RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7626632-kmp-corsair.html)

uncljoe 01-17-2010 03:10 PM

RE: KMP Corsair

ORIGINAL: flytaildragger

Those were some great shots for your Corsair Uncljoe, Your photographer did you well. Just in case you didn't know about it, there exists a scale cockpit kit for this airplane. You can find it at www.magnumrc.com. Was that landing deadstick?
The plane is Lynn's , I did the photography . The U bird I'm working on is a little bigger(Comp ARF )
Semper Fi

lynn1130 01-22-2010 03:20 PM

Gen V gear-Interestingly I found a whole thread of back-and-forth between consumers and our KMP rep concerning the issues with these gear. My-bad, I should have done much more research before buying these things.
Every problem I have was listed there and this statement articulates my problems.

"The point is

1.) You shouldn't have to fix leaky cylinders.
2.) Metals used in retracts shouldn't be weak, especially where you attach them to the wing.
3.) You shouldn't have to shim anything. "

Yes, they do offer to fix the problems but with most consumer products, if they are defective in design you can get your money back. Not in this case. And yes, I will keep making noise so that those that follow do not fall into the trap that many of us did when trusting that some vendors would do the right thing.

masteromodels 01-22-2010 05:04 PM

I have decided to fly my Corsair with the gear in the down position and only retract them if I have to ditch because of engine failure or something. I just decided not to sink any more money into this plane. There is so much slop in the gear I 'am afraid they won't lock in the down position, they seem to go up ok but all that play has the block rubbing against the gear legs. There is no way anyone can tell me that the reps who sold these planes with the gen-v landing gear did not know there was problems with them.I relly feel they should make good on these retracts and either fix them free or replace them with something that works. I do not think I want to even think abouth it any more , I 'am going to fly and forget about KMP or ESM.

thanks for listening I won't rant anymore

thanks bob

skillet92 01-30-2010 07:56 PM

Well I just reserved this plane. And in a week or so will be ordering the Sierra gear to go in it. I have heard nothing but great things about Sierra. For you guys that have this plane with the Sierra gear, What do you think of the gear?? I plan on using a DLE 30 or similar....anybody have flights with this setup??

lynn1130 01-30-2010 08:33 PM

I cannot tell you about the DLE 30 but I can tell you that I switched out the KMP gear for Sierra because of all of the problems with the KMP. It takes some bashing to get the Sierra gear into the gear bay and if you use the KMP wheels, which I did, you have to open the well some to get them to properly retract but they are nice. Much more secure with less slop than the KMP. In order to get the air-brakes/doors to work properly you will have to adjust the spring and block down on the brakes to keep the spring from binding around the base of the oleo. I do not have any flights on these gear yet but if you check back a few posts (post 993) you can see photos of my earlier flights pre Sierra.

mike early 01-30-2010 09:14 PM

what was your total cost on your Sierra gear?

skillet92 01-30-2010 09:28 PM

I called Darrell at Sierra and he said 300 with struts and another 84 for the air kit. It came with a variable control valve.

skillet92 01-30-2010 10:00 PM

And I guess after having the H-9 corsair and having nothing but problems they are worth it. Look at it this way 300+ for the plane, 300+ for an engine, and another 300 or so for the radio, batteries, switch's, and all the other LITTLE things that add up. The cheapest gear is 139, so for about 200 more you can have the piece of mind and know that they are right. Believe me, I had repair after repair on my H-9 after every flight due to gear that would fold up and cause a nose over and on this one I just want to fly and know that when I land it is going to be right!! I am sure that there are guys that had great success with the H-9 gear and the CJ's that I used but both were crap to me.

mike early 01-30-2010 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: skillet92

I called Darrell at Sierra and he said 300 with struts and another 84 for the air kit. It came with a variable control valve.
Not bad, for what folks say are the best retracts available!

Can you take some good close-up photos of the mechanisms?

