RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   black horse models (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7588396-black-horse-models.html)

PoormansACE 06-06-2008 03:19 PM

black horse models

just wondreing if anyone has bought one of these Black Horse Models. I'm thinking about getting their spitfire if it has retracts. it looks like their models are similar to pheniox models. any comments?

pault 06-07-2008 06:56 AM

RE: black horse models

i got the t-28.....i really like it ...everybody at the flying field have positive things to say about it......flies great....its covered in oracover....no complaints or regrets here...i highly recomend them......the spitfire looks to be a good one...pault

tailskid 06-07-2008 04:50 PM

Who distributes Black Horse models?

NoFlaps 06-07-2008 06:07 PM

Blackhorse is carried by Hobby People on the West coast.
I have their P-36, and with the exception of the retracts, i'm very impressed.
The retracts were located in the completely wrong location...I believe the Spitfire opens the gear the wrong way too.
Otherwise the quality is fantastiv and my plane flies very scale-like.
I did a thread on the build...Just look up BHM P-36 Hawk.
If the T-28 or the Spitty are anythinmg like the Hawk, they will be great planes.
It's too bad the T-28 doesn't have retracts.
I saw there is a special going on right now on their chipmonk and it's only $115.bucks...Whata deal!

phippsa3 09-11-2008 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the Blackhorse artf's.
They are well put together with good materials.

I have the Chipmunk and the P-47.
I have given the P-47 a coat of paint.

NoFlaps 09-11-2008 04:35 PM

Great Job on that P-47...That looks excellent!!! ;) please post more pics when you can. :D

majestic12 09-12-2008 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

ORIGINAL: PoormansACE

just wondreing if anyone has bought one of these Black Horse Models. I'm thinking about getting their spitfire if it has retracts. it looks like their models are similar to pheniox models. any comments?
Greetings from Malaysia!!

We in Malaysia have limited resources especially when it comes to rc planes. We have VQ models, World Models, Percission Aeorobatics, Black Horse, Great planes, Phoenix and a few more.

I have just bought a P51D Mustang Black Horse model. It looks great. Here is my friend flying his plane. As compared to other models out there. It is worth the price. Also comes with retracts. My advise is change the retracts if you could. Again, here we have to place orders from overseas. The retracts are a bit flimsy. Also invest on a good servo for the retract.

The older models I believe have a 1 piece wing. The new one has a split wing. I was told that the model is of low quality. But I have to try it to know. I don't care that much. My other dream is to get a Hangar 9 P51 150 size (green color). It costs a bomb to bring it in. Here is what you could expect. USD 1 = RM 3.30. It would cost me RM 2,000 just for the basic in box kit. I wis i had it as good as you guys. Anyways, here's the Pic of the black horse
P51.

Here's my friend flying his BH P51 Mustang 60 size..enjoy...its build is superb...lines, beautiful as compared to the other models...even compared to the Phoenix models...I just sold my Phoenix corsair to get the BH Mustang 60 size
Another advise try not to go lower than a size 60...use a 4 stroke 91 or bigger...

poorwboy 09-26-2008 08:39 PM

Hey majestic I am getting ready to throw up my bh .60 p51 tomorrow.

tailskid 09-27-2008 12:23 PM

GREAT pics!!!! Congrats on a nice looking model and on excellent flying skills!

bassmanh 09-27-2008 12:33 PM

poor,

heres a link to a good site that has blackhorse models and there lower priced than hobbypeople.= http://americanpioneerhobbies.com/

i have there speed air .40 and love the plane flies great and is built well.

bassman

CorsairJock 09-28-2008 07:06 AM

The list of warbird ARFs from BH keeps getting longer. Now, they have a 62" span B-25:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159552.asp

BUT, like the Spitfire (and getting back to the original question): no mention of retracts in the VERY brief description.
From that, I can only assume that niether (the Spitfire OR the B-25) comes with retracts. So the qusetion I have: are they 'retract ready'? In other words: are they built so that optional retracts can be 'dropped in'?

P-47 looks interesting also, but like the other BH products listed at Hobby People: too few details combined with a single, poor quality picture leaves too many un-answered questions:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159536.asp

Open message to anyone associated with "Hobby People": I sure hope that you read and consider the following paragraph:
ALL of the product descriptions at Hobby People are lacking: it's too bad that some-one there can't find the time to add a little more to the product descriptions, as well as more/ better pictures. I have a feeling that sales would improve dramatically, IF Hobby People could improve their communication skills. When a potential customer has nothing to judge a product by, but a lone, small picture and very brief description: me thinks he will likely spend his money elsewhere.

