RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7818487-cmp-bf109f-building-thread.html)

kahloq 12-04-2009 10:42 PM

RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Rhom air?.

SCALECRAFT 12-05-2009 12:29 AM

I thought I had seen the link on the struts in the winter season when the wheel pants were removed.

I'll check the 109lair.

Steve

paladin 12-05-2009 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the sissors are hidden by th wheel. this is for the g but out of time. total doc size is 22meg so i can't post it for the enjoyment of all.

Joe

SCALECRAFT 12-05-2009 12:43 AM

According to the book " Messerschmitt BF 109 F,G,& K Series: An Illustrated Study by Jochen Prien and Peter Rodeike",a winter pic without the pants shows the links are there, small but there.

The links are hidden by the tire and wheel pants.

Steve

SCALECRAFT 12-05-2009 12:45 AM

paladin, I think you win that one with that diagram.

Steve

LDM 12-05-2009 08:44 AM

wow great info Joe, had me fooled , never viewed links on all the models I searched on google

paladin 12-12-2009 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for the angle of the struts and the best I’ve been able to get is this far is the attachment below. It tells me that a scale wheel base will be 15inches. I need to see how this looks on the model next. i have the 109F doc but it is to large for here so i attached the g.

Joe

LDM 12-12-2009 05:01 PM

Joe correct me if I am wrong , with forward strake , that would mean the landing gear mounting rails would need to be on an angle so the gear would lean forward when extended and turn slightly aft when retracted to stay flat once in the wing ?
I had the same set up with my seafury , but not as much of a forward angle

paladin 12-12-2009 08:00 PM

yup, right now my forward rail is .200in below the aft rail. it does the same thing as adding the .250 spacer between the rail and Aft LG ear. if I wanted to move the strut further into the wing i move both rails into the wing =ly. this being an ARF I don’t have plans so I can’t be exact so I’ll live with what I get cause it won’t be perfect.

Joe

paladin 12-16-2009 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Robart 660DB Gear Door Mounting Bracket 7/16" Strut (GDMB) tapped a second hole for mounting the Landing Gear Fairings. Cut the OLEO to length, slip the GDMB on the strut, press the bushing into place and taping them.

I’m not sure the Rhom Airs will hold up under the wt. of this plane but I seam to have them all over the work shop, so I’ll give it a try. I’ve used these with OLEO’s on planes up to 15#. But they make the setup of the angle of the strut pretty easy.

Joe

SCALECRAFT 12-17-2009 10:10 AM

paladin

I have spring airs in mine. They work. My model is at 12lbs. It has a 108 in it.

My next one is getting a major bash, it will have CJet retracts once I finish the home expansion. 99% done though.

Steve

paladin 12-17-2009 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks Steve,

I weighed all the parts months ago, and estimate those parts I did not weight, and came up with 17#. I know it will come down as the real parts are added. I have not balanced it yet which may go against me but right now I’m hoping for 16#. That should be ok with rhom’s.

The rhom’s will make getting the angle right easy. Just bend the 3/16 joiner between the retract unit and OLEO’s. it looks like 1.25in over the length of the strut.

Joe

dornhoffer 12-19-2009 02:47 PM

Hey Paladin,
Your mods looks good and I think the Rhom Airs are strong enough. The only thing you might watch for is that they don't have a positive lock up like some of the newer gear. I have some on my Platt FW190 that comes in at around 12lbs. I have robart struts as you have done. They work great but if the gear doors don't fit snuggly against the leading edge, they tend to pull down in the slip stream and create drag as the gear are pulled down at high speed. I ended up flying without the gear doors because of this. Let us know how they work out.
Best, John

