RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8946260-moki-radial-care-maintenence.html)

Scott Prossen 07-31-2009 04:09 PM

RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

I'm using a 5 cell 2400ma nimh pack for ignition and am using about 350 to 375 ma per flight. Just curious if this is what other Moki users are getting for power draw.
Mitch,

Are you running that direct or through a regulator?

I know of guys doing both as well as running 4 cell 4.8v as opposed to the 5 cell 6volt. I run 4 cell 4.8v NiMh 3000MA and have not had any trouble with that setup. I was eating up about 325 to 375 per flight on mine. I'm guessing the draw would be the same if all the Moki's have the same ignition unit and spark plugs???

Scott

Alex Louw 07-31-2009 04:41 PM

Hi Doug

Thanks for the info.
Did what you said and she started up 3 de flip.
I have black oil dripping from the small pump at the bottom of the engine after I finish running her.
I always see a small puddle 3 of 4 drops under the test stand a few hours after I ran her is this normal?

Other than this she runs like a dream and sounds great.
Have any of you any idea where to get a good set of retracts for thye 3W rare bear.

This tread is a real pool of information thanks for sharing

Regards
Alex

nine o nine 07-31-2009 08:56 PM

I don't use a regulator on the 5 cell pack. I complained to Mike Dooley a while back about the mid range missing I was experiencing and he suggested that I change from 4.8 to 6V. Frankly though I didn't notice any performance difference.
I leaned my low speed needle as much as possible as Doug suggested and it seems to have helped the mid range (where I fly mostly). Time will tell if that's the solution. I'm a bit leery of going to a leaner oil mixture though. I've always used 32:1. Any input from other Moki users about going to 50:1. Mitch

Doolittleraider 07-31-2009 11:19 PM

Doug you mentioned 50:1 a few pages back......is that reccomended for break in as well if not when do you switch?

Mitch I don't think you got my e-mail? ....but to answer your question from way back when I do hope to take this z-corsair to top gun. Can you please post pictures of your baffling set up.

Thanks
Peter

nine o nine 08-01-2009 06:10 AM

Hi Pete, I'm away from home for a few days but I'll post a pic of the baffles when I get home. Mitch

ace123jim 08-02-2009 08:44 AM

Hello Guys,
I'm really happy I found this thread. Several weeks ago, I made a decision to replace the DA-100 on my Wild Hare SU-26 with an RCS 150 radial. The engine arrived last week and is truly a work of art. The SU-26 looks like it was made for this engine. I have spent the weekend beefing up the firewall and engine box. My only concern is with the weak landing gear that comes on the plane. TNT landing gear products has agreed to make a slightly stronger set to handle the additional weight of the engine. I appreciate all the information that is being provided in this forum. None of us want to invest this kind of money in an engine and damage it through lack of information. Thank you Scott for getting all of us connected.

I live in Birmingham, AL USA. If anyone else in this area is flying the MOKI, I would love to get in contact with them.

Jim Griffin
Director
Southern Museum of Flight
[email protected]

Scott Prossen 08-02-2009 09:24 AM

Jim,

What a job title. Who wouldn't love the idea of doing that for a living and this for a hobby. Sounds like a perfect marriage.
We welcome you to the Moki radial brotherhood. With proper care and maintenance your 150 should provide a fantastic experience. From the first time I heard one I felt they were our answer to the round engine prop planes that turbines were to all the jets.

This thread has become a great source of information for us all so use it to your advantage. I'm not aware of this much information available anywhere else on these radials. Lots of fact, how to's, and great opinions/options to help you get up to speed much faster than we were able to several years ago.

Keep us posted on your experiences with your setup, running, and pictures. Please feel free to add what ever you can to the thread. We appreciate all contributions that can be helpful to the rest of the owners/users.

Best of luck,
Scott

nine o nine 08-02-2009 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Pete. Mitch

douglasa 08-06-2009 06:21 AM

Hi Peter,
50:1 from the first tank full on my 150, to date it has just under 11 flying hours on it and runs like a Swiss watch. My friend Stuart has well over 200 hours on a 250 using the same fuel without issues. Another friend has a 150 in a Tempest 2 and runs this at 40:1 without issues, having said that, the model is very heavy (46lbs) so much of the flight is at full throttle. With the higher oil content mixes you will get plug oiling issues especially in lightweight aerobatic aircraft and glider tugs (during the descent from height) where you are using low throttle settings (increasing the flight idle to 1100rpm helps). When we first started to use the 215 (at 32:1) in our glider tug we would continually drop one and sometimes even two cylinders when opening the throttle after the descent, and yes, the engine will happily run on just three cylinders albeit with much reduced power. Since using a 50:1 mix these issues have disappeared.
Best regards,
Doug

douglasa 08-06-2009 06:32 AM

Hi Alex,
What pump at the bottom? Not sure what you mean unless you have the engine fitted upside down.
Rgds,
Doug

Doolittleraider 08-06-2009 07:55 AM

Mitch and Doug thanks for the valuable input!

NCIS 08-06-2009 12:58 PM

Who makes the 400 cc radial. I want to get one for my big Corsair The cowl is 14 5/8" in diameter so it should fit nicely with room to spare.

Barry

Scott Prossen 08-06-2009 01:21 PM

NCIS/ Barry

Moki is the mfg. the distributer here in the USA is TBM. Click the following link. http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/RCS400R.html

The engine is 13.75" in diameter. Good luck with that build. From what I've seen I believe a 25 lbs 400cc engine up there will be a bit much for the model?!?!?

Happy Landings,
Scott

Scott Prossen 08-06-2009 01:58 PM

Peter (Doolittleraider),

Mr. Tianos' Meister P47 flew beautifully today.:) The engine (Moki 150) was flawless. Absolutely perfect! The sound on the fly-by was like.....;):):D.....the reason to own one.
The Meister 47 and that engine are a match made in heaven. Enough gushing for now.

The engine problems initially were found out to be a few items causing the "engine out" and "miss-fire". Those problems were a cracked (ceramic insulation part) spark plug, low and high end needed adjustment, ignition unit was repositioned into the flow of cool air and the battery connection was made more friction tight. The connector between the ign. batt. and switch was a bit loose possibly causing intermittent failure to the ignition unit.

The flight lasted about 8 perfect minutes and then Frank set up to land and the gear did not cooperate:( resulting in a well executed belly landing. It caused only slight scuffing to the bottom of the plane. Frank did a great job killing the engine just before touch down so as not to have a prop strike. The plane was loaded up and taken back to the shop to find that an air hose had blown off the air tank. The fix was complete in about five minutes. A quick sanding of the belly and a little filler and paint and she'll be ready to take to the Warbird Events.

It was really great to see that plane fly with that engine. A real fun thing to watch a buddy build (not assemble) from start to finish and then go fly. Frank can teach us ARF builders a thing or two that's for sure. Thanks Frank, it was a pleasure to see it through with you.

That's it for me about Franks plane. Now as you may recall, I need to get my Meister P-47 (purchased from PJ Ash to re-fit with my 150 Moki) in the air. Got the engine mounted and cowl done. Just need to rework the radio gear, program the 14Z, beef up the retract mounting a bit and go give it shot. I hope to be flying it the week after next. I will keep you all posted on how that 150 Moki goes:([:@][&:][:'(][:-][X(].

Can't wait...see ya later,
Scott

ace123jim 08-06-2009 07:34 PM

Several questions guys. I am using the RCS 150 on my Wild Hare SU-26.

1. I need to extend the two exhaust outlets so that they can pass through the cowl. What is the best technique to use to lengthen the outlets?

2. My engine mount is spaced 1/2 inch from the firewall placing the carb inlet close to the firewall. Should I bore the firewall and add an extension to the carb inlet to suck the air from inside the fuselage?

Thanks

Jim

douglasa 08-07-2009 06:40 AM

Hi Jim,
All you need to extend the exhausts are two lengths of Krumscheid tube, two Teflon couplers, and four spring clamps then dremel off the steel tube just proud of the cowl. I am not certain who distributes the German Krumscheid products in the U.S.A. try DA.
You will need to bore the firewall and make sure that you have good outlet air. I am not familiar with your aircraft please see Post 80 about cooling etc.
Best regards,
Doug

Todd Jackson 08-07-2009 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,
I used 3\4 inch flex copper used for hot water tank hookup. Just cut off the end bend as needed and clamp with a hose clamp.
Todd

Doolittleraider 08-07-2009 09:42 AM

Scott thanks for the update. Todd is that a Ziroli hellcat? How much air exit do have going on? Did you do any mods for cooling?
Thanks
Peter

Todd Jackson 08-07-2009 09:50 AM

Peter,
It is a Ziroli Hellcat and no mods for cooling. Cowl flaps like they came , no baffles and what air can get by the scale exhaust.
Thanks Todd

Doolittleraider 08-07-2009 12:47 PM

Thanks Todd that hellcat is SWEEEEET! When you get a chance it you could posts pictures of the view of the cowl from behind from the top and bottom I'd like to see if the space is comparable to my z-corsair.

Peter

NCIS 08-07-2009 02:04 PM

I checked out the TBM site and it says that Horizon Hobbys is the new distributor but there isn't anything on there either. If not the 400 what size radial would you recommend for a 75lb. to 80lb. plane? A 250 sure won't handle it.

Barry

Scott Prossen 08-07-2009 02:26 PM

Barry,

Not sure where you are getting your information but it does not match with what I see on the TBM site. The engine is right there on the site and currently available/in stock.

Furthermore, I don't understand the basis for your claim that the 250 "sure wouldn't handle it". In fact, I am quite sure it would. I fly a 150 on 45 to 50 pound Warbirds like Yak11's and P-47's so I believe the 250 will fly the stuffing out of the 75 to 80 lbs plane. Remember that a Corsair is not a 3-D aircraft. The 250 will provide ample power whenever needed and more than enough air speed. IMHO of course.

Barry, in reading your thread you said your project would be 75 to 80 lbs w/the 400cc engine on it. I am assuming that your plane without engine is 50 to 55 lbs which is perfect for the 250. It actually might fly like a 3-D aircraft at that weight to power ratio! :D;):D;)

Anyone else out there know the capabilities of the 250 please sound off!

Scott

ace123jim 08-08-2009 06:20 PM

Thanks Douglas and Todd for the suggestions.

Jim

Scott Prossen 08-09-2009 09:36 AM

Hey Jim,

Another source for muffler extensions is B & B Specialties. They sell a stainless steel flex tube with 5/8, 3/4 and 1" ID's. I used the 3/4 on my 150 and it worked perfect. You can't bend it in a knot but it is pretty flexible and will bend as tight as 3" radius +/-. I cut it to length with a hack saw then slit the end that slips over the muffler and tightened it down (crushing it a bit) with a SS hose clamp. On long extensions (they come in one foot long pieces) I support the tubes firmly so they don't vibrate free. Never had a problem and the "Flex Tube" works great.

Check them out. http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm

Hope it helps,
Scott;)

NCIS 08-09-2009 12:21 PM

Scott,

Are the mounting bolt locations the same on the 250 and 400? Plus where can I get a bolt pattern and the location for the choke and throttle pushrods. Are they the same also?
Thanks,

Barry