RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8096976-comp-arf-110%22-f4u-arf-folding-wing-assembly.html)

samparfitt 04-29-2017 02:10 PM

2017 PM.
First one ready for the season.
Happy with being able to hand start the engine after sitting all winter. Took about 12 flips with choke on, ignition on and full throttle and 3-4 to start with choke off and throttle on idle. RPM's at 3480 (perfect for this plane).

I have no idea on loading up images with this new format.
I assumed 'image' would allow me to 'search' but only the URL comes up!

jchorak 04-29-2017 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=samparfitt;12331695]2017 PM.
Happy with being able to hand start the engine after sitting all winter. Took about 12 flips with choke on, ignition on and full throttle and 3-4 to start with choke off and throttle on idle. RPM's at 3480 (perfect for this plane).

Gotta like that.........

Greg Wright 04-30-2017 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=jchorak;12331704]

Originally Posted by samparfitt (Post 12331695)
2017 PM.

Gotta like that.........

Sam,
I just curious as to why you need to go to full throttle to choke your moki before starting. I usually just set my trim to where its going to idle or just slightly above and choke it from that position. I'd hate to see the motor try to run or even backfire on the choke and have something happen to you.
My feeling is that is a very dangerous approach to starting any gas motor. As long as it gets a little air/fuel mix to the engine it will pop off.

samparfitt 04-30-2017 05:48 AM

Yo Greg,
First of the year, with the carb dry, I put the throttle on full to get the fuel into the carb (this is all hand starting). During the season, I usually put the throttle about a 1/4 with the choke on. After the first 'pop' I put the throttle back to 'off' with the trim at 50%.
After the first run of the day, the throttle can be off and she starts as gas is already in the carb.
Also, I don't use a fuel pump.
With the choke on though, I've never had my engines start, even when full throttle is on. Without air, the engine just 'pops' and then stops. With the ignition on, the engine tells me, exactly, when she's ready to be started with the choke on.
For me, having the ignition on and the choke on, I never have to worry about flooding the engine using this method.
As far as I remember, I've also never had a gas engine back fire on me, resulting in bruised knuckles (can't say the same for glow engines, when I had those!).
The plane is ALWAYS tied down when I start the plane: just in case I do something stupid. I see a lot of pilots that just hold onto the cowl/fuse with their left hand and flip their engines with their right hand (mostly 'glow' pilots). Also, the same pilots stand in line with their prop and put the engine to full throttle.
Sam

Stevedavy 05-22-2017 09:08 AM

Corsair

Lee Iknow this thread is old but just seen the pics of your model. Any possibility of more pics of your cowl and battery install. Although smaller I'm trying to do the Hangar 9 60cc Corsair conversion to electric and need inspiration for the battery hatch/ installation

regards

steve

Stevedavy 05-22-2017 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Estingoy (Post 11016260)
The COMP ARF Corsair looks huge, but it breaks down pretty well. I can haul it in my 'wagon pretty easily.

:)

Lee could you please send any more pics of your cowl: battery installation I'm trying to get inspiration for z Hangar 9 60cc electric conversion .

regards

steve

samparfitt 06-05-2017 03:38 PM

Took her to the CARDS warbirds and classics at Lansing, Michigan but unable to fly.
First the doors wouldn't close.
Guessing there was a speck of dust in the input side of the air valve as air going in but nothing coming out.
Used the air line to blow it out but it only worked for one cycle as the doors stopped again.
Also, a fast leak in one of the door air cylinders in the UP position: Some 'thin lube' and Darrell's grease didn't fix it.
Got all that fixed but pulled out the battery wire to the down and lock electric folding wings and put it in the wrong 'outlet' and 'screwed' up the module. Called Mitch and getting a new one. (should have looked at the instructions, first, instead of guessing!!). That puts a kibosh on taking her to Warbirds over Georgia, this week.
Needed it to be sent over night to get here in time but, at 65 bucks for shipping, I'll wait!

