RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7902528-charlie-kelloggs-tbm-avenger-build.html)

lkahn4 05-11-2012 11:18 AM

RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Peter
You are definetly my IDOL, very talented, anything else you do like Brain Surgery?
Beautiful workmanship, I think it's a tad too big for my T-28

Larry

lkahn4 05-18-2012 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gang,
Here's the latest on our build. We have the fuse painted and the 1st color shot on the cowl and the wings, next week 2nd color for the cowl and wings and should be setting up all the controll surfaces in 3 weeks.

butlern 05-18-2012 06:31 PM

Looks great, Larry!

By the way.... I'm in Oklahoma hanging out with Boyd at the Warbirds Over Oklahoma event this weekend! Hopefully I get to hear all about the T-28!

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards,

Noah

lkahn4 05-19-2012 02:18 AM

Noah,
Thanks. Say hi to Boyd for me, another great guy I have met on this site, enjoy the flying

Larry

redtail 05-19-2012 03:17 AM

Larry, of course, Noah is right of course. Your painting is really coming alive. That yellow band really sets the dual blue colors out. You guys give me something to shoot for - great looking Avengers. Noah, pay attention to those air raid type sirens, they are not announcing incoming russian aircraft. Stay well everyone. Chic

butlern 05-19-2012 04:20 AM

Ahhhh, Oklahoma weather, yes.

Well, no storms, but at 6 am this morning the winds were already blowing 20 mph, so we'll see how much flying happens today (projected to be 30-40 all day long).

At least it's sunny and there's a good group of guys to hangout with today!

Off to to get ice in the cooler and head to the field!

Noah

maser 05-21-2012 04:57 AM

Noah came down to Oklahoma City to bring his airplanes so the movers would not have to move them, and possibly damage them. He also participated in our Warbirds Over Oklahoma event and won Best of Show with his Avenger. I can personally tell you that the pictures in this thread do not do the model justice. Noah has built a truly detailed model that looks awsome in person. The rivet detail is amazing.

He will be a great freind to have here in the OKC area plus being able to exchange building ideas.

Boyd.

redtail 05-21-2012 05:12 AM

Boyd, you guys in OK, just hit the lottery capturing Noah. Smile. Chic

maser 05-21-2012 01:26 PM

Chic,

There are not that many of us here in the OKC area that are into scale, yet alone giant scale. It will be nice to have someone else with like interests to "hang". Is that how the kids say it?

Boyd.</p>

Firebar 05-21-2012 02:16 PM

Larry, the Avenger paint job is looking good. I am anxious to see her finished up. Maybe you will have her in time for Warbirds Over Delaware.

I am planning to take my Avenger to the Imlaystown NJ giant scale gathering this weekend. I had it out this past weekend for some check flights and all went well.

Noah, Really 20 mph plus? I get nervous when the winds are over 10 mph.

Charlie

lkahn4 05-21-2012 02:16 PM

Chic,
I have to agree with you, Noahs building skills will certainly give Boyd a run for his money and trust me Boyd is NO slouch in the build department..
Noah glad you found a home and no doubt a great build buddy..
As for wind, we had 20+ mph crosswinds at the park off the water yesterday, finally attempted to land in winds over 15, SUCESS, 2 great landings and no damage even when the wind decided to flip the plane over at the end of the run out...

Boyd check the Trojan site I have a really dumb question I'm posting there

Larry

WARBIRDRCER 05-21-2012 02:40 PM

It was very nice to meet a fellow RCU builder/flyer during Warbirds Over Oklahoma. As Boyd said, photos do not show the extreme detail of this model, and rest assured the performance of the MOKI 150 on the plane is just as impressive. Keep in mind; not only was the plane well deserving, so was the flight that qualified it for the award. During this event an aircraft must fly to qualify for an award, and this flight was taken in 25-35/gusting 37-40 MPH winds.

Great job Noah!

See the winning flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rv9...ature=youtu.be

Steve Keesey
Flight Leader
Warbirds Over Oklahoma

lkahn4 05-21-2012 04:15 PM

Charlie,
Thanks for the nice words. I'm not sure we'll be close, still have 3 more Wednesday's of paint and still have to set all the servo throws etc. It would be nice if the bosses just let us have hobby Wednesday starting at noon but alas that ain't happening LOL
Hope to get the next to colors on the cowl and the bottom of the wings done on Wednesday and maybe have time to start working on the servos. Pitot tube and tail hook still need to be fabricated.

butlern 05-21-2012 05:02 PM

Great time this weekend, Boyd and Steve! Would have been a little better if the weather would have fully cooperated, but it was still fun to hang out, and the flying that we did get in was awesome!

Boyd, you're much too generous with your mention of me and the Avenger...

