RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8096976-comp-arf-110%22-f4u-arf-folding-wing-assembly.html)

TripleDeucer 11-01-2008 11:00 PM

RE: COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

stuff:

pic 1:
On Monday, I went to home depot and got my paint.
I'm going with the Marine's three color scheme.
The premium Behr exterior is no longer in quart cans so I bought a gallon and put it into four quart cans so it won't dry out when I have half of it left in the can (this plane will probably use two quarts, anyway!).

pic 2/3/4:
Looks like the only cockpit option is with D-balsa 1/4 scale Don Smith kit:
The Smith kit is 1/4 scale versus comparf's 1/4.5 but that should be close enough!

http://www.dbalsa.com/
Sam, what is it that you like about the Behr paint? Never used it and just wondering.

Thanks, Mark

samparfitt 11-02-2008 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark,
Any high quality paint will do but I use 100% latex, exterior grade.
It's independent of humidity, sprays like auto paints, cheap (like me!), non-toxic and they can scan any color you have and duplicate it.
After painting on the insignias (also water base) and any decals, I use minwax water base, polycrylic clear finish to seal it.
For stars/stripes I use rustoleum apple red (1996), white (1992) and navy blue (1922) (close enough for me: see last picture).
These won't do if you're going to the MASTERS but I just build 'sport' models that meet my needs.
My last two water base projects:

Paint how to's:
Vailly aviation under ARTICLES:

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

I still use a two part primer from my local auto store because it wet sands extremely easy and you can do it outside because it doesn't make any difference if a foreign object gets on it since you're wet sanding it anyway.

TripleDeucer 11-02-2008 12:34 PM

Hey Sam, thanks for all the good info. One more for ya. What does getting any raw gas or exhuast residue on it do? I just finished a 1/4 Super Cub in Randolph dope and it is coming off on my cleaning rag. I have an OS 160 twin four stroke on it that runs on powermaster 20/20. I think the 20% nitro is the problem.
The Ziroli Corsair I'm doing will have a gasoline motor and I don't want to have the same type problem.
Thanks, Mark

samparfitt 11-02-2008 04:19 PM

Mark,
The water base seems to do pretty well against gasoline engines.
It's best to wipe the plane down at the end of the flying day.
I have no experience with glow fuel on water base but it appears the two aren't compatible without putting a clearcoat on.

didiwatt 11-03-2008 07:24 PM

Sam:
I am anxiously waiting for you to start the first process which is cutting out the gear doors and installing the retracts. I have read and re-read the brief instructions a hundred times and viewed the pictures that many times. The instructions are very vaque for such and important area. So far I have been afraid to make any cuts and was hoping for some imput from you...............The cuts do not seem to be the same from one picture to the next and of course there are no measurements given.......
Thanks, Paul

AnthonyW 11-03-2008 08:11 PM

Looks Great. I have read the info on the P-47 as well. I was wondering...........What do you do for a living and are they hiring? Wow, two really nice kits back to back.

samparfitt 11-03-2008 10:34 PM

Paul and Anthony,
Sorry, but I won't be doing any cutting on the Corsair until my retracts come in and I have finished re-reading and understanding every part of the manual. I'm expecting my retracts sometime the end of next week.
I never know which plane I'm working on until the minute that I decide to go do some work on them.
Today, I decided to work on the P-47 gear doors.
Tomorrow, who knows!
I'm retired and each morning, I decide what I'm going to do, and even then, I might do several things at once.
No schedule, no rush: it gets done when it gets done.
As long as I'm doing some kind of work on any of my hobbies, I'm happy.

Is the folding wing mechanism completed on your outer wings?

didiwatt 11-04-2008 08:08 AM

No, mine is the wing tube version. Maybe somebody else will chime in here, who have already installed the gear or have the arf version with gear doors already installed. A few good pictures will suffice. The manual could use a little more explanation in this area.
Paul

didiwatt 11-04-2008 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I found some photo's of an arf version on earlier threads. Will help very much in determining where to make your cuts for the front gear door frame. I will try and post any suggestions once I get one done.
Paul

didiwatt 11-04-2008 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I notice those will not enlarge. How about these............

didiwatt 11-06-2008 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here we go with cutouts for retracts. Hope this helps.

Line #1: Follows outter rib. Cut just inside the rib which is visible from inside the wheel well. Sand flush with rib once cut

Line #2: The angle follows the existing panel line

Line #3: Follows existing panle line to cooler outline. Then just follow the cooler outline.

Line #4: Cut a little short until you find the hardwood leading edge. Then cut at leading edge and sand smooth

Picture #2 is final shape.

DO NOT CUT OUT THE DOORS FROM THE CARBON FIBER SHEET YET AS PICTURED IN THE MANUAL........... YOU WILL SEE WHY SHORTLY................

didiwatt 11-06-2008 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Completed cut out and the piece that was cut out

didiwatt 11-06-2008 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rotation block can be loosened and moved up a little. You will need all the room you can. The gear must me flush with the leading edge as you will soon see why. The rotating ball housing can be ground off a little and the stud has to be shortened about 1/4 of inch.

didiwatt 11-06-2008 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut a small hole through the carbon fiber wing tube spar because I thought that the air nipple on the piston hit when fully retracted.

However, when all was installed and I could see through the spar, there might be about 1/4" clearance. An elbow air nipple would solve this easily. I think there would be a problem if one or the other is not done.........

didiwatt 11-06-2008 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, this is why you do not want to cut out the door panels from the carbon fiber piece before installing the gear. In my case, I need to make the doors at least 1/2 inch longer.

The second pictures shows that the leg is not centered in the wheel well but so far this has not created a problem.....

didiwatt 11-06-2008 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a problem that I have not been able to overcome as yet. I am sure the doors will not close all the way. I was able to grind a little bit on the scissor stops so that the gear retracts in a little more but not enough............. For sure the gear cannot be set lower as it rests on the skin now up front.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm need to think about this for a while.......
Paul

Ken-h 11-06-2008 02:15 PM

Thanks for the pictures Paul. Is the gear fully retracted or is it still hitting something? Pictures are a little small so it's hard to tell.

Ken

didiwatt 11-06-2008 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken, here is a larger one. The gear is fully retracted to the stops. There is more room in the wing but the gear will not allow more travel.
Paul

Ken-h 11-06-2008 08:03 PM

Hi Paul,

I was looking at the manual and your pictures and really don't know what going on. What does the forward rake look like with the gear extended? I was thinking that maybe the rails are a little off as it would not take much to cause this. Just guessing here as I am still waiting for mine to get here.

Ken

didiwatt 11-07-2008 08:43 AM

I have emailed pictures to Andy Kane and Comp-Arf support as well as Darrell at Sierra about this. Darrell is suppose to be getting ahold of a kit so he can see what I am talking about.

In the meantime, I am not going to cut any of the doors or framework from the supplied carbon fiber sheet incase changes are made.

There are lots of things to do so I will move on. Hopefully Sam will get going so I don't feel like I stole his thread..........
Paul

Ken-h 11-10-2008 06:23 PM

Paul,

So...did you get any more done on yours yet? Looking forward to seeing yours come along.

Ken

didiwatt 11-10-2008 06:37 PM

Ken:
Yes I did.

I got an email from Comp-arf which basically said the gear will fit if I read the instructions properly. Bull crap............

Darrell at Sierra was very helpful. I now have one side mounted with all doors fitted and am happy with the result. I could not have done it without you Darrell, thank you very much............

I will post pictures, hopefully tomorrow. Will save you hours of scratching your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is yours the wing tube version?

Paul

Ken-h 11-10-2008 07:02 PM

Nice! Glad to hear you got it worked out. Yes sir, mine is the tube version as I am into into the flying part. Besides, I have some money left for servos...haha. Look forward to seeing what Darrell had you do.

Ken

didiwatt 11-11-2008 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is a picture of the landing gear. As you will see, you need to round the corner of the side plate on this side. You will also see that the rotating block is moved all the way up and that the rotating ball housing is ground down a little and the rotating stud is shortened a little.

didiwatt 11-11-2008 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the first picture, please look at the stut cover mounting block. The two 4/40 holes are used for mounting the plate. Next to the lower hole is a allen head bolt. This bold locks the block on the strut. By losening this bolt and moving the block up or down the strut, you are increasing or decreasing the amount of retraction of the gear.

Picture #2 shows the full retraction after adjustment. It must retract to where it almost touches the carbon fiber wing tube. This will give you enough clearance for the wheel doors.