RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

SBDdauntless 06-07-2011 08:35 AM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

I have been working on the Skyraider and have made some progress. It seems that I have been sanding and sanding with no real progress to show. However, I have started to cover the bottom of the outer wing panels. I hope to get the top side done tonight. The center section is all sanded and ready to be covered also. Hopefully by the weekend I can have the entire wing glassed and ready to the first coat of primer. I will post some pixs at that time. I do have the canopy ready to be installed...it really does look like a AD5 now.

Steve, how is your building going? Is it time to start back on the Skyraider yet?

Firebar...lets see some pixs/movies of the new folding wing! How is the painting going??

Later, back to work!
SBD

WARBIRDRCER 06-07-2011 03:32 PM

Hello SBD and Charlie,

Charlie, I picked up some of the decals and scanned them for you. The squadron insignias yellow circle on the Fuselage is 5” in diameter with the smaller of the two Knight and Hawk. The drop tank yellow circle is 6 3/4” with the larger of the two Knight and Hawk. Now for what diameter we need to reduce them to for our planes is open for comment. I have not figured that yet. If you are unable to use the attached photos I may ask a friend here to scan them at his vinyl shop and cut some smaller ones.

The Tank placards are for the drop tank, and the prop, well you know.

Hope these help you with your finish.

Now for my project. SBD, two builder/flying friends of mine got tired of waiting on me and felt sorry for me always working on cars or home fix-ur-uppers, so they offered to help. The drop dead date for the first flight is December 31, 2011. Ray, in the photo has cut all of the fuselage formers in just a few hours. Maser, from the Dave Platt T-28 build is going to complete the fuselage. Ray is starting the Vertical Fin, Horizontal Stab, rudder, and elevators. I am required to complete the wing and get all of the needed items ordered.

I guess the build is on. I will keep you posted as it develops.

Firebar 06-08-2011 12:16 PM

Steve,
Glad to hear that you are making progress on your Skyraider. On sheet 1 of the plans the scale is noted as 1/5.82. To scale things from the full scale plane just take the dimension in inches and divide by 5.82. So the 5" squadron insignia would be .359 or about 3/8" dia.

I haven't made the progress that I hoped to. I have been going flying instead of working on the plane. I got the bottom of my plane painted white and I got it masked for painting of the gray. I am going to try to paint tomorrow morning before it heats up to much. A friend of mine will make a decal of the squadron insignia. The one I want to make is on the left side just in front of the cockpit. Would you email a photo, taken straight on, of the badge to me. He can take the photo and print it on decal paper for me.

Thanks
Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 06-08-2011 05:24 PM

Charlie,

I will be at the airport tomorrow evening and will get the photo for you. Once complete, how much would it cost to have me a set of all of the placards and markings made for me.

WARBIRDRCER 06-09-2011 04:49 PM

Charlie,

Just returned with these. If not able to use here I can e-mail you the jpeg.

Thanks

Firebar 06-17-2011 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve
The image of the squadron insignia on RCU is to small to work with. Would you email a larger file to me?

I have been making progress on the Skyraider this week but I have a long way to go. I am working on masking the cowling today. I think this will finish driving me crazy.

Charlie

Firebar 06-28-2011 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been working steadily on the Skyraider in an effort to get it ready to fly in July. Progress, while steady, it is slow going masking and painting. I have almost finished the exterior and am starting to reinstall some of the hardware. One thing that I noticed is that the plane in OK has one of the "RESCUE" markings on the left side painted upside down. I checked photos of the plane taken in the 60's and it faces the rear. I pained me to duplicate it but it is a model of this plane.
Steve, I could use a few photos of the interior if you are at the museum.

Charlie

lkahn4 06-28-2011 01:31 PM

Charlie
What a beautiful paint and decal job, kudos to you my friend. Can't wait to see the pix of the Raider assembled. Even though the Avenger is making headway at work I'm still getting antsy about starting my T-28 but until I know when the condo is going to sell I don't want to take a chance that I will get halfway through the wing and have to move into an apartment.
I am going to Arizona on the 21st and am hoping to get to the boneyard, if it loks like I will get there I will let everyone know in case someone needs pix of certain aircraft.

