RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8096976-comp-arf-110%22-f4u-arf-folding-wing-assembly.html)

didiwatt 11-11-2008 02:08 PM

RE: COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY

1 Attachment(s)
This picture shows the gear fully retracted after lengthening the wheel well cut out about 1/2 inch. I actually went to the next panel line. The retracted wheel just rubs against the rear wing span so I think it will be ok.

didiwatt 11-11-2008 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the back side of the c/f strut cover. I had to raise the cover 1/4" and angle it a little to meet all the other panels. I am still working on this but you get the idea. I am trying to decide if the front tip needs to be attached to the strut also.

didiwatt 11-11-2008 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is everthing closed up. The front of the strut panel had to be shortened because it hit the wing leading edge while tucking under during retraction, as shown in picture #2. Still need a little tweaking but everything is clearing.

didiwatt 11-11-2008 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the finished product less a little tweaking here and there. Bummer about the cutout around the mounting bolt. I also don't like the void in front of the strut panel but I could not figure anything else to do. Maybe somebody else can come up with something better. LOL
Paul

BigRetracts-RCU 11-11-2008 06:38 PM

Paul,

The full scale Corsair had a leather strip between the underside of the leading edge
and the top of the strut door.

The way the gear swings, there is no way to get a gapless fit.

You might be able to find a photo on the web somewhere. I know this
from seeing many of them at airshows.

You could try a strip of cloth fastened too both of the edges.

cimara 11-11-2008 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres some pics of what hes talking about found it here on rcu some were about a year ago

bentwings 11-12-2008 02:06 AM

The leather cover or hinge can be made from an old pair of TIG welding gloves. They are very soft thin white or off white leather with a tan cuff that is heavier. I have 4 or 5 pair in my tool box awaiting a plane to install on. If you can't wait to wear out a pair of gloves just buy a pair at about $10 at the local welding supply store.

My original Ziroli Corsair front gear doors had a pair of removable pin hinges and I wound torsion springs for the doors out of about .012 wire as I recall. The doors had just a small block of wood that rode on the strut.

My installation was almost exactly as yours is with the filler blocks. I used a mechanical linkage operated by the gear leg to close the main doors. This was all done on CAD before eveyrone had CAD stuff. It all worked right out of the box and was very trouble free.

samparfitt 11-13-2008 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I see some have been doing some work on their corsair.
Presently, I'm still working on my Robart P-47.
I'm putting an aluminum finish on it with panel lines and rivets and I don't want to stop (because I might not start again!).
About another week of 10-12 hr days doing the P-47 and I should be able to next start on the Corsair.
Just wanted to show the pump system that just came in for the folding wings.
They forgot to include it in the kit and mailed it from Germany (where I believe it was made).

didiwatt 11-14-2008 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran into another potential problem that may save you guys some grief. I was just lucky. It is where you place the hinges on the wheel well doors. The instructions gave no placement measurements. After looking at pictures of the arf version, I decided on placing the hinges 1 1/2" inward from the outer edge of the doors, per the photo below. Well, what comes in play latter is the location of the air cylinder for opening and closing the doors. These must have good geometry. Had I gone any further toward the center, the wheel would have prevented proper cylinder placement.

Of course I am only talking about the front two hinges that the air cylinder attaches to. After going back and looking at the arf version pictures, the hinges are a little closer to the ends. If you look at the top of the upper door on the picture below, there is a dogleg. The hinge on the arf version is very close to the point where the dogleg straightens out. That would put the hinge closer to 1" to 1 1/8" from the end. If you go back on page 2 and look at the arf pictures I posted, you will see what I mean.

I don't have my cylinders mounted yet but I think I will be ok, I am just finishing up gear #2.

Oh, by the way, Darrell at Sierra has sequencing air values for this bird and recommends two large air tanks. I just ordered them today, thanks Darrell.

Paul

Ken-h 11-14-2008 06:18 PM

Paul,

Thanks for the info. Glad to see you have the gear issue sorted out.

Ken

Ken-h 11-14-2008 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

Well, I see some have been doing some work on their corsair.
Presently, I'm still working on my Robart P-47.
I'm putting an aluminum finish on it with panel lines and rivets and I don't want to stop (because I might not start again!).
About another week of 10-12 hr days doing the P-47 and I should be able to next start on the Corsair.
They forgot to include it in the kit and mailed it from Germany (where I believe it was made).

Hi Sam,

I been watching that P-47, great work btw. Your cooking right along!

dbarrym 11-14-2008 08:04 PM

Some great info here - will come in very handy (especially the forward strut door detail and pics). Thanks much!

My kit is supposed to be on its way to me now, ordered back in April. Curiously enough, I received a small box with the hydraulic pump, fittings, and oil last week. Got the full boat ARF kit with folding wing option, will be powered with my RCS/Moki 215 radial and Solo 3-blade 28x16 prop.. Thinking of going with the "Big Hog" VF-17 scheme at this point.

Debating making a sliding canopy, bit of a hassle on the Corsair due the track geometry and canopy/fuse clearance issues. Anyone with this C-ARF kit look at the fuse structure and canopy separation lines to see how feasible this mod is?

