RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Doss Stead P-51 Mustang (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/843243-doss-stead-p-51-mustang.html)

CoosBayLumber 10-09-2005 08:37 PM

RE: Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Had been much interest into this model recently. Bob Holman and I are currently working on a set of laser cut wing ribs to go along with the fiberglass fuselage. Contact him directly if interested, for there are a couple of reservations already. It is much simplier to cut and ship several sets than one at a time.

Wm.

rmcc 10-24-2005 07:56 PM

Just an update. I sent Mr. Steed a money order for $100.00 for the P-51D Plans. He kindly sent me a letter back that the Plans were now $140.00 along with his phone number. I sent him another $40.00 and called him to tell him. He said he would send the plans today, without waiting for the additional money to arrive.

Mr. Steed also said that he is considering producing accessories for the P-51D Mustang if there is enough interest. Please keep those letters and phone calls coming. Mr. Steed is a very nice man. I think he just needs a little encouragement. That is all.

Bob

RickVB 12-14-2005 02:19 PM

Hey, guys, has anyone actually done anything with these plans/kits yet? Doug, have you started yours yet?

And what's the status of Doss' operation?

Forgues Research 12-14-2005 04:00 PM

I have also purchased the larger version of the P-51 plans from Doss. This is the 1/4 scale verson with 111" wing span, absolutely awesome. The engine that I'm considering for this airplane is the EVO 150 inline with a reduction drive. After speaking at length with Doss, he also thinks that this would be the perfect engine for it.

After running the EVO 80 today, I was totally blown away with its power, very impressive, so the 150 should be awesome.

Roger

GSNut 12-14-2005 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RickVB

Hey, guys, has anyone actually done anything with these plans/kits yet? Doug, have you started yours yet?

Hi, Rick...

Had mine blowen up to 101 in..

Once I get the fin and horizontal on and filleted in will glass with those, Then will start on the built up wing...that is, when I get the green stamps for the L.G., engine and the incidentals. Management says no more purchases this year...:(:( not even glue..duh

Just the minor stuff. :eek::eek:

It's hell being creative, donchakno.

Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas All !!

Doug

F106A 12-14-2005 04:25 PM

Rick,
I'm waiting to see if Doss makes the l/g and accessories available before I start mine. Last I heard he was waiting to see how much demand there is before making the Fuse, L/g, canopy and the f/g accessories.
BRG,
Jon

Robinaire 12-14-2005 04:39 PM

Hi Doug; The GSNut sounded familiar (self-evaluation maybe!!) Were you one of the guys who was to put me into touch with Doss? Everyone seems to have his number except me!! I used to buy rough fork blanks from him some years back, and when I tried to find him a while back, I had lost the address and phone number, and couldn't remember where he lived. Then I caught his name on this thread and have been trying to get to him for about 3 months! Can anybody help with a phone #??? Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach, FL.

F106A 12-14-2005 07:46 PM

Sent you a PM.

GSNut 12-14-2005 09:38 PM

That's me.. Lee..

I don't have his number either..guess someone does though. Maybe they will be along here sooner or later..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Doug

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

Hi Doug; The GSNut sounded familiar (self-evaluation maybe!!) Were you one of the guys who was to put me into touch with Doss? Everyone seems to have his number except me!! I used to buy rough fork blanks from him some years back, and when I tried to find him a while back, I had lost the address and phone number, and couldn't remember where he lived. Then I caught his name on this thread and have been trying to get to him for about 3 months! Can anybody help with a phone #??? Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach, FL.

F106A 12-14-2005 10:33 PM

Hi,
I posted Doss's address in the other thread about his Mustang.
He asked me not to post his phone number as he doesn't want to deal with a whole bunch of calls. He said if someone is really interested in the P-51 they can drop him a letter.
BRG,
Jon

rmcc 07-29-2006 12:14 AM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a set of Doss Steed P-51 retracts they are willing to sell? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob McCormack

p51dnut 09-05-2006 03:23 PM

i remember when i first came acrooss this over 3 yrs ago is there any update on the kit or where i can get the plans thanks jimmy

Seafury 09-19-2006 02:08 PM

I purchased The fibreglass fuse, foam core wings and landing gear last year on RCU. It is a great looking model. The gear is scale in how it bolts to a rib and not rails among the other details. Byrons is also close. I will check my plans and get back to you on that.

RickVB 09-19-2006 06:26 PM

Hey Seafury, can you post some pictures of the gear?

