RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7644110-complete-yellow-aircraft-spitfire-thread.html)

lbscottsdale 08-25-2011 09:00 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Congratulations!!1

A lot of these planes have been built "per the plan" however if you beef up the wing joint you wont have to use 5oz cloth to cover the wing as the instructions call for.. 5oz is pretty difficult (for me) to get around curves. Do use a hard wood at the front of the flap opening or there is only soft balsa to hinge the flaps to!

Cheers

Len

ledd4u 08-25-2011 03:29 PM

Nice! I working on mine should be done before monster Planes.

kevinkenny 08-25-2011 04:35 PM

I will be beefing up both the wings and the retract saddle. I cant understand how the wings do not have that extrat wing support. Most of the planes I have built had such a brace.
Kevin

kenair 08-26-2011 03:44 AM

HI,

HI, I also posted this in a separate thread, however some of you maybe subscribed to this thread and don`t read RCU often - thanks ken
The Yellow Aircraft (YA) Spitfire Spinner has a heavy backplate, mine is 14.2 oz. What are the upsides and downsides at this weight.

Some have milled their backplates to reduce the weight, however is there many who have flown with a stock backplate, any feedback on flying with a heavy backplate.

I`m getting late in the season and am thinking about flying my YA spitfire with the stock spinner backplate and a DL 50.

Appreciate your comments and opinions

thanks in advance - ken kalynuk

I also posted this question in RCU

BobH 08-26-2011 03:55 AM

The UP side is that typically the Spit is tail heavy so a heavy back plate elimenates needing to add even more nose weight to get the correct CG. The only down side iwould be if your plane was already CG'd before you added the spinner.

Brad330l 08-28-2011 05:48 AM

Good on you Kevin,,,, great to see another Yellow Spitfire in the making. You can read and get loads of advice but in the end it is your model mate and you are the one who will be building, flying and maintaining the thing so go with what you feel is the best for you. I like to push myself a bit when I build and try different things so I went with a lot of advice from some pretty experienced people, and in saying that went a bit further than suggested once or twice just because I felt better with what I did.

Fytrjok, good luck with the engine change,, hope to hear of the maiden soon. Like I said before ,,,,, loving that pink.
Kenair, one obvious plus for the lightened spinner back plate is the lessened spinning mass and the forces it exerts. Leo might chime in here and explain that he went through a some sets of bearings after a couple of seasons of flying (but I will leave the details up to him) Another is the 'spool up time' and throttle response increase that some say is a benefit. I flew my Spitfire with the stock spinner set up and even though I balanced it as best I could it vibrated quite a lot at higher RPM's. Just before I went away on holidays I ran the engine with the lightened and rebalanced spinner and it ran so much smoother. It could be better as I think the back plate is not concentric (center mounting bore off center or some thing) but I will need to prove this by setting it up in a lathe and dialling it up. If it is off I will bore it out a touch and make a new brass 'collet'. Anyway mate the lightening of the backplate really did lessen the vibration. As BobH has said I will now have to go back and rebalance the CG, but this wont be an issue as I can move batteries around.

Cheers guys,

Brad

Flyfast1 08-29-2011 12:23 PM

Hi Ken,

I previously flew my spitfire with a FPE 3.4 (55cc) with the stock backplate and the plane flew fine. I did lighten my backplate by drilling 1/2" holes and removed about 4.2 ounces. I was able to move a battery pack forward to maintain the cg. I preferred the lightened backplate because my engine had improved spoolup. The engine accelerated better and was a little "snappier" if that makes any sense. As others have pointed out, a lighter backplate may also be easier on the bearings. I don't see any downside other than making sure to balance the backplate after the material is removed. The spinner is not that heavy, so a lightened backplate is plenty strong. So, I would recommend doing it, if you have something you can easily move forward to balance the plane. I will be lightening the backplate on my new spitfire.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

-Ed B.

