RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   House of Balsa T6 Texan build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8622295-house-balsa-t6-texan-build.html)

CastorTroy2150 03-27-2009 02:04 PM

House of Balsa T6 Texan build

Has anyone uilt one of these? Just ordered one and looking for some info possible.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM397&P=0

Looking to put some retracts and flaps on it. sheet it fully for the wing and making a cowel (not to keen on a 2 liter one haha. may make a fiberglass mold and do it that way.. Seen a lot of P-51s from HOB built on here and built thier FW-190, which flys like a bat outta heck lol. Any help would be great! thanks. Pics or if anyone else has this model and would like to build along that would be GREAT too. Thanks, should be here nby mid next week.

Spychalla Aircraft 03-28-2009 07:36 AM

RE: House of Balsa T6 Texan build

1 Attachment(s)
My son Zach built me an HOB AT-6 many years ago. I remember that it had 1 deg. of wash-out in each wingtip. I Flew it for about 2 years and then sold it. It is a snap happy airplane. It takes little to nothing to snap this airplane at low speeds. Fun little airplane but the hand launch is scary. You have to have a good head wind and a perfect throw or you will crash it. I think if you add retracts it will get heavier and be even worse. I tumbled mine once and ripped the wing off. My son smashed one he build for himself at least twice due to the snap. I eventually got out of it in favor of some small electric warbirds. We fly a lot and my personal opinion is that it was not a very good flying airplane. It has no slow speed characteristics. It always has to be moving fast to stay alive.

Mine was Magnum .15 powered with Hitec HS-80 servos throughout. It had a functional rudder on it. I made a fiberglass mold and cowling, but unfortunately sold it all at an auction a few years back so I don't have the mold anymore. Good luck on your project. Leo

BobH 03-28-2009 09:54 AM

I built one several years and Leo is correct. It's a plane that you need to pay attention while flying! We used them for racing with an OS15. Our club built 12 or 14 of them and we had pylon racing events. Three lined abreast on the ground and then take off and race!!

DavidAgar 03-28-2009 10:01 AM

I have had a couple of these planes. I have not had any issue's with snaps at all. The only knock that I have with mine is take off. They will ground loop almost all the time as you apply power. I have to hold the tail and bring up the power to full and then let it go. Once airbourn, it fly's great. I would also say that adding retracts would add a lot of weight and making room for the servo might be tight. Good Luck, Dave

mgnostic 03-28-2009 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had one, maybe 10 years ago. I enjoyed it enough that I still consider building another. I flew mine with an ASP .25. It will snap but only if you over do it on the elevator. It wasn't any worse than any of the 1/12 scale fighters I've flown. Mine would snap out of the top of a loop if I pulled too much elevator. You can hand launch it so you could fly with no landing gear and no rudder if you wanted to build it light. Mine had the gear and rudder. Take offs were typical tail dragger. The build was very straight forward. I flew mine regularly for several years. It did a pretty cool knife edge and the high speed passes on the deck were awesome. I thought I had a better picture. For a while it did duty as an office decoration.

paladin 03-28-2009 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Castor, I’ve built two and bought two of the china copies. I’ve never had a problem with snapping on any of them and I’ve flown it with everything from an .09 to a hot .25. mine all flew in combat. To get the E throw correct we would put in double what the mfr recommended then do a full E loop and keep backing off on the E till it will track all the way through. Once done these babies were a lot of fun. While I was doing 704 combat I was catapulting them to leave the gear off and that was when I used a Cox TeeDee .09, Mecoa Conquest .15, FP.20, FP.25, LA.25, Norvel.25, and OS Max FX.25. the .09 flew it extremely slow.

On landing gear the wheels are small and it is not uncommon to bend the LG strut pretty bad if you hit a hole in the grass. I used to take the gear off and swap sides when they got bent back, that push the wheels forward again. If it were me I would go with a LA.25 or something cheap, fixed gear, don’t sheet the wing because it needs to be light. The .25 will give you enough power to pull it off the ground with a minimal amount of ground looping. Again the reason for the ground looping is one of the wheels being stuck momentarily behind a clump of grass, the .25 pulls me right through them. Once in the air it does not exhibit any of the flat bottom wing tendencies.

The biggest problem with the model is how to hook up the ailerons (A)! because of the bend in the wing and where it is you cant use torque rods, everything else you can do to control it with one servo leaves you with enough play that returning to center is not possible. So it will always slowly role to the side you last gave it A to. My last one I put a servo on each aileron and it worked great.

Landings are pretty much easy. But taxiing after the landing will be hampered by the wheels behind the clump of grass thing.

these are pic's of the aftermath of three of the five mid-airs with the last one. the red 8 on the side means 7 cane before it.

Joe

aerowoof 03-29-2009 07:49 AM

very good imformation

femmo 03-14-2017 11:18 AM

Hi everybody. I'm looking for the drawings of the House Of Balsa Texzn since it is out of production.
Who can help me please? It is for a new club project.

Greetings Femmo

Rod_Hart 03-14-2017 11:56 AM

Air age sells the plans. IT was in a Model Airplanes News over 20 years ago.http://www.airagestore.com/at-6-texa...ard-flyer.html

femmo 03-14-2017 01:23 PM

Thanx!!

femmo 03-14-2017 01:26 PM

Hmmm that not the one.
House of balsa is 44" WS and nitro powered
This one is only 20"

Rod_Hart 03-14-2017 06:35 PM

Sorry wrong one.

Rod

Rod_Hart 03-14-2017 06:38 PM

Try this one. http://www.airagestore.com/t-6-texan.html

Love To build 03-15-2017 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree Snappy at low speed.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2205433

A6TEXAN 05-05-2017 06:25 PM

they don't make the 2 litre coke bottle any more that had the black plastic part on the bottom that you used for the cowling. but I'm sure you can find or make one out of something else. this plane does fly good tho. just keep some power on during landing. and be prepared to use some rudder on take off to control roll to the left.

Fed1984 11-27-2018 05:17 AM

Hi all, I have lost drawings of my house of balsa Texan 44" . I cannot find them online. Is anyone able to help me recovering or send them by email?
​​​​​​
Grazie
Federico