RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8936563-top-flite-giant-p47-arf-coming.html)

dubd 10-09-2009 02:18 AM

RE: Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming

On page 6 of this thread is a picture of the DA-85 mounted to the firewall and the firewall does not look like it was cut.

maddingo 10-18-2009 12:41 PM

Fellas, great thread. Learning a lot.

Quick question. I have the TF P-47 ARF and I want to finish in Flite metal. With that said the model comes with flaps and elevators already on the wing. I need to remove them to be able to glass and finish. Any suggestions how I can take these off without damaging the wings and then reinstalling them?

Last question. Ill also be using CJM retracts for the first time. Is it an issue if I install them at the end of the finish or should I do it before? Has anyone put a SAITO FA-100 in this cowl.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Tisoy909 10-18-2009 02:23 PM

I think youre gonna need a motor with a little more Cajones than that man.
Louie

maddingo 10-18-2009 02:32 PM

My bad.

Im talking about the 60 size.

Tisoy909 10-18-2009 02:35 PM

Oh, in that case thats the perfect motor then. I have that motor in the h9 spitfire, lots of torque and hp with 20% nitro and its the right match for the size just like your p47. but this thread is for their newer giant p47 which just came out
Louie

Karl G 10-18-2009 02:36 PM

Maddingo, this tread is about the GIANT SCALE TF-P47 ARF
You must have the 60 size TF= P47 ARF . The Saito 100 is a perfect mach for that plane, one of our club members flys it with that setup.

maddingo 10-18-2009 02:39 PM

Thanks guys, regardless of the thread. My question is what is the best way to remove the ailerons which come pre fixed to the wing so I can glass it and finish and then re attatch?

Thanks. The other thread never got back to me.

Tisoy909 10-18-2009 02:41 PM

Maddingo,
Well if it came preglued, and they used ca hinges. id probably use an Xacto blade to carefully slice them off. then use robart pin type hinges after glassing it. thats what i would do atleast.
Louie

groovy67 10-19-2009 04:08 PM

I have the giant P-47 from Top Flite.I am having issues with the tailwheel retract strut binding on the side.Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it.I may have to open the hole more and install gear doors.Everything else went smoothly.Still waiting for my pitts style muffler to arrive for a G-62 so I won't have to cut the side of the cowling.I've always liked TF models and hope they come out with a giant P-40 ARF.
Good luck removing the robart hinges.Thats what stopped me from giving it a different color scheme,too.It can be done,but I figure what the heck,it looks good as it is! The colors are loud but, at my age,it will be easier to see...lol.

DLEVETT 10-20-2009 07:47 AM

Yeah removing the Robart hinges will definately be a pain. I thought about it but then decided it isn,t worth the effort.
Thats why I,m hoping they release a ARC in the near future so that I can get one of these completed over the winter.

AirplaneMan04 10-20-2009 08:19 AM

I am hoping for an ARC version as well!
Anyone out there at Hobbico/Great Planes/Top-Flite listening to
this thread?

DLEVETT 10-20-2009 08:41 AM

I,m pretty sure that they are.
Lets just hope that its sooner instead of later.

efly726 10-20-2009 09:37 AM

I think this is one of the best flying models I've ever flown. In addition to an ARC version I'd like to see TF bring other giant scale ARFs to the market. A Corsair is the obvious one since they already have a gold kit available. TF - I have my CC ready....

sweetpea01 10-20-2009 12:23 PM

Spitfire and Me-109 would be nice as well.

dubd 10-22-2009 07:15 PM

I have a brand new set up Robart main gear for this plane that I am selling. PM me if you're interested.

Super08 10-29-2009 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up mine a while back. It is going to be a winter build as it is supposed to be my xmas gift from my wife. I was going to put an 80 on it but have decided on a DLE55.

DLEVETT 10-29-2009 09:25 PM

I like your idea about the Christmas present, I,m going to remind my wife this weekend on how special it was when bought me that OS 90FX a couple of years ago for Christmas.
How does it look in person?
I have been considering buying a TF giant P-47 or the P-51 ARC and am struggling with the loud colour scheme on the P-47.
I,m a DA50 guy [a couple of them] and have also been rethinking my position on buying a DLE55.
I have always had good service from DA and am hesitant to save the $180 on the DLE only to have a problem [ignition etc] and have to spend the money anyways.
I,ll be watching as you build and depending on my direction I may just be joining in with the buildup.

Dave

p.s. Where did you buy yours from in Canada?

Super08 10-29-2009 09:49 PM

I ordered it from Great hobbies. BTW both of my 55's run the same rpm. I ran them up on a test stand just to tune them up and ran about 12 oz of fuel through them. Using a 22x8 Xoar they turned 7110rpm. Not bad for out of the box.

DLEVETT 10-29-2009 10:07 PM

Ok thanks about GH.
I think I will take advantage of the CC offer and buy a DLE 55 at the same time as the plane.
That way I,ll get the engine for $375cdn which you really can,t beat for price.
Any thoughts on the loudness [ is that a word?] of the covering scheme. Are the colours slightly muted in person?

Super08 10-29-2009 10:45 PM

Somewhat. One of the guys removed the blue area with the stars and left it all aluminum. Looked good. If you do a search on Youtube there is a video of it. I think I recall seeing some pics of it earlier in this thread as well.

MANFRED 10-30-2009 09:23 AM

The colors on this plane are loud and proud. Historical air superiority in your face Nazi killer!!!

Super08 10-30-2009 09:45 AM

On that topic I watched some shows on the P47 and there were some very frustrated German pilots that literally ran out of ammo trying to shoot the the P47 down. One very tough bird. As they gained air superiority towards the end of the war it was just as Manfred stated above.

smithsfallsbirdguy 10-30-2009 05:44 PM

I got mine from a local hobby shop for $625 cdn which when I figured out how much mail order places were going to charge me for shipping was a good deal. I just got my DLE 55 and I am having a tough time figureing out the install. I downloaded all the info I could get from the DLUSA site which is helpfull. This is my first gas motor so anyone that would like to post some details of there install would be great. Pictures are even better. As for the colour scheme I love scale war birds and usually get out the dull coat and airbrush. I realy like the way this bird looks and I have seen a few photos of the Conderate air force Tar heel hal. It looks just like this bird all nice and shiny. I am leaving mine as is and just saying that it is this bird not the WW2 version.
Hey whats up with all the Canucks?

sweetpea01 10-30-2009 09:17 PM

DLE55 should be no diff on the install than the DA50. Search around and I'm sure there is a ton of info on that.

Hellcat716 10-30-2009 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed my DLE 55 today and here are a few pictures of the installation. I also set the choke up on a servo. Using a J-Tech pitts muffler.