Brad330l 09-05-2011 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one for you guys using the Y/A mains retracts.[X(]

Flight # five was meant to be another relaxed "getting to know my aeroplane" flight. It turned out,,, not so relaxed.[X(]
With the spinner lightened and rebalanced (so a bit further back CG that was no worries), perfect weather and not a soul in sight (the boys were late!!!:)) I performed the run up with still a bit of vibration at full throttle but very acceptable at half to three quarter and took off perfectly for another flight. All was going well with a couple of loops, some rolls and barrel rolls and a touch of inverted to check that CG. As I flew past my self at about 150' and upwind a bit the engine just quite suddenly.[X(][X(] So no time to waste, right turn 180 deg to a down wind (that was now blowing a good bit), still got good height and heaps of room, the whole huge field actually, gear down on late down wind and a descending turn to line up,,, man this thing needs power to fly,,, loosing a bit of height now and getting close to the ground as I finish turning into wind and then I run out of elevator!!!!!!![X(][X(] luckily just inches off the ground an with a level attitude and right wing down a few degrees. Well I was shocked to see the right wing go down and the Spitty run on a bit then screw right and sit on it's one main, tail wheel and right wing tip. Man that wasnt even a bad landing!!!!!!!!! If the spring steel connecting rod that holds the undercarriage leg into the retract mechanism had not sheared off then it would have done a bit of a bounce and that would have been it. Well thankfully there was no other damage apart from a mark on the bottom of the wing where the departing leg scraped the surface and just punched a tiny hole.
Man that really had me going. The worst thing was carrying the thing back across the field as it got heavy quickly and the guys were just rolling up so I had a lot of questions to answer.:)
Now what happened,,,, the ignition module broke it's mounts again and fell around in the cowl so it pulled a lead out killing the engine flat. Before I fly it again (apart from fixing the U/C) I am going to have to remachine this spinner because I think the center bore is not quite in the center so causing the vibration.
Fewwwwww.
Got out of this one lightly.

Cheers,

Brad
Edit for some reason I had writen left gear and wing etc where as it was actually the right.

trent smith 09-05-2011 03:02 AM

Hey Brad that was a lucky escape as most of us don't do so well when we have a dead engine but I think you did well and lived to fly another day. Usually we learn something from incidents like this and it sounds like your ignition mounting may be revised prior to the next flight. Cheers Trent.

Brad330l 09-05-2011 03:26 AM

ORIGINAL: trent smith

Hey Brad that was a lucky escape as most of us don't do so well when we have a dead engine but I think you did well and lived to fly another day. Usually we learn something from incidents like this and it sounds like your ignition mounting may be revised prior to the next flight. Cheers Trent.
Oh yes,,, I learnt a couple of things out of this mate.

Cheers,

Brad

kenair 09-05-2011 04:57 AM

Hi Brad, thanks for the update, the pucker factor must have right up there, good save!

I'm curious on your "the ignition module broke it's mounts again" can you post more info or photo on this.
cheers - ken k.

Brad330l 09-05-2011 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: kenair

Hi Brad, thanks for the update, the pucker factor must have right up there, good save!

I'm curious on your ''the ignition module broke it's mounts again'' can you post more info or photo on this.
cheers - ken k.
Thanks ken, will take some pictures and post.

Cheers,

Brad

DaddySam 09-05-2011 08:10 AM

Brad,
If you're using the 3W ignition, I'd recommend using a velcro strap over the main housing. On mine the plastic housing did not last long. I've replaced the plate with the mounting holes, but I've converted one of my 3W's over to RCXL ignition and probably will convert the other for standardization. I've had poor luck with theh 3W - had both repaired under warranty.
Sam

lbscottsdale 09-05-2011 09:33 AM

Great Save Brad

Maybe if I ever finish painting this bird I should just hang it on the wall!!!

