RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8936563-top-flite-giant-p47-arf-coming.html)

crashproof 07-17-2009 11:02 PM

RE: Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming

Just make it into an ARC, should'nt take more than an hour or so to do.

swift375 07-17-2009 11:27 PM

Does anyone know if the DA-50 with the stock muffler will fit inside the cowl?

Thanks in advance.

MANFRED 07-18-2009 02:36 AM

It should, my DA-50 fits into the TF GS P-51 and the bolt is alot roomier.

tenacious101010 07-18-2009 07:19 AM

I am just at the point of painting the details on my Giant Top Flite P-47 kit. I have a G-62 ready to go into it, it is a great engine for this plane. There were two guys at Bay City Flyers that flew them at King Orange in Florida this past year, they both flew awesome with G-62s in them.
Personally I was greatly relieved when I saw that TF didnt do the razorback version. I am already tired of seeing all the Hanger 9 P-47 ARFs out there all the same color scheme, I am sure TF will do an ARC, too bad Hanger 9 hasnt gotten the message to do ARCs. Somehow many of the major manufacturers have blown right past the ARCs, and went from labor intensive kits to ARFs, kinda odd when you think about it.
As a matter of fact I believe there is a great opportunity for them to increase sales by making a giant ARC version of a BT-13. This airplane was flown by almost every WW2 pilot that learned to fly, it would be a great first warbird with its trainer qualities, there are no expensive retracts and gear doors to worry about. It is a simple design without a big round cowl to hide the engine and allow plenty of cooling air to the engine and there arent many compound curves for ease of painting or covering. It looks like a T-6 with a Corsair tail, a really cool but forgotten plane in the modeling world.
I look forward to seeing this new addition th their great lineup of planes especially if it is offered in an ARC.
Denny

AirplaneMan04 07-18-2009 08:44 AM

If Sierra Comes out with gear for this TF ARF, and a razorback conversion
becomes available,,,, i will buy it! It will save tons of ours on building which
I do not have time for right now. If they do not have an ARC version i will
just strip it like most of you guys.

AirplaneMan04 07-18-2009 09:21 AM

I wonder if any of these goodies will fit?

http://www.aerotechmodels.com/P47%20Accessories.htm

jeff naul 07-18-2009 01:27 PM

The aerotech parts fit the yellow p-47 really well. they will be a little small for the top flite. i think they make a chin scoop though.
When you put all of this to paper your far ahead of the game to just buy the yellow 47 rather than bashing this one. i just got another one this week, 612.00 to my door. retracts are 365.00 and tail wheel 30.00. The only problem with the yellow are the instructions. the build time can be greatly reduced just by changing the order that they do thing's. in the end You will have a far better looking airplane. Jeff

swift375 07-18-2009 02:32 PM

I have a G-62 for this plane. The measurement from the back of the cup mount to the engine drive washer is 6 - 3/4". That's exactly what was stated in the manual at the Top-Flite web page. I'm debating whether to go with the G-62 which I have flown it with the kit version for over 3 years or try the Fuji 43 EI. I like the G-62 but it was a little heavy and I had to add two sticks of weight behind the tail wheel. With the G-62 an rarely fly it more than 1/2 throttle. But looking at the manual for the ARF, seems like I have to make some modification for the throttle linkage because the carb is on the opposite side of the Fuji 43. I would of course have to butcher up the cowl for the muffler and the carb for the G-62. I'm leaning towards the Fuji this time because everything is set up for it in the ARF and it should reduce some weight. I like to fly scale so I don't need the power of the G-62.

So I'm ready for any suggestions or recommendations from the RCUniverse community, G62 or Fuji 43EI?

Thanks in advance.

ledd4u 07-18-2009 07:05 PM

I would not spend my money on that junk. I have the hanger 9 P-47 and it rocks. I have had it for three years with only one problem.

JEFFHINES73 07-18-2009 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

I would not spend my money on that junk. I have the hanger 9 P-47 and it rocks. I have had it for three years with only one problem.

Your calling it junk and I dont think anyone has even got one yet . Dont bash somthing unless you have one or flown one or put it together witch I doubt you have done .

Chad Veich 07-18-2009 11:49 PM

Not quite sure why you would think it's junk. I too have a H9 T-Bolt and, while it is a decent ARF, I would bet the TF airplane will be much better constructed. The H9 is built very, very light. Too light in my opinion. While it makes for a very good flying airplane the surface of the model is kind of a mess due to the very light and thin balsa seeting which sags between the formers and stringers. I have my fuselage stripped for glassing and I can attest to how much filler is needed to get the thing any where near smooth. And it will never be really nice, just adequate. I have a feeling the TF ARF will not have these same issues. To each their own but I would gladly have accepted a pound or two more weight for a bit more structure on the H9 airplane. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

ticketec 07-19-2009 12:58 AM

Ahhh, Finally not another Razorback!!!!!

