RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Lado retracts, do the really exist? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8425919-lado-retracts-do-really-exist.html)

rossaero 02-18-2010 04:18 PM

RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Does Horizon Hobby own Robart?

al

ZERO-322 02-18-2010 05:06 PM

Just because a large quanity of a certain product and product desighn exist doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't be made obsolete , with that kind of logic we'd all still be riding around in horse and buggy out of fear of putting the buggy manufactures out of business . Progress is progress if it can be done and done right by a company that can market it and sell it , your telling me that it won't be done ? why ? its not like they wouldn't be making money , and money is allot of what this country was built on

Weather robart or any other air retract company wants to face reality , electric retracts are the future , deny it if you like but you'd be living in the dark

just my two cents guys !

G-Pete 02-18-2010 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: rossaero
Does Horizon Hobby own Robart?
al
No

thedeeman 02-18-2010 08:57 PM

Didn't mean anything negative and didn't say it wouldn't be done :-). Just recognizing that Horizon was positioned best to move this tech forward (when Doug couldn't work out the customer service kinks). Yes products do become obsolete but there is a cost associated with it. Horizon doesn't make retracts so jumping into the market was easiest for them to do. Robart and others would have to change gears. Which I'm sure they will do at some point but thankfully Horizon was able to get this moved forward. This was more of a commentary regarding a major manufacturer taking the reigns so as consumers we don't have to worry about situations like many had with Doug. That's not to say Horizon doesn't mess up customer service from time to time. But it's just that a major company moving foreward with this has shown that it's an idea that finally will see it's time.

mirwin 02-18-2010 10:00 PM

I truly hope that SOMEBODY comes out with good, robust, reliable electric retracts with acceptable post-sale service and parts.  My H9 Corsair with RoboStruts has become a hangar queen, waiting on a replacement Lado actuator.  I finally got my GS P-47 wth the big Lados and RoboStruts sorted out, and am now waiting for the snow to melt.  But I'm not buying any more warbirds until good e-retracts are available.

I hope we aren't getting too excited about the Horizon Hobby e-retracts though.  Every type of retract they've provided on their ARFs to date (such as the .60 Corsair, .60 hellcat, 1.50 P-47 and 1.50 P-51) has been cheap, Chinese junk so I suspect the larger e-retracts will be too.  I hope beyond hope that I'm wrong.

P.S.:   Don't you think that a .60 size ARF is a little too big for wire mains?  I want to see e-retracts that will accomodate real struts such as RoboStruts.

Mike

thedeeman 02-18-2010 10:28 PM

Yeah, hopefully they will be smart about the struts. That was always the weak point of their kit retracts. So far specs have them at 4mm or 5mm on the mains (I can't remember which). So far they so no actuators though to retro older retracts. Have a look at an earlier post for a link to some pics.

bigtim 02-18-2010 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, it looks as though LADO is sorting out there growing pains and getting some sort of organization together, some seem to forget convienently that LADO retracts were a side project that took off in a very short amount of time,I seem to recall just a couple of years ago when the Hangar 9 P-40 thread came out the gear was just introduced to the RCU fan club.
Doug went from filling a few orders here and there to getting way over his head in a hot minute,and went from recieving praise and accolades to being derided as the worlds biggest rip off, swindler, liar,etc....many of these comments coming from people who didn't even own the products, but had plenty to say about them.

with all the sideline reporters with there opinions good or bad whipping the froth up on what they would have done, the results from them have really been pages of nothing real, and a couple of people with legit complaints who deserve some legit attention, like yourself, I would hang in there and see if they can sort this thing out, and get your gear fixed there at least trying to make a effort .

I even read a posting that stated they would swap out there LADO gear when Horizon came out with there's, having seen the pics of the horizon offerings I don't think I would do that my self,they look like the same old cheap gear with a electric motor.

looking at some mech gear from a H-9 P-40 and LADO rotators there isn't much to compare, the new ones from Horizon don't look much different that there mech gear at all

thedeeman 02-18-2010 11:02 PM

I saw the pics of the Horizon's and they actually look pretty robust. All aluminum, larger struts than their current mechanicals, heavy duty cases. Nothing like their cheapo mechanicals which are truly junk. But to their credit, I have about 3 failures of their rotating mechanicals on my corsair and hellcat just 2 months ago. And each time a quick phone call to their support netted me a new set of retracts fedexed a day or so later. And not a single $1 came out of my pocket. You just can't beat that kind of customer service.