Seafury 09-19-2006 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have some on my notebook from the purchase. I'm not sure if they were built from the plans or by Dos. I was told the kit was 99" and it certainly looks that big. It also came with a bunch of ABS parts. Cockpit, guns etc. Resin moulded static prop and spinner.

Robinaire 09-20-2006 05:27 PM

Hello Bob, and all others. I finally got to talk to Doss today, and did we ever talk! More than an hour on the phone! First 15 minutes were largely "catching up" on some bygone days! Doss is not in the best of health, and has been in a low ebb since his wife died of cancer about 3 years ago. Any of you who have talked to him probably noriced a somewhat lethargic talk. But by the time we got done, with him explaining about the plans, etc. we got into the gear. We went over everything, from the castings (he's sending me some of the forks I need) and other parts, even beyond the gear. The upshot of it all is that I will be going up to see Doss sometime next month, and I may be building his gear. We spent a long time going over some of the details and problems with building the gear, but it looks like a very doable thing. As soon as we get it all worked out. you will all be informed of the status. So those of you wondering whether to get plans, or not, GO GET 'EM!! He is set up with a computerized publishing outfit, with everything on disc and can respond to your plan needs very quickly. I believe I got Doss to rev up some enthusiasm at the prospect of not carrying the full load! Will keep the thread informed on progress. Lee Robinson

luckyy 10-09-2006 09:09 PM

i have a doss stead for sale p 51 mustang you can call me anytime. Bill Squillace $7.500 772-971-9100

Seafury 10-11-2006 08:48 PM

Tell us more about the plane Bill . Any pictures?

luckyy 10-12-2006 10:37 PM

I will try to get some pics for you soon. I got this plane local. The guy I got it from had it hanging in his bedroom for years I think? He said it was built for top gun years ago. I flew it but was not happy with the engine it had an old 3w 60 or 70 . I just put a zdz 80 in it. Had to cut the bottom cowl a bit. Other then that I did not no what I had till I did a little research. I cant find another one any where. Have you ever seen one in person? Give me some details Thanks Lucky

AlexFrench 02-26-2007 01:29 AM

Hi, Have been following your post, just wanted to add, have you seen this add:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=264461
I have a Pica Mustang with a 3W 80, also with all the gear it weighs in at 30 lbs.
Just a thought, what about the new DA85 it would fit and has lots of HP.

GSNut 07-04-2008 09:35 PM

Well Fellow Mustangers....

Just came from the other forum (ahem) with some unsubstanciated items..
1. I got the impression that Doss Steed had died... when I don't know !
2. I also got the impression that Mike C. was not able to purchase the rights from Doss and the deal fell through.

Can anyone clarify those two items inquiring minds would like to know ?

Anyone have Bob Holmans phone nr....? need to order wing ribs for the Mustang.....??
Never Mine I got it will just have to see... how much is acceptable I just may have a set cut.

Holmans' phone # is:

Cheers

GSNUT - DinD

t_burley 07-04-2008 09:47 PM

yes, Doss passed a year or so back
No Mike didnt secure the rights to Doss' plans.

other than that, your on your own

GSNut 07-04-2008 10:14 PM

Thanks for the Comeback Todd..

Am very sorry to hear that Doss is not on this level anymore !
My best to his family and close friends.

Just makes me more determined to continue on with what I have on hand if at all possible.
I've done more with nothing before so am ahead on that side of it.... least I got a Saxon/Steed fibreglass fuselage and the plans.

Will call Bob Holman and see what he has to offer.

Like Johnny Cash sang " I got it one peice at at time. "

My Best Todd and again Thank You !

Cheers

GSNUT / DinD

t_burley 07-04-2008 10:18 PM

your best bet with Bob is calling him. he does not have everything he
sells listed on his site.

I also know you have been talking with "3-point" at RCSB in the thread
we have there. he has about as much info if not a little more than I.

His freind he talks about was freinds with Doss.

Robinaire 07-05-2008 08:25 AM

Hi Doug, Todd et al. First time I have been back here for some time. As some of you may know, I dealt with Doss for a number of years, buying his rough cast forks. The last 2 times we spoke on the phone, largely a bunch of reminiscences between 2 "ancient ones", and also dicussing building his gear. At that time, he wasn't sure if he wanted to build the gear himself again, and if he did, I wouldn't compete with him. Unfortunately, his passing put that all in limbo. I have never seen plans for his gear, and only saw a couple of not too distinct pics. I have no idea how to get in touch with his family to find the status of things. I'd still like to see the gear plans to see if I could make them. but haven't found any yet. Anybody have a copy? Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach.