RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7626632-kmp-corsair.html)

smchale 12-03-2010 06:21 AM

RE: KMP Corsair

Brian, thanks the notes on the CG. Guess the best option is to start with it fwd then move it back.

So, my model just arrived so some of my initial questions (from the last page) have been answered. A couple I'm still curious about if anyone cares to share their thoughts?

What 4" tire options with alum hubs are being used as a good balance between strength and light weight? I'm thinking maybe the sullivan skylite's with alum hubs?

Any other modifications or hardware upgrades folks are recomending in the setup of this model? Also, anyone know that the wing panels are covered with? Looks like some sort of paper? Does it it shrink with heat? low or high?

DOC 12-03-2010 06:52 AM

Sullivan Skylite's are the way to go! Our runway is chip seal and i went thru a set of Dubro wheels in 3months. The sullivans seem to be of harder material and are holding up better.
Good luck on shrinking the fabric covering, I've had no luck there.
Regards, Dennis

smchale 12-07-2010 11:59 AM

Dennis, do you have a picture of your skylites on the corsair? I'm curious if the smaller rim makes much difference astetically?

p51tom 12-17-2010 12:03 PM

I just completed my scale Corsair tail wheel and mounted it in my model. I used Robart 4 1/2 inch wheels in my model. They are not heavy in weight only price. They are the proper size and should make flying off grass easier. I had to change the wheel wells to get the proper fit. The real Corsair has rectangular wheel wells. I am posting some photos for you. The last few photos I have added are coming out different sizes. Does anyone know what could be causing this.
Thanks
P51Tom

p51tom 12-17-2010 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The photos did not load. I will try again.
P51Tom

flukester 02-02-2011 10:37 AM

P51tom,
where did you get the drawings for the tail wheel mechanism if you don't mind me asking? I would love to build that baby but I'm not as good a modeler as to build from a picture alone. I noticed that you have the BT plans and what looks like a new set drawn an CAD as well as a sketch. You're posts are great. I need to see pictures and have a description to help me along. Too much arguing over the CG and retracts. I hope that you stay with us. Is there a build thread you could point me to for the plane as well as the tail wheel? Keep up the posts please, but I'm afraid you've already finished.

Thanks ....flukester

smchale 02-11-2011 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: smchale

Congrats Brian. Mine arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to get started. Have most of the items I need so should be able to dig into it shortly. What did your final weight end up at, and where did you settle for a CG?
Well mines all finished now. Here are a few pics. Going to set the CG around 110mm to start, seems the safest move. Here's a summary of some of the details:

ESM 74" span Corsair, Hacker A60-14L motor, CC ESC, 2x 5S 5000mah lipos in series for motor fuel, Williams dummy radial kit, lined cowl with carbon fiber and added two large hatches for battery access, Model Solutions of Canada sound card, 2x 40W speakers in wing, 2x 3S 910mah lipos in series for sound, futaba 2.4 rx, 6.0V nimh rx battery (size tba based on balance), functioning canopy, pappy boyington pilot figure with head linked to ailerons, scale pitot tube, scale antenna, sierra precision main retracts, sullivan skylite wheels, scratchbuilt retracting tailwheel, rib stitching on wings and tail surfaces, painted with testors MM enamels, stencils and transfers by getstencils.com, scale accessories static 3-blade prop, APC 22x12 2-blade flying prop. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things...let me know if you want any additional pics. Weight 22 lbs.

Also did a run up test in the driveway, here's a video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dwM6D4N4KQ

irocbsa 02-11-2011 05:01 AM

Could you share your method for making the pilot's head rotate with the ailerons? Did you use a separate servo slaved to the aileron channel or did you rig up some sort of bellcrank and wire assemly?

smchale 02-11-2011 05:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There really wasn't a lot to it. I used a 2-56 thread rod epoxied into his head, then ran that through a carbon tube in his body down through the floor. By the way, the rod was nice to hold while painting the head.

I just ran the carbon tube down below the floor far enough to clear the pull-pull cables. On the thread rod I added a nylon control arm and connected it to a mini servo slaved off the aileron channel.

I did need to sand a little around the base of his neck as well as inside his collar to allow the head to turn. Also the carbon tube extends a fraction above the body so the head pivots on the carbon tube and not on the body.

irocbsa 02-11-2011 06:41 AM

Thanks! A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

aghost 02-11-2011 06:58 AM

Sean, Very nice!! It will go well with your other planes shown on your website.

Brian

Flight 21 02-11-2011 11:20 AM

Smchale that is one sweet bird. VERY nicely done! Let us know how great she flies!

p51tom 02-13-2011 11:16 AM

Flukester
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was on a 14 day cruise. I have posted information on "Looking for Corsair tail wheel build". Use the search function and you should find it. You will find a great amount of informaion from many builders of this tail wheel. My informaion starts on the last few pages.
Good luck,
P51Tom

p51tom 03-16-2011 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Smchale,
I just completed my ESM Corsair and had to add 28 ounces to the nose for the proper CG. Adding so much weight, my plane came in at 20 and 1/2 pounds.
I had a 75" Brian Tayor Corsair that weighed 22 pounds and it was a great flying model. It was powered with a SuperTigre 3ooo with an 18x6 Zinger prop which gave it plenty of power. With the CG at 25% it landed very slow with those large flaps. I sold it to a friend who still has it. I wanted to go with gas engines so I powered my EMS with a RCGF 26 using an 18x8 Zinger.
I saw your completed Corsair and it looks great. Like my Tayor Corsair your model came in at 22 pounds and it should fly as well as mine did. The weather is getting nice so when the time comes, please let us know how your Corsair flys.

