RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7644110-complete-yellow-aircraft-spitfire-thread.html)

Peter_OZ 08-21-2012 08:20 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Brad build that bloody P51~~~ :D

no comments on P47s either thank you very much ! [8D]

Flyfast1 08-26-2012 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken, congratulations on finishing your spitfire. It's nice to see another one flying. They are great planes, aren't they?

So, I have been making slow but steady progress on my build. Here are two pictures of my tail wheel area. The first picture shows the reinforcement that I added to the tail. I glued in a piece of 6 ounce carbon fiber cloth. I wiped down the area with acetone and then roughed up the fiberglass with some 60 grit sand paper before gluing in the cloth. Total weight was 17 grams, 3.5 grams for the cloth and 13.5 grams of epoxy resin. That will require about 70 grams up front to balance, but it secures the stabilizer to the fuse and it is stiff and strong.

The second picture shows the tail wheel installation. I used the dimensions for the actuator arms that someone else had posted on this thread as a starting point and that worked great, so thanks to all those who have contributed! The second picture also shows that I chose to use two separate carbon fiber rods for the elevator, one controlling each side driven by a separate servo. I would have preferred to have a single internal rod for looks, but I personally prefer to have each half driven separately in case a servo or linkage fails. The carbon fiber rods are so light that there was no weight penalty in the tail, given the weight savings of not using the center joining rod. There is an extra servo up front, but that is close to the cg. Lots of ways of doing this, depending upon personal preference.

-Ed B.

Flyfast1 08-26-2012 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Moving on to the wing. Pics 1 and 2 show the wing ready for primer. I used 1/32" Chartpak tape for the panel lines. I have tried 1/64" before and prefer using the 1/32" size. It is easier for me to work with and I think makes better looking lines on a plane this size. The 1/64" size may be closer to scale, but I think the 1/32" looks better. Again, personal choice.

I am using SEM high build automotive primer. Good stuff, but it is toxic, so remember to apply it outside or wear a paint filter, or both. Pics 3 and 4 show removal of a section of ChartPak tape. Pic 5 shows one area where the tape has been removed to make nice panel lines.

The last pic shows my "test panel" that I built to try different finishing materials. I have been experimenting with different rivet tools and aluminum tapes to add details. I've been using this test panel all along, since this was the first time I used West systems resin and micro balloons, so it has been very useful. You may recall that I used micro balloons on one half of the panel and did not use them on the other side, so I could see the difference in sanding and finish. The side of the test panel with micro balloons was easier to sand and otherwise has been the same with respect to primer and paint, so I will use the micro balloons with the West System resin in future builds. I am also using KlassKote paint for the first time, so lots of reasons to have something to experiment with.

Cheers,

-Ed B.

Brad330l 08-27-2012 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Brad build that bloody P51~~~ :D

no comments on P47s either thank you very much ! [8D]
Pete,,,,:):):)

Ed B., good job all round mate. I had to cut my own 'chart tape' as it was not available in the size I needed it and it ended up a bit thicker than 1/64th I can tell you. It worked out just fine though.
Tail wheel and test piece look along the lines I went too. I am gearing up to get mine back in the air. (just have to put prop and spinner back on) and I cant wait. It has been too long between sorties. Must get ready for the big Spitty fly-in with the brothers.

Keep up the good work.

Brad

Flyfast1 09-09-2012 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am almost done with the detail on the bottom of the wing. Over 1000 rivets and some aluminum tape for panels. Here are three pictures. Next I will add some detail to the wheel wells.

-Ed B.

glazier808 09-10-2012 05:20 AM

That looks great! Really brings it to life!

Casey

Flyfast1 09-22-2012 07:15 PM

Hi Gents, I hope everyone is well.

I have some color questions that perhaps someone could help with:

1. For inside the cockpit, is Model Master "RAF Interior Green" the correct color? Here is a link to an acrylic version from Tower Hobbies>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHK48&P=7 They also sell an enamel paint in the same color.

2. What is the correct color for inside the flap wells? I'd like to use a different color than the bottom to provide some contrast. Were the flap wells ever painted with RAF interior green? I think that would look good, but I don't want to do something that is totally wrong.

Cheers,

-Ed B.

Chad Veich 09-22-2012 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

1. For inside the cockpit, is Model Master ''RAF Interior Green'' the correct color? Here is a link to an acrylic version from Tower Hobbies>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHK48&P=7 They also sell an enamel paint in the same color.

2. What is the correct color for inside the flap wells? I'd like to use a different color than the bottom to provide some contrast. Were the flap wells ever painted with RAF interior green? I think that would look good, but I don't want to do something that is totally wrong.

Cheers,

-Ed B.
The Model Master color looks pretty good to my eye. Regarding the flaps I'm not certain what was standard on later production Spitfires but early Marks can be found with Interior Green, silver, or just clear laquer over the bare aluminum.

Brad330l 09-25-2012 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

1. For inside the cockpit, is Model Master ''RAF Interior Green'' the correct color? Here is a link to an acrylic version from Tower Hobbies>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHK48&P=7 They also sell an enamel paint in the same color.