ZERO-322 02-19-2010 12:08 AM

Big Tim , You say it seems that they are starting to sort out there growing pains ? perhaps if you or someone anyone can sort the confusing posts from lado or on lados behalf , there is this french gent comes on here and exlaims to be the new company that bought the rights to lado , he's the new distributor ? but Doug is staying on and the product and spare pars would be manufacture here in the US but if we wanted to buy a new set it would come from over seas ? what ? then there is this other guy says he's the genral manager of Lado so help me understand all this provided even if you understand it your self , because personally looks like a allot of confusion and no one from suppose Lado is clearing anything up , or answering direct questions that have been asked both on this thread and others as to the direction of this company and future plans

TOMAPOWA 02-19-2010 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

Big Tim , You say it seems that they are starting to sort out there growing pains ? perhaps if you or someone anyone can sort the confusing posts from lado or on lados behalf , there is this french gent comes on here and exlaims to be the new company that bought the rights to lado , he's the new distributor ? but Doug is staying on and the product and spare pars would be manufacture here in the US but if we wanted to buy a new set it would come from over seas ? what ? then there is this other guy says he's the genral manager of Lado so help me understand all this provided even if you understand it your self , because personally looks like a allot of confusion and no one from suppose Lado is clearing anything up , or answering direct questions that have been asked both on this thread and others as to the direction of this company and future plans
ZERO-322 ... my point exactly. I asked these similar questions last week.... and again this week... still no answers.... [:o]

I repeat them again for the Lado/E-retract folks...

1) Who is going to be CNC'ing the parts?
2) Who is going to be assembling the retracts?
3) Who in the US will be selling the retracts?
4) When are retracts going to be available for sale again?
5) What's up with this "Lado by E-Retract" French connection? (no mention on website)

and lastly... if we ever shall see lados again... what we'll be the new revised price??

bigtim 02-19-2010 12:38 AM

truth is after reading the french dudes posts I couldn't understand what he was trying to say, other than they have purchased or are purchasing the rights to produce LADO retracts,as many have posted there has been some updates to the website here is the latest.

February 16 2010:

We are happy to announce that we are in the final stages of the sale of LADO. The new owners are very excited and eager to get production going again. The sales for the US and Canada market will still be handled right here at lado-tech.net.

This new ownership will bring some exciting improvements that we know you will enjoy. Such as:

• Spare parts for sale, which will enable you to repair your Retracts
• New products and features are under development with planned release dates in the coming year
• Improved after sales service and stock issues

As always, manufacturing will stay in the United States, Doug the development engineer; will stay a valuable part of the Lado Team, ensuring your access to cutting edge technology.

If you have a pending order please continue to contact either [email protected] or [email protected] as we will be filling all pending back orders.

We will have more information soon about product availability and placing new orders.

I personally haven't talked to Doug in quite some time, considering how ferell this thred has gotten, and his personal lack of comunication issues there has been more forward, or sideways movement lately than in quite some time.

based on this posting its why I suggested to mike hang in there and see if this fleshes its self out, I would be willing to buy more gear from LADO if they could start performing like a legit company instead of the disjointed, haphazard way, its been going.

owning a company that is as small as it is, if I were to get sick or unable to work constantly, everything would grind to a rapid halt untill I was back at it.
more often than not if I am not always hands on, I am loosing money,let me tell ya its a burn out, so I usually shut it down for a couple of months in the winter for head space regeneration, which consists of model building,playing with my boys, and surfing as much as I can, mabee a little snow boarding if buisness was good:D.

not a excuse for Dougs actions just a fact of having a tiny operation, trying to grow too fast, and taking on too much work, unless your living in a bubble LADO consisted of Doug, his wife,and father in law,thats what I call tiny.

ZERO-322 02-19-2010 01:09 AM

I share in your optimism , and believe me when I say I was and still am a HUGE Lado supporter , but everything that has transpired in the past 6 months would give any die hard supporter reason for concern and question what's going on , the conception of this thread basically asked that very question in not so many words , what's going on ? three years later and there is still no definate answer to that, the most important question of all

product wise Lados are second to none hopefully they can achieve a customer service model that can boast the same claim , time will tell

Mike

G-Pete 02-19-2010 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TOMAPOWA

ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

ZERO-322 ... my point exactly. I asked these similar questions last week.... and again this week... still no answers.... [:o]

I repeat them again for the Lado/E-retract folks...

