RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Ziroli - SBD Dauntless Build Thread #2 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8157816-ziroli-sbd-dauntless-build-thread-2-a.html)

SMITTY1820 11-17-2008 10:19 PM

Ziroli - SBD Dauntless Build Thread #2

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone!

I am starting to build a Ziroli SBD Dauntless and was looking to see if there is anyone else who is also starting to build this bird.

Here is my progess so far, pretty much step #1 from the Ziroli instruction sheet. (The "Crutch" & Formers)

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2008 11:45 PM

RE: Ziroli - SBD Dauntless Build Thread #2

I have the plans, but have yet to buy the short kit... I really wanna build an A-24B.

LDM 11-18-2008 12:14 AM

excellant , this is my favorite model

FREDERIC 2K5 11-18-2008 12:04 PM

hello Smitty;
I am very happy about this post!.
I ordered some time since the kit complete with PCK, it should happen soon.
A soon.
Frederic
PS: sorry for my english .

SMITTY1820 11-18-2008 07:37 PM

LDM -
Are you going to be building one?

Frederic -
You will be very happy when you receive your large box of wood! If you bought the complete kit, it has everything, sheeting, stringers, blocks, & etc. I know that I am only in the begining of building her, but it really looks like Nick Ziroli has thought ahead. You can build it as a -3 version or a -5 version, I am to the point where I need to make the decision. I have already purchased the -3 version cowl from Ziroli, so more than likely thats the route I am taking. I did do some searching for a -5 version cowl but was unsuccessful. Still too early to decide scheme, but by the looks of it, I will have plenty of time to think about it.

Well off to the shop, going to glue the formers and start laying in the stringers! I will post some pics when I get some more done.

splitzed 11-19-2008 12:14 AM

I'm looking forward to watching this build as this is most likely going to be my next build. The thing looks huge on your table there!! Have you decided on an engine yet?

All Day Dan 11-19-2008 12:22 AM

I'm looking forward to the maiden. Dan.

Nickrc3 11-19-2008 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Smitty,
You're going to need to modify the Ziroli -3 cowling as shown. It's simply just cutting off the scoop, sanding everything out smooth and applying a couple layers of fiberglass cloth w/ filler. Be advised the cowl flaps on the -5 are different also.

I finished this version in June and very happy with the flying characteristics once a comfortable CG was determined (CG location shown on plans is way too nose heavy IMHO) and the correct propeller was selected.

NICK

SMITTY1820 11-20-2008 08:45 PM

Nick

What engine did you put in yours? I am building it as a -3 Version, just because I have never seen one in a magazine or event. I took the night off, going to hit it pretty hard this weekend - hopefully get all the stringers in and then move to the stab. I have been studying the plans and I'm trying to figure a way that I can hide the linkages in the tail which I am referring to as "The Daunting Task". this is what makes building so fun!

Nickrc3 11-20-2008 09:36 PM

Running a magneto Zenoah GT-80 w/ Slimline mufflers.
I must confess I had my reservations about this powerplant in the beginning; however, it simply needed an efficient prop and more break-in time. You will see it struggling for attitude in the "Warbirds Over Delaware 08'" video. I tried several prop sizes & manufacturer's, finally selecting a Bolly 24" X 8" spinning 6900 rpm's. An APC GT-F1 spun up to 7450! She now pulls the plane (44 lbs.) very nicely.

I personally don't get hung up on the 'hidden linkage' thing. Functionality and realiability are my priorities. If you must, gang the two elevators together with a 1/4" music wire joiner and braze a horn in the center. Drive with a single 5/16" carbon-fiber rod, 4-40 linkage and a high-quality, high-torque servo. With the rudder, build in a vertical rod (carbon-fiber or wood) fwd. of the hingeline which extends down into the fuselage. Affix a horn and install a pull-pull system, terminating at a bellcrank within the rear saddle area. Drive this bellcrank with a short 4-40 rod to another 1/4-scale servo. Cut a hatch into the rear fuse aft. tailwheel to access everything. Since the tailwheel is fixed, there's now issue with internal interference of cabling.

