RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7644110-complete-yellow-aircraft-spitfire-thread.html)

Brad330l 06-21-2008 07:46 AM

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Well Guys,
I think it is high time the Y/A Spitfire had a new thread dedicated to it where every one who is interested in this wonderful model can find lots of great information,,,, contributed by YOU.
Many of you I'm sure have had dealings with the Spitty so post your advise, displeasures, pictures and wants and needs right here and hopefully wil can stir up some interest and get some more of these things in the air.
I have no affiliation with Y/A at all. I just love the model and think it is 'undermodeled' and want to see more of them.
I will be using this thread as my build thread for a bubble canopy conversion of the MK XIV that I have committed to purchase from Marty at http://www.jetfx.net/. (Just waiting on final quote) I have already purchased the conversion kit and undercarrage from Leo at http://www.spychallaaircraft.com/ and will have delivery in the near future.
I will be modelling a 451 or 453 squadron RAAF MKXIV Spitty used late in the war.
I have started a couple of threads asking questions about the preferred equipment to use and will link them here so just continue on and let us know what you think. Also a couple from other members.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7617758/tm.htm about the engine and undercarrage
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7460185/tm.htm about obtaining a model here in OZ
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7606756/tm.htm about the cockpit
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7607602/tm.htm about the wing
I wil be asking lots of questions, posting as I build and wanting to know all about the good gear to use.
Links, pictures, flight reports, hints and tips. Post them here.

Cheers,

Brad (expectant Spitfire Dad)



Brad330l 06-21-2008 06:49 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here are the two schemes I will be deciding from for my Spitfire.

RAAF squadrons 451 and 453 respectivly.


Check6 06-21-2008 07:15 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Hey Brad,
I just picked up a War Weary Yellow Spit that had an enemic G 38 in it. I just transplanted a G 62 in it. I will fly it the way it stands for now and thinking of going with Leo's, bubble conversion over the winter. Looking forward to your build.
Thanks,
Fred Menna Check6

MarkShapiro 06-21-2008 09:44 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. 3w-70 for power and functional scale exhaust. Flies great and floats to landing. Mark.

Brad330l 06-22-2008 12:17 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Check6

Hey Brad,
I just picked up a War Weary Yellow Spit that had an enemic G 38 in it. I just transplanted a G 62 in it. I will fly it the way it stands for now and thinking of going with Leo's, bubble conversion over the winter. Looking forward to your build.
Thanks,
Fred Menna Check6
Good on you Fred, what a great pick up.
It is fun rebuilding old models as well,, just like restoring an old warbird.
Did you fly it with the G38 in it? I am wondering how it went as that is only about 2.5 HP. I am looking at using a ZDZ 40 with about 4.8 HP but most are using 50cc's and bigger.

And to Mark, great looking Spit Mate. I'm sure I have seen this models pictures some where before.
I like it. No doubt you have some good vertical with the 70cc.

Brad

OldScaleGuy 06-22-2008 07:04 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShapiro

Here's mine. 3w-70 for power and functional scale exhaust. Flies great and floats to landing. Mark.
Very Nice Indeed! A weathered warbird with some attractive color! A friend of mine has a YA Spit and flies it on a Moki 1.8. It is not overpowered my any means but it does fly well and mostly concealed within the cowl.

Brad330l 06-25-2008 05:32 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
I have just received my conversion kit from Spychalla Aircraft along with the undercarrage and cockpit sets from Leo.
Man,, fast postage. It would have only taken a week from payment and that is all the way to Western Australia!!!.
Every thing looks real nice. Thanks Leo.

Now I just need my Spitfire kit. Still waiting on a final postage total.

Brad

willey 06-25-2008 08:09 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Looking forward to this one Brad, this has been on the want list for quite a while now, post lots of photos!!:D:D

Edwin 06-25-2008 12:20 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Subscribed! Good idea. I'm accumilating parts for mine. Just need mostly servos and glass cloth. Have everything else or will make it.
Edwin

Chad Veich 06-25-2008 02:47 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
I have plans for a built up stab if anyone is looking to get rid of the heavier than necessary stock unit.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23...TSTAB_REDU.jpg

Edwin 06-25-2008 02:58 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Chad, Thats a time saver. What format are they?
Edwin

willey 06-25-2008 02:59 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Whoa! Chad that's very nice. I'll hit you up when the day comes for sure!;)

is there that much weight difference?

