RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7902528-charlie-kelloggs-tbm-avenger-build.html)

Firebar 11-06-2012 02:07 PM

RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

We must all have the same mental defect. I have been looking at building a Connie and the C-119 for a long while. The problem with the Connie is the long wing. To build one that can use gas engines would have to have a wingspan of 18 feet.

I bought a few books on the C-119 and took a bunch of photos at Robins AFB museum. I thought about building the Palmer C-119 but no one has been able to complete one because the plans are so bad. I considered drawing drawing plans for one but the small engine nacelles and the long main gear struts made me choose to draw the Grumman S2F instead.

I spoke to Robart about making the S2F gears for me and after an encouraging phone conversation they decided that they didn't want to make a custom nose gear for it. Now I am back to square one.

Noah, Great work getting the scale event together so soon after arriving in OK. Soon you will probably be ready to start building a Skyraider.

Larry, I am glad you missed Sandy and hope that your family wasn't hit by it to bad. We lost power for a day and there are a lot of trees down in our area. I had both of my sump pumps fail during the storm and got three inches of water in the basement before I could get another pump on line. Things are pretty much back to normal now and I have started back working on my L-19.

We haven't had an update from Peter in a while.

Charlie

redtail 11-06-2012 02:34 PM

Hey guys, give me $100 and pay shipping and you can have the Palmer Kit. Glassing the DAWG's new wing panels this weekend, will paint in the late spring. Its back to the Avenger once I get the glassing complete. Chic

redtail 11-06-2012 02:35 PM

That's the Palmer C-119 Kit. Smile. I have Don Smith's Connie sitting in the corner. Chic

lkahn4 11-06-2012 03:15 PM

hi guys,
Charlie it is only natural that all of us on this thread would love the Connie (my favorite plane of all time) and the c-119. Had I known this in advance I would have taken a lot more shots of both.
The only thing you haven't metioned is trains which Chic, myself and Boyd from the Trojan thread.
If the storm isn't too bad here the next 2 days we will get the Avenger fuel tank replumbed and installed with the motor and be ready for engine start as soon as the park reopens. From what I understand our field (which abutts the water) got trashed though no one has been able to get into the park to check it.
Chic, if I can con the wife into a trip in the New Year (and get through the lock on her pocket book) maybe we can make a deal and have dinner and have the wives rip us and the amount of $$ we spend apart... could be really enjoyable.
Charlie, sorry to hear about the gear for the S-2, but I know if anyone can get it done you can.
Hoping to cut the LE's for the flaps and ailerons for the Trojan this week so I can get back to it since it looks like the winds will probaly keep me from trying the P-38 and maiden flight of the Avenger though we are hoping for a nice day toward the end of the month to hopefully get a maiden flight.
Hope everyone stays safe andd warm through the next storm though it isn't looking good for us here.

Larry

Firebar 11-08-2012 01:41 PM

Larry, I did trains. First I had a layout of HO scale trains but I didn't have enough room to expand the layout anymore. I still have a whole box of HO trains and Plasticville houses and Matchbox cars from the 60's and 70's. Then the answer was N gauge. I could have a lot more layout in the same space. I have a box of N gauge trains too. The problem is that after all of the work building the layout it isn't much fun running them.
Now take RC planes. It is as much fun running them as it is building them. The hobby is also self purging allowing room for more planes. It's perfect!

Good luck on the flights of the P-38 and the Avenger. We are scheduled to get a few nice days. I am hoping to primer the L-19 and the Beechcraft this weekend.

Charlie

lkahn4 11-08-2012 02:49 PM

Hey Charlie,
I knew there was more than planes that bound this group together.
My father in law worked for Lionel back in the 50's and he had a ton of stuff which he lent to his 4 brothers over the years, we now have a meager stable of trains and acc. as well as memory of all the stuff he had.
I probably have around 10 grand worth of HO stuff squirreled away that I was going to use when I built my condo but the RC bug bit once again. 5 years ago my wife bought me some G scale stuff that I will try and incorporate into the backyard when I finally move to Arizona.
I have a 15 x 30' loft for the HO layout, a decent size backyard for the G scale and best of all a 3rd car garage for the hanger/workshop....

