RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8936563-top-flite-giant-p47-arf-coming.html)

captainron 02-06-2011 03:20 PM

RE: Top Flite Giant P47 arf IS coming

Well said Terry,

flaps down.......nice angle of desent on final..........power on to hold your airspeed from dying off too much (which it will do with flaps down)..............flair...........hold wings level and start backing down the power and let her settle to tera firma.........YOUR HOME......roll out........turn around.....cleared to taxi the ramp......

YAH BABY............:D

JUST CAPTAIN RON'S 2 CENTS

kmtranmd 02-08-2011 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is the pic of the Tru Turn 2" A-style prop hub on a Fuchs 21x11 4 blade from AI. The actual diameter of the hub base is about 2 1/4" wide because of the flange. I'm waiting for my DA 85 being updated at desert aircraft to come back and plane will be done. Will post the completed razorback conversion pic with motor/prop attached later.

Tisoy909 02-10-2011 08:20 AM

kmtranmd,
Can you let us know how it works out with that motor/prop combination, wouldnt 21 inch still be a little on the small side for the 85cc? I do know its a 4-blade you will run on the DA but i was thinking perhaps 22 or 23 would be more suited. Please let us know.
Thanks.
Louie

kmtranmd 02-12-2011 12:48 AM

My DA 85 is getting updated right now, will give the revs report with that prop when I get the motor back.

alb1661 02-20-2011 08:18 AM

We did the maiden flight on the TF P-47 a couple of days ago. Had 4 flights for trimming. Our (my son and I) experience with flying Extreme Flights 50cc planes made it very comfortable. This is our first 50cc warbird and the landings are predictable. It wants to land on the mains rather then with a flair. With a Yak or Extra and no flaps you should 3 point land to slow it down. However with the P-47 and flaps it just settles in on the mains. We had a lot of fun flying this plane, it's a keeper!

Regards

Steve

damroadhog 02-20-2011 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Tisoy909

kmtranmd,
Can you let us know how it works out with that motor/prop combination, wouldnt 21 inch still be a little on the small side for the 85cc? I do know its a 4-blade you will run on the DA but i was thinking perhaps 22 or 23 would be more suited. Please let us know.
Thanks.
Louie

That is the prop to use , had it in my first P 47 /DA 85 / 21x11.
awsome power , great speed , easy landing. Was thinking of using the Biela scale 22x10 this time around , only for the scale looks, but am sticking with what works, the fuchs 21x11.
The new updated DA 85 with this prop has 0 (Zero) vibration.

Dave

jtflys 02-23-2011 03:43 AM

Can anyone tell me what the inside of cowl measures, or if a GT 74 twin will fit in there.
Thanks,
JT

tfarmer96 02-23-2011 05:04 AM

Looks like you have about 9 inches where the heads would be

jtflys 02-23-2011 05:32 AM

Thank you, I would need 10.250" to clear the plug wires.
Thanks,
JT

captainron 03-14-2011 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
YAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Finally got a good day and got mine maidend Sunday. All went well. The take off surprised me....She was ready to fly long before I was. After only about a 50 ft take off roll, she lifted off and headed for the stars. The Big Brison 4.2 was only at about 1/2 throttle. She started to stall and snap. I hammered the Brison and leveled the wings. After that, it was Katie, bar the doors. The power of the Brison took over and away we went. The rest of the sortie (maiden) was quite uneventful but packed with fun and adrenaline. Got some altitude, did some light trim work and she was on her own. The landing took three passed. I had the elevator way too sensitive and I was balooning it. Third pass, nailed it..............DANG WHAT A NICE WARBIRD.............Good job and Kudos to TOP FLITE for a quality product.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.............................CAPTAIN RON

smithsfallsbirdguy 03-14-2011 10:56 AM

Captain Ron

Great to here that your maiden went well, you will love this bird, she makes us all look good. By the way I see that you did some weathering. I did some on monocote using acrylic model paint. It looked awesome and then I cleaned the plane up with windex and it all came off. I thought it was because I used water based paint so then I airbrushed again using oil based paint and it too came off when I cleaned the plane. Did you seal yours with a clear? or what was your process

thanks
chris

captainron 03-14-2011 12:32 PM

Thanks Chris,
Yessir, once I airbrushed the weathering, I sprayed the whole plane with a Lustre kote flat clear. I also don't clean the plane.........LOL! Like my old girlfriend, the dirtier she is the better she looks.....

JUST MY 2 CENTS........................................CAPTA IN RON

frisco2022 07-15-2011 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, this thread kind of died but my father took some great pictures of the plane and I thought I would post them. I love the plane!!! Also did anyone else have problems with the covering wrinkling. I have had many planes but this one wrinkled the worst. The plane has a DLE-55.

funcars 08-03-2011 12:16 PM

I'm new to giant scale and recently purchased this arf which I've nearly finished.

What is the best method to balance such a large and heavy warbird?

Thanks,

Gary A

JohnVH 08-03-2011 12:17 PM

I use the base of the palms of my hands centered on the CG mark.

tfarmer96 08-04-2011 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

I use the base of the palms of my hands centered on the CG mark.

What John said. You can cg this bird with your hands it builds out in the 20 ish lbs range I would get a buddy to come over and help just to make sure you dont hurt yourself or the airplane.

captainron 08-04-2011 07:20 AM

Hey Terry,
It's good to hear from ya.............Still flying mine, but been having problems with vibration from the big 4.2 Brison. It just seems to shake the big ARF to death. Flew it in Denver at WOD and almost had a disaster. Prop came loose (my fault) and the vibration shook and actually destroyed a brand new J-Tec muffler. Gear valve broke loose, so had no legs for landing. Had to belly her in. No damage to the bird but ruined the muffler, broke all cowl mounts and basically shook the 47 violently unill I could get it shut down. Fixed all that with a new $150.00 J-Tec muff and all new cowl mounts. Tried last weekend to fly her again for the first time since Denver and had nothing but problems. Air leaks, found a broken tail wheel retract that still had to be from extreme shaken she took. Home again for more repairs. JEEEEEEEZZZZ! NEVER HAD ONE LIKE THIS. My recommendation to anyone putting a 4.2 Brison in theirs would be not to. I know your flying yours with a DA 85. Any of these problems showing up in yours?

Also, any dates planned for your Warbirds next year? May would really work good for us Pueblo crowd. Remember WOD is the middle or second weekend of June. We'd love to come down.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.........................................CAPT AIN RON

tfarmer96 08-04-2011 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: captainron

Hey Terry,
It's good to hear from ya.............Still flying mine, but been having problems with vibration from the big 4.2 Brison. It just seems to shake the big ARF to death. Flew it in Denver at WOD and almost had a disaster. Prop came loose (my fault) and the vibration shook and actually destroyed a brand new J-Tec muffler. Gear valve broke loose, so had no legs for landing. Had to belly her in. No damage to the bird but ruined the muffler, broke all cowl mounts and basically shook the 47 violently unill I could get it shut down. Fixed all that with a new $150.00 J-Tec muff and all new cowl mounts. Tried last weekend to fly her again for the first time since Denver and had nothing but problems. Air leaks, found a broken tail wheel retract that still had to be from extreme shaken she took. Home again for more repairs. JEEEEEEEZZZZ! NEVER HAD ONE LIKE THIS. My recommendation to anyone putting a 4.2 Brison in theirs would be not to. I know your flying yours with a DA 85. Any of these problems showing up in yours?

Also, any dates planned for your Warbirds next year? May would really work good for us Pueblo crowd. Remember WOD is the middle or second weekend of June. We'd love to come down.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.........................................CAPT AIN RON
Man sorry to hear that. Mine is the old shoe in the fleet now. Get her out flip and fly like HE11 out of it. I covered my last one with stro spray 1000 and its light and has held up as good or better then monokote. I wish she weighed more i know that sounds crazy.

smithsfallsbirdguy 08-04-2011 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my second season with the P47 and like terry it has become my old reliable. This is the nicest flying model I have. I am running the DLE55 and this engine is a great match for the plane. Lots of power and dependability. We had three of these at our zone funfly a few weeks back all in the air at the same time. And all running the same engine.

Terry
I read that article on fiberglassing with out epoxy and actually tried it out on an old wing that I had. I used minwax polyurethane and it seemed to work well. The drying time was a couple of hours between coat though. A buddy suggested that I do not use the water base polyurethane because the water would warp the balsa. any thoughts?. Do you use any automotive type spot putty or go right to primer and then paint. I was also hoping to use latex paint.

tfarmer96 08-04-2011 01:31 PM

i have used the water base with no problem, but thats just me. I have used both automotive primer and latex primer with the home depot exterior latex. I like the easy cleanup of latex...and its cheap. Repairs are way easy to hide the paint always matches. I use evercoat for putty. My last p47 i covered with styro spray and it has held up fine.

I have some how tos on my website that might help you out

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/howto/howto.htm

tfarmer96 08-04-2011 01:34 PM

by the way nice drop tanks!

smithsfallsbirdguy 08-04-2011 02:14 PM

Ya the drop tanks are nice. That plane belongs to a friend Alfie, he did alot of nice work with panel lines etc. and he flies it as great as it looks. I am the guy in the red shirt with my bird in front of me. It is pretty much stock. I have seen your web set it is excellent. love the videos.

smithsfallsbirdguy 08-04-2011 02:23 PM

couple more pics, suprisingly hot this year in ontario. and the covering is not a fan of that. next model will be fiberglassed.

smithsfallsbirdguy 08-04-2011 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oops forgot the attachments

jrbarker3 08-05-2011 04:36 AM

Hey Chris!when are we going up again?Are you going to Kingston for the F-Fly?Hope all is well.Alfie.