RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7626632-kmp-corsair.html)

Corsair 29 06-16-2008 06:52 PM

KMP Corsair

1 Attachment(s)
I'm Loving it!!!!!!

[link=http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?products_id=187&osCsid=a001e489d3 715388c90042191759c088]http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?products_id=187&osCsid=a001e489d3 715388c90042191759c088[/link]

vik 06-17-2008 12:12 AM

RE: KMP Corsair

nice, MUCH better look than the CMP rubbish
btw front side view?
Are the legs in scale position, or they are little to wide?

kahloq 06-17-2008 03:01 AM

very nice

CorsairJock 06-17-2008 04:53 AM

Didn't realize that there are 2 identical thread on this. Since this one was 1st, I'll post to this one from now on.

I am really impressed: looks like KMP has been listening, has been doing research, and is putting scale accurate finishes and markings on this one. My only complaint would be what I consider to be an oddball size: it is 6" shy of being giant scale.

Also, I DO wish they would leave the numbers off, so we could at least replicate OTHER Jolly Rogers Corsairs instead of just Ira Kepford's.

Hellcat716 06-17-2008 11:28 PM

Great looking ARF. I am a little concerned about the weight. 16 1/2 lbs seems like a very high wing loading. What size gas engine would be required to fly the plane? I suppose it will need a lot of weight up front.

vasek 06-18-2008 02:39 AM

Yeah, I would like to see it fly also. I'm really exited about this one. Some miner bash & lots of weathering and she'll look gorgeous!

I was told there's no vid of the prototype as it went down due to a faulty servo. That's a shame.

I guess we have to wait until someone here puts one together.

I'm seriously considering selling my CMP and getting this one. I like the fact it comes with the optional retracts, no fuss. Or would the new Lado fit the bill? It would be interesting to have some pics from the underside too.

Cheers, V.

mirwin 06-18-2008 08:12 AM

RATS! Only a couple weeks ago, after waiting and waiting and waiting, I gave up on a respectable size F4U of a decent scale and with flaps, and bought a H9 Corsair. If this KMP turns out as good as looks, I'll have to get one.

At 16 1/2LB, I'd guess a 26cc gasser minimum or a 1.80 4-stroke minimum.

KMP says that we can get one that's primed and ready for paint. That's the ticket!

Having received my Lado's for the H9 Corsair only yesterday, I'm already thinking that I could retro-fit Lado actuators to RoboStruts. I'm doing that to my H9 1.50 P-47 now.

Mike

CAPT John 06-18-2008 08:38 AM

The KMP site now shows a flying weight of 14.5 lbs. and a recommended engine range of a 1.50 - 1.80 4-stoke.

bladerunner1955 06-18-2008 09:08 AM

I am wondering about the weight needed in most of the KMP ARFs? The nose looks long enough to not need all that extra added weight? The FW needed a very large amount of extra nose weight as well as the Typhoon. What do you guys think? 14.5 pounds mentioned in the last coment would be great but if you need to add another 2 or 3 pounds it turns into a heavy corsair in a hurry.

vasek 06-19-2008 02:25 AM

You're right bladerunner. I think (i hope) for the Corsair if the batteries are placed over the engine no "dead" weight will be needed to balance.

Chad Veich 06-19-2008 10:03 AM

Just my .02 cents but 17-18 pounds on a 75" wing Corsair is not bad at all. I've seen the Brian Taylor designed 75" span Corsair flown at over 20 pounds with no problems. My only concerns would be making sure to have enough power to haul the weight and a sturdy enough landing gear to handle it as well.

flyingtanks 06-19-2008 03:01 PM

Very nice. KMP has some nice looking stuff. Anyone do an electric?

LDM 06-19-2008 06:54 PM

THis would be my first KMP plane , wondering if previous owners can comment on the quality .I have read the reviews on some of the others and it was mixed based on weight issues . The typhoon needed almost 5lbs and came in at 19.5 vs the 14lbs as stated .Now mind you , I am building /bashing a CMP Fw190and I moved the 4 wing servos ahead on the CG -saving 5.5 oz off the tail. So I do believe weight can be adjusted in the assembly process but bashing an $200 arf is worth it , bashing a $479 arf is somewhat of concern because I figured the extra $$$$ is for quality , enginering and flight characteristics .
Can anyone please comment on the quality of the fiberglass fuse , wheels and overall satisfaction of the KMP line

AKondor 06-19-2008 07:59 PM

HI:

The fiberglass work on our ARF's is among the finest in the industry. We use only epoxy resin and not polyester like other cheaper glass fuses on the market. Also there are no seams. We paint everything after it comes out of the mold. Furthermore the wings and all tail surfaces are airbrushed to match perfectly. In addition the finsh on the plane is not shiny. Most finishes on our aircraft are flat or satin unlike almost all others in the business and the paint is a two part epoxy base (not cheap).

There was some mention about nose weight. The Typhoon needed a lot of nose weight (much more then most) because the tail was also composite and that makes it heavier in the rear. Of course the wings are further ahead proportionately and that doesn't help the cause.

But back to the Corsair.... I was fortunate enough to fly the plane about two weeks ago while in China. The plane flew well (ok, could have used a bit more power) with a 1.20 OS four stroke and it needed about 1.3 lbs to balance. But it tracked very well and handled most common aerobatic maneuvers well. Fortunately for those with a G26 or similar gas engine you would have the needed additional power and no need for the additional nose weight I think the flying weight was about 15 - 15.5 lbs with the retracts for our test plane. If you do not use the retracts I am thinking about 13.5-14 lbs depending on servo selection and engine selection.