paladin 12-20-2009 06:17 PM

John, because they don’t lock in the retracted position they are much easier to set up. Because I don’t have to reach the up lock, it stops where ever it hits a solid stop. While rhoms not locking up causes them to sag (allow the wheels to partially deploy) under high G’s if over loaded. Like at the bottom of a loop. I have 5 other planes with rhoms the worst of which is my Platt Focke Wulf 190 D-9 with a 9in strut weighting 1oz, a wheel weighting 4.5oz, and a strut cover that weights .75ox for a total moment of 48.4oz-in. with a starting tank pressure of 80 psi I can get two retractions before the third one exhibits the problem you are talking about. So the me109 has an almost 7 in strut weighting 1.5oz, wheel weighting 4oz, and a cover weighting .75oz for a moment of 36 oz-in. so I think I’m ok with 80 psi on the tank

Joe

paladin 01-01-2010 03:45 PM

guy's i finally joined the wings and even with the lowering of the front LG mount the landing gear axile is nowhere close to the LE. have any of you flown off grass? and how mutch of a shim did you use?

Joe

paladin 01-14-2010 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I plugged the oversized dowel holes, figuring that the plastic ones would not hold up. Then used ¼ in dowels also can see that I glassed the center section. I did not take pic’s of the belly pan but it hid it all. the CG cam out at the aft recommended point, do you guys thing that is to far aft? should i move it forward for the first flights?

Joe

Hot Rod Todd 01-14-2010 08:27 AM

Is your fuel tank mounted behind the stock position? The CG for most planes is based on some fuel in the tank, if you mount the tank on or near the CG you often have to move the CG forward to get the same effective balance point. In any case, add lead as needed to get the CG up to the recommended position. With an OS 1.60 on the front of mine I had to add tail weight. You must have a light engine. I used the stock plastic inserts for the wing dowels, they worked fine and seem to be holding up well.

paladin 01-14-2010 03:11 PM

thanks tod!
I'm thinking of moving it forward about 1/4 in
where is your CG?

Joe

Hot Rod Todd 01-14-2010 03:35 PM

I don't remember. I'm sure you could search back about 50 pages or so on this forum and find it. I believe it's right on the recommendation, rare for a CmP aircraft. In most cases they provide a CG that is way too far back.

paladin 01-14-2010 06:06 PM

Yup, before i fly i will look back to see what you guys that flew already got, but that wont be for a few months here in ny.

you can see the cg i marked in the picture with the fuel tank. i move the fuel tank back because it helps with the ground handling not having all that fuel forward of the wheels

Joe

kahloq 01-15-2010 08:03 PM

CG = 112mm for good stable flying.

BTW, the plastic dowl ring things hold up fine as long as you use CA glue on the 3 little screws.

paladin 01-15-2010 09:03 PM

Thanks Kahlog

Joe

vmibert 02-14-2010 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ty Brown has created a wonderful product (his spinner for the Nitro Planes Bf-109) and he put together some great tutorial videos that really helped!

Below are two photos of my Nitro Planes Bf-109 with Ty's spinner on it. The only issue I had with his spinner was that his backplate doesn't mount flush with my motor's hub, I'm having a friend make me a small, round plate to serve as a "washer" between the hub and the spinner plate. Other than that, and it looks perfect! After I painted my spinner, I poured on a coating of EnviroTex Lite Pour-On High Gloss Finish and after it cured, I got rid of the gloss by spraying it with a couple of coats of clear Dull Coat spray paint.

I'm still trying to tune my OS Surpass 200 2 cubic inch four-stroke engine. I can't wait to fly this!

Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Bert

21onen 02-14-2010 12:44 PM

I received my spinners last week. Very impressed. My plans are to use an E-flight 160 motor with the mounting bracket on the front . As a result the undercut in the spinner helps hide this bracket. Going through a drilling tapping process and using bevelled aircraft screws to mount the spinner to the base plate. Very nicely made spinners. Thanks Ty
Tero T in Toronto

Bill Jennings 02-14-2010 02:12 PM

G'Day
Got my spinner from Ty a couple of days ago also very imptessed. Thanks Ty.

Regards.
Bill