lynn1130 06-29-2011 01:31 PM

Does anyone know who is selling the Sierra gear for this plane that VQ used to carry? I know, Sierra LOL and I will call them too but was wondering if there are others. A friend is building his now and would like the retracts like I have but I can no longer find them listed.

skillet92 06-29-2011 02:49 PM

If I remember correctly serria never had them listed you had to ask for them. But I believe if you go to arfpromodels.com they have the serria gear. Mine are GREAT. The strongest gear that I have. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the esm 190 and will get the serria gear for it also.

lynn1130 06-29-2011 03:10 PM

I can't find them on ARFPros. They show the ESM gear (which are crap in my estimation) but I could not find the Sierra. I am still looking.

skillet92 06-29-2011 04:05 PM

lynn I found this link to VQWarbirds for the sierra retracts on google. Seems to still be good. Let me know! How is your Corsair still flying. I love mine and have really been enjoying it!!!:D:D

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...roducts_id=100

DOC 06-29-2011 04:09 PM

Try Sierra direct ! < http://www.sierragiant.com/ >
I have a pair that i have used on my ESM corsair for the last year and a half. I was saving them for an F6F hellcat. they have worked well for over 100 flights, but are sloppy from wear. I just retired the Corsair as War weary. Seems the Aerovate 26 has lost 50% of its power and is simply wore out !

smchale 06-29-2011 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the video of the first flightof my ESM Corsair today. Not too exciting, and a bit of a bounce on the landing. The wind was gusting quite a bit as I'm sure you can pick up on the camera...which was stuck on my hat so i apologize for the amateur quality. I'll work on that.

All in all the flight was good. The biggest challenge seemed to get it going straight on the take off roll, it really wants to turn, and sharp! I've never used a gyro before but wonder if it may help in this regard. Any suggestions? I fly Futaba so I'm open to any thoughts on a good one, as well as a suitable rudder servo to match it (again, foreign territory for me).
It also had quite a 'waggle' in the air, which I assume is common for the F4U? Would a gyro clean that up a bit?
You can hear me trimming a bit in the video, which was a lost cause due to the wind...I think I took out most of the trim i put in...haha.

The motor has gobs of power, and 12S made this thing really groove. I bounced the landing as I came in pretty hot, I was nervous about the weight. But the wing seemed to handle it well and I'm sure I could dial in more flap and slow it down in future flights.

I didn't run the sound on the first flight, I also disconnected the canopy valve servo (but did add air to keep in closed) and the pilots head. I'll go back and tweak the 'bling' once I finalize all the rates and settings, etc.

Sean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMvLD7S6_E

DOC 06-29-2011 05:13 PM

Sean, The best take off is so easy once you do it. Start out with just enough power to get it rolling slowly down the center line (just a high idle) then inch the power forward just enough to get the tail off tho ground. Now you have good directional control, but not enough power to get airborn(you should be 1/2 way down the runway). now open the throttle smoothly and complete the centerline TO. Try it, it works

skillet92 06-29-2011 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sean, I just built my second one and have been flying it for about 3 weeks now!:D I did alot better job on this one it seems judging from flights that I have got so far. I have managed over a dozen so far and it is a putty cat!! I balanced mine at 4 and a half and I have a G-38 turning a 18x8 APC for power! More than enough!!:D Mine will just float in and it came in at just over 19 pounds!! As for the take offs just what DOC said I just ease in the power slowly till it gets moving while keeping just a tad of pressure on the elevator. I still have to control the left tendency with the rudder but after the tail comes up it smooths out. By the time I am at 3/4 throttle it lifts off scale like. I don't apply full throttle until she is about 30 to 40 feet because of the torque and roll over effect. Most of the time I fly on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for a more scale flight.

As for the "waggle" mine has it just like my first and it does not seem to affect the way that it flys. It does it more in high speed passes. Here are some pics of mine!

PS Beautiful weathering job!!!

DOC 06-29-2011 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've seen just about every Corsair model and they all HUNT during high speed level flight. The best part of flying this bird is the full flap landings.
Just Sweet !

smchale 06-30-2011 03:09 AM

Thanks for the input guys, great pics! Now that it's flown I can focus more on takeoffs (you know how the maiden goes with a million things going through your head at once :D) and smooth them out. You are much lighter than I am, but that's my own doing. I'm closer to 24lbs. I refinished the entire model with panel lines, rivets, rib stitching, etc etc. I've also beefed up the front with 2 very large cowl flaps to install the 2x 6S packs, sliding canopy, sierra gear, full depth cockpit with moving pilot head, scale tailwheel assembly, sound system with 2 wing mounted speakers and 6S lipos inside....
Despite all that it didn't feel heavy in the air and the landing did slow it down, a bit more flap will be good too. I think the wing handles the weight well. Thanks again for your input.

Whistling Death 06-30-2011 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: DOC

Try Sierra direct ! < http://www.sierragiant.com/ >
I have a pair that i have used on my ESM corsair for the last year and a half. I was saving them for an F6F hellcat. they have worked well for over 100 flights, but are sloppy from wear. I just retired the Corsair as War weary. Seems the Aerovate 26 has lost 50% of its power and is simply wore out !
I bought mine from VQ.