5) What's up with this ''Lado by E-Retract'' French connection? (no mention on website)

and lastly... if we ever shall see lados again... what we'll be the new revised price??

More or less NOTHING has changed - just two guys in France who TRY to sell them.

Quote:
We are happy to announce that we are in the final stages of the sale of LADO. The new owners are very excited and eager to get production going again. The sales for the US and Canada market will still be handled right here at lado-tech.net.

This is the website statement, haha, same man, same machine, same joint :eek:

Come on.....................................

christophe31 02-19-2010 09:39 AM

Hi guy's !!!
so i repeat what i've already says,
We ( Stephane and Me ) are the new owner of this company.

we don't try to sell the retract, we will sell them!!!!

the new cutting company wasn't Lado, Doug lacks the capabilities of produce as many retract as needed.
so we're finalizing with an bigger cutter company.

the retract was sold on Ladotech.net website, and other website/store for the US market, and you will found them in your town store if they ask us.

if all goes right they're available very very soon ( maybe less... :) ) and the price will be, like i've already says, should remain identical.

seeing other e-retract manufacturer was normal.You're flying with plane buid by many different company ... and it's not a problem. but they're many different way to produce the retract system, and even if Doug missed his customer services, he has since 2007 a superior experiment as other manufacturer in this domain, that the reason why you'll see again The Lado e-Retract on market.

like we have says , things goes on the good way, many customers will receive soon their order, we take care about that, and parts will be available soon too on the both website.

be patient , we work hard ....it's for you!!!!

enjoy!! ;)

G-Pete 02-19-2010 10:06 AM

Alright, the french guys will sell them - but other then that, still nothing has changed....:D:D:D:D:D:D

TOMAPOWA 02-19-2010 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: christophe31

Hi guy's !!!

the new cutting company wasn't Lado, Doug lacks the capabilities of produce as many retract as needed.

the retract was sold on Ladotech.net website, and other website/store for the US market, and you will found them in your town store if they ask us.

if all goes right they're available very very soon ( maybe less... :) ) and the price will be, like i've already says, should remain identical.

seeing other e-retract manufacturer was normal.You're flying with plane buid by many different company ... and it's not a problem. but they're many different way to produce the retract system, and even if Doug missed his customer services, he has since 2007 a superior experiment as other manufacturer in this domain, that the reason why you'll see again The Lado e-Retract on market.

like we have says , things goes on the good way, many customers will receive soon their order, we take care about that, and parts will be available soon too on the both website.

enjoy!! ;)

Maybe it's me but my head hurts reading that.... [&o]

So, to recap my questions (please let me know where I am wrong... seeing I had to decipher these answers):

Sounds like they will be "cut" over in Europe.... right?

Still not sure on this question... maybe over in Europe too?

Still not sure but sounds like many might sell, incl. lado-tech.com

Quoted: "they're available very very soon ( maybe less... :) )" LOL... an estimated date would be so much better!

5) What's up with this ''Lado by E-Retract'' French connection? (no mention on website)
So why has the Lado site not mention anything re: E-Retract??? Especially if they are the new "owner" ???

As for price, you mentioned two different prices (one almost $100 more than the other). What will be the real US price in US dollars?

christophe31,
I don't want to come across like I am picking on you but why did it take over a week to get these simple questions answered??

Joespeeder 02-19-2010 10:33 AM

Hey Jeromy and Christopher,

As a Lado owner that waited 5+ months for my retracts, I am supporter of his product. However, as a business owner of a family business for over 20 years with 12 of those years of running a very successful business with my father/business partner fighting health issues that required 6 major surgeries and 13 trips to Houston, Tx from our home in Michigan, I'm not still 100% on whats up at Lado.

If you've followed this thread you know I mentioned regular updates on the order number of the current order filled and that fell flat. I also tried in a polite way to tell Doug that he had the ability to straighten a lot of this out by using the power of his posting on the home page. Current updates and real info would have gone along way from keeping this getting out of hand like it did.

I understand better than most the demands of running a family business when health issues change your plans and the only thing I can say is Jeremy and Christopher need to get out in front of this wave. Lado is a web based company and their customer base communicates thought these forums. Open/Transparent communication is needed to advance this process forward. Regular updates on the website showing where they are and where they are going needs to be job one for rebuilding the goodwill of the business.

