RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

maser 08-12-2011 10:06 AM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Charlie,

I would be very interested should you pursue the S-2 Tracker.

Boyd.

Firebar 08-13-2011 09:37 AM

SBD, I did get the maiden flight in on the new Skyraider last Friday. The folding wing worked fine. I had some trim issues to fix and the air cylinder on the canopy slide was sticking. I think I have those issues corrected and I am anxious to get her out for the next flight. The friend that was taking still photos got only blurry photos of the flight so I don't have any flight photos to post. I will try to get some flight photos on the second flight.

Boyd, I have ordered the retracts for the Tracker from Sierra. I am not sure when they will show up so I started another Ziroli twin Beechcraft this week to fill in until they arrive. I am afraid to start the Tracker without the gears in hand.

Steve, Any updates?

lkahn4 08-13-2011 11:33 AM

Charlie,
You are my idol, can't wait to see the pix and video of the Skyraider, the video of the folding wings was awesome.
I'm impressed about the Tracker, pretty plane, and I know it will be just as impressive as the the rest of yout fleet.
Don't know if you have been following the Avenger thread but we finally got the gear working perfectly and next is the BomB bay doors, we are getting close and itchy to get this done before the end of this flying season. Alas John fell off his truck last Wed and damaged some ribs on his back so he may be out of commision for a couple of weeks and I have to start packing up the condo for the move to an apartment here.
Depending on when the new people tell me we are closing I may bring the tail feathers hone to cover so we can get those attached and working... just seems like there is NEVER enough time, I envy the time you get to tinker and fly..

Later
Larry

WARBIRDRCER 08-13-2011 04:09 PM

SBD, Nothing major to report. I have started laying out my sheeting to start covering the wing sections.
I am now being assisted by a friend who feels sorry for me. He remembers what it is like trying to scratch build with a full time job and kids at home. I am sure most people in this part of the hobby can relate. Also with flying season being in full swing I spend time repairing my goofs at the field so I can fly the next available time. Maser for the T-28 build thread says we have a date set to fly it before Warbirds Over Oklahoma in May of 2012. Another friend has already cut the fuselage formers and stab parts. Keep us posted on your build.

Charlie hold off on Maser’s S-2 plans until he helps me complete my AD-5. If he gets those plans I am doomed:D.

maser 08-15-2011 12:35 PM

Charlie,

It sounds like you have a set of plans. If so can I purchase some. Also, if you have the plans, do you also have cowls, canopy etc.?

Thanks.

Boyd.

Firebar 08-24-2011 03:09 PM

Boyd
I have drawn the Tracker plans but I cannot finish them without the Sierra gears. I need to lay in the hardwood mountings for the retracts before I can complete the nacelle layout and the fuselage nose section. I will make molds for the cowlings and the cockpit glass while I build the prototype.

In other news I can now offer laser cut short kits for Skyraider builders that want to get started more quickly. The short kit will include all of the wing and stabilizer ribs, fuse formers and the shaped parts. It also includes an ordering list of the materials needed to complete the model.

Charlie

maser 08-24-2011 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Charlie,

I am helping WARBIRDRCER build his AD-5 and will post the following as to my portion of the build.

No commentary, just pictures. I thought that's all that would need to be done at this time. This is the stab build part.

maser 08-24-2011 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More Stab Build

maser 08-24-2011 06:19 PM

Charlie,

I have built several models from Ziroli, Claude McCullaugh, Top Flite, Dave Platt etc. and find your plans to be exceptionally well done.

Thanks.

Boyd.

WARBIRDRCER 08-24-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks Boyd, The progress looks good.

lkahn4 08-25-2011 03:17 PM

Boyd,
No plans for the S-2 until you finish the T-28 I need to see how it ends so that when I finally move into my new apartment I can start.. found a 1,450 SF apartment with a FULL (1,450 SF)Basement :)
Besides you're at least 1 kit ahead of me, as my build partner took a terrible fall 2 weeks agao and the Avenger has NOT had anything done to it now for 3 weeks :(
Hoping to get back to it next week if the Hurricane doesn't rip the roof off the building at work....
I need to get the on baord glo working on my Pitts so I can get a few flights before the season ends here and still need to rework the engines on the P-38 now that I have the aluminum spinners done....
Hope everyone is having a great flying season

Larry

maser 08-25-2011 07:13 PM

Larry,

Not to worry, the T-28 comes first. I plan to start posting on the T-28 thread soon.I plan to have it ready by next season to fly.