Now many of you guys already know that Boyd (Maser) is a skilled builder, evidenced by his extraordinary work displayed in the T-28 thread, but I bet that most of you guys here at RCU DONT know about Boyd is that he is a hell-of-a-stick! He's got some serious skills at the sticks, and he masterfully piloted his beautiful Ziroli Corsair in weather that was poor at best! So, good job to you, too, Boyd! By the way, Boyd, you really missed a beautiful evening at the Sooner Squardron flying site... nice views from up there, too!

Those videos don't do justice to Bill's corsair and Jim's American Eagle P-51!

Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE for the warm and welcome hospitality over the past three days. Special thanks to you, Steve, for helping me sort out the storage of my models. Forever indebted!

Now, more than ever, I'm really looking forward to getting settled down there and joining up with both the MVAA and the Sooner Squardron.

Noah

lkahn4 05-21-2012 05:17 PM

Noah
Beautiful work on the sticks, great flight, I'm sure the video doesn't do the model or the flying justice. As for Boyd, if his prowess on the sticks is half as good as his building skills he must be awesome.
Glad you've found 2 new homes, they are extremely lucky to get you as a member, your knowledge of the hobby and building skills will be a great addition to any club.
Hope the wind dies down

Larry

WARBIRDRCER 05-21-2012 06:13 PM

You are welcome Noah,

I tried earlier to post the photo of Noah receiving his Best of Show award, but it did not load, so I am trying again. The other photo is Bill Holland with his CARF F4U powered by a MOKI 250, Noah with the Avenger powered by a MOKI 150 and his F7F in the background powered by 2 DLE-111's, and Jim Ellis with his Okie Kidd American Eagle P-51 powered by a Brison 5.8 (96cc) powerplant.

WARBIRDRCER 05-21-2012 06:34 PM

butlern 05-22-2012 03:25 AM

Thanks again, Steve, and the rest of the MVAA crew!

Seriously, it was too bad about the weather... I know there's a very large number of guys who didn't travel to Yukon or just didn't come out and fly due to the weather.

I sincerely apperciate the recognition, though!

Looking forward to the events scheduled later this fall!

Noah

samparfitt 05-22-2012 03:48 AM

Thanks for posting the great video of a lot of impressive planes.

I saw another video posted, showing some of your clubs other good looking planes (not sure if this is the same club but at least the same state!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oxrNtmti-Jo

I like the videos as they show the take offs and landings.

I'll see you guys at Owatonna and Fond du lac.

WARBIRDRCER 05-22-2012 04:01 AM

Noah,

Remember Ronny from Team Realm with the J-3 Cub (L-4 want-to-be)? Well I gave him the first ever Warbirds Over Oklahoma Best Entertainment award for braving the winds over the weekend. It was funny to see him keep the plane pointed down the centerline of the runway while a Team Realm member ran down the runway to secure the plane before the winds picked up the plane and tossed it back like a leaf, which by the way happened once without causing damage.

I am also glad Jim Ellis and Stan invited us up to Guthrie to fly with them. Wish now I would have brought my P-40, but was worn slap out from the weekend, but really enjoyed watching you, Bill, and Jim fly.

WARBIRDRCER 05-22-2012 03:55 PM

Here is a pic of the certificate and award together. Noah is on the right.

Also the Best of Show award is sponsored by Terry Farmer, owner of Wylie Warbirds of Wylie, TX. www.wyliewarbirds.com

maser 05-25-2012 03:44 AM

Larry,

Love the color scheme. Will you have it ready for this flying season?

Boyd.

butlern 05-26-2012 12:31 PM

Hey, just finally had a chance to look at the June 2012 edition of Model Aviation (AMA magazine)... on page 153 it looks like there is a Kellogg Avenger pictured... At least it looks to be the correct size. The gent's name is Pat Belisle, and from what I gather I believe he was attending a Coupeville, Washington event.

Anybody know this fellow, and is this another confirmed Kellogg Avenger?!?

Pat's Avenger looks pretty nice!

NB

redtail 05-27-2012 01:13 PM

Great award Noah, looks like you are enjoying and really taking to your new surroundings. With that smile on your face, you look like a mouse would if it was all alone in a cheese factory for the weekend. Congrats my friend. I too saw the Avenger photo, hummmmm. Well guys, I was able to meet Grover of the Commerative Air Force. He is also an Avenger builder on our thread, we found out that we did not live far apart. He told me of the "Redtail" P-51C Mustang that would be laying over here in the Washington, D.C. area. You know I had to go see that for sure. Meeting him was quite an honor. He even invited me to come be a part of the restoration of a full scale Avenger. Won't pass that up either. Grover, you are quite a gentlemen, it was my honor and it certainly was a wonderful visit with you. The Tuskegee Airmen P-51C along with the BT-13 are both part of a travelling "REDTAIL" show. The aircraft are flown and the rest is partly contained in an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, the P-51C is gorgeous. Server will not let me post pictures. Will try later. Chic

redtail 05-27-2012 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seriously guys, I'm not that fat. Smile, I'm not.