It's a sad commentary, but some people need to shown some sort of detail about the owners illness before they believe you're really trying or working hard when you're dealing with the problems health can create in a small business. Once a client heard my father was having one of his colon, liver, liver, liver, lung, or kidney surgeries or that he was in for chemo or radiation they knew right away what we were dealing with and became very supportive. I really don't care about the details of Doug's medical history but I've seen posts here calling him a liar about having health issues. I just wish everyone good health and wish Doug well. You'd be surprised how supportive customers can be with some basic info. In fact, once you say I have an issue they feel uncomfortable that they asked and realize it's more than they needed to know. At this point, I think we are well beyond those details. Just knowing Doug is well and keeping healthy is enough.

So here we are getting info from California and France on what's going on..... I really like my Lado's and would like to get more when needed. Jeremy and Christopher, please coordinated your actions, post regular consistent updates on your progress of pending orders and then new, use the power of your web site and these forums. In my case customers could walk through the door you don't have that luxury. Perception is reality and repairing the reputation is going to take more communication than normal business would. Clear concise info.....

I always trained my staff to imagine they were the customer. When you present something imagine the first question you'd ask as the customer and answer it in your presentation or be ready to answer it with alternate quotes, info, or proposals. Whatever's needed... If you'd feel like you had questions then the customer does also and just isn't telling you. Well designed communication will mean posters on these forums will reference your info for answers rather than making up answers of their own.

I wish you guys the best and look forward to watching your progress.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com

show871 02-19-2010 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: TOMAPOWA

ORIGINAL: christophe31

Hi guy's !!!

enjoy!! ;)

Maybe it's me but my head hurts reading that.... [&o]

So, to recap my questions (please let me know where I am wrong... seeing I had to decipher these answers):

Sounds like they will be ''cut'' over in Europe.... right?

Still not sure on this question... maybe over in Europe too?

Still not sure but sounds like many might sell, incl. lado-tech.com

Quoted: ''they're available very very soon ( maybe less... :) )'' LOL... an estimated date would be so much better!

So why has the Lado site not mention anything re: E-Retract??? Especially if they are the new ''owner'' ???

As for price, you mentioned two different prices (one almost $100 more than the other). What will be the real US price in US dollars?

christophe31,
I don't want to come across like I am picking on you but why did it take over a week to get these simple questions answered??
Maybe he does not want to respond to you, did you ever consider that? Why dont you quit the stalking and relax, give them some time to get things figured out. Its pretty obvious your trying to hinder his efforts to improve the company, nothing happens overnight. I got great communication from christophe31.

show871 02-19-2010 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder

I always trained my staff to imagine they were the customer. When you present something imagine the first question you'd ask as the customer and answer it in your presentation or be ready to answer it with alternate quotes, info, or proposals. Whatever's needed... If you'd feel like you had questions then the customer does also and just isn't telling you. Well designed communication will mean posters on these forums will reference your info for answers rather than making up answers of their own.

Joe

+1

TOMAPOWA 02-19-2010 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: show871
Maybe he does not want to respond to you, did you ever consider that? Why dont you quit the stalking and relax, give them some time to get things figured out. Its pretty obvious your trying to hinder his efforts to improve the company, nothing happens overnight. I got great communication from christophe31.
Huh? They are not responding to OUR questions here... not just mine.

"Stalking"?? A little harse I think no? Since when does asking questions for clarification become stalking? [X(] Come on now...

If you had such good communications with them, maybe you can tell us who plans to cut, assemble and sell the retracts, when and how much?

rodneygt 02-19-2010 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder

Hey Jeromy and Christopher,

As a Lado owner that waited 5+ months for my retracts, I am supporter of his product. However, as a business owner of a family business for over 20 years with 12 of those years of running a very successful business with my father/business partner fighting health issues that required 6 major surgeries and 13 trips to Houston, Tx from our home in Michigan, I'm not still 100% on whats up at Lado.

If you've followed this thread you know I mentioned regular updates on the order number of the current order filled and that fell flat. I also tried in a polite way to tell Doug that he had the ability to straighten a lot of this out by using the power of his posting on the home page. Current updates and real info would have gone along way from keeping this getting out of hand like it did.

I understand better than most the demands of running a family business when health issues change your plans and the only thing I can say is Jeremy and Christopher need to get out in front of this wave. Lado is a web based company and their customer base communicates thought these forums. Open/Transparent communication is needed to advance this process forward. Regular updates on the website showing where they are and where they are going needs to be job one for rebuilding the goodwill of the business.