LDM 01-31-2010 08:07 AM

I am still testing my kmp gear , I bought it with the plane from Andrew so I have no choice .
Does anyone know the length of the gear struts on the sierra gear ?
Wondering if Sierra is useing the same rotators as in the 60 size offerings .
I know with my 73" CMP , the gear is the same ones sold for the smaller planes , I wont buy them if that is the case with the Corsair .
Any info is appreciated .
Anybody look at the giant scale robart scale rotators listed for $309 by Tower ?

skillet92 01-31-2010 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: mike early

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Not bad, for what folks say are the best retracts available!

Can you take some good close-up photos of the mechanisms?
Mike I will be glad to when I get mine. I should have them in about two weeks. I like you really want to know what makes them rotate!!

BigRetracts-RCU 01-31-2010 08:49 AM

Hello Corsair Owners,

The Sierra Giant Retracts for the KMP/ESM Corsair are built
just for the plane. We did not feal that the 60 size would hold up
for very long, so we enlarged the design as big as we could and still
make them fit the wing.

They are also going to be available for the new ESM Hellcat, as soon as we get
a wing and make sure they fit.

We have about 40 sets sold so far.

They hold up very well with the weight of the plane.

We just made another run of them, so get them while they are available.

You can get them from Sierra Directly or Tomas at VQWarbirds.com

skillet92 01-31-2010 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: LDM

I am still testing my kmp gear , I bought it with the plane from Andrew so I have no choice .
Does anyone know the length of the gear struts on the sierra gear ?
Wondering if Sierra is useing the same rotators as in the 60 size offerings .
I know with my 73'' CMP , the gear is the same ones sold for the smaller planes , I wont buy them if that is the case with the Corsair .
Any info is appreciated .
Anybody look at the giant scale robart scale rotators listed for $309 by Tower ?
LDM from what Darrell at Sierra told me the ones for the KMP/ESM Corsair are not on his main page. Those 60 sized rotators will not support the wieght of the 15lb KMP/ESM. The one for this plane are larger.

lynn1130 01-31-2010 10:19 AM

Go to VQ's home page and then to the Sierra Gear for the Corsair. There is a photo of the gear. The overall length of the retract is perhaps 1/4 inch longer than the KMP gear. They go in with a little work. They are strong gear and much better made than the KMP. They are specifically (as mentioned earlier) for this model and my cost was $308.90 from VQ and that was including the shipping. Tomas gets them to you in about 3 days. I do not know what H9 gear you are talking about but I hope you are not thinking that the 60 size gear are going in this plane. This is a 18 lb, or more aircraft. By the time I got this plane balanced, with about 3 lbs of weight in the front it is just under 20 lbs. You need some strong gear and the Sierra appear to be that.

And, If you have not put the gear in and flown the plane (KMP gear that is) call Andrew and send them back for a refund. You will not be happy with them.

3 Blade 02-01-2010 03:36 AM

Jonnyjet,
How did your retractable tailwheel turn out? Did you fit doors, if so , how did you pull the doors closed.
I'm installing my homemade retractable tailwheel now and am having trouble getting the doors to close without hitting the wheel

or anyone else that has any suggestions

Thanks
Phil.

johnnyjet 02-01-2010 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 3 Blade

Jonnyjet,
How did your retractable tailwheel turn out? Did you fit doors, if so , how did you pull the doors closed.
I'm installing my homemade retractable tailwheel now and am having trouble getting the doors to close without hitting the wheel

or anyone else that has any suggestions

Thanks
Phil.
Phil.
I got the tail wheel figured out and then moved my attention to the engine and dummy radial installation.
I will go back to the tail wheel doors latter, sorry.[:o]
There are several good working setups on RCU and other boards.
Johnny

LDM 02-01-2010 07:54 PM

HI Lynn , I may try to return them , no screw marks ect , never in my plane only bench tested with robart valves , did not even open the bags for the KMP air valves .