BTW: the P-40 is now listed as "In Stock", but still no picture OR description. Exact opposite of Tower, which has plenty of info and pics WELL before new products arrive.

B-25 Update: I just reviewed the online ad and it states that retracts ARE included. Sounds like quite a deal with a price tag of only $299. Also sounds like it is light (a little over 6 lbs?), considering it is a twin engine, 62" span warbird. If I didn't already have a Hangar 9 B-25, I would be taking a real serious look at this one.

LDM 09-28-2008 07:24 AM

Hobby People are a great example of a great company , great servace but an IT department and website that is indiactive of so much less .
When you click on "More info " most of the time the page simply scrolls down to useless info that you have already read .
According to the info on BH models from oversea distributors , the P40 has retracts , so the info is there , but not on the Hobby People site

ayarbro 09-28-2008 01:04 PM

I have this model with a os .91 fs. I haven't been able to fly it yet, because I'm having a horrible time trying to keep it straight on the runway at high speed. It wants to vear left no matter how hard I correct. Has anyone else had this issue?

-Anders

CorsairJock 09-28-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ayarbro

I have this model with a os .91 fs. I haven't been able to fly it yet, because I'm having a horrible time trying to keep it straight on the runway at high speed. It wants to vear left no matter how hard I correct. Has anyone else had this issue?

-Anders
By "this model", are you refering to the Spitfire 46 ARF? If so, I can understand why it would veer to the left, with an "os .91 fs".
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159516.asp

NoFlaps 09-28-2008 03:28 PM

It's my understanding that all the BHM Spitfires have retracts, the real question is are they in a semi correct location... The big one they carry looks best, but most companies don't get the retracts on this plane right (hopefully, they won't open like a P-51).
Let us know what you do and please post some pics.
[8D]

CorsairJock 09-28-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps
It's my understanding that all the BHM Spitfires have retracts, the real question is are they in a semi correct location... ..............................
Why would they say (in the ad) that it only needs a 4 channel radio then?

NoFlaps 09-28-2008 08:55 PM

Then I had mis-understood on the smallewr one:)~

majestic12 10-02-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ayarbro

-Anders
My advise is to check your rudder elevator....many of the BH ARF'S have a fault in them which is poor in allignment. Check if you centered everything properly (degrees and agles) prior to gluing them....

Might also be you being off on your engine mount a couple of degrees....to the left.

ps.....good luck poor!!!!....i have just put a saito 100 in mine...its gonna be overpowered though....hope i dont snap it!!

Rgds,
Majestic

poorwboy 10-07-2008 06:08 PM

Mine did the same thing the other day. I just maidened it and it pulled hard to the left. I did find that the main wheels are way to tight on the shafts. I took them off and drilled them out to let them move freely.

When you do get the plane up it flies fantastic. And the flaps work awesome. I do think the os 61fx is a little underpowered. I have a 11*7 prop on it, I might try a 12*8 and remove the cone in the muffler. Also I set all the trim on the plane at zero and I had to make no adjustments in the air. She sure does look pretty in the air. Good luck.

darjen38 10-22-2008 05:27 PM

Hi Majestic12 I have Just got myself a BH P-51 Mustang, I was just wandering How you manage to take the wings off for transportation as the retracts are connected to the servo?
Are you able to disconnect without mucking up the retract settings. As I am contemplating installing Air retracts so that the wings can be removed much easily. Nice pictures by the way.

majestic12 10-26-2008 10:11 AM

You're right...darjen....i dismantle all and re-assemble again....everytime...mine is a two piece wing anyway...the older version are 1 piece wings...

darjen38 10-26-2008 05:33 PM

As soon as I start the Build I will post the Pictures. I was going to install a Laser 100 engine up front but it is 15mm to long "Shame".
By the way my one is also the new two piece wing lovely build great detail. As I am planing to install Air retracts I might use the area for the mechanical retract servo to install a mechanical retractable rear wheel.

mike early 10-26-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: darjen38

As I am planing to install Air retracts I might use the area for the mechanical retract servo to install a mechanical retractable rear wheel.

Looking forward to seeing this.

darjen38 11-01-2008 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I have made a start on the Mustang, You must admit that it does look good. The Retracts come from my Cermark/Top gun Spitfire they are Air up & Air down but very strong and light I will be using also J Perkins Oleo`s 115mm long as again nice and light but strong. What I like about this model is that the cockpit is removed to give access to all the necessary servos

darjen38 11-01-2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a look at the rear tail wheel and it looks like the steering mechanism also runs the Rudder. I did make a copy of the cover and then cut it in half but I think it will need a redesign as it is to bulky. the only thing is that I cant change it until the retract tail wheel has arrived so that I know if I may need to make the aperture a little bit bigger.