It's a sad commentary, but some people need to shown some sort of detail about the owners illness before they believe you're really trying or working hard when you're dealing with the problems health can create in a small business. Once a client heard my father was having one of his colon, liver, liver, liver, lung, or kidney surgeries or that he was in for chemo or radiation they knew right away what we were dealing with and became very supportive. I really don't care about the details of Doug's medical history but I've seen posts here calling him a liar about having health issues. I just wish everyone good health and wish Doug well. You'd be surprised how supportive customers can be with some basic info. In fact, once you say I have an issue they feel uncomfortable that they asked and realize it's more than they needed to know. At this point, I think we are well beyond those details. Just knowing Doug is well and keeping healthy is enough.

So here we are getting info from California and France on what's going on..... I really like my Lado's and would like to get more when needed. Jeremy and Christopher, please coordinated your actions, post regular consistent updates on your progress of pending orders and then new, use the power of your web site and these forums. In my case customers could walk through the door you don't have that luxury. Perception is reality and repairing the reputation is going to take more communication than normal business would. Clear concise info.....

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com

I agree Joe. The general wait sucked. The regular moving back of the projected delivery date was frustrating. The communications were not so good. But the product was nice.

I do hope they get their ducks in order.

Just for perspective, I'm getting a similar run around now out of another relatively small but more well known rc company. I haven't decided whether I will cancel my order with that company or see if they eventually come through (I sourced a similar product elsewhere and don't particularly need theirs anymore although I wouldn't mind having it). To this point, they've told me they were about to make a batch of the part that I ordered on three separate occasions - each occasion separated by at least one week - I called them three times last month - I haven't called them in about a month. While I know that company has given me inaccurate information, I do not believe that they ever ran my cc number. . . and at least they answer the phone to misinform me.

Rodney

ZERO-322 02-19-2010 08:27 PM

Show I don't think Tom is stalking anyone go back and read my post 1241 I think and you'll see he's not alone in feeling confused I am to, and would equally like some of these questions answered they hold merit IMO
being that you stated you had a positive experience perhaps you would like to share what happened , it may shed some light on the above mentioned confusion , or perhaps you could share with us anything you may know yourself ?

Larry3215 02-19-2010 08:43 PM

I am happy to post that christophe, and Jeremy @ lado went out of there way to get my situation resolved finally! Lado is truly making strides to be on top of there game, and make changes for the better!

I agree with Zero. Tomopowa isnt stalking anyone. I asked pretty much the same questions and didnt get answered either.

By the way - I also asked you what exactly happened for you - twice - and you havent answered me either.

Instead of bashing guys asking legit questions - pass along the details on the good stuff that they did for you.

show871 02-19-2010 11:20 PM

I dont disagree questions need to be answered, I was blown off for four months! But after a major restructure maybe they simply dont have the answers yet. At least give them time to firm up a gameplan before expecting info like who is going to CNC the parts? assembly? I was just happy Lado did'nt go under cause they owed me 200 bucks! I got my money back, and got great help from Jeremy and Christophe. Im not bashing its obvious Tomopowa is trying to hold back lado, I sure would'nt answer to someone posting like him either. This is not cool because alot of people want lado to succed, and be around to provide service to their current & future customers like myself!

Larry, and zero.....PM me if you like, I dont know what else there is to say....I though I was being nice letting people know I got my issue resolved!

TOMAPOWA 02-20-2010 12:42 AM

I'm not out for any one's head... trust me, I'm not like that. I just want to see them get off on a good foot... and fix what ever issues they have. I can only imagine how difficult this is to do after what just went down w/ the old Lado. If their prices increase though, they will ultimately put themselves out of business... that's my main worry.

Good to also hear you got settled with a refund (maybe should had mentioned that in your previous post). Sounds like no one has received anything since just before the 2009 holidays then ...

I dont disagree questions need to be answered, I was blown off for four months! But after a major restructure maybe they simply dont have the answers yet. At least give them time to firm up a gameplan before expecting info like who is going to CNC the parts? assembly? I was just happy Lado did'nt go under cause they owed me 200 bucks! I got my money back, and got great help from Jeremy and Christophe. Im not bashing its obvious Tomopowa is trying to hold back lado, I sure would'nt answer to someone posting like him either. This is not cool because alot of people want lado to succed, and be around to provide service to their current & future customers like myself!

Larry, and zero.....PM me if you like, I dont know what else there is to say....I though I was being nice letting people know I got my issue resolved!