RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7644110-complete-yellow-aircraft-spitfire-thread.html)

Moggy 01-17-2011 10:20 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Weighed the Spit today minus paint, pilot and ballast, she came in at 24lbs. I'm hoping due to the 3W60 I won't have more than 2-3 lbs of lead. I didn't have RCU as a resource when I started this project and didn't want to take three steps backward and rip out components that were installed like rudder and stab. I also screwed up and put the air can behind the CG (I tried to get it out to move it but the PFM would have ripped the bottom of the fuse in pieces) everything else is as far forward as can be, gas tank right on CG etc. I'll have to go easy on the paint. Any thoughts besides build a new one? If she comes in under 30lbs I'll be happy (I think).

nudger 01-18-2011 12:55 PM

Hi Moggy
Spit coming on a treat.be nice to see those glennis wheels,was thinking about them my self.As for the weight with the 60 you have in , it will pull it about no problem.If you think you are worried Ive only got a 43 and looking at 27Ib:eek:

Cheers Nudge

Flyfast1 01-18-2011 01:54 PM

I think it will be fine. Mine is 27lbs and it flys fine. I am using a FPE 3.4 (55cc) engine.

-Ed B.

Moggy 01-18-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. I'm not happy with my wheel covers so I did a makeover, hope this one is better so I can move along. The Glennis wheels are 5" but perhaps fatter than the Yellow ones so it's a pain getting them to sit right in the wheel well. Nudge, here are a couple pics of the wheels. Cheers.

Moggy

Brad330l 01-19-2011 02:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Moggy

Thanks guys. I'm not happy with my wheel covers so I did a makeover, hope this one is better so I can move along. The Glennis wheels are 5'' but perhaps fatter than the Yellow ones so it's a pain getting them to sit right in the wheel well. Nudge, here are a couple pics of the wheels. Cheers.

Moggy
Nice looking wheels Moggy. I picked that they were not YA wheels when I saw them tucked away in your wing. The Yellow ones measure out at 4 5/8th" which works out pretty close to 1/5th scale to my (Mkv) full sized ones. The Glennis are a bit bigger. I hope you get them sorted as they look really nice. The fatter tyre looks more scale and I love the 'block' tread.

Good luck with them.

Brad

Moggy 01-19-2011 06:51 AM

Brad trust me, you'll never get them to fit in your Spitfire no matter how hard you try LOL. Nice find what are you going to do with them?

nudger 01-19-2011 10:44 AM

Thanks Moggy
definitley look more scale than the YA wheels.Are you pleased with them or wouldnt you bother?
I agree with Moggy Brad your never gona get them to fit:D

cheers Nudge

Moggy 01-19-2011 05:12 PM

Nudge

Yeah, I am pleased with them, takes a little fussing to get them settled into the wheel well but worth it. Check out what Bill did with his Glennis wheels http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=1707&PN=7

Brad330l 01-20-2011 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Brad trust me, you'll never get them to fit in your Spitfire no matter how hard you try LOL. Nice find what are you going to do with them?
Yeah Moggy just had to have them after seeing them on $Bay and was lucky enough to see the other bidders off.
They are Mk V rims from Darwin so maybe helped keep the Japanese from keeping their aim straight and the tyres are from Col Pay's (RIP) MK VIII Spitfire now based at the Temora aviation Museum.
The previous owner got the tyres and brought the appropriate tubes to suit and I have 22psi in them and are just for display. I told the Missus it was the start of my ground up restoration of a Spitfire. She laughed of course.
Love those Glennis.

Here is a couple of pictures of how I will be retaining my canopy. It is a couple of simple frames with 6mm diameter rear earth magnets glued on. This was simple enough to do and really does take a bit to slide it back from closed. The front of the canopy sits under the windscreen frame so hopefully this will suffice to keep it in place during all the high speed manoeuvring we will be doing.:)
After a bit of paint it will be hard to see when closed and 'interesting' when opened.
Tonight I started getting all the tooling and pieces together for the exhaust and will get a bit done over the week end.

Hey Nudge, get any exhausts done? I am making mine to suit your diameter.;)

Cheers,

Brad

Brad330l 01-21-2011 06:00 AM

I made a little movie (under 4 minutes) of my Spitty build. It is a pictorial collation and includes my dear departed shed hog dog Ben who didnt quite see the build out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9K58sdqhG0

There is music with the 'vid' but not what I made it to. (that was a big no-no) When I viewed it the music I was allowed to have it started at about 20secs and then again it didnt sound at all[:'(]:eek:
Maybe it will sort its self out.

Muffler this week end!

Cheers,

Brad

Moggy 01-21-2011 07:32 AM

Brad

Sorry to hear about your dog, they can rip your heart out when they leave us.

Moggy 01-24-2011 02:09 PM

OK guys, here's a heads up that may or may not pertain to you. While installing my Keleo exhaust and engine I noticed that I had a big gap between my fuse and spinner back plate. It drove me nuts trying to understand how it could change from the original mounting and now. Well, after trying everything, I realized I changed spinner back plates when I broke the tap off on the original and bought a new one. The guide hole (for lack of a better term) is not the same depth as the old one. I don't know if anyone has multiple back plates, maybe Leo does, but they have changed the depth so you might want to check it.

Cheers

Moggy

DaddySam 01-24-2011 05:13 PM

Do any of you have any of the YA Spit wheels (4-5/8") you're looking to sell? I think they would work well for my Hurricanes.
Thanks
Sam

Flyfast1 01-24-2011 05:34 PM

Hi Sam,

In case you don't already know, Sierra Precision sells nice wheels for the Vailly Hurricane. That's an alternative if you can't find a set of Yellow wheels and they have the correct number of spokes for the Hurricane.