Cheers,

-Ed B.
The Model Master color looks pretty good to my eye. Regarding the flaps I'm not certain what was standard on later production Spitfires but early Marks can be found with Interior Green, silver, or just clear laquer over the bare aluminum.
I would paint them whatever colour you want and say "Prove me wrong!":D
As of now with my Spitty I have a new ignition battery in place and all wired up. I checked the spark and it is a happening thing. I am pretty sure the NiMH 6v battery I had before was the cause of my last engine failure. Cheap, crap cells that just would not hold their charge.
So I have my prop on as well and now just have to fit and align the spinner for flying this Sunday. Time to get the Spitfire dialled in and get some flights on it for the great 'Spitfire Fly-In' with the Brotherhood.
Oh, I must also rebalance it and sort the canopy so I don't have to tape it on for each flight.

Cheers,

Brad

Brad330l 09-30-2012 01:57 AM

Flight 12.[8D]
Well guys, after having a real time of it I eventually have the big 'Dozen' up.
After working on the Spitty and installing the new ignition battery and testing it all OK I discovered that my choke servo had given up the ghost (failed/died) so I had to remove the servo/tank tray to replace that and then off to the back yard to start it up.
What??? still no go.[:@] Remember that I tested the new ignition battery with having spark at the plug?? Well, no spark this time.[:'(] Pulled it apart and back to the shed and I am getting an intermittent fault. After checking the switch and pulling and prodding I finally find a dry and very loose solder joint for the new battery I installed. Oh man!:eek: at least I found it.
So down to the field today and after three flicks the big 3W fired and after two more flicks with choke off it was just ticking over perfectly. It ran up great and every thing looked good with another range check so off I go. It was very wind with gusts but no big deal it climbed out strongly with gear coming up and away it went. Things were going great for about seven minutes with big passes and some aeros but then I noticed that the engine seemed to be running lean (like late in the flight of a lean methanol burner). Half throttle was ok but advancing to full made no difference and it was 'burbling' a bit and not happy. It was still making power but it was time to come home so I throttled back a bit more to gear down speed and put em' down. The wind was strong enough that I did not need flaps so they stayed up. A decent landing in the conditions and there was flight twelve.
One of the guys there noticed that the head of the engine was still very warm after it had sat for a good few minutes so we both said it was lean. After about ten more minutes we started it up again after richening the top end but could not get good power. Nothing like the initial start and warm up run before the flight. Even tweeking while running did not improve things. So, not really sure what is going on. I'll need to pull the engine and check everything again including tank etc. Such a spin that it ran up really well at the settings the first time and then after it had cool down for a while after the run it could not do it again. The fuel is a couple of months old but this does not explain things.
The big plus for the day was another flight added to the log and back home in one piece. And man it looked so good on some of those passes. Initially the engine was running the best it ever has and if it always ran like that I would be very happy.
I'll check everything and report back.

Cheers,

Brad

nudger 09-30-2012 02:12 AM

Hi Brad
it's areal pain when your engines don't perform like they should.You spend most your time tinkering with them when you should be flying.I know,I've spent over a year to try and stop my saito fg 30 from quitting in the air ,as yet with no look[&o]

Keep battling on Nudge

Brad330l 09-30-2012 04:15 AM

Cheers mate. Yes I am starting to think I might have to 'relieve' the lower fire wall a bit to get better air exit from the cowl.
It ran so sweet when I was down south in the cool air and I know now the engine failure on the last flight was the ignition battery dying but now back home and up north with the substantially warmer air temperatures I think a really need that extra air through the head fins.

I love Spitfires so much it is not a problem. I'll just keep plugging away. I want to do at least three flights for the Brotherhood fly-in in November. That would be a good day, three flights.

Cheers,

Brad

Flyfast1 09-30-2012 08:46 PM

Hi Brad,

Sorry you are having trouble with your engine. That can be frustrating. Have you considered installing a temperature sensor, for example the Venom>http://first25q.goshopper.net/i/8961...emp-sensor.htm

It is inexpensive and might help you determine whether the engine is running hot.

Good luck!

-Ed B.

Flyfast1 09-30-2012 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made some progress on my Spitfire. I added rivets and access panels to the top of the wing. I've been using the drawings that came with the kit, along with drawings and photos from a few other books as guides. I think it's starting to come around. Here are some photos.

Cheers,

-Ed B.

Flyfast1 09-30-2012 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the tools that I used to make the rivets. I am using a Weller 40W soldering iron, with the tip removed. I made an adaptor, which is shown just below the soldering iron. I also made four "bits" that fit into the adaptor. The first bit is 1/8", the second is for creating a cross hatch in a 1/8" circle made by the first bit to create a screw. The third and fourth bits are 3/32" and 1/16". I had to experiment to get the right lengths for the tubing. The longer the tubing the lower the temperature.

-Ed B.