GeorgiaFlyer 06-08-2017 03:28 AM

I flew mine at Joe Nall. Got about 10 flights on it over the week. Here are a couple links to some of the videos.
and

samparfitt 06-28-2017 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting the videos.
===========
More PM.
Plugged in the auxiliary battery backwards in the wing controller and got a new controller.
Another intermittent air leak on another gear door. The air cylinder would leak, sometimes, with a side bind.
Finally, ready to fly her.

samparfitt 07-02-2017 04:40 PM

No words needed.

samparfitt 07-17-2017 01:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Glad I always cycle the gear each morning!
While at the last flyin, I flew the plane the first two days but the third day, another air leak.
I almost forgot about the first day:
Gear was not going all the way in and the doors were not completely closing. Had to adjust the collars that the 'scissors' part that connect to the oleo.
The pin holding the new air door cylinder that I put in last week, fell out.
Found a small bolt and nut to fix that and then the ply holding the air cylinder came loose.
Fixed that and one hinge on the door was loose.
Then, all was good until the third day. Waited until I got home to fix it.
Put air in and the pressure valve went down within a minute or two but no sounds of air leaks.
Fortunately, the neighbor 8 year old found the leak for me. He said it was coming out the fill valve: would have taken me hours to figure that one out! I had to put my finger over the valve to feel it as it made no air sounds(guess his sight, sound and feel are much better than mine: big surprise!).
All seems good, again. If I would have flown on the 3rd day without a gear cycle, the prop and doors would probably have been damaged.
I've had this plane since October of 2010 so I guess a few things can happen. Can't complain as the engine and plane has always been reliable in the air.
Been very easy to start:several flips with choke and ignition on, then a few more with the choke off. Doing 800/3450 rpm's.

Dilligaf2013 07-17-2017 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by samparfitt (Post 12352755)
Glad I always cycle the gear each morning!
While at the last flyin, I flew the plane the first two days but the third day, another air leak.
I almost forgot about the first day:
Gear was not going all the way in and the doors were not completely closing. Had to adjust the collars that the 'scissors' part that connect to the oleo.
The pin holding the new air door cylinder that I put in last week, fell out.
Found a small bolt and nut to fix that and then the ply holding the air cylinder came loose.
Fixed that and one hinge on the door was loose.
Then, all was good until the third day. Waited until I got home to fix it.
Put air in and the pressure valve went down within a minute or two but no sounds of air leaks.
Fortunately, the neighbor 8 year old found the leak for me. He said it was coming out the fill valve: would have taken me hours to figure that one out! I had to put my finger over the valve to feel it as it made no air sounds(guess his sight, sound and feel are much better than mine: big surprise!).
All seems good, again. If I would have flown on the 3rd day without a gear cycle, the prop and doors would probably have been damaged.
I've had this plane since October of 2010 so I guess a few things can happen. Can't complain as the engine and plane has always been reliable in the air.
Been very easy to start:several flips with choke and ignition on, then a few more with the choke off. Doing 800/3450 rpm's.

Hi Sam, what prop are you using?

samparfitt 07-18-2017 12:19 AM

Solo 32" 3 blade, paddle blades.

lecorsair 08-01-2019 05:00 AM

Down and locked for canopy F4U

Hello, I am looking for the motor to move the cockpit of the corsair F4U after contact with Down & Locked, this product is no longer available If anyone has 1 copy we never
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...6d36ae87af.jpg

Craig B. 08-17-2019 03:26 PM

Why not use an actuonix linear servo if you can’t source the down and locked item?

lecorsair 08-18-2019 04:16 AM

Motor for canopy

a forum member had 1 full set stock
he is at home nowhttps://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...af3c207d70.jpg

lecorsair 08-25-2019 03:16 AM

Hello, we try to contact Down & Locked but no responses to our messages
On holiday or contact email invalid