Talk soon
Larry

peter w h 11-11-2012 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Yes Charlie I am still here. Working like mad to finish for Toledo.

Glad to hear everyone ok from the big storm. Up here they were calling it Frankenstorm because it peaked on Oct.31
We had very high winds and a ton of rain but no damage.

Larry, any news on the maiden.

Noah, we need a guy like you up here in our club to get some things happening, good show.

Chic, nice to hear you will be back at the Avenger soon, I need a Build Buddy.

Latest pics.<br type="_moz" />

redtail 11-11-2012 12:54 PM

My God your stuff is so beautiful. Peter you are a true craftsman. What is the gauge of the landing gear sheeting (metal). The light on the rudder, what size is it. I'm questioning the AMA about my 3 views. Seems one set of 3-views has the side, front, top, and bottom, but I need inserts from other 3-views sets that show the single cowl gun trough on the TBF-1B, the bubble observation wings and drop tanks on the TBF-1B that the RAF carried. We gave the RAF, TBF-1B and 1C's on a Lend Lease Program. I'm trying to figure out whether I draw the two differences onto the 3-view and make a note on the 3-views to give notice to the judges of the added differences or what. I do not know what to do. The AMA is being very helpful and I should hear from the Technical Director (Greg Hahn) this week. Glad they know what to do, I sure don't. Trying to look a bit ahead to the Documentation Package in order to compete with the Avenger. Peter, you do such beautiful work. You'll bring home another trophy for Charlie to make note of on his web page. Charlie should be making note of the awards his airframe have rec'd. Great selling point. Following in your footsteps Peter. Chic

peter w h 11-11-2012 01:16 PM

Hey Chic,<div></div><div>long time no hear.<div></div><div>Thanks for the boost, I needed it.</div><div>The beast has been inverted for 2 weeks and it's starting to get boring.
<div></div><div>The landing gear doors are .020" thick.

The light is a small clear LED, just cut the wires off and shove it in a shaped piece of wood.</div></div></div><div></div><div>You are allowed to make the correction notes on the 3 view, but it's nice if you can back it up.</div><div>Keep documentation to max 8 pages and no color pictures.</div><div></div><div>Peter</div>

lkahn4 11-12-2012 04:51 PM

Peter,
To say speechless would be a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT..let's try ready to cry, find another hobby, set fire to our beast and start from scratch.
Really kudos, you are beyond a master builder and a craftsman bar none, as I muddle through with the Trojan build, I will try and put what I have seen in your build and my other friends into my Trojan.
Engine start on the beast this coming Sunday weather permitting, they are already talking rain.

Chic, you better get moving, at this rate Peter will have half a dozen flights under his belt by the time your done, BTW your C-119 is it a short kit or a full kit.

I found some videos on You Tube of an RC Connie and a C-119, totally awesome...Chic think you might want to move to Arizona, we could get into some serious S*^T with our wives building these monsters...LOL

I will let you guys know if we get the engine and taxi test done on Sunday, hopefully we will get a few nice weekends in before Xmas and get a chance to test fly the beast :D

Later
Larry

redtail 11-13-2012 07:14 PM

Well, just heard great news from Greg Hahn, AMA Tech Director, with regards to the 3-views that would be included in my Competition Documentation Package. He said, based on my emails and questions to him and the AMA, it did not appear to him that I was attempting to change the outline of the airframe, (TRUE) it was that I was trying to provide additional information to the judges about the airframe that I was competing and did not know how to do that. Since I am building the TBF-1B, the Lend-Lease model we gave to the RAF that had bubble side observation windows, a trough on the top of the cowl for the single 50 cal, and drop tanks, I needed to show those differences from the standard 3-views of the American TBF-1B version. So I will copy the necessary drawings found in one set of 3-views and attach and make note or highlight those differences and location on the 3-views that I will use to compete with. I have to use three different sets of 3-views to make one set to compete with. Did you guys get all that, I think I got it, still not sure. Smile. Glad that is behind me. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. Chic

redtail 11-13-2012 07:15 PM

Sorry Larry, a full kit

lkahn4 11-18-2012 05:06 PM

Okay guys,
Engine start today... FINALLY, plenty of power almost pulled me over standing in front of the horiz stabs.
Took a awhile to get the fuel into the engine but after 15 mins and a shot of fuel into the carb, wa la the sweet sound of that DA swinging that 3 bladed carbon fiber prop...
We ran half a tank of fuel through the engine with 4 engine starts and it kicked each time we flipped the prop... 2 happy campers here.