I hope this helps.[8D]

AKondor 06-19-2008 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is "yours' truly" with the test plane... Yes I actually do fly them all before we sell them!

Hellcat716 06-20-2008 03:23 AM

Do the gear doors come with the plane?

Jimmy Bananas 06-20-2008 03:50 AM

would like to get one now, but will wait until the fall and make it a winter project........wonder if I could get one painted, without the decals....like to put my own on....ahhhhhh yes, and will install a retractable tail wheel... Have a G-26 and a FPE 2.4 gasser........will decide after I get the kit...........AL, please comb your hair...............................:D

LDM 06-20-2008 05:20 AM

Andrew , thanks for the reply , I have a saito 180 in mind , or do I need the next size saito , planning on gear so I dont want an under powered bird , please let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Lou

Chad Veich 06-20-2008 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: LDM

THis would be my first KMP plane , wondering if previous owners can comment on the quality .I have read the reviews on some of the others and it was mixed based on weight issues . The typhoon needed almost 5lbs and came in at 19.5 vs the 14lbs as stated .Now mind you , I am building /bashing a CMP Fw190and I moved the 4 wing servos ahead on the CG -saving 5.5 oz off the tail. So I do believe weight can be adjusted in the assembly process but bashing an $200 arf is worth it , bashing a $479 arf is somewhat of concern because I figured the extra $$$$ is for quality , enginering and flight characteristics .
Can anyone please comment on the quality of the fiberglass fuse , wheels and overall satisfaction of the KMP line
LDM, I purchased a Typhoon second hand which I'm doing a bit of re-work on. The previous owner said the ready to fly weight was ~17 pounds which is within reason for a 73" warbird. Granted, it's nowhere near the advertised weight and I really don't think you could ever move stuff around enough to get the Typhoon balanced at 14 pounds. The glass work looks good enough and the fit and finish is probably a 7 on a 10 scale. Mine is the all composite version and the three piece wing does not mate up as nicely as I'd like and their are a few other minor issues. Overall though I'm quite happy with the appearance and construction. At some point I may take the airplane down and re-finish it and this may include adding new, built up, tail surfaces in an effort to reduce weight in the back end. I would rather have the Corsair so if somebody in the Phoenix area wants to buy a Typhoon... :)

PS - My bigges pet peave is retracts. The supplied gear and struts may be fine for a 12-14 pound airplane but they are not adequate for a 17-20 pound airplane. My Typhoon now has Robart gear and Shindin struts to get the job done. I think KMP, YT, or whoever needs to supply gear that are rated for real world finished weights and not overly optimistic estimated weights. This would be the one area I would be looking at very carefully on the Corsair as I've never seen a decent set of bargain priced rotating retracts.

MANFRED 06-20-2008 09:17 AM

Amen.

vasek 06-20-2008 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

... as I've never seen a decent set of bargain priced rotating retracts.
Let's hope the KMP will beat the odds. I have ordered the gen. 5 retracts with the KMP Spitfire last week. After some searching they appear to be descent air rectract set for 200$ and NO MODS are needed to fit the gear doors etc..

So I'm willing to give it a go for the rotating set for the Corsair (around 250$ complete with oleos, valve, hoses...) I haven't found a pic yet, but the're be similar to the Spit kit shown.

Let's hope for the best;)
Cheers, V.

LDM 06-20-2008 05:37 PM

Chad thanks great info . I emialed Paul from KMP about my concerns over the retracts because I would rather spend the money on sierra or robart gear made for the 1/5 corsair .
I dont know if the smaller sierra gear can handle this plane if it does indeed come in at 14 to 16 pounds I think the smaller rotators from sierra can work .
I like the looks of the KMP corsair , I still have that cheapy devel in me saying but the CMP version , work on and add retracts for half the cost , but this one looks good and to ANdrews credit he has given me some good quality reasons why they cost more .
I want to look at a saito 180 , every KMP I have seen in reviews was somewhat underpowered , the Typhon that you have Chad was tested with a gas engine and the engine was too small , I think the review model could have benifited from a larger engine and moveing the gear around .
I am trying a G26EI in my FW190 bash , my goal is to keep adding dead weight under 16oz max .
I am probably going to buy the corsair next week , its just looks to good to pass up , all I can hope is that the quality lives up to the name .

kahloq 06-20-2008 05:42 PM

Hmmmm A saito 170 radial probably would fly it, but no better then a 1.20 size 4 stroke. Too bad Saito didnt make a radial inbetween the 170 and the 325.....like 5 .40's for a 200 size or maybe 5 x .56's for a 280 size

Hellcat716 06-20-2008 08:54 PM

I ordered the corsair yesterday and called Darrell at Sierria Percision and he told me he will be getting the first corsair and will let me know if his existing gear will fit or if he needs to make up a new set. Either way it sounds like he will be making his gear for the KMP corsair. I ordered mine without the gear so I really need Darrell to make the gear for this corsair. It is a lot of money to invest in a plane so I want a gear that I can trust. Will let you all know when Darrell responds.

Jimmy Bananas 06-21-2008 05:57 AM

LDM;

Can you give me Paul's e-mail address at KMP........I need to write to him.....thanx