RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7902528-charlie-kelloggs-tbm-avenger-build.html)

lkahn4 07-19-2012 04:27 PM

RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

1 Attachment(s)
For my fellow Avenger buddies whose emails I didn't have here are some six of our fly in..last night we took care of the the inboard flap peoblem and started tidying up the wiring...we never realized just how many wires there were. More to follow

lkahn4 07-19-2012 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A different angle

lkahn4 07-19-2012 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and one more

butlern 07-20-2012 03:36 AM

Spectacular, Larry!

Congratulations.

Fire that engine and get some taxi tests in soon (and report back!)

NB

SBDdauntless 07-20-2012 11:19 AM

Great photos!

Bring her down to Warbirds Over PA in Quakertown PA!
The fun fly is July 28.
Go to http://www.buc-le.org/directs.html for directions.

Charlie and I will be there Saturday.

She looks showroom new!
Congratulations and Happy flying!

Fran

peter w h 07-23-2012 03:10 AM

Hey Larry,<div>
</div><div>Looks great, you should be very proud.</div><div>When will you start taxi tests and ultimately maiden?   </div><div>
</div><div>I guess Redtail and I better get our butts s in gear.</div>

lkahn4 07-23-2012 02:06 PM

Peter
Thanks for the compliment but it is NO where near your build quality. Though we are happy with the outcome I think we have a long way to go to get where we want to be.
On the other hand what we learned will hopefully put me in good stead for my T-28 Trojan and our next project that will be an E2C Hawkeye.
Work progresses on the repairs to the P-38 and hopefully will be airworthy again by mid August. Going to add a servo to each outboard flap since I had a feeling that the designers setup wasn't going to work.
I will post the full video from take off to crash as soon as my friend sends it to me.
Chic you need to post some pix, we haven't seen any in awhile :(

Larry

butlern 07-23-2012 03:37 PM

Larry,

Did you get her balanced? Let me know!

Noah

lkahn4 07-23-2012 04:03 PM

Hey Noah,
Balance party Wed. nite, you confirmed what we figured out from the plans. Will post the outcome Wed. or Thursday, I'm figuring at least 2 lbs to the nose

Thanks for following up

Larry

maser 07-27-2012 04:51 AM

Larry,

Good job on the Avenger. Pix's look good. Hope the maiden is successfull. Sorry to hear about the P-38. I just put my 10 year old Zioli Cosair into the ground. I made it in kit form again. Noah witnessed the last moments.

Boyd.

maser 07-27-2012 05:10 AM

Chic,

I found a source for the servo wire tubes.

Go to the Ziroli web site, go to Building Supplies &amp;Tools, scroll down to Wing Tubes and find "Cardboard tube 11/16 x 36 for servo wires.

Boyd.

cannonball200 07-27-2012 05:26 AM

Oh no!!!!!! Not the Corsair!!! What happened Boyd?

Eddie

WARBIRDRCER 07-27-2012 06:57 AM

"I just put my 10 year old Zioli Cosair into the ground. I made it in kit form again."

The post accident investigation and pilot interview showed one probable root cause was a head up and locked condition a lot of us have suffered [:@], while gravity was another contributing factor.:eek: Rule of "thumbs" here is to remember when the bank angle increases likewise does the stall speed.:D

Also I to like your Avenger. Great job!

lkahn4 07-27-2012 11:04 AM

Boyd,
Sorry to hear about the Corsair, it sucks when you totally rekit VS. turning it into a short of ARF
Chic we used aluminum tubing for the wire tubes, worked great and you can get it at your local hardware store :)

Larry

Firebar 07-27-2012 12:24 PM

Boyd,
Sorry to hear about losing your Corsair. When a older model goes in it is like losing an old friend. I lost my 16 year old Ziroli AT-6 to aileron hinges pulling out this spring and I lost my Great Planes Extra 300 Tuesday evening to "no power over trees".

On a brighter note.... I am loading the trailer tonight to go to Warbirds over PA. I am planning to fly both of my Skyraiders tomorrow and I would like to fly my Ziroli P-38 on Sunday. All I need to do is get someone to help me get it out of the basement.

Larry,
We are all waiting anxiously for news of the first flight. Just check, check, and double check all of the critical items.

Charlie

lkahn4 07-27-2012 02:11 PM

Charlie,
No Problem that's why we are taking so long for the first flight. No work on the plane this week or next week, the next time we have to finish tidying up the wiring and balance the beast. We won't even attempt it if we don't feel comfortable with it. We solved the rudder problem but we still need to work out the elevator foible.
If you get a chance I would love to see the pix of your P-38, gear is almost reinstalled, hope to get that and the rudder servos done tonight, field tomorrow with my Pitts.
Next thing to tackle is installing 2 add'l servos in the outer wing panels for the outboard flaps and fix the broken wing.
Good luck in PA tomorrow I'm sure everyone will be in awe of the raiders

Larry

maser 07-28-2012 04:34 PM

Cannonball,

It was a high speed stall. I thought at first I had raido problems. My first thought was to put in on the ground as soon as possible. Cut the engine, it went behind some trees and could not see it. I was attempting to putit down before itcame within contact withthe Interstatenext to our field. I'd rather have a demolisedairplaine than a lawsuite. Sometimes we have to make split second decisions based on our knowledge at the time. As it turns out it crashed within 200 yards of the interstate.

Boyd

cannonball200 07-28-2012 05:00 PM

I loved to see you fly that Corsair. I know you, as well as all of us will miss it. Now, we mourn. In a week, we need to hear about a new project......

See you at the field,
Eddie

butlern 07-28-2012 05:53 PM

Yes, it was horrifying to witness. It was a beautiful model, flown beautifully... until the dreaded high speed stall.

I think this event made many of us reevaluate how we fly big models in high temperatures!!! I know I'll be making gentler, more gradual turns when it's 100+ degrees!

Again, my condolences, Boyd.

maser 07-29-2012 02:50 PM

Noah,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Boyd.

lkahn4 07-29-2012 03:22 PM

Noah,
Sorry to see that your dad passed away, you have my sincerest sympathies.

Larry

butlern 07-29-2012 04:46 PM

Thank you, guys.

My dad's passing is sad, no question, but not sudden or tragic. He was very sick for a very, very long time.

Be back home to OKC soon.

Noah

redtail 07-30-2012 04:55 AM

Noah, my humble prayers are with you and your family. Chic

peter w h 07-30-2012 02:11 PM

Noah,  I am sad to hear about the passing of your father .<div>
<div><div>May your memories bring you comfort.</div></div></div><div>
</div><div>Peter </div>

butlern 08-11-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks again for your thoughts and kind words, each of you.

Back to the Avengers... it was much cooler here in OKC today, and the flying site was hopping. I got several great flights on the Avenger, and I also got to fly along side a beautiful Ziroli Corsair owned by fellow club member Scott. Boyd, it still makes me sick that we never got a chance to fly some formation with your Corsair and the Avenger.

Anyway, it was so nice today I started to get the fever for flying again. So, let's have some update from you guys!

Larry, what's the status?

Chic, are you still working on the bird dog?

Peter, how about your Avenger, and what ever became of the DVI maiden flight?!

I need updates, guys!

Noah