There are so many razorback options out there it's nice to see a bubbletop for once! IO wonder how much different it would be from the kit?

Thanks

dave

Canuck1 07-19-2009 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TF P-47 would be great as an ARC
I built the kit, many hours to finish, but a great warbird. I am using a G-62 in mine. have a small hole in the cowl for the carb, but a great combination for this aircraft. If it is the same size as the build up kit, it would be a great project to finish. I have attached a couple pictures of my P-47.

Craig

Scotsman 07-19-2009 04:56 AM

Swift,

I am flying the TF GS P-47 on a Fuji 50 at 24 1/2 pounds and it is just adequate for power. Not overpowered, not drastically under powered. So, my concern is if the 43 would be enough ponies. Just a data point for you. I think the 62cc engines are over-powering the airframe, but it sure would make it easy to drive through really big loops. None the less, this is a great airframe and a lot of fun to fly.

Scot

Ron101 07-19-2009 10:14 AM

Junk... that's funny

I have had tons of hanger 9 planes .. and I love them , they fly great

but the top flight ARF's so far are constructed much better.. I have the gaint P-51 and now teh 60 P-47.... the workmanship is really good
so good in fact that as long as they keep making them .... I'll keep bashing them and never build from sticks again

All ARF's need a little work here and there... but so do kits

I'm sure the quality will be very nice

Ron

MANFRED 07-19-2009 11:48 AM

The "junk" comment should be taken for what it is, an uninformed ejaculation. I too have both TF and H-9 arfs and the TF kits are light years above the H-9. The H-9 are quick and easy to build but they look very toyish when compared to the refinements you find in the TF kits. The Tfs fly more like a scale ship and the H-9s more like a sport plane though niether are truly scale {OF COURSE}. I can't wait for mine to get here next week. Anybody have any idea how much the Sierra gear would price out at, ball park?

MANFRED 07-19-2009 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will lose the shine and add some p lines and burnish a rivet or two. In this pic she looks well worn just the way I like 'em.

tailskid 07-19-2009 02:13 PM

What was/is the 'one' problem?

Jerry

tenacious101010 07-19-2009 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: tailskid

What was/is the 'one' problem?

Jerry
Maybe the problem is immaturity and non-factual statements. But then if its opinion, then he has the right to state his opinion. But I doubt he can quantify his statement in any terms that come close to being valid. Maybe he is just a child and does not understand what he is saying. I wouldnt worry too much about his comments.
I wonder if they have redone the canopy, I was not happy with the TF canopy and bought one from Yellow Aircraft, other than that the Giant TF kit is a great one, I am sure the ARF will be just as nice or better.
Denny

efly726 07-19-2009 05:16 PM

I just ordered one of these from my local hobby shop. I have primarly flown electrics for the last 10 years so this will be my first giant scale gas engine model. I'm getting a lot of help from my fellow flyers but there seems to be a difference of opinion over which engine to install - the zdz80 or a G62. What is everyone else planning to use in their planes?

jrod1019 07-19-2009 07:16 PM

i would go with a da/dl 50, what do you guys think?

MANFRED 07-19-2009 08:11 PM

Da/DL 50

DLEVETT 07-19-2009 08:36 PM

This is awesome news.
I,ve been waiting for this release for a long time.
I,ll go with a DA50 for power, along with Sierra gear.
As for the covering it,ll get stripped and glassed.

Dave

AirplaneMan04 07-20-2009 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, i have a question regarding this ARF. I am not a P-47 expert by any means
but i do favor the razorback version for many reasons.
In looking at the photos of this TF arf, i noticed there is some sort of ridge
that extends from the vertical fin up toward the bubble canopy....
it is orange or yellowish color in the photo and it appears to end about
where the star is on the side of the fuse. Now i have never seen this ridge
on any other RC model nor does it appear in any of the full size aircraft
images i have seen. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
IF this ridge is in the kit and this is not some sort of illusion, it will keep me
from buying this ARF as this is not scale. If you look at the pics of the 60 size
olive drab ARF there is no ridge extending on top of the fuse from the fin toward
the bubble canopy.

Chad Veich 07-20-2009 08:49 AM

AirplaneMan04,

What you are seeing is the dorsal fin fillet which was common to most D model Thunderbolts. It's painted green on the restored Jug pictured below. If you look closely at Manfred's picture of the full size "Tarheel Hal" above (post #67) you will see that it too has the dorsan fin fillet.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../9/0803905.jpg