THe gear I was asking about is not Hanger 9 , but the sierra rotators made for the CMP 73" Span P40 .
I am glad that Sierra is making specific gear for the KMP corsair , my issues with the Sierra gear for the CMP 73P40 was not in there ability to hold a 12 to 14 lb P40 plane , but in the length of the strut in reffernace to powering a Saito 180 4 stroke . The prop clearance is minimal with the gear sold for the CMP 73" P40 . end of story .

So one , its looks like I need to try to get my KMP gear back to Andrew and....( 2 )get some new gear from uncle Tomas and sierra :Dsecond set in two months lol , my sierra gear for my CMP BF 109 was from Tomas :D

lynn1130 02-01-2010 10:33 PM

Ok, understand. I was a little concerned that this bird would not do well with H9 gear in it, :)

spitfire66 02-02-2010 09:54 PM

Hello,

I am thinking about buying this ESM Corsair as my next airplane and wonder if anybody has installed the Lado retracts? Website: http://www.lado-tech.net/proddetail.php?prod=60-2T

I thought this would be better than dealing with the problems of the Gen 5 retracts, cheaper than a robart system, and would look good with aluminum wheels and robostruts. For power I was thinking about a DL 30. Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Thanks!

LDM 02-02-2010 10:23 PM

Spitfire , yes Lado good choice , here is what you do , call Santa in the North , order the Lados , then ask him if the Easter bunny can deliver them to you via Mary Poppins flying her unbrella .
Then perhaps if your really luckey the Tooth Fairy will leave you just a little extra cash under your pillow so you can buy another set of retracts when you dont get your lado retract delivered , or maybe one of the Super Heros will get your money back lol :D.
Now , I would hope your jesting and I hope you simply find my post in good humor but there is three major post on rcu that go on loner then Tiger Woods new girlfriends list on how Lado is no gone until someone buys them and many many still wait for delivery .
Also the current lado would not handle the weight of the Corsair

lynn1130 02-02-2010 10:26 PM

I don't think they have anything for this size plane, unless they came up with something recent. I sent them an e-mail a while back and never got a response. I seem to recall that someone else ordered but had not gotten the gear after some long wait. Perhaps some others have more recent info.

I only know of two sets of gear for this particular plane KMP and Sierra. I had KMP and dumped them for Sierra. Better, stronger gear.

lynn1130 02-02-2010 10:28 PM

LDM must have been posting at the same time as me. He answered that question!!

Flight 21 02-02-2010 10:36 PM

spitfire if you read the lado homepage you will see that they are trying to sell the company. If someone does take them over and start reliable production, I would consider the electronic actuators (if they become available). I am pretty sure that they originally made actuators for larger retract units. Of course you would still have to buy the retract units from Sierra or Robart, etc.

spitfire66 02-02-2010 11:31 PM

Thank you for the posts. Is the problem with the gen 5 only with the rotating retracts like the Corsair, or have the retracts for the mustang, bearcat, and spitfire also been plagued with problems?

(I will never consider business with a company in the process of selling. To many gaps in paper work to lose your money) Thanks for the info I did not catch that they were for sale.

By the way would anybody sell their Gen 5 retracts for cheap? I know most have had problems, but I do like to tinker with things. I would like to see how bad they are and if there is any hope.

Johnny_Zero 02-03-2010 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: LDM

Spitfire , yes Lado good choice , here is what you do , call Santa in the North , order the Lados , then ask him if the Easter bunny can deliver them to you via Mary Poppins flying her unbrella .
Then perhaps if your really luckey the Tooth Fairy will leave you just a little extra cash under your pillow so you can buy another set of retracts when you dont get your lado retract delivered , or maybe one of the Super Heros will get your money back lol :D.
Now , I would hope your jesting and I hope you simply find my post in good humor but there is three major post on rcu that go on loner then Tiger Woods new girlfriends list on how Lado is no gone until someone buys them and many many still wait for delivery .
Also the current lado would not handle the weight of the Corsair

Man, that was funny! :D