RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Doss Stead P-51 Mustang (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/843243-doss-stead-p-51-mustang.html)

GSNut 10-20-2003 09:17 AM

RE: Re: gear drawings

Just got a reply from Ultra-Precision on my inquriy about the Steed's P51D retracts. As I asked for this on going discussions benefit and my own, here is what he had to say..

("Doug
Thank you for your enquiry. We do make a landing gear for the Doss Steed P51. It is a heavy duty design using 1 inch dia cylinders and with the leg in the correct position. All our retracts are built to order and take about 2 months from order to delivery. The cost of the P51 mains is $650.00 US plus delivery. We could also supply a tail retract but I do not have a price on that yet.
Regards,
Philip Soden")

Hope this helps some of us that are interested in building this warbird.

GSNUT = Doug

Forgues Research 10-29-2003 10:19 AM

Are the original plans still availlable? I woould love to get a copy from the one who posted.

I would love to have a look at the gear drawings, since my business does some machining, I might be able to do it. But if Ultra Precision has them, that might be the way to go. He is only a 150 miles from me.

Forgues Research 10-29-2003 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a nice prop/engine setup for this mustang.

BobH 10-29-2003 11:37 AM

I'm glad to see that some one contacted Phil about his gear. I have seen them in the flesh some years ago and they are just super!!!.. Now.. any more info on a laser cut kit??... BobH.

RickVB 10-29-2003 01:35 PM

Roger, will you stop doing that? Who the heck makes this, how can we get it, and how much is it?

Forgues Research 10-29-2003 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: RickVB

Roger, will you stop doing that? Who the heck makes this, how can we get it, and how much is it?

You mean the girl?:)

Joe Boyd is developing a reduction drive with scale blades, I'm just helping out the best I can.
No price yet, but soon.

Forgues Research 11-05-2003 04:15 PM

Would the guy from Toronto who contacted me about the Steed Mustang plans, please contact me. I need to discuss it with you.

Thank you
Roger

RickVB 02-28-2004 01:31 AM

Re: gear drawings

Update: I now have *TWO* of the Holman kits for/with the Steed plans. (Lucky, ain't I? :D ) The main reason I purchased the second kit is that I had thought this one had a *COMPLETE* plan set. The good news is that I now have 1 through 6 of the six main building plan sheets, and all five of the detail sheets, along with the aformentioned and seemingly otherwise unknown exhaust and spinner detail drawings.

The bad news is that the previously missing main sheet six is Landing Gear INSTALLATION. This is what I think the rest of you guys were referring to as the "landing gear plans". If you look at main sheet one, it lists as plans sold separately:
[ul][*] Building Plans[*] Plans for scale landing gear including tail wheel[*] Plans for Scale Cockpit[*]Three View drawings for Documentation.
[/ul]
I also have one extra drawing, Tail Wheel Installation #7 of 7, which I believe is the last of the landing gear set. It doesn't sound like any of you have this set, or the cockpit set. Am I right?

By the way, the guy I bought this from hasn't talked to Doss since 1993, so he was no help there...

GSNut 02-28-2004 08:07 AM

Rick!!

Your are absolutely correct as in refering to exactly what I have..

As I would love to fill my set of the plans to include what you have is there a way to get copies of the sheets that I am short ?

I can supply you with the email address of someone who can do the copy work up to 42 inches wide. He does very good reliable work (and only uses acid free paper). I have done business with him before and can give him good references. Or even Kinko's would be OK though they only have machines that do 36 inches wide. I had my 1/3rd Scale Pitts S2A done at Kinko's a couple of weeks ago an they only charged me $ 25.00 for 3 sets of those plans over 50 feet in length in total. Not to bad I'd say....

Seems the manager here in North Denver is a R/Cer also..which certinly helps when it comes to the charges.

If you want his name and Addy please email me at [email protected] I should be happy to PayPal or send a Money Order to cover the amount and shipping of the extra sheets. Heheh..of course within reason but when your beggin ?

Will be ready to start burning balsa and wood with in 60 days as I should have the new workshop done by then..hopefully.

Thanks !!

RickVB 02-28-2004 10:36 AM

GS, I wouldn't be apposed to such a loan. I'd need to know what your missing, though. Viper16, if your still out there, can you tell us *exactly* how many sheets you have in your set?

viper16 02-28-2004 11:10 AM

Here's what I have for plans
Building sections
1:main side view fuse drawing
2:fuse formers 0-9 and wing ribs 0-22
3:wing building jig and formers 10-17
4:stab section
5:wing layout
6:landing gear, gear doors, and installation
7:tailwheel section
Drawing sections
1:L and R side profiles
2:Front and topdown view
3:Bottom view, exhaust
4:General hatch,aileron,and various other details
5:Gun ports and leading edge details
6:Prop and hub drawing

GSNut 02-28-2004 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RickVB

GS, I wouldn't be apposed to such a loan. I'd need to know what your missing, though. Viper16, if your still out there, can you tell us *exactly* how many sheets you have in your set?

RickVB...

What is needed here is the following as per your list, these are the ones that I don't have.

To make a full set with what I have would be the following..