-Ed B.

DaddySam 01-24-2011 06:15 PM

Hi Ed,
I've been looking at Hurricane wheels for some time now, and debating the pros and cons. Of the Hurricanes that I think I will be modeling, the Yellow Aircraft wheels/tires look to be the closest in size and style. The YA web page lists them at 4-5/8 inches in diameter, which is very close to exactly what I need. I thought I'd try here amongst the YA aficionados first before paying retail. With two Hurricanes and two BT 83" spits to build, I could end up buying four sets!
Sam

Brad330l 01-24-2011 08:46 PM

Brad

Sorry to hear about your dog, they can rip your heart out when they leave us.
Cheers Moggy, it was a little while ago now but I still miss him.
That is a good heads up about he spinner backing plate. Dont you think they would keep something like that the same?

Cheers,

Brad

nudger 01-27-2011 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
Update report
Have been applying scale rib tapes to the rudder and elevators.one hell of a job but i think the effect will be worth it when finnished:eek:,but as you can see in the forth pic Ive got another little project to do.I was hoping to get the spit done this year but it aint gonna happen,so i decided Id get some thing as big but be quick to build.Hence the 50cc esm/yt corsair.So for the next few months Ill be jumping ship, but Ill be keeping a close eye on you guys and expecting a yellow spit in the skys very shortley;)

Cheers Nudge

ps Brad Ill find out about the stacks

Brad330l 01-27-2011 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: nudger

Hi Guys
Update report
Have been applying scale rib tapes to the rudder and elevators.one hell of a job but i think the effect will be worth it when finnished:eek:,but as you can see in the forth pic Ive got another little project to do.I was hoping to get the spit done this year but it aint gonna happen,so i decided Id get some thing as big but be quick to build.Hence the 50cc esm/yt corsair.So for the next few months Ill be jumping ship, but Ill be keeping a close eye on you guys and expecting a yellow spit in the skys very shortley;)

Cheers Nudge

ps Brad Ill find out about the stacks
NUDGE, PLEASE DONT LEAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
That rib tape should look very nice under some paint. I just cant wait to see all of your model together.

No worries mate, I must admit I put the Spitty aside for my Tigercat build. Have fun and thanks for checking on the exhausts. If I get my act together this weekend I'll have my working exhaust ready to be welded next week. Then it is just put it all back together and fly.

Cheers,

Brad

Flyfast1 01-28-2011 09:45 AM

Hi Sam,

I originally purchased the Vailly Hurricane wheels from Vailly when I ordered the plans and other accessories, but after I got the Sierra landing gear, I purchased the Sierra Hurricane wheels and they are a lot nicer and better looking. The Vailly Hurricane wheels weren't bad, but next to the Sierra wheels they didn't look nearly as nice. I sold the Vailly Hurricane wheels a while ago, otherwise I would take a picture of both for you to compare.

My apologies for posting about the Vailly Hurricane in this thread. We should probably move this to Sam's build thread, if I can find it.

-Ed B.

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Hi Ed,
I've been looking at Hurricane wheels for some time now, and debating the pros and cons. Of the Hurricanes that I think I will be modeling, the Yellow Aircraft wheels/tires look to be the closest in size and style. The YA web page lists them at 4-5/8 inches in diameter, which is very close to exactly what I need. I thought I'd try here amongst the YA aficionados first before paying retail. With two Hurricanes and two BT 83'' spits to build, I could end up buying four sets!
Sam

Moggy 01-28-2011 05:18 PM

Nudge

Are you going to bash that ARF kit?

DDayWarbird 01-29-2011 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I am still flying the ole Spit. It is a great plane. Lands nicely with or without flaps. And to exceed all expectations flies quite nicely on the G38. Here are some pictures.

Moggy 01-29-2011 06:15 AM

Good Stuff DDay! I hope to be flying mine this summer. Right now we are buried in snow.

Spychalla Aircraft 01-29-2011 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

OK guys, here's a heads up that may or may not pertain to you. While installing my Keleo exhaust and engine I noticed that I had a big gap between my fuse and spinner back plate. It drove me nuts trying to understand how it could change from the original mounting and now. Well, after trying everything, I realized I changed spinner back plates when I broke the tap off on the original and bought a new one. The guide hole (for lack of a better term) is not the same depth as the old one. I don't know if anyone has multiple back plates, maybe Leo does, but they have changed the depth so you might want to check it.

Cheers

Moggy
Moggy, Yes, I noticed this a few years back. I've always had multiple spinners to choose from so it never caused me a problem. There are two different spinner backplate depths. One has a .170" pocket depth cut in the back, the other has a .250" pocket depth cut in the back. No reason that I can see for this. Of the three I have in the pictures here they are all different. Sorry I can't help you with this as I am not going to part with the spinnners I have because I spent that extra money lightening them up which has worked fantastic these past 2 seasons. Leo

Moggy 01-29-2011 10:44 AM

Leo

I brought the spinner in question to the machine shop to have it cut to the original depth. Very quirky though to say the least.

Moggy

Brad330l 01-29-2011 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

Cheers

Moggy
Moggy, Yes, I noticed this a few years back. I've always had multiple spinners to choose from so it never caused me a problem. There are two different spinner backplate depths. One has a .170'' pocket depth cut in the back, the other has a .250'' pocket depth cut in the back. No reason that I can see for this. Of the three I have in the pictures here they are all different. Sorry I can't help you with this as I am not going to part with the spinnners I have because I spent that extra money lightening them up which has worked fantastic these past 2 seasons. Leo
Leo do you balance your spinners in two stages? IE backing plate and then cone attached and balance again?
My spinner is quite unbalanced and did cause vibration during initial engine runs.

Cheers,

Brad