Try to install all the electronics as fwd. as you can. I actually moved my equipment fwd. than what the plans indicate. Keep the tail as light as possible. I recommend only contest-grade balsa for all sheeting aft. of the C.G., especially the tail feathers. Cover those with a lighweight fabric such as Nelson's Lite-Fab.

Mine took 5 lbs. of nose ballast to achieve balance; however, I did scale it out a bit with a functional tail hook, all utilities (air and electric) located in scale hatches (which is aft. the CG), functional nav lights and beacon, center and wing bombs and fully detailed cockpits.

Check out the RCSB site and several builts for really detailed explanations on linkage set-up's.

NICK

LDM 11-21-2008 02:40 PM

Smitty , not in the near future , I have always wanted one , I am about a year away from building again , now its just me bashing arfs .
I heard that KMP is coming out with one , but I love the Zirolli products

SMITTY1820 11-21-2008 07:03 PM

Thanks for the info Nick. I was actually thinking the same thing about the tail linkages. I wanted to do it similar to the way Dave Platt did it on his Macchii, pretty much the same concept, another great builder, his work is incredable. I will look at the RCSB website and look. My plan is to get everything to the point of sheeting, then sheet all the parts after, got some hours ahead of me to get that far.

Well, I am off to put on some stringers and thanks again for the info!

SMITTY1820 11-23-2008 10:53 AM

Any of you past builders of this plane have any building pictures of the stringers in the tail area? I have a good idea of how they should go, but would like a litte re-assurance.

SMITTY1820 11-27-2008 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is what she is going to look like.

SMITTY1820 11-29-2008 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the fuse all "stringered". I am in the process of sheeting the fuse and post some more pics when she's sheeted.

trae8622 01-07-2009 10:31 AM

man looking great

Evil_Merlin 01-07-2009 11:09 AM

Looking great Smitty!

I got my laser cut wood from Laser Lizard just before Christmas and the wood and cutting looks great.

devens 01-07-2009 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: SMITTY1820

I think this is what she is going to look like.

Sweet!! [8D]

mistral12 01-24-2009 11:13 AM

I am glad to see someone else taking on this beast. I have one setting in the box from lazzard also. I bought the cowl from Ziroli and found the retracts and full cockpit on ebay both for 150.00! I'm trying to finish a Corsair first before I start this monster so work out all the kinks for me. Does anyone know of a parts list for all the balsa sticks and stuff? Good luck!

SMITTY1820 01-24-2009 07:47 PM

I wish I could help you. I purchased mine thru Precision Cut Kits and it included everything. You may want to try contacting Ziroli and ask them.

I am off to get back to mine....

Fuse - complete until I get the center section of the wing complete
Center Wing - in process, had to open up the joints a bit so they were not so tight. Also, the #191 air tank from Robart has been discontinued, so I had to do some mods to the wing to get the #192 air tank from Robart that is the replacement to fit. (will have pics later)
Retracts - ordered 2 weeks ago with a 4-6 week leadtime, keeping my fingers crossed! [sm=thumbup.gif]

SMITTY1820 01-25-2009 09:28 AM

Frank,
Are you controling your Center Dive Brake? If so, can you send me a picture?

MicroRotors 01-27-2009 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Looking great Smitty!

I got my laser cut wood from Laser Lizard just before Christmas and the wood and cutting looks great.
Elvin,

How long did it take for Jessie to send it to you. I just bought one also and am trying to get a time frame to start building.

Thanks
Bill

Evil_Merlin 01-27-2009 11:03 PM

I ordered on the 15th, he shipped on the 19th and I had it on the 23rd.

FREDERIC 2K5 02-17-2009 01:08 PM

Hello Smitty;

I do not see your new construction, I am sorry because I started building my Dauntless (Kit from PCK )

Thank you for giving me your news about your work, here is the link of my building. http://forum.modelisme.com/viewtopic.php?id=170218&p=1

See you soon I hope.

Bye Fred

mistral12 02-17-2009 11:27 PM

Have you gotten your retracts yet? I have been looking on ebay no luck.