Larry

Firebar 07-06-2011 03:35 PM

I have been working steadily on the Skyraider this week. It doesn't look like anything is being accomplished but little things take a lot of time. Unfortunately I won't have it ready to fly at WOD next week but I hope to take it along with me. As soon as I finish the cockpit I will get it outside for photos and wing fold video.

Steve, you may want to think twice about this paint scheme. I have used six rolls of masking tape and am still not quite done. The number of different colors have made it a taping nightmare. By the way I hate masking lightening bolts. They look simple enough but getting them on correctly and making them opposite hand on the other side can make you crazy.

Larry, I hope you get to visit the boneyard. I have never been there but the photos that I have seen make it a place to visit on my list. I don't know if they still have Grumman S2F Trackers there but if you see one take a few photos for me. Especially if one has 7W on the tail. You have to keep thinking ahead.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 07-06-2011 04:26 PM

Charlie,

Thanks for the paint warning. I may heed your advice. I only thought it would be neat to fly a model of the full scale I have flown and flown in. I do like your Navy white and international orange. Looks like it would be easier to see. I may copy that one.

As for the S2, is there one in your future? :D

Firebar 07-09-2011 10:56 AM

Steve
The bright red/orange color scheme is easy to see. I liked it because it was a little different than the standard gray over white or the navy blue. If we can have four full scale mustangs all painted as OLD CROW why can't we have more than one model painted the same? I am liking the VAQ 33 scheme since it is very colorful. It is just a lot of work to mask.

I have been working on plans for the S-2 on and off for two years. The plans are about 75% complete. The Navy flew them from an Air Station a few miles from my house for many years so I am fond of the plane plus I have seen only one model of it. I was planning to start construction of the S-2 this fall but have decided to build a Ziroli D-18 to replace the one that I lost two years ago. The S-2 is on the list after that.

The Skyraider is getting closer to completion. I have begun the final install of the servos, engine, gas tank etc. The cockpit is almost ready to install also. It looks like one to two weeks more to get it ready for the first engine runs.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 07-09-2011 02:03 PM

Charlie,

Keep me posted on the flights with the DA-85. I have a DA-85 for mine also, and unsure of the finish weight am waiting to see how the engine performs. Looking forward to seeing a video of your flight. A friend is flying a Ziroli F4U with it and it flys well.

Did you have all of the placards and marking for the AD-5 made in vinyl? If so, I would like to buy a set just in case I go with my original plan.

Steve

Firebar 07-17-2011 03:56 PM

Steve
I painted most of the graphics on the Skyraider. A friend in the club cut the smaller numbers and letters for me in vinyl. I am still trying to get the squadron badges made. I will send a set to you if I am successful.

I have been working on the Skyraider almost continuously trying to have it ready for Warbirds Over Delaware this past weekend. I didn't quite get it ready to fly but got it close enough to show it and demonstrate the wing fold to quite a few people. As it turned out I was a little under the weather and didn't fly at all this weekend. Tomorrow I plan to be back at it finishing the Skyraider for a first flight in time for Warbirds Over PA next weekend.

Charlie

pkoury 07-17-2011 07:28 PM

Here is a system that will let you design your graphics on your computer then turn them into a dry tramsfer decal. It took a little practice to get the system down but it may help with your graphics probelm.
http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/

Firebar 07-19-2011 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I snapped a few photos of the Skyraider on Saturday at WOD. I am still adding some details and working on getting everything programmed into the radio. I will get some more photos later in the week in preparation for the first flight.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 07-19-2011 02:18 PM

Charlie,

The plane looks great. I am amazed at how real it looks. You are a master builder. Do you plan to compete with it? I hope you get a video of it flying.

WARBIRDRCER 07-19-2011 02:21 PM

Thanks for the lead.

