RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7626632-kmp-corsair.html)

LDM 06-21-2008 06:02 AM

RE: KMP Corsair

Hellcat , good to know , i agree 100% , i have fiddled with retracts until I started useing sierra , what a differance !!!!
If the existing ones are too small , the one set of 1/5 scale robarts are very nice , would take some mods for this plane but they would work .
Since the footprint for the saito 180 is not far off from the 140 I am going with a 180 and a macs muffler extension inside the cowl .
Does anyone know if the wheels usually come with the plane or are they part of the retract purchase with KMP?

AKondor 06-21-2008 07:19 AM

Hi guys:

The new retracts are are almost identical to the rotating gear we are using on the A1 Skyraider. The new generation gear is built to support the actual weights of the current aircraft with the larger power plants in the airplanes. We do realize that the instruction seem to insist on 1.20 size engines but the fact is that to get away from adding dead weight its a wiser choice to add a bigger engine. Our test plane tracked well although somewhat sluggish even with more than one lb of weight in the nose and a OS 1.20 FS up front. So it is in fact very possible to fly with this configuration. My choice is a 26 CC gasser or a 1.50-180 fs up front. "Zoom-Zoom"

But I digress again.... back to the retracts. We are very confident in the new series of air retracts and as usual stand behind everything we make.

By the way, Yes the gear doors as seen in the pictures come with the plane. (somebody was asking in an earlier post)

LDM 06-21-2008 10:20 AM

Thanks Andrew its seems like many warbirds usually had engine stated in the low range , I remember Top Flight birds saying 60 to 90 size , A 60 in a typical gold edition with retracts ect would be a dog . I would rather go with the power withen the higher range and not be afraid to add retract and a full interior ect

kahloq 06-21-2008 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

LDM;

Can you give me Paul's e-mail address at KMP........I need to write to him.....thanx
Just email KMP through their site email. Paul is the one that answers those usually.

speedaholic 06-21-2008 03:28 PM

i have the a-1 arf and can say that the new rotators that came with it are very nice retracts, very worth the 230.00 for the set with struts, they are very beefy and work great, they have a similar rotating mechanism to the sierra i believe as it is all machined in the retract, no gears or rods to rotate, very nice, i would say get them. also for the 230 your getting aluminum wheels, air valve, tank, pretty much the kit. there are pictures under the skyraider thread.

LDM 06-21-2008 03:55 PM

Hey Andrew , its NHL draft and you have to be the only guy in Thunder Bay watching RCU vs the DRaft :D.[X(]

Speed , sounds like some good info and worth the buy did you use the wheels , I was told they were excellant but heavy .

vasek 06-22-2008 01:47 AM

Thanks speed for the info on the retracts!

On the pics they look sturdy, I think I'm gonna give them a try.

Here's the link to the pics (post 111)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67..._5/key_/tm.htm

Cheers, Vasek

Hellcat716 06-22-2008 09:15 AM

Hi Andrew.

Could you give me the diameter of the corsair cowl and do you know if there is a dummy radial engine available for the corsair? Thanks.

alanc 06-22-2008 09:31 AM

cowl, i am informed, is 7", i have no idea about the dummy radial

kahloq 06-22-2008 01:14 PM

darehobby has a bunch of different sizes for dummy radials if one is not in the box. Also, the TF B-25 has rather large cowls and the dummy radials for that might fit as well. You can buy them separately from the plane

AKondor 06-22-2008 06:46 PM

[8D]The wheels are definately very high quality. The rubber is the same used on turbine jets and the hub is machined alumium. They are the same weight as most on the market made the same way. I'll try and get an exact weight for the wheels posted here soon.

Hellcat716 06-22-2008 11:19 PM

Andrew.

Do you know the required distance from the firewall to the back of the prop hub? I am looking for a engine at this time for the corsair. Thanks.

vasek 06-23-2008 04:52 AM

Since there are some people from KMP on this thread

I thought I would mention that it would be nice to have a optional "touch-up color matching paint kit"

You know to cover those little mods or damages when one doesn't want to paint the whole model over;)

I know StyroKit provided such option & it was very useful.

Just thought I'd ask,
Cheers V.

AKondor 06-23-2008 09:54 PM

Usually we do have it. If we don't it takes only a few days for us to have more made.

Whistling Death 06-23-2008 10:49 PM

Hello Andrew, I am curious as to why you guys build your planes just under 80"?
This plane is beautiful, it is a shame that I couldn't take it to a giant scale warbird flyin.

LDM 06-26-2008 04:07 AM

Does the Cowl have the moulded details , and the rudder(rib details ) , cant tell from the pics .

LDM 06-28-2008 07:16 AM

SPECS: Retract Mechanism:
Unit: Length: 4-3/4" Width: 2-11/16" Height: 2-1/4"
Unit Mounting Flange: Width: 2-5/8" Length: 4"
Unit Mounting Holes: Side to Side: 2-5/16" Front to Rear: 3-3/16"
Unit with Strut: Length: 8-1/2"
Weight per Pair: 28.4oz.
Struts: Length: 7-1/8" x Diameter: 7/16"or 1/2"
Made for 4-1/2" Wheels
Weight bearing Capacity: 20-40 pounds
Andrew , this is the specs for Robart scale 1/5 how far off are the , especially in depth ?I can fix width

AKondor 06-28-2008 05:10 PM

In regards to our airplanes sizes:

We chose to make the airplanes in the low 70" inch range for several reasons. The largest market segment for our planes is in fact the 1.50 fs or 26cc gas engine range. If we make larger airplanes the cost associated with the larger engines and the more expensive retracts that would be requried would in the end be out of the budget of the bulk of RC pilots. So in the end our decision is market driven.

However, because of the demand from our customers in the past few years we have decided to make a 50CC range of aircraft (wingspan between 85-95 inches). This line will take some time to develop and we will very carefully chose the first 3 releases. Please be patient but it is coming. :D

kahloq 06-28-2008 05:25 PM

The first of the first 3 releases for the larger size needs to be ME-109...preferably an F or G.

Thunderbolt47 06-29-2008 02:34 AM

OR a FW-190 (earlier models) sorry I'm not up on the model codes for Axis birds.

kahloq 06-29-2008 10:14 AM

FW-190's already available from Airworld

MANFRED 06-29-2008 12:37 PM

PLEASE don't do another Mustang, Zero or Corsair. How about a Dauntless or a B-26??

Thunderbolt47 06-29-2008 01:27 PM

have you priced the AirWord?

vik 06-29-2008 02:21 PM

I would say go and open a new KMP big bird wish tread and keep this one off this so later on if anyone wants to reed it he donĀ“t need to go trough houndreds of replies not to the topic
BTW guys from KMP/YT needs to sell the planes. If it will be some minor type with not to big interest they will loose money. That is why there are so many mustangs for example
btw the late 109 (G-14 or K) or Mk.IX spit would be nice ;)

MANFRED 06-29-2008 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ki-44 Tojo