RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8096976-comp-arf-110%22-f4u-arf-folding-wing-assembly.html)

kram 10-08-2012 01:33 PM

RE: COMP ARF 110

Really exciting to see you having a good time with that fabulous bird!

And a little sad that you were smart enough to figure out how to keep the Moki running and I wasn't :(

Keep the reports coming. I think a lot of us live vicariously through your merry RC travels.

Not to mention we use your construction threads as assembly manuals!

mt

samparfitt 10-08-2012 01:48 PM

Yo Mark,
After flying that 'combo', I'm almost tempted to only fly that size plane/engine...if only I could afford it!
Yep, I was 'smart': mounted it, put gas in it and it ran. Maybe you got a temperamental one!
I heard that the pilot with the Meister zero and a moki 150 (at Mac's flyin) runs good in another plane but stops in the zero after a few minutes. Maybe some kind of air starvation/turbulence caused by the cowl, etc.
I would really like to continue flying the F4U but that was my last 'show' for the year.

IFLYBVM2 10-08-2012 02:02 PM

SAMPARFITT for President....
He's the Man !

JPate147 10-08-2012 02:06 PM

Hi Sam,

Glad you had a good time. I agree completely with your comments on the plane/engine combo. It is a real pleasure to fly it.

We passed on this one because it was for all sizes, even the small electrics - but I didn't see any of them in your photos? Were there many there ?

samparfitt 10-08-2012 02:13 PM

Jpate,
There were a few electrics and a few were being flown while large scale aircraft were flying but they seemed to keep them out over past the runway in the center field as to not disturb the 'normal' flight pattern of larger aircraft. The bulk of them came out after 5 PM when the flyin is over for the day.
Most flyin's are not that large so each group should respect the other to wait until the plane/s are down to fly their respective aircraft. At a meet, if a WW I or jet is flying, I usually like to wait until they are down before I fly my WW II heavy metal. The skies are usually not real crowded so I don't mind waiting 15 minutes to get my 'stick' time in.

ram3500-RCU 10-08-2012 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

Yo Mark,
After flying that 'combo', I'm almost tempted to only fly that size plane/engine...if only I could afford it!
Yep, I was 'smart': mounted it, put gas in it and it ran. Maybe you got a temperamental one!
I heard that the pilot with the Meister zero and a moki 150 (at Mac's flyin) runs good in another plane but stops in the zero after a few minutes. Maybe some kind of air starvation/turbulence caused by the cowl, etc.
I would really like to continue flying the F4U but that was my last 'show' for the year.
Hey Sam, I would like to know more about the Meister Zero and the Moki 150. That is the engine have for mine. Maybe I could get in touch with the owner.

Love your Corsair. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.:D

DiscoWings 10-12-2012 05:58 AM

Does anyone have a way to contact Gream Mears to get his carf details kit? where can you buy it and what is the price?

docgboy 10-12-2012 06:13 AM

I have a set of used landing gear and door air cylinders as well as a folding wing mechanism that can be had for $1500 and 200 respectively.

send e-mail to [email protected]

samparfitt 10-12-2012 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary,
Scott sent you the Meister's zero owners email and cell phone.

===========

Disco:
this was his email in 2009:

[email protected]

His RCU handle was (I assume it still is):
wacokiwi

this should allow you to email him (he lives in Canada):
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...fm?memid=22721

==========
With a wing like that, I see shy the corsair flies great and lands so easily!

jchorak 10-12-2012 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Does anyone have a way to contact Gream Mears to get his carf details kit? where can you buy it and what is the price?

Andy Kane can help you, contact info at the following:http://www.andykane.com

John

DiscoWings 10-12-2012 08:33 AM

Contacted Andy he doesn't know if he can get the kit.

funfly-RCU 10-12-2012 08:54 AM

You can look Gream Mears up on facebook

DiscoWings 10-12-2012 11:00 AM

Ahhhhh I don't have a face book account[:@], does anyone have this kit and wants to sell it[&o]

samparfitt 10-12-2012 11:23 AM

it appears you didn't read post 1284!

DiscoWings 10-12-2012 12:54 PM

Yes I actually tried contacting via both those before I posted, no response hence I came here.

Oh well[:o]

ram3500-RCU 10-13-2012 09:59 AM

I spoke to Greame about this at this years Toledo show in April. He told me that he needed to do some work on some of the molds, as they had a life that had been reached. He was not sure when he would have time to do this. At the time, he was very busy with his Top Gun entry. I am going to check back with him and will report my findings.

ram3500-RCU 10-13-2012 10:01 AM

Gary,
Scott sent you the Meister's zero owners email and cell phone.

