RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New KMP 70" P-47 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8821770-new-kmp-70%22-p-47-a.html)

AirplaneMan04 06-03-2009 07:42 AM

New KMP 70" P-47

Does anyone have one of these? If so how does it fly and what
are your thoughts?

www.kmp.ca/product_info.php

GSNut 06-03-2009 06:41 PM

RE: New KMP 70

I just finished assembling the 70 inch. P-47.

1. Supplied retracts wobble badly...
2. Finding where to put the holes in the fuselage for the leading edge dowels and the holes in the leading edge wing was a night mare.
3. Setting up the tail wheel assembly in the fuselage was a hassel.
4 Locating the holes in the belly pan for the center line tank was difficult. + should have been made the tank removeable.
5. The cowl mount blocks behind the firewall should have be installed at the mfg'ing point.

This is the fourth KMP Aircraft that I have and that includes the Dauntless, my newest. But the P-47 is the first one to be finished. But when I took it out to the fieldto fly it, Ifound the firewall was loose and have not repairid yet.

6. The instructions included with this ARF were the absolute worstIhave seen in thirty five years in thehobby.
7. The landing gear with the Dauntless wobbles just as bad as the P-47 did, so have ordered Robarts for it.

All hisplanes seem to be very well built, but have serious problems that should have been taken care of tn thefactory.

As told to me by my best friend Earl Keffer.

Doug

</p>

greenbaron 06-04-2009 06:36 AM

I have just finished one of them, only 4 flights so far...
The 3 first flights with a Saito 120, a little underpowered, and a little tail heavy as well (my fault...)
The forth flight with Evo 26 gas and CG at 128 mm from leading edge (destructions say 136 mm) was much better. I think it will be a very good flyer..
Mylanding gear also woobled, until I discovered you can adjust the maximum travel of the legs by spining a pin that joints the L shaped flanges of the actuators (no destructions about that) Now the filling valve leaks, but this is a small inconvenience...a Robart will do the job.
I hope this helps.

AirplaneMan04 06-04-2009 07:41 AM

Thanks for the information guys.

Connery 06-04-2009 09:12 AM

With all of the really good planes coming from KMP it's really a surprise that they messed up the P-47 so badly. Since I don't have one to look at I can't tell for sure, but in the picture the cowl looks so bad I'd be embarassed to have it on my plane. Maybe those of you that have one can say for sure if the one in the picture wasn't cut out all the way in the front and your's looks different or not.

AirplaneMan04 06-04-2009 12:21 PM

My opinion on KMP is that they come out with SOOOOmany new Arfs and in so little time
that they never really prove out or scale out each one due to the quick release
of individual planes. I personally think they are overpriced also for what you get.
These really have the capability of being more scale which is the way i want to go.
I agree. The cowl on the P-47 is bad.

jeff naul 06-04-2009 08:28 PM

i have the older razorback and if you cut out the front of the cowl a little it will look o.k. all i can say is that it flies awesome but as all fiberglass arf's it show's age way too quickly. it is way overpriced for what you get. but for the guy who doesn't care about scale and just wants to say he has a warbird it is a good flier. this was my second arf to bash and i learned my lesson, build from plans or a kit because in the long run you don't save enough time to overcome the headache's that you will encounter later. the c.g. is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off in the so called instructions, which nearly caused me to loose this bird twice. if you get one make sure it is way nose heavy and you will be right on the mark. jeff

flytaildragger 06-10-2009 07:36 PM

Hello, I am the sales Tech at KMP. I want to address the wobbly gear. The first version of the new Generation 5 retracts which have the blue frame, are adjustable. There are two frame pins, when loosened that take up the slack of the trunion on the gear when adjusted properly. They are identified as having a small hole in the shaft and the shaft is offset holding the frame together. When you adjust the shaft, it will take up the slack and tighten the play on the retracts. The Gen 5 2nd version has no adjustment but they are better in that they block fit. I also want to mention that there is a new website called www.magnumrc.com that is an accessory website designed for items hard to find to assemble KMP planes. The main feature of the website is the Lado designed OEM retrofit electric upgrade for KMP retracts. At this time, they fit only Gen 5 systems.

flytaildragger 06-10-2009 07:40 PM

One of the biggest hassles in modeling and assembling cowls of fiberglass to fiberglass fuselages or nacelles is the vibration which plays heck to keeping screws and the cowl intact. Sometimes the blocks behing the fiberglass can be elusive. At www.magnumrc.com, you will find flush mounted rubber cowl mounts that enable the modeler to flush mount his cowl to fiberglass fuse without any of the associated hassels. The cowl rests on a rubber flush mounted rivet and a 6/32 Button head screw fastens the cowl to the mount and your hassles with vibration will disappear.

GSNut 06-10-2009 08:05 PM

flytaildragger :

Iwill convey your message to Earl Keffer this evening. And will extend the use of my computer to him so that he may respond directly.

Or I can forward his telephone number to you if youwish to speak directly to him as I have his permission to do so.

Let me know if you wish to speak to him.

Thanks for responding.

Doug

oldtimer4759 08-16-2010 03:27 AM

Hi all,
any more info on this model, a recommended engine type, I have been told a 120AX will be enough, I see a U tube video with a 160, I was thinking of a DL 30, is everyone happy with the way it flies.
cheers, Oldtimer.