Chad Veich 06-25-2008 05:08 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Chad, Thats a time saver. What format are they?
Edwin
I can provide pretty much whatever you need, PDF, TIFF, JPG, DWG, DXF, etc.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: willey

Whoa! Chad that's very nice. I'll hit you up when the day comes for sure!;)

is there that much weight difference?
Most of the weight of the stab supplied in the Yellow kit is in the elevators with their heavy plywood cores. It is not a huge job to lighten up the kit supplied parts but my drawing provides a more scale outline as well as providing opportunity to easily add a scale gapless hinge which is not so easy on the fiberglass one in the kit. Last but not least the fiberglass stab in my Yellow Spitfire kit was very wavy and I simply did not like the way it looked.

Brad330l 06-25-2008 05:16 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I have plans for a built up stab if anyone is looking to get rid of the heavier than necessary stock unit.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23...TSTAB_REDU.jpg
Awesome Chad,
I had heard of someone having such plans and was going to ask them to come forward.

Happy you guys like the idea of the thread.

Brad

Edwin 06-25-2008 08:27 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
DXF works for me.
Edwin

lbscottsdale 06-25-2008 08:54 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Mark
Your Spit really looks great! Mine is still "a work in progress" and I am trying to decide on an engine! Specifically one I can have "working exhausts". I am really interested on the scheme you came up with to do that. Any info would be really appreciated.

Len Brown

Shaun Evans 06-26-2008 01:20 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

I have just received my conversion kit from Spychalla Aircraft along with the undercarrage and cockpit sets from Leo.
Man,, fast postage. It would have only taken a week from payment and that is all the way to Western Australia!!!.
Every thing looks real nice. Thanks Leo.

Now I just need my Spitfire kit. Still waiting on a final postage total.

Brad

Hi,

What's the problem with your shipping quote? If it gives you an idea, I just sent a Texan kit to Queensland, and the shipping was $505 (door to airport). Ouch.

Brad330l 06-26-2008 03:20 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft


Quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

I have just received my conversion kit from Spychalla Aircraft along with the undercarrage and cockpit sets from Leo.
Man,, fast postage. It would have only taken a week from payment and that is all the way to Western Australia!!!.
Every thing looks real nice. Thanks Leo.

Now I just need my Spitfire kit. Still waiting on a final postage total.

Brad

Hi,

What's the problem with your shipping quote? If it gives you an idea, I just sent a Texan kit to Queensland, and the shipping was $505 (door to airport). Ouch.
As of right now I have paid for my kit after getting the postage quote (bit of a computer problem only) and it is $480AU to Perth and then i have to get it up here to Port Hedland which is another 1800k's up the track.
Time to get excited.

Brad

Brad330l 06-26-2008 04:45 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: lbscottsdale

Mark
Your Spit really looks great! Mine is still "a work in progress" and I am trying to decide on an engine! Specifically one I can have "working exhausts". I am really interested on the scheme you came up with to do that. Any info would be really appreciated.

Len Brown
Yes Mark, how about some pictures of the engine install and exhausts.
Did you use a prop shaft extension?

Brad

JL1 06-26-2008 05:30 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
Chad, how do I go about obtaining a set of the stab plans? jpeg is fine if it is a simple email deal

Brad330l 06-26-2008 08:16 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JL1

Chad, how do I go about obtaining a set of the stab plans? jpeg is fine if it is a simple email deal
Chad, I'm with JL1 with that request.
Would you just print it out at 100%?
Let us know what you require.

Brad

Brad330l 06-26-2008 08:22 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Subscribed! Good idea. I'm accumilating parts for mine. Just need mostly servos and glass cloth. Have everything else or will make it.
Edwin
What servos you going to use Edwin? I was looking at the 8.3kg torque JR ES579. They read pretty good and seem quite reasonably priced.
Not too fast but hey we're not doing 3D.

Brad

Chad Veich 06-26-2008 10:21 AM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JL1

Chad, how do I go about obtaining a set of the stab plans? jpeg is fine if it is a simple email deal
Just drop me an email at the addy below and I will reply with the drawings attached. They will be at full scale but, just in case their are printing issues, a scale is provided on the drawing to check for accuracy. Be sure to let me know what format you prefer.

Chad
cvnkv@aol.com

Edwin 06-26-2008 02:46 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
I'm looking at those HD (I think thats the name) from Chief.
Edwin

MarkShapiro 06-26-2008 05:01 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Len and Brad. I posted a few pics below. The 3W-70 fit rather well into the nose with a little persuasion. The firewall former had to be released from it original placement in the fuse and set back about an inch or so in order to obtain the correct protusion of the driveshaft from the fusealge tip opening. Then I created a customized firewall to accomodate the engine. The muffler also worked out very nicely. I wish I could take full credit for it, but I "borrowed" the idea from Evan Quiros who did the same thing in his YA Spitfire. You can see the muffler placement in the pics, too. I also attached isolated pics of themuffler after I fabricated it.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:46 AM.