Let me know how the P-38 comes out. I'm in the process of building a Super Cosair from the Ziroli plans, then a blown up Claude McCullough Martin AM-1 Mauler (100"). Also working on a blown up P-39 Airacobra 10.5 foot.

Lots of SF sounds like you won't have a building problem.

Boyd

WARBIRDRCER 08-25-2011 07:28 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: maser

Also working on a blown up P-39 Airacobra 10.5 foot.

So much for Crypto :D :) [X(] :eek: ;)

SBDdauntless 09-29-2011 06:56 AM

It's been over a month since I last posted or even touched my Skyraider. We started a project in the back yard that has totally distracted me. The only thing I have done is fix the Dauntless to the point of primer and cursed the rain gods for the last month. We started an inground pool and I think we opened the vortex to all weather. I was able to get to Warbirds Over New Jersey and flew my SNJ. Had two real nice flights. Charlie Kellogg was there with his newest AD5. Modeled after the Skyraider in the Museum in Oklahoma. Will make you proud Steve. Here is a link to the you tube movie I posted of the Skyraider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4j5f_mGUi0

Later,
Fran

WARBIRDRCER 09-30-2011 04:50 PM

Maser,
Are you taking notes? Charlie you have raised the bar. The AD-5 looks great. After seeing yours, it will be hard not to continue with completing mine with the same colors.

SBD,
I will try and get some pics of the prograss I have made. Started sheeting my wing to try and keep up with Maser on the build. Keep us posted on your build.

Firebar 10-13-2011 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the Skyraider out this weekend and a friend got a photo that I like. I thought SBD and Steve might need some inspiration to get things moving again.
The weather has been so bad this summer that I actually flew the red tailed Skyraider on Saturday and went back Sunday with the Checkered nose Skyraider.

Any updates Steve?

Charlie

lkahn4 10-13-2011 01:18 PM

Charlie,
You are an inspiration to us all, the plane is one beautiful piece of work

Larry

butlern 10-13-2011 05:23 PM

Awesome shot, Charlie!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Noah

Firebar 10-18-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks for the complements guys.

Noah, I hope that you still have a Skyraider on your building list. I am making a few improvements to the folding wing plans and directions to include the "as built" changes. I will be offering the folding wing plans in a few weeks.
I am still looking for a company to water jet cut the hinges. I have sent RFQ's to two companies with no response. I guess the economy isn't as slow as I thought. If anyone knows a company with water jet capability I would like to talk to them.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 12-08-2011 07:04 PM

Not much progress to show, but you know what they say.

Question: How many rivets does it take to finish an airplane? Answer: 1, so I guess I will keep building along.

WARBIRDRCER 12-16-2011 11:55 AM

Charlie and Boyd,

Look what I ran across on the ramp while in Liberal, KS at the Mid-America Air Museum.
Thought you guys would like to see it.

Firebar 12-16-2011 01:56 PM

Steve, you are killing me. The photos of the Stoof are great. please send a set of the full resolution shots to my email.

I am in the middle of building a Ziroli twin Beechcraft for next summer and I got the fuselage and wing kit for a Ziroli T-6 to build while I wait for Sierra Giant Scale to send me the landing gears for the S2F. It has been 18 months so far so the gears may be ready to hatch soon.

Have you and Boyd made any progress on your Skyraider?

lkahn4 12-16-2011 02:40 PM

Charlie,
Can't wait to see the first pix of the s2f, I will post to the avenger site over the weekend

Larry

WARBIRDRCER 01-07-2012 07:52 PM

January 7, 2012 Update,

Well it is hard to believe I started this build in October of 2009 and now on January 7, 2012 I have the wing halves joined together. I can say it has been fun cutting all the parts out from the plans that Charlie provides, and amazingly my parts all fit rather nicely with minimal sanding. Thanks Charlie! Spar alignment looks good, wash out checks okay, so now on to completing things like the landing gear install, servo mounts and panels, build up the flaps and ailerons, then more sheeting and finishing wood touches, then fiberglass. Charlie my build was a little unorthodox due to my wing idea I did not follow through with, but the wing tubes are in, and I installed FWD and AFT anti-rotation pins in the out board panels too. Once I get it flipped over I will show you what I did on the tube and outboard panel installations.

Well best call it an evening.

WARBIRDRCER 01-08-2012 07:09 PM

Sunday evening update.

My little helper and I spent the day in the shop. One of the photos is him designing his own plane. Had to take some time out to help him cut it out too. Also wanted to show you the underside view.