Just kidding

Len

smurfjet 09-05-2011 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear about your gear issue. The pins on the Yellow gear are really not that strong. I've bent a few in my time on different spitfires. The good news is this.......I'd rather break the pin that connects the gear leg to the upper than to replace the gear rails and undoubtedly having to redo the top wing skin when the gear punch through. I've done both......

That being said, I've had some pretty hard hits and the pins don't just shear so possible you had a very weak pin. I don't know but I do know it's an easy fix. Hope to see it back in the air soon.

Here's a few pics of one of my yellow spits I flew last weekend at the Indiana Warbird Campaign. The pictures were taken by Roger Russell. Thanks Roger.

There was one other yellow spitfire with Leo's bubble conversion flown nicely by Joe. We put them up together on Saturday.

Dave

Brad330l 09-06-2011 02:30 AM

Hi Dave, yes an easy fix and I am happy it was all the damage that resulted but a bit unhappy it happened at all. It should have just done a bit of a bounce and sat there waiting for me to go get it.:)
Lovely looking Spitfire you have there mate. The weathering really brings it out so to speak. Ahh,,, with that would you have any pictures of the one Joe was flying? Just love these bubbles.

Cheers,

Brad

lbscottsdale 09-18-2011 10:28 AM

Brad... Glad everything turned out Okay...(sorta Ok) Don't break it before I get mine finished..Mine should be finished by now but i ran into a snag spraying the Warbirds Primer/Filler. My wing outer sections are covered with 1/2 ounce fiberglass and i put the epoxy on real thin. The diluted (15% with water) filler appears to soak thru and raise the wood grain....Ugh! So I may have to put some filler on "neat" over that section. On the upper wing which i haven't attemted to fill/prime yet i am going to put a filler coat of epoxy and fix this problem for good!! But I'm off on vacation for three weeks so i will get to it when I return. Still trying to be airborn before Christmas!!!

Len

ledd4u 09-22-2011 03:12 PM

I am getting done with mine.

kevinkenny 09-22-2011 04:05 PM

Hi Guys
My YA Spitfire arrived here in Trinidad yesterday. WOW. You all know the feeling when you first open the box. Told my wife thanks for an early christmas present. Spent a lot on Duty Freight and VAT. Its going to be fun building this wonderful plane.

Kevin

Brad330l 10-05-2011 05:02 AM

OK,,, how you guys going with these Spitfires????????
I think I have given you long enough to post a bit more without butting in but looks like it is up to me:D
Len you back off holidays yet??
Ledd4u, how about a bit more info mate and pictures,,, we need pictures!
Kev, good on you for taking the plung,,, and in Trinidad[X(] I thought you would just be down the beach all day:) I would be if I were there. Tell me about the freight and taxes mate,,, $560 AUS in freight for mine and that was when the Aussie dollar was about 90 cents US![:@]

Any way, not much to report from here except I have started a thread in the 'Composite' section of RCU about modifying my static spinner to make it a flying one.
Here it is,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10749533
I hope the guys there dont see any problems with what I want to do and I'll get it done and go flying.

Oh, I have finally found some material to make another couple of undercarriage joining stubs so can get that done now. (refer back a bit to what happened there)

Cheers,

Brad

fytrjok 10-05-2011 09:06 AM

Hey all, I had an interesting (frustrating) minor failure of the left main strut when landing last weekend. The strut tube that slides up and down in the oleo, let go of the lower strut and axle assembly, causing that component to "fall off" as I made a nice soft landing. The only damage was to the gear door, which broke, and to the prop. Upon inspection, I discovered that there was not enough grease in the oleo and the sliding tube stuck in a compressed state causing the "pressed in" lower axle/strut assembly to fall out. After dissassembly and liberal application of grease I found that the lower assy. still would fall out of the strut tube, so I grabbed it with a large pair of pliers and gave it a few whacks with a hammer. The tube seems to be more stable now and I don't anticipate any further problems. You might want to check this joint next time you have the struts out for maintenance and see if there's any slippage or play. It's hard to land when you don't have two serviceable mains! I posted some flying pics and a vid link of the maiden in the "New Pink Spit" thread. It seems there's always a few bugs that need to be worked out of any new warbird.

lbscottsdale 10-07-2011 10:03 AM

Interesting to say the least! I will certainly check lubrication of the assembly. On mine the V shaped retainer pieces opened different amounts causing one leg to be 1/8 longer than the other. I solved this by sawing off 1/8th from the main leg. Not an optimum solution. Quality of these retracts is a bit suspicious!!!!

