RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8623566-new-h9-p51-mustang-60-arf.html)

David Eichstedt 04-10-2009 05:40 PM

RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

This airplane is replacing the older 60-sized P-51. Miss America has been discontinued since last October and Marie will not be re-ordered when we run out. There aren't many left, so if you want one, better pick it up soon.

Why would we start refreshing the lineup with the P-51? Well, the original one was the first in the series, so it was the oldest. And love-em or hate-em, P-51s sell.

gsmarino2000 04-11-2009 12:36 AM

Dave,

At least from everything I can see, the new P-51 seems to be moving in the right direction with the enhanced scale features. We would really love to see some Axis warbirds though - especially an ME109 and FW-190.

Thanks,
Greg

CorsairJock 04-11-2009 06:52 AM

Well, I gotta say: it's really a sad to hear that the original Hangar 9 warbirds are being phased out, in favor of heavier and slightly more expensive models.
The originals were, as I stated many times: easy to fly. I have always recommended to warbird pilot wannabees: learn to fly warbirds with a Hangar 9 warbird, THEN build a more scale warbird if you want. They are in a league of their own, and literally owned the market. And altho many would buy one, learn to fly it, and move on to something 'better/ more scale': others were adding to their fleet with each new model.
The new ones will be competing heads up with Top Flite, and possibly Sig, so I hope Horizon is not shooting itself in the foot on this one. What next? an AT-6? A P-47? Guess what: Top Flite already has an AT-6 and will soon be releasing a P-47. If Horizon really intends to compete heads up with Top Flite, I think they have a tough road ahead. Price-wise, the Hangar 9 will have a tough time competing with the Great Planes conglomorate. Even when the 'list prices' are the same, Tower is always offering those huge discounts (about $60) in addition to free shipping.

But what do I know? I'm just a maintenance electrician at an OEM auto parts supplier, working 32 hours a week to keep up with the 'demands' of the U.S. auto industry, trying to figure out when (if ever) I can afford to buy my next warbird. My 2009 income will be approx. 1/2 my 2008 income, due to the decline in new cars sales.

On the other hand, IF Hangar 9 were to pursue something like a new/ better/ more scale authentic Corsair: I think it would be clear sailing for Hangar 9, since even the current H 9 Corsair has more scale accurate oulines than the Top Flite kit does. Make it a 'birdcage canopy' version, OR a tri-color F4U-1A, AND install some good retracts (I STLL think the Robart 102s were a very good design) and you're in like Flint.

Hey Dave, if Hangar 9 DOES intend to do a new Corsair, AND they would like some advice and help: e-mail me.

CorsairJock 04-11-2009 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW: my favorite warbird to fly of all time: Saito .91 powered Hangar 9 Hellcat. At 8 1/4 lbs (minus fuel), it flew like a Hellcat should: very manuverable, graceful, and easy to land. I DID install Robart #102 mech rotating retracts in it, modofied to accept 3/16" dia. titanium strut wires, as well as 650 RoboStruts, and had 2 retracts servos (1 each retract). That landing gear was rugged, shock absorbing, and beautiful to see in operation.

No other warbird that I have owned has been so relaxing, yet had such realistic flying qualities.

whstlngdeath 04-12-2009 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something kinda humorous, look at this pic of the new P-51 data stencil and see how many misspellings you find? Must have been some dyslexic typesetters involved! :D

Jesse

CorsairJock 04-12-2009 03:27 PM

Don't know if dyslexia is involved, but whoever did it probably never won a spelling bee. SERVISE? AVAIL ABLE? FULE?

bigtim 04-12-2009 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Well, I gotta say: it's really a sad to hear that the original Hangar 9 warbirds are being phased out, in favor of heavier and slightly more expensive models.
The originals were, as I stated many times: easy to fly. I have always recommended to warbird pilot wannabees: learn to fly warbirds with a Hangar 9 warbird, THEN build a more scale warbird if you want. They are in a league of their own, and literally owned the market. And altho many would buy one, learn to fly it, and move on to something 'better/ more scale': others were adding to their fleet with each new model.
The new ones will be competing heads up with Top Flite, and possibly Sig, so I hope Horizon is not shooting itself in the foot on this one. What next? an AT-6? A P-47? Guess what: Top Flite already has an AT-6 and will soon be releasing a P-47. If Horizon really intends to compete heads up with Top Flite, I think they have a tough road ahead. Price-wise, the Hangar 9 will have a tough time competing with the Great Planes conglomorate. Even when the 'list prices' are the same, Tower is always offering those huge discounts (about $60) in addition to free shipping.

