RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

SBDdauntless 11-26-2009 10:03 AM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Thanksgiving to All!

I did have a little time in the basement to build this morning. I started the Aileron and Flap. They are very easy to assemble. You build them flat on the board right over the plans. I built them at the same time to (hopefully) get them the same match at the trailing edge! Here are some photos of Aileron/Flap construction.

itzbear 11-27-2009 01:19 AM

Hello to all I see their is a new thread. Great. I've been out of the country for some time. Good to be back.

Itzbear

WARBIRDRCER 11-27-2009 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Holidays

SBDdauntless 11-27-2009 09:31 PM

Welcome itzbear!

Did you ever get in touch with Kellogg Plans.
Did you order your Skyraider yet?

I have been making pretty good progress since we started the new thread. I spend the last couple hours clean up the work shop. I was starting to trip over sanding dust and all those little cut off pieces. I have to go to Home Depot tomorrow to get some scroll saw blades that G10 really eats them up!

Glad you checked in...always happy to get new input and feedback!

SBD

SBDdauntless 11-28-2009 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been working on the flap hinges today. I cut the G10 to fit the plywood hinges. I did have to make a stop at home depot for some new blades. It didn't take long to cut the G10 to size. I tried to cut the G10 only and it vibrated alot on the thin areas. So I glued the G10 to the hinge one side at a time and use the hinge as the cutting template. I was very careful not to cut the wood hinge. I just file to final size. It may have only been only half hour and a about one hour total to make the one set of hinges. Here are some photo of the finished hinges. They fit very nicely over the 1/2" stock. Next step is to fit to the wing and get them to deploy nice and smooth.

WARBIRDRCER 11-29-2009 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SBDdauntless

Looks as you are really making progress. Well I did finish cutting my W-11 through W-17 ribs this evening. Now I may get to start gluing some parts now. I keep telling my flying friends I should have it ready for Warbirds 2011.:D

SBDdauntless 12-05-2009 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Busy time of year. I haven't had much time since Thanksgiving to work on the Skyraider. I made a centering tool which is large enough to fit on the aileron to find center for the hinge location. Here are some quick photos of the aileron hinges.

Crap! Wrong photo for #3, that is the flap hinge. I don't know how to delete something once it is uploaded. SOOOOOOO, here is the correct #3 photo...I hope! It shows the hole in the leading edge of the aileron for the pin hinge.

WARBIRDRCER 12-06-2009 01:15 AM

SBDdauntless,

I too have been doing the family thing. However I did cut my F-1 Former/Firewall out today. My plan is to build a test engine box and attach to F-1 & F-2 with cowling to see if I can install a GT-80 Twin. I borrowed one from a friend and am trying low profile spark plugs with side clip plug lead ends. I think it is going to work, but won't know for sure until I get it all mounted. If so, no cowling cuts and I will be able to fab an exhaust ring with scale exaust tube locations.

Will let you know.

Your AD-5 is looking good.

SBDdauntless 12-06-2009 07:32 AM

WarbirdRcer,

That would cool if it fits. What a great sound if would add to final build. I know the 3W75 does a nice job, but a GT-80...NICE!!!!!!! I am very interested in the exhaust. A scale exhaust would be something see. Did I ever give you the specs for the 3W75? It's just as easy to make 2 systems....just kidding, But let me know how you make out on that part of the project. It the cowl is a little tight would you consider cutting it in quarters and expanding. I doubt a 1/2" expansion would be noticeable. It would be worth the minor change for the GT-80!

I made a photo addition to my previous post. I screwed up a photo. So, jump back two and see the hinge cut out point.

SBD

WARBIRDRCER 12-06-2009 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SBDdauntless,

The photos show the GT-80 in the cowl without spark plugs.
The first is with powerplant sitting flat on table and cowl sitting flat on table.
The second is with powerplant sitting on stand-offs with crank flange flush with cowl.
The third is with powerplant sitting on stand-offs with crank flange as far forward as possible.
The fourth is with powerplant raise to it's highest position.

I will get some short length plugs, side clip plug leads, and bench fit again. If all looks as if it will work I will build the false front and mount and run in the cowling.

SBDdauntless 12-08-2009 02:16 PM

Wow,
That is a tight fit. Will the spark plugs really fit inside the cowl?
Will you have enough room for a dummy engine to dress up the front?
That will be so cool with scale exhaust!!!!!!

Did you start gluing up the wing yet. I need to get some servos so I can close up the one wing half.
Hopefully I can get the bottom sheeting on the other wing half.

WARBIRDRCER 12-08-2009 10:07 PM

SBDdauntless,

With the standard plugs and boots it will not clear, but with short plugs and side clip plug ends I hope it will fit.

As for the depth. If you mount the engine to the firewall there is 3 3/4 inches between the prop flange and the forward cowling.

I hope it will work.

WARBIRDRCER 12-09-2009 07:03 PM

Hope you enjoy. Check out the AD-5's in the Korean videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHq3f7lc2Y WWII Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjDQi0Du_1I WWII Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mo57yT4Ujk Korean

SBDdauntless 12-10-2009 10:42 AM

This is Cool! Look at this to see what you can do with balsa, plywood and glue. A friend of mine sent me this today!
Click on this link for Mosquito Manufacturing-1944....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8hdIqL7y4

WARBIRDRCER 12-10-2009 07:54 PM

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video. I did not know the Mosquito was built that way. Wish I had the time and money to build one of each of the aircraft I like. As a kid I had over 100 plastics, If only they were RC now.

AD-5 News
I have a couple of days off and the temps are going to be low, so I should get some work done on the engine test fit and glue some ribs.

WARBIRDRCER 12-12-2009 08:00 PM

SBDdauntless,

Attention: WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA now has it’s own web-site.
Please visit our site at http://warbirdsoverok.org/

Thank you for your support and I will see you at Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2010.

WARBIRDRCER

DogFly 12-15-2009 09:15 PM

Hey guys,
I don't know if you have checked out this webaite, but this link has some amazing Skyraider pics, video, and info.
Check it out:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=168382

SBDdauntless 12-16-2009 05:13 PM

WOW,
Thanks Dogfly!
I am on business in WV and this was really needed.

WARBIRDRCER 12-16-2009 08:12 PM

SBDdauntless,

Just an update to say no update. I went last Friday for a consult for lasik on my eyes and went back that afternoon for the procedure. Basically I have been down on my eyes since.
Quite a correction was required and the Doc today told me to expect more time to recover. Kind of hard to work on anything with such blurred vision.

How are things coming along on your AD-5

DogFly, thanks for the Skyraider links. Makes for late night viewing fun.

SBDdauntless 12-24-2009 09:04 AM

I know it's Christmas Eve but I hope Santa takes one last look at RC Universe....so here goes

My wish list for the Skyraider.....
• 3W75 or DA100 Engine...your choice
• 10 or 11 JR servos
• Paint
• 2 nice life like pilots (Perfer one expereinced AD5 pilot)
• 4 blade prop