1. Plans for scale landing gear including tail wheel

2. Plans for Scale Cockpit

3. Three View drawings for Documentation.

4. Tail Wheel Installation #7 of 7,

WOW!! Just caught Viper16s list and as near as possible there is a lot of information yet needed to complete the whole thing..
Although some of it is not needed to build from, but would still be nice to have..

This from Viper16 list is what I don't have and would just suppose that it's what is missing from the other members plan sets also.

7:tailwheel section

Then in the Drawing sections:

1:L and R side profiles
2:Front and topdown view
3:Bottom view, exhaust
4:General hatch,aileron,and various other details
5:Gun ports and leading edge details
6:Prop and hub drawing

Will print this out and inventory what I do have which I know is six sheets..will be checking for the stab and the wing jig. Is that what all the other members have also?

email to: [email protected]

and will furnish any pertanient facts or other items you may need.

Thanks Rick..

RickVB 02-28-2004 06:48 PM

Re: gear drawings

Viper, you have exactly what I have now. So we still have the mysteries of the cockpit detail and gear (construction?) sheets. Guess we still need to find Mr. Steed...

AKMac 04-10-2004 11:09 PM

Any updates guys? If this truly is the most detailed mustang made, then it's a shame that it's support is essentially dead. Surly everyone here could get it going again...right?

GSNut 04-11-2004 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: AKMac

Any updates guys?

Tentitive Plans at the moment are to finalize the construction of the Scratch 3rd scale Pitts S2A and test fly it. Just have to install & test fit aileron servos then cover the wings. Am doing the set up and weights and balances as I go along. Also am just below projected dry weight of 17.5 lbs on this G62 powered Pitts.

Then the P51D's wing and fusealage jigs will be fabricated and construction can begin on mine.... As there is no basic frame work involved in the fusealage it will be covered with lightweight fiberglas as will the wing, stab and rudder. Will need to sell one of the motorcycles to pay for the landing gear and new engine.

Anybody know of the availability of a canopy of suitable size and quality to mount on this warbird?

SCALECRAFT 04-11-2004 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All

Holman also offers a very scale B Taylor 69"span P-51. If it falls short of your eye for scale, one can change what they don't like.

It looks like this. Around $250.

Just for an option and info:

RickVB 04-12-2004 05:07 PM

What it falls short of is 11" of wingspan. ;)

JoeEagle 04-12-2004 09:29 PM

RE: gear drawings

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I spent a lot of time talking with Jim Cline, who is a good friend of Doss Steed. If you cannot find him, let me know and i'll call up Jim and check on him.

I wonder if Darrell at Sierra would make a set of gear like Doss's.

and for a scale prop, how about this website?

www.warbirdpropdrives.com

cheers

JoeEagle

AKMac 04-12-2004 11:39 PM

Joe, I know a few that replied to this thread are looking to contact Doss. You may want to ask them.

I've seen your scale prop drive and I'm extremely impressed. Do you think it would be possible to add a scale exhaust, and maybe even a starter hooked up to the belt drive? Even if you couldn't, it would still be the best powerplant combo for a Steed P-51 or any other warbird out there.

GSNut - Good luck with your 51! Keep us updated. As for the canopy, I'm pretty sure you could vacuum form one if you don't find a production unit.

RickVB 04-13-2004 10:19 PM

Joe,

By all means, if you have a contact possibility, use it. No one here has been able to make contact in over a year of efforts.

JoeEagle 04-13-2004 11:21 PM

well, im out of town right now, but when i get back friday at 5am i'll give jim cline a call to see if he can hook me up to mr. steed. who knows, perhaps he still has plans available for sale, and we can all buy them from him.

as for scale exhaust, i believe that karl reinbold of bold mufflers is now making a scale exhaust, with the all important header. i am talking with DA on my header/muffler, and may also go to karl. Karl is a super nice guy, and will bend over backwards to help you out.

as for the starter, i spoke with some people at Toledo and they indicated that they would help me with this as well.

im working it, it's just that this day job gets in the way!!!

cheers

joe

thanks for the comments on the drive and prop. as for props, we are working on making a new prop with a different airfoil, and some other, "interesting" ideas.

more to follow

tomorrow, UAV's!!! cool!!

RickVB 04-18-2004 10:02 PM

Joe, did you get ahold of your friend? We're all waiting to hear with bated breath...

JoeEagle 05-13-2004 12:42 PM

sorry.

i forgot that i'm supposed to follow up on this. i'll contact jim.

cheers

joe

ps, if you don't hear back in 2 weeks (im going on vacation) let me know and i'll retry.

cheers

joe

www.warbirdpropdrives.com

Dave Presta 05-13-2004 06:07 PM

Rick, I have a brand new ZDZ 80 and a RCS 75 still in the box if you are looking for a good powerplant. They both come with the electronic ignition, let me know if you are interested.

Dave

RickVB 05-13-2004 11:23 PM

Dave, you thinkin' of my Mustang or my Sea Fury? :D Not sure what precipitated this offer, but I don't think I'm looking for a power plant for either of those planes yet, as start of construction for either will almost certainly be at least Winter '05. Now if I came across a 3W inline twin, I could probably be tempted at any time...