But what do I know? I'm just a maintenance electrician at an OEM auto parts supplier, working 32 hours a week to keep up with the 'demands' of the U.S. auto industry, trying to figure out when (if ever) I can afford to buy my next warbird. My 2009 income will be approx. 1/2 my 2008 income, due to the decline in new cars sales.

On the other hand, IF Hangar 9 were to pursue something like a new/ better/ more scale authentic Corsair: I think it would be clear sailing for Hangar 9, since even the current H 9 Corsair has more scale accurate oulines than the Top Flite kit does. Make it a 'birdcage canopy' version, OR a tri-color F4U-1A, AND install some good retracts (I STLL think the Robart 102s were a very good design) and you're in like Flint.

Hey Dave, if Hangar 9 DOES intend to do a new Corsair, AND they would like some advice and help: e-mail me.
well said CJ, I love my older Marie Mustang, its a easy flying plane with good looks, and no bad tendancies.

I like the upgraded retracts and different covering scheme of the new offering,even though its a copy of the World Models Mustang.

understanding that electric powered planes are becoming more popular, as a fuel user, I am a bit turned of by being stuck with the hatch section on the fuse, at least the TF version has it hidden from view, being covered over, H-9 seems to take it for granted that customers want a hatch on top of the fuse.

as anyone who uses glow power knows even the cleanest engines spread oil eventually, even the smallest gaps get fuel in them, its a issue I am dealing with on my H-9 P-40, at the wing area having oil get into the wood, and needing to get rid of the oil residue, and sealing/fuel proofing areas.

its a mistake I didn't make with my Mustang, but a little too late for the P-40 I am cleaning the wood with K2R and sealing the fuse area now, before I fly it again.

having lost as much buisness as I have this year, there's not alot of disposable extra cash is flying about, the Next mustang I will be adding is my B/C kit I will be building, with all the positive additions to the plane, gear,flaps, scale looking covering, there's a few let downs as well.

Luftwaffe Oberst 04-12-2009 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: whstlngdeath

Here's something kinda humorous, look at this pic of the new P-51 data stencil and see how many misspellings you find? Must have been some dyslexic typesetters involved! :D

Jesse

That alone would stop some from buying it. LOL!

David Eichstedt
This airplane is replacing the older 60-sized P-51. Miss America has been discontinued since last October and Marie will not be re-ordered when we run out. There aren't many left, so if you want one, better pick it up soon.

Why would we start refreshing the lineup with the P-51? Well, the original one was the first in the series, so it was the oldest. And love-em or hate-em, P-51s sell.
I've been writing to your company and Great Planes. Great Planes is fully aware of the issue of lacking Axis birds and is now bringing it up in the next meeting... how about getting on the ball and put out some planes we want instead of making a big guess in what we want?

Now if your company came out with a .60 plane that no one else has on the market that's good, let's say a George, P-39, SBD, Fw-190 D9, Fw-190, Zero or Bf-109. I'd bet you that P-51 wouldn't sell as good... especially with the misspellings on the plane.

Tat's jus plane bad. :D[sm=lol.gif]

David Eichstedt 04-12-2009 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: whstlngdeath

Jesse

These markings were already removed from the printing plate, and will not appear on the production models. Before showing the plane we took exergency action!

whstlngdeath 04-12-2009 10:41 PM

:)
Thanks, David.
I for one, do like the new Mustang. I have the .60 size Corsair going together right now, and except for the retracts, it's a quality ARF. I look forward to the new offerings from H9 in the future.

Jesse

brianfp_400 04-14-2009 07:10 PM

I want one !

rodneygt 04-15-2009 08:19 PM

The retracts look very promising to me. I've a set of lado rotating retracts ordered for my bh p40. Next to lados (or maybe air retracts) the ones on this p51 look like they could really be good (especially for mechanical retracts). I would like to hear more about them and see what the price would be for the retracts (could see putting them in some other birds too). With a stagger controller, like lado sells (when they can stock them), they would probably look really good in operation too (I think I saw a servo speed controller at hobby lobby that might could be used with these too).

http://www.hangar-9.com/ProdInfo/Gal...2420-GAL13.jpg

andrew wisc. 04-15-2009 11:11 PM

likng the looks of this stang. that servo in pic is a retract servo. ? there not using regular servos are they? if so how would that work?
just curious. thanks andrew wisc.