Brad, welcome back I will be back in November

len

Brad330l 10-12-2011 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: fytrjok

Hey all, I had an interesting (frustrating) minor failure of the left main strut when landing last weekend. The strut tube that slides up and down in the oleo, let go of the lower strut and axle assembly, causing that component to ''fall off'' as I made a nice soft landing. The only damage was to the gear door, which broke, and to the prop. Upon inspection, I discovered that there was not enough grease in the oleo and the sliding tube stuck in a compressed state causing the ''pressed in'' lower axle/strut assembly to fall out. After dissassembly and liberal application of grease I found that the lower assy. still would fall out of the strut tube, so I grabbed it with a large pair of pliers and gave it a few whacks with a hammer. The tube seems to be more stable now and I don't anticipate any further problems. You might want to check this joint next time you have the struts out for maintenance and see if there's any slippage or play. It's hard to land when you don't have two serviceable mains! I posted some flying pics and a vid link of the maiden in the ''New Pink Spit'' thread. It seems there's always a few bugs that need to be worked out of any new warbird.
fytrjok, are you saying that the scissors assembly came apart allowing the lower oleo to fall out? With no lube the oleo got stuck up in the leg? This is very good information,,, just need to clarify it.
I think these retracts are just fine apart from out new found troubles.
With mine I got to machine up a couple of leg to actuator block pins (the one that broke) so the Spitty can stand on it's feet again.
I also checked to runout on my spinner backing plate, it was .17 or so of a mm. Not good.[:'(] I got to machine up a jig at work on the lathe and check it all out and trim it here and there ( I did add the prop washer before machining) so it is a lot truer now. I still have a little wobble with the spinner cone on though (.1 of a mm) but this should hopefully be fine. I enlarged the holes for the prop bolts a size because I felt that when tightening it all up that a couple of bolts could be contacting the back plate and causing trouble. I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities of causes of the vibration. Fingers crossed.
Now I am pulling everything out of the forward section of the model to get the engine out to repair and strengthen the ignition mounting.

Cheers,

Brad

fytrjok 10-12-2011 10:03 AM

No, the scissors were fine...they kept the whole wheel and axle assy. from being left behind. Yes, the oleo tube got stuck up in the leg and I guess the pressure from the spring was enough to pop out the lower wheel and axle assy(the components connected by the scissors). With my gear, the lower wheel/axle assy. is press-fit to the inner oleo tube that stuck.

Hope this helps to clarify. I do like these Yellow gear and have no other negative issues to report about them.

Brad330l 10-14-2011 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: fytrjok

No, the scissors were fine...they kept the whole wheel and axle assy. from being left behind. Yes, the oleo tube got stuck up in the leg and I guess the pressure from the spring was enough to pop out the lower wheel and axle assy(the components connected by the scissors). With my gear, the lower wheel/axle assy. is press-fit to the inner oleo tube that stuck.

Hope this helps to clarify. I do like these Yellow gear and have no other negative issues to report about them.
Right, now I understand fytr.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Ok, ignition mount is now modified and installed. On the original 'feet' glued straight to the top of the cowl I glued and screwed some 1/8th ply and fuel proofed it with epoxy. Next I cut eight pieces of double sided tape into little squares and stuck them onto the corners of the module (one in each corner doubled up) for some vibration absorption and the keep it in place. Next came the velcro strap. This should keep it in place now. Am currently re-installing the rest of the gear back in and then will look at the spinner balancing for possible flying tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brad