WARBIRDRCER 07-19-2011 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: SBDdauntless

I have been working on the Skyraider and have made some progress. It seems that I have been sanding and sanding with no real progress to show. However, I have started to cover the bottom of the outer wing panels. I hope to get the top side done tonight. The center section is all sanded and ready to be covered also. Hopefully by the weekend I can have the entire wing glassed and ready to the first coat of primer. I will post some pixs at that time. I do have the canopy ready to be installed...it really does look like a AD5 now.

Steve, how is your building going? Is it time to start back on the Skyraider yet?

Firebar...lets see some pixs/movies of the new folding wing! How is the painting going??

Later, back to work!
SBD
SBD,

Yes, I have started back on the wing and a flying buddy is helping with the fuselage. We have a planned flight ready date before our Warbirds Over Oklahoma date of May 2012. How is your build coming?

SBDdauntless 07-26-2011 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is our Skyraider thread but I have to talk about my SBD. We were at Warbirds Over PA on Saturday and it was HOT, HOT, HOT. I was getting many compliments regarding my SBD. I was feeling good. Even my daughter and her hubby showed up with their friends. So, It was time to fly the SBD...I had a great 15 second flight. As soon as the wheels left the ground a wing bolt left the airframe. She was about 2 feet off the ground and without a secure wing she fell nose first taking out the cowl and the first two and a half ribs. This was 15 minutes before the half time static show. The best thing that happened to me was many people came up to me for my pilot number and placed a vote for my plane. What a great feeling to have after a crash. Thanks to the spectators and pilots at this warbird event. I took her home and started to work to repair the damages. Here are a few photo of my progress so far......

Firebar 07-26-2011 02:27 PM

SBD
That was a tough break for a very nice plane. It is good to hear that you are taking it in stride and that the repairs look to be going well.

I am still working through the little details on my Skyraider. Adjusting things and getting ready for the first engine runs. Today I balanced the plane and found that I needed a lot more nose weight than the other Skyraider needed. It seems that the DA-85 is 8 oz lighter than the 3W75 and the rear carb is shifting the weight of the engine closer to the CG causing the need for more nose weight.

Steve
I don't plan to compete with the Skyraider. I just don't have the nerves for competition. I will post some better photos and a wing fold video soon. Hopefully later this week. With installing everything back into the plane it just wasn't possible to get it out of the shop for photos. Are there any photos of your progress yet?

Charlie

Firebar 07-31-2011 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday the weather cooperated and I was able to get the plane out for some photos. Now the final preparations for the first flight. I hope you like the photos and the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKkN..._order&list=UL

Charlie

lkahn4 07-31-2011 01:25 PM

Charlie,
What an excellent job on the Skyraider, beautiful, the wings work really well...many kudos for the engineering and pulling off a Top Gun contender. Was in Arizona Last weekend and John had issues at home last week so 2 weeks and no work on the Avenger.
Tues or Thurs we hope to get the landing gear and bomb bay doors fully servo operated and will take some pix of our set up..

Talk soon
Larry

WARBIRDRCER 08-01-2011 06:36 PM

Charlie,

I received my package in the mail. Thank you for the decals.

The plane really looks great.

5" HVARs (Rockets)

Are these the rockets you have for the Skyraider? If not, do you offer these in 1/5 scale? A friend is needing some for his Corsair.

Thanks,

Firebar 08-02-2011 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve
I made the rockets from Estes BT-20 rocket tubes and their balsa nose cones. The tubes are good for running the wiring in the wings also. They are about 3/4" dia and I made them 12 7/16 long which is pretty close to scale.

The insignias that I sent to you are vinyl. Just trim them as close as possible to the image, peel the backing off and place them on the model.

Charlie

SBDdauntless 08-11-2011 05:32 PM

Hey Firebar any update on that beautiful Skyraider? Waiting patiently for the maiden flight.

I have the wing glassed and primed on my Skyraider.
Still sanding the center section primer.
She is still on hold because of the Dauntless mishap.

Need to get the SNJ out now that it is converted over to 2.4.

Steve any progress on your Skyraider?
Did you ever get the retracts designed and make yet?