CorsairJock 04-16-2009 04:48 AM

Gotta chirp in on retract servos, and alternate possibilities:
I have 2 servos installed in my Top Flite Mustang ARF (1 each retract unit). The are NOT retract servos tho, they are low profile, hi torque, PROPORTIONAL servos that LOOK like retract servos. Using servos of this type has at least 2 advantages over standard retract servos:

1) they are much easier to set-up, since the endpoints can be adjusted on the transmitter, rather than having to determine exact amount of throw needed and adjusting linkages accordingly

2) the speed can be controlled (even independently) by 1 of at least 2 methods:'
a) use of a servo speed controller OR electronic cycle time reducer. These are available from several sources (including Hobby Lobby, Lado, and a site called Dionuysus' something or other), are light weight (just a few grams or less) and inexpensive ( as low as $10 each ).
b) use of servo speed control which is on SOME higher end transmitters, such as my Futaba 12FG FASST.

I can see no reason why any of those methods could not be used on this Hangar 9 bird, meaning you CAN have slow and offset retract cycle times for more realistic action. Have a look at mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LIFkga6lA4

BTW: mine is using stock retract units with RoboStruts installed.

charlie1960 04-17-2009 03:26 PM

I did this same modification to my world models 'stang, was a simple mod. never had a retract problem after that.....and its just two simple JR servos nothing special.
they sit side by side in the front of the wing. a short Y harness and i was in business.
I do like the set up with this new mustang. looks promising, and if later on you want Lado's......looks like they'll drop right in.

mike early 04-17-2009 08:45 PM

I would never have bought a hanger 9 sport-bird. I will spend my hard-earned money on warbirds like this.

Sheeted wings, flaps, airfoiled tail feathers, heavy duty retracts. Amen

leedees 04-25-2009 03:26 PM

I've got my pre-order in for this plane now with the LHS. Going with the Saito FG20 gasser for power.

Besides all the other cool stuff like the flaps, the retracts alone make this plane desirable. I am hoping they quickly make them available as parts so I can retrofit them to my H9 P-47. The P-47 flies so sweet but the retracts make me crazy.

loopsy 04-26-2009 05:34 PM

When finally will it be available at the larger stores? Any specific dates?

Is anyone going to build it with electric engine? If yes, which setup ?

Thanks!

LDM 04-26-2009 06:40 PM

Dont change the mispelling on the Mustang , everyone will know its mine :D

The_Russian 04-28-2009 11:26 PM

I vote for a Yak-3P or a P-63 King Cobra!

The new H9 Mustang lacks the detail that the TF ARF has. The Retracts look nice though.

Are they oleo struts?

airborne14830 05-25-2009 08:29 AM

I have just purchased my 609 retracts.  I  have two questions:</p>

</p>

1.  Will the small air <font color="#000000">tank</font> hold enough air to do the job or should I go to the medium size tank?</p>

2.  What kind of air pump should i use?  I have been trying a hand pump with a football needle valve and I just can't seem to get a good seal, and at 60 PSI the hand pump blows off the needle valve.  Any ideas?</p>

Thanks</p>

Yak18 05-25-2009 10:14 AM

This Mustang is sweet and I'm already setting aside some cash for it. One thing that really caught my eye though was thehideous instrument panel! OMG what were they thinking?! The TF P-47 ARFcockpit is really nice but the retracts are music wire! I guess there's give and take on all of these planes.

charlie1960 05-26-2009 01:46 PM

There is a video of this plane in action on the Horizon websight.
DAMit looks sweet.
One can never see to many Mustangs.
Placed my order with my favorite hobby dealer a month ago;)
She'll have a Saito 1.00 up front.......

mike early 05-26-2009 02:05 PM

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...HAN2420_hi.wmv

maddog 71 06-02-2009 07:47 PM

I will be getting one of these mustangs will be putting my YS -91 up front Does any one know of sombody thats making 75 gallon drop tanks for a mustang of this size I would like to put a set on it when I get it?