P4Patti 09-30-2012 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Brad, I saw this and thought of you - being the Spitfire tragic we know you are http://www.cafepress.com/johnmollisonart.4874689

cheers
Patti

Brad330l 10-01-2012 12:18 AM

Good work Ed, the wing look fantastic. After a light sand and some paint those rivets are going to be spot on. Your tooling is a bit tidier than mine looked but hey, similar result. That temp probe looks cool but I do have an infra red temp gun in my possession I just need to remember to take to the field. I have used it before while running the engine in and temps were fine.
Thanks Pitti (for thinking of me:)) I might just have to go and order one of those shirts. I have just re-read your thread on you P47 and you guys still amaze me. Have you thought of doing workshops for us unlearned people? You could advertise world wide and have modellers knocking at your door.

Time you went fishing with that Saito Nudge. A whole year??

I am trying to summon up the strength to go work on my Spitfire. I am still a bit sad about events so might go shovel some stones instead.[X(]

Cheers,

Brad

Brad330l 10-01-2012 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul my flying mate took a couple of pictures, just to prove we were there.:D

Cheers,

Brad

glazier808 10-02-2012 05:26 AM

WTG Brad, did you get the spinner sorted out?

Casey

BobH 10-02-2012 06:50 AM

Something I made to help with the riveting. I burned mine it as well. I made a template out of very thing ply, 1 inch wide or so, with the holes (to accept the brass birning part) evenly spaced and about 4 inches long. The purpose is to lay the thin ply along the intended rivet line. Hold in place with a bit of masking tape and start applying the rivets. Keeps them straight and evenly spaced. Once at the end lift the ply and move to the next course of rivets.

*Of course when you make the ply template you'll figure out your rivet size and spacing first, befor drilling the holes in it.*

Brad330l 10-02-2012 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

WTG Brad, did you get the spinner sorted out?

Casey
Yes mate, the spinner you see here is the static one converted to flying.
I must get some nylon washers for it though as the steel ones bite into the glass a bit.
Every time I put the spinner on I dial it in with a dial indicator to with-in .25mm. Runs smooth as.

Cheers,

Brad

cavery 10-04-2012 05:21 AM

Hi guys

I'm new to the Yellow Spit game. First off I want to thank everyone who has posted here with information on thier builds. The pictures and experiences here have been very informative and inspirational. I am relatively new to building game. I have been in the hobby for about 3 years. Started out with ARFS, and currently buiding my first two kits (Top Flite Sea Fury & Spitfire), and the yellow Spitfire will be my first foray into a larger scale fiberglass kit. As soon as I complete the Top Flite kits, the Yellow spit is next on the list. My goal is to have them ready for next season.

I actually have two kits. One is a Century Jets Fuselage http://centuryjet.com/product_info.p...c72cacef46398f with a Yellow wing. The Century jets kit is the same Scale as the Yellow kit but it was designed as a MK 22-24 bubbletop. I will be converting it to a bubbletop MK XIV using the Yellow wing and custom built Rudder and Chads lightened Horizontal Stab.

The other kit is an older used Yellow kit that was already started by the previous owner (wing already built). As of now I plan on powering one with a new Saito 220 Black Knight, and the other with a 50 - 55cc gasser. The used kit I bought also came with a 45CC Supertigre g4500 nitro, which has plenty of power, from what I've read, but is a very VERY thirsty engine, so I haven't decided if I will actually give it a try or not. Originally I was going to convert it to diesel using a conversion kit from Davis Diesel Performance http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php. Unfortunately, he no longer makes the conversion for this engine, I'm going to see if I can track one down, used maybe, I think it would be a fun project.

Well there's the background and an introduction. Sorry, for drawing it out :)

Once I begin, I do plan on posting my progress here. I will be starting with the Balsa tailfeathers for both planes.

I do have a few preliminary questions for those of you who already have experience.

1. The wing that I have that has been completed weighs about 10 lbs glassed, primed, and with the Yellow landing gear installed. Is that normal for the weight, or is that on the heavy side? I'm hoping the guy built it right. I have no idea if he did the wing strengthening mods and I haven't decided if I will "investigate" to see if he did.

2. The other wing is brand new, so I will be building that one myself. My question is, how do you guys feel about using waterbased poly and 3/4 oz cloth to glass the wing of a plane this size. I will be adding the wing strengthening mods, and I am hoping that will add the strenght I need, so that the WBPU methid will be good enough to give me a good surface for finishing. Otherwise, I thought about just using an epoxy based method at the joins for strength, and WBPU everywhere else.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

BobH 10-04-2012 05:59 AM

Any special reason for using the water based finish? Finishing resin is formulated specifically for its intended purpose. The minwax finish while a finish. is not. It's been used successfully of course but if strengh is the main concern epoxy is the choice.

cavery 10-04-2012 06:20 AM

I actually live in a relatively small condo and my dining room is my workshop ( I have a very understanding wife ), so easy to cleanup non toxic solutions are always preferred. However, not at the cost of strength if it's needed. If the concensus is that the waterbased finish is not strong enough, I will go the traditional route.

Duplicator41 10-04-2012 07:16 AM

<span style="font-size: small">Consider using epoxy resin, Zap, West, and you will have strength with no bad smell in your home.</span>