We couldn't taxi it as the tail wheel decided not to cooperate and stay down.. but we now have it back in the hanger to go over the whole plane and tighten what needs to be tightened make necessary adjustments.

Hopefully we get a better day than today... windy and cold even though the air temp was 50 degrees..

Chic, just in case you get an offer for the C-119 let me know so I can up the offer by a $1.00, just trying to talk the wife into it.

Larry

redtail 11-19-2012 03:27 AM

Larry, don't worry, I'll hold the kit for you. Glad to hear that the DA wasn't so bulky about starting after all. I love those engines. Chic

peter w h 11-20-2012 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest pics.

Larry,

Good to hear the engine is running.
Do you think a maiden is still possible this year , winter is closing in fast.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

redtail 11-20-2012 07:35 PM

Peter, your work brings tears to my eyes. I can only hope to do as well. Keep up the beautiful work. You are inspiring. Chic

lkahn4 11-21-2012 03:58 AM

Peter,
Beautiful work, if I keep reading these posts I will need to start needle pointing.
We are hoping to get everything tightened and buttoned up in the next 2 weeks and hopefully we will have at least 1 nice day in December.
Though after all this work I'm thinking early spring as the winds at the beach have been hovering between 15 and 20 with gusts between 25 - 30 mph and since we only have a 300 ft runway....
Not comfortable hauling the beast to the field only to have it sit in the back of my friends truck due to winds....

Small progress on the Trojan, life always seems to be getting in the way, hoping to have the flap hangers drilled and test fitted by the weekend..

Again Happy Thanksgiving to all

Larry

butlern 11-21-2012 03:48 PM

Larry, glad to hear the motor is humming!

Peter.... uggghhhh.. no words (jealous down here in Oklahoma).

Happy thanksgiving, everyone!

Noah

peter w h 12-03-2012 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

Latest pics.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

lkahn4 12-03-2012 04:19 PM

Peter,
Okay, seriously... I don't think anyone stands a chance against you at Toledo or Top Gun... As soon as I finish this post I am ordering 100 yds of yarn and a half dozen knitting needles.
You have definetly given me something to strive for with the Trojan, great job on the gauges not to mention the levers and throttle controls... I'm so freakin jealous....

Keep up the great work

Larry

peter w h 12-05-2012 04:24 AM

Larry, believe me; after finishing this one I am also going to take up knitting.<div>
</div><div>Thanks for the encouragement guys, it sure helps to ward off  "burn-out".</div><div>
</div><div>Peter</div>

butlern 12-12-2012 06:55 PM

Updates, Peter! We need another update!
Keep those pictures coming!

WARBIRDRCER 12-12-2012 07:15 PM

I could only dream of this skill level.;)
You either have a shrink ray:), or this is really a full scale plane and you are pulling our tail tie downs. :D

peter w h 12-13-2012 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

ORIGINAL: butlern

Updates, Peter! We need another update!
Keep those pictures coming!

butlern 12-13-2012 06:32 PM

Peter, Nice! You're further raising the bar... for Charlie, that is!

Charlie is now going to have to offer hand-formed aluminum pilot and turret seats! His customers will expect nothing less once they see these pictures (and pictures of your finished model)!

How rapidly can you slip those into the production line, Charlie?!?!? Hahahahah!

Thanks for the update, Peter. I know it takes a lot of time to shoot pictures, re-size and load them, but we love to see these updates... no matter how "incremental" they might seem to you!

All the best,

Noah