying to get it to fly level on the maiden. Just put a ruler on the bottom of the horizontal stab and bring the tip of the elevator down close to the ruler. It’s no speed demon so don’t think the DLE is over powered but the climb outs are awe inspiring!

flycolorado-

Thanks for your post. what altitude are you flying? What prop do you have on the dle30? Seems like you are propped for thrust since you have unlimited vertical.

Regarding your comment about the elevator trim - are the other two jugs also the twm (World Models) p47? I have their 60 size mustang and their GS mustang and neither of those need much down elevator trim from neutral at the cg that world models recommends. They both fly VERY well.

Ed

flycolorado 08-25-2012 08:58 AM

<div>I'm in Colorado at around 5000' using an 18x8, the DLE has only 3/4 gallon of break in through it so I assume I'll be seeing more power/speed as the break in progresses. It's just about right for now, as I fly and get used to it I'm sure I'll be able to handle more speed but for now it's just my style (I have an 18x10 drilled and ready for that day). As for the elevator, one was a .60 sized Top Flight and the other was the giant scale Top Flight Kit both planes had the identical elevator position at neutral. Since it is not pitch sensitive and it does not pitch up or down when the throttle is abruptly reduced from full I can only assume it's pretty close. I've also done the 45 degree up line inverted and it drops the nose in a large arc, level inverted flight uses less than 1/4 stick of down to maintain.

I'll also add that I ditched theDLEmuffler and used one from an SPE 26CC motor. It's got anangled front that allows me to keep it inside thecowl (see photos earlier in this post of the other 30cc jug). It may reduce the RPM's slightly but only time and a tach will tell. I was strapped for cash so I opted not to use the Pitts muffler thinking Iwould have plenty of power. I had to elongate the holes in the muffler to make it fit but the port seems to line up nicely.

</div>

rc34074 08-25-2012 05:23 PM

I had the 60 size top flite gold edition jug and their 60 size gold edition mustang (I had an early gold edition kit version of the mustang) and they both needed down trim as you describe.

However I have not seen this on the other twm/world models mustangs planes that I have and am flying now. So I wondered if the other jugs were twm jugs. My twm 60 size mustang is a bit older (I've been flying it for 8 years now) but i kind of doubt they have changed it much from what I have seen in posts here. The GS mustang is maybe 5 years old and the newer versions might have changed a little but not very much either.

Anyway thanks for your feedback - I have the twm p47 arf just like you have and was curious. Mine is still in the box though - I got delayed in assembling it some due to adapting to flying here in Texas after I moved here from Ohio a couple years ago.

Ed

coronabob 08-28-2012 08:34 PM

I flew my Jug for the 2nd time today. Found out that my DLE30 was overheating and stalling. I have but one cutout in the cowl for the factory muffler exhaust. Does anyone have a suggestion for baffling? I do not want to cut holes in my cowl.

SpinnerRow 08-29-2012 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: coronabob

I flew my Jug for the 2nd time today. Found out that my DLE30 was overheating and stalling. I have but one cutout in the cowl for the factory muffler exhaust. Does anyone have a suggestion for baffling? I do not want to cut holes in my cowl.
You have to cut a hole in the bottom to allow all the air coming in the front to exit some where. Might as well completely seal the whole front of the plane if you don't.

rc34074 08-29-2012 05:07 AM

The baffling that others have done seems to be most effective when you direct the air at the cylinder and out the back of the cowl. The rule for air flow that most say is you need twice as much area for the air to get out of the cowl as you allow for air to enter the cowl.

Ed

coronabob 08-29-2012 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: flycolorado

<div>Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I thought I’d share my Jug just in case.

It’s got a DLE30 and a Great Planes LiFe (2100mA) running everything. I used an ignition battery eliminator/optical kill for the motor to save weight and it came out at 11lbs 4Oz. CG is at 4 ¾” and it feels perfect, it fly’s light and with authority. I found that the elevator needed to be set up looking like it was a flat bottom airfoil, not a symmetrical as you would expect. We discovered this to be true with 2 other Jug’s at the field. I set it up symmetrical and ran out of down trim trying to get it to fly level on the maiden. Just put a ruler on the bottom of the horizontal stab and bring the tip of the elevator down close to the ruler. It’s no speed demon so don’t think the DLE is over powered but the climb outs are awe inspiring! I can do a short takeoff (20 ft), pull up the gear and point it straight up until it’s a dot! Then a pattern roll inverted and a half loop to bring it down the runway for a strafing run. It is my first Warbird and I fly mostly your average sport planes. It is an awesome Warbird trainer! It’s still on the factory gear because it handles so well. I can drive it the entire length of our 800’ runway on the mains and lift off when I please. Landings for me are done with a small amount of flap (what you would use for takeoff). It really does not need the flaps as it slows wonderfully. Fly with a little power to the threshold, cut to idle when a few feet of the ground and lightly push the mains on the runway. I hold the tail up till I stall the elevator and it sets down ever so gently. At this point she is moving at a brisk walk and it simply rolls to a stop. Very forgiving plane, I love it!

Here is flight number 4 from start to finish!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]</div>
Congratulations! What a beauty. I asked about engine overheating, which you don't seem to have a problem with. Looking at your pictures (awesome BTW) I did not see any cowl cutout. I realize that you are at altitude and cooler air. Am I not seeing some well hidden holes in your cowl? missing something?

Many thanks to those who posted suggestions.

flycolorado 08-29-2012 07:49 PM

I've been flying in 95 degree heat soI assume I'm alright! The plane is used and had a Saito 180 in it initialy, a large portion of the bottom is cut out for cooling for the 180 (not sure if the valve covers stuck out). It's a big hole and I was glad that I didn't have to do it. It might be that you'll need to add something on thebottom to increase the air through it. If you saw how big the hole in the bottom of my cowl was you'd understand why I don't have overheating issues! From the muffler back is probly about 4" and it's about 3" wide (the cut out). Had I built the plane origionally I would not have had such a big hole in it. Seems to work though.

Thanks by the way! Fun plane....

rc34074 09-25-2012 06:13 PM

well I am finally starting assembly of mine. Going to use my G26, with air retracts and oleo struts. My wing fits together very well except the pocket for the dowel near the trailing edge is not deep enough so I only need to drill it a little deeper. I will probably add a seat back to the cockpit.

did anyone add an instrument panel to the cockpit? Seems like there isn't much room for one but has someone come up with a way to do this?

Thanks

Ed

coronabob 09-26-2012 09:50 AM

After some initial issues with my DLE 30 due mainly to a defective engine kill and not overheating, I have been having a ton of fun with my WM P-47. It flies like a dang good sports plane with one exception - the low speed. It is very draggy so don't expect acceleration or speed.

Mine will go vertical for as long as I keep it straight while rolling slowly. Knife edge pulls to the canopy but very manageable. I can do knife edge around the field. It snaps fast but does not stop fast. It will do tail slide, hammerhead, fast axial rolls and spin. I have not tried a flat spin since I am afraid it would not recover.

With wheels retracted it will climb and so will flaps. I mixed in the right amount of down elevator after a couple of tries. It lands SLOW with flaps. All in all one heck of a plane. The factory retracts are very strong. I fly off hard surface but I imagine short grass would be ok. I ran it off our short cross wind runway yesterday and it nosed over in the grass. The retracts had no problem with that.

Aldo Rebsamen 01-20-2013 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another one. Not yet flown.

Hacker A60M16
Battery 12S3700
Prop 18X11

Regards Aldo

Stone17 09-27-2014 07:19 AM

My P-47.
I will be dropping in a DLE-35RA. More to come.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psad3f164c.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psd8f5f0de.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps460d0215.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psef1d72f4.jpg

Staticxd00d 11-01-2014 07:58 AM

Subscribing... really looking hard at getting one of these. :)

flycatch 11-02-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Staticxd00d (Post 11909689)
Subscribing... really looking hard at getting one of these. :)

Don't get one because the quality is not there for the price.

flycolorado 11-02-2014 10:33 AM

The covering is my only beef. It's also no very scale but it's not a big deal to me (it's the canopy). It is my favorite plane to fly with the DLE 30CC on an 18x8. The air frame is tough as nails and I have had zero issues with it, including the retracts. Close to unlimited vertical, it will knife edge forever and it lands like an average sport plane. If I lose mine I will buy another, I enjoy it that much...