===========

Disco:
this was his email in 2009:

[email protected]

His RCU handle was (I assume it still is):
wacokiwi

this should allow you to email him (he lives in Canada):
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...fm?memid=22721

==========
With a wing like that, I see shy the corsair flies great and lands so easily!

Thanks buddy.

ram3500-RCU 10-15-2012 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

I was in touch with Greame via email over the week end. He would like those interested in the kit to contact him directly regarding availability. He will fill you in.

[email protected]

stivvy 11-08-2012 09:16 AM

Hi guys,

I have emailed Graeme re the scale accessories, which he cannot supply at the moment as all his equipment, molds etc are out of service until he sets up again.

Hopefully early next year he might be up and running.

QUESTION - I have today received my Corsair and what a fabulous thing it is.
However some of the rivet detail on the fuselage in particular is very faint and in some ares virtually missing altogether. With paint on top they may disappear - Anybody had a similar issue or is this as the real thing was ?

Regards

Steve

stivvy 11-16-2012 07:31 AM

New front wing hinge.

I installed the new wing hinges from Darrell.
These have an offset curve on the 'inner wing' side hinge that makes it unnecessary to cut a slot in the outer wing edge.
The old hinge had four bolts but the new hinge only uses three bolts.
After installation of the new hinges, I tested the folding wings.
Initially, the wings wouldn't go up so I put some more air pressure into the accumulator and now the wings operate correctly. Since the plane has been in the hanger since last March, I'm assuming that some of the air pressure leaked out as the folding mechanism worked OK without the outer wings attached.

I'm trying to download a video test of the wings but both the RCU and youtube seem to be in a 'state of lockup'. Ever since I had to reload my microsoft and a new anti-virus AVG, video downloads haven't worked and I haven't figured, yet, why.

pic 1:
Original hinge on inner wing.

pic 2:
old/new hinges.

pic 3:
New hinge installed with outer wing attached.
HMMM: I just noticed in the picture that the edge of the wing doesn't quite clear the new hinge.
Either I did something wrong or I'm still going to have a small notch in the wing (although not as large as it was!).

pic 4:
wings tested.

pic 5:
The wing is separated from the fuse since I had a BIG scare an hour ago.
While the fuse and wing was attached, I tried to test the folding wings and when I hit the switch, the cockpit started filling up with smoke. First, I turned off everything and then I ran and got my fire extinguisher as that's the last thing I need is a plane on fire in my living room! Turns out that the tail wheel servo burned out. Initially, I used a small servo mounted on the tail gear but moved it under the cockpit. The wheel was sitting at an angle and must have overloaded the servo. I need to put a HS-645 servo to handle this large of a plane. I've never had a servo burn on me. Initially, I forgot to turn on the power to the folding wing pump and, since the wing wasn't moving and smoke started to fill the cockpit, I thought it was the pump. By chance, the tail wheel servo started to burn when I was operating the wings.
I'm glad it was the servo as trying to obtain a new pump would probably take forever!

Hi Sam,

Just read the update on your tail wheel servo.
I thought that mounting the servo directly on the gear to avoid the pull-pull cables was a good one, but see that you have moved the servo to behind the cockpit.

Was there a reason - did the tail mount not work as expected ?

Thanks

Steve D

samparfitt 11-16-2012 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,
I made a 'change to the change': the HS-645 is mounted directly onto the tail gear. Works real nice.
I don't remember the reason: with a full cockpit and functioning canopy, maybe there wasn't a lot of room (could also have been too much 'slop' going that distance and getting by the structural support of the tail gear).
As mentioned, previously, I like short linkages.
With large giant scale planes, I really don't worry about adding a 2 ounce servo in the tail.

stivvy 11-16-2012 08:16 AM

Gotcha Sam,

A change-to-the-change sounds good to me.
I will install the servo on the tail gear;)

Thanks

Steve D

MANFRED 11-16-2012 06:36 PM

Sam, with that straight connection on the tail gear do you have any problems when it is retracted and you use your rudder in the air?

samparfitt 11-16-2012 07:55 PM

Manfred,
good point.
I made the hole in the doors a little larger to allow the wheel to move laterally.
It would be nice to just slave the tail wheel to work only if the gear is down but I don't know if it's possible to also slave it to the rudder. Catch 22: the rudder won't work if you slave both to the gear, but then the wheel has to move if you slave it to the rudder (in this case, I think I just have a Y extension going to the rudder and tail gear).
I'm not sure how much I use my rudder in the air (as stick movement is now more instinctive than mental), but I don't think I could fly my planes without rudder so I settle on the gear moving while in the UP position.

MANFRED 11-16-2012 09:10 PM

Ahh Ok, I wonder if using the pull pull system would slack the lines enough when retracted to not allow any movement of the wheel.