Barry

uncljoe 11-15-2008 12:09 AM

Barry
" Debating making a sliding canopy, bit of a hassle on the Corsair due the track geometry and canopy/fuse clearance issues. Anyone with this C-ARF kit look at the fuse structure and canopy separation lines to see how feasible this mod is?"

Go for It , Barry ! ;) just how fast do you want to have it airborne, might take a few hours of thinking ,looking at some Dark Arts (D Platt) videos,. Is there a full size U-bird at MCAS Miramar .maybe you could get access to the canopy mech should help.
Ck your e-mail for FG1d pix,
Semper fi
Joe

dbarrym 11-15-2008 12:17 AM

Thanks Joe, the pics were great, may go that route if I decide to do a modern glossy finish. Need to decide soon!

I have the time at the moment :eek: , so doing a working canopy isn't an issue unless the effort requires major rework of the canopy/hatch separation lines - we'll know soon.

There is an F4U-1D at Miramar, I can probably get some pics and possibly inside cockpit/canopy pix (the museum owes the MRCF club a few favors).

Cyal8r -

B.

samparfitt 11-15-2008 08:49 AM

fyi,
I plan on adding a sliding canopy to the Corsair.
See post #97 in my Robart P-47 assembly for rail building:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._4/key_/tm.htm

didiwatt 11-15-2008 01:10 PM

Ken:
Have you got your wing tube version yet?

I guess I am stupid but I cannot figure out or find parts for attaching the outter wings as explained on page 19................ there are no illustrations to help....

I have e-mailed comp-arf support and hope they come through.............
Paul

dbarrym 11-15-2008 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

Sam, looks like I received exactly the same parts as you - what I thought was a bottle of oil is a plasma bag style tank and two plastic tank covers, I suspect this is supposed to be a "bubble-less" oil tank/accumulator.

Barry

Ken-h 11-15-2008 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: didiwatt

Ken:
Have you got your wing tube version yet?

I guess I am stupid but I cannot figure out or find parts for attaching the outter wings as explained on page 19................ there are no illustrations to help....

I have e-mailed comp-arf support and hope they come through.............
Paul
Paul,

Not yet. I'll give them a few more weeks before I start asking whats up. I should have ordered it a little sooner but I thought they would have brought more in than they did. As far as the wings go, I wish I could help you out. It sounds pretty straight forward but without it in my hands I'd hate to steer you the wrong way.

Ken

Rebel Flyer 11-15-2008 10:47 PM

Anyone know how many of these Corsairs are being shipped into the country per month? Are they selling like hotcakes?

NCIS 11-16-2008 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
didiwatt,

In one of your pictures you show one of Darrell's retract bolt flanges showing. Can I ask you why? I know it is a very tight fit on mine. I had to back mine up 1/4" from the front spar so my 8" wheel would fit. Now I have 4 1/4" from the TE of the main spar to the center of the axle which is 1/4" diameter. Here's pic's of yours and mine. I can just get the 1/8" balsa sheeting over the bolt head because of the natural bow from the curve of the gull wing section. The strut length on mine is 11 3/4". Whats the length on yours? I just want to see what the difference is from the 121.5" wingspan and your 110" wingspan. I think once I shape the LE of the wing and put the blocks on the front of the strut for the gear door like you did it should line up with where it should be. I just couldn't go any farther forward for 2 reasons. The wheel and it started to hit the top sheeting when it was touching the front spar. Even if I ground it down like you did I would of had to remove to much. I also added a couple pictures of the fuselage and my custom work on the canopy, cowling, and fuel cap/tank access panel. I hope you don't think I'm trying to hi-jack your thread. I just think you have a beautiful bird and wanted to share some pic's of my scratch build.

Gibbs

didiwatt 11-17-2008 08:56 AM

Gibbs:
My stut length is the same as yours. Even with the gear dead against the front leading edges, the 7" wheel rubs the rear wing tube.

The photo is a mis-leading. The corner of the landing gear is higher than the wing sheeting. In my opinion this is a design flaw.

Darrell said he was unaware of this problem and felt it could have be designed out. That is the reason the second bolt tab was removed on this side.

Nice job.

Paul

samparfitt 11-17-2008 12:48 PM

FYI,
Brian at Dynamics Balsa is making up a cockpit set for this plane.
His email:
[email protected]

Dai Phan 11-17-2008 01:12 PM

Hi,

I am a beginner pilot and I have flow some Cox planes bought at Walmart. I am thinking of buying this plane since I like the Corsair. Where can I order one? Thanks DP

pappy35 11-17-2008 01:17 PM

You can buy directly from me for half the price! Just send me the cash and I'll get it right to you!

:D

I presume that was a joke. 8-)

NCIS 11-17-2008 01:31 PM

To be scale on mine I have to go with 8" wheels or at least 7 3/4". From the axle back to the TE spar is more than enough. It looks like Darrell killed two birds with one stone. He still is a great guy but maybe he just didn't want to make a slightly smaller gear for yours. I know he is putting these in the Tiger Models XXL, your Comp ARF and my Don Smith plans Corsairs which is what I'm building. The XXl and mine are exactly the same size. So what are you going to do with the flange area. If it were me I would just leave it. It's on the bottom anyway. Although you could make the hatch that you have around the strut door angle up into the oil cooler there. Well I'll be watching but I need to stick with my thread.

Good luck with your big bird,

Gibbs