RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9035700-esm-fairey-swordfish-%22stringbag%22.html)

Ram-bro 05-08-2010 05:22 PM

RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

well the build is comlete, I have a few minor things to do. The balance appears right on. Just for those who are doing removeable wings, I have a set screw on the upper wing spar. I am guessing this will be enough to hold the wings on. I may have it up in the air by next weekend pending the weather.

FNQFLYER 05-09-2010 02:00 AM

What size rods are you using? I was considering 1/8th carbon fibre arrow shafts. I am looking at Hitec micro servos for the choke and throttle servos. All batteries will be NiMH of at least 1000Mah. I am using 2 to the R/x (redundancy, by putting one in the normal battery point and one other in a surplus point on the R/X) and 1 of course to the CDI. All 3will have JR Gold switches. I am using a mix of Spectrum digital servos (the ones that come with the DSX 7 and Hitec 645MG's at this pointfor the rudder and elevator, push rods for the elevator (2 servos) and one servo for the rudder with 20kg fishing trace (plastic coated) for the pull pull system on the rudder. These will have adjustable ends to ensure correct cable tension.
Any comments people please

FNQFLYER 05-09-2010 02:01 AM

Forgot, the DSX 7 servos (4 off ) will be used for the ailerons with that JR Multibox thingy

Robert Bishop 05-10-2010 03:04 PM

I am almost finished. It has been a long, slow and sometimes frustrating build. I have 4 aileron servos working well with differential. My JR 10X transmitter has the aileron differential program available and I added two mix programs for the other 2 servos. Now have complete control over all 4 and can change amount of differential as well as total throw and end point adjustments. If any one is interested I can explain how I did it. (I did get help from JR via a phone call and they were very good)

My last problem to solve is how to attach the wings and prevent them moving spanwise on the tube and upper wing spar. I cannot see an obvious solution. Has any one an idea? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The upper and lower wings slide off as a pair .

Ram-bro 05-10-2010 05:12 PM

Robert, I have a setscrew going into the upper wing composite spar. I am hopeing that the al. tube being as long as it is and the set screw will be enough. I hope to maybe have some video this upcoming weekend of the 1st flight. How did our buddy overseas do it? After seeing Hodges B29 shed a wing while in a flat spin.....its making me rethink some of this. I may add another set of guidewires to the interior wing. The thought of two more guide wires running from one wing panel across and thru the center and across to the other panel is a possibility. Another potential fix would be to once again add removeable guide wires and attach them somewhere in or on the fuse.

Robert Bishop 05-10-2010 06:07 PM

Ram-bro,-thanks for the idea-I will add screws to the composite spar as you suggested. I have an idea for the bottom wings, I will try it out tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

Many thanks

Bob

fockewulf37 05-10-2010 07:02 PM

Hey If ya'll look at the KMP stuf they use to hole the wing together with rubber bands. For the first flights of mine I am going to use a small clear zip tie on the lower wing and probably a set screw or a guide wire like rambo said on the top wing...

Ty

Ram-bro 05-10-2010 10:15 PM

how are you using the zip tys TY? Boy that s hard to say......:D

fockewulf37 05-10-2010 10:23 PM

inner struts to outer struts on top of the bottom wing...they are right beside each other where the wing plugs in..

Ram-bro 05-10-2010 10:30 PM

I will check that out Ty. That would be simple enuff

fockewulf37 05-10-2010 10:35 PM

to make if that works you could always put a small bolt throught it there ...

ty

Robert Bishop 05-11-2010 02:34 PM

Ram Bro and Ty and fockewulf37,
I have finished bolting on the wings. I tapped the upper composite spar  6-32 and used socket head cap screws to lock it in. On the bottom wings I drilled through the wing strut and into the landing gear upper strut, then tapped the upper strut 6-32. The tapped hole is on a bit of an angle but it looks OK. I have a photo but do not know how to post it. If some one could give me an idea as to how to post photos I will be glad to do so.

Many thanks for all your help.

Bob

fockewulf37 05-11-2010 03:00 PM

Bob,
You have go to the post reply at bottom of page. It has option there on the next page for adding photos.

Robert Bishop 05-11-2010 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Robert Bishop 05-11-2010 06:02 PM

Thanks Ty-hope the photo is useful

Bob

fockewulf37 05-11-2010 07:10 PM

That is what I was talking about ... perfectfor holding the wing together...

Ty

zoomer199 05-11-2010 09:34 PM

Has anyone found a source for pilots?

Ram-bro 05-11-2010 11:14 PM

Robert, excellent idea. I will do the same for mine

fockewulf37 05-13-2010 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I have been slow but I have been really busy with family stuff.

Well I mounted the cowl mount onto the fuse just like the manual says except I use Goop along with the screws.
I also mounted the cowl ring into the cowl itself with goop. I feel that it just holds better over a long period of time.

fockewulf37 05-13-2010 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to try A123 batteries in this plane but there is just not enought room for the packs in the cowl. So I ordered me new 5 cell lipos that I think will fit in the cowl. The next thing I did was to mount the motor. If you look into the front of the cowl area the circle in the firewall is not centered. I alway mount the cowls on my planes first and then mount the motor so i can get ihem centered. First I made a stand off to get the motor out into the cowl area. I want the standoff to be one piece and to be flush to the front of the cowl mounting ring. I used several pieces of 3/4" ply and glued them together to the right thickness. I then mark my holes and drilled the hole all the way throught the standoff.
I then set up the fuse vertically. Its best and easiest of the rudder and elevatorsare not on the plane already. Once the fuse is vertical. I take the motor and place it on the standoff and put the correct size screw but shorter than the standoff. I then with cowl in place put wood glue on the base of the standoff and set it on the firewall.
I then make sure the propshaft is centered in the cowl. Once this is done I let it set overnight . Once the glue is dry I then drill the hole on through the firewall. When I need really long bolts I make them from threaded rod. I also had to make some round standoffs to gwet the motor to the correct position. I put locknuts on the back of the bolts and washers . I push these through the back of the firewall and then mount the motor with lock nuts on the front....

Ty

fockewulf37 05-14-2010 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a little more work done. I am planning on putting the lipo batteries in the cowl. The ones I plan on using will fit in the cowl itself. I decided that i need to make the cowl mount a little stronger. I made some brackets out of 1/8 A/C ply. I installed them into the back of the cowl ring with epoxy. This will double the amount of area that holds the cowl in place. I also took a heavy duty cardboard tube and made a cover for the motor. This will protect the batteries from hitting the motor . It will also help keep the batteries in place...I will have to remove the prop and batteries each time. I am trying to figure out if I can use the dummy motor with this setup to make it look better...Also if anyone messes up there Radial motor I made a plug for it.. I figured I would have to cut mine and wanted to be able to replace it if needed...

Ty

fockewulf37 05-15-2010 04:12 AM

BTW has anyone verified the CG location on this plane?? I am about ready to check the CG and want to make sure it is right....

Ty

Ram-bro 05-16-2010 03:09 PM

Ty ,wish I could tell you but still havent flown mine as I had planned

fockewulf37 05-16-2010 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, If the balance point is as marked in the manual mine is balanced perfectly.. The flying wires are functional on this one right??? The top wing will move if they were not on the plane?? I am making a fix for the torpedo. It will have a shroud and prop blades :D LIKE THE REAL ONE!!! Ty

fockewulf37 05-17-2010 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I am reall excited. I just finished up the tail fin for the Torpedo. I think it turned out really nice. I designed a easy to put together kit that will include all the parts to make it except for a couple of washers used as spacers... Anyway I took the torpedo and cut off the fins and sanded the rear smooth. The retro kit is all built up and you just slide it into place. You do have to install a hardpint in the rear of the torpedo for the propellers. But that is easy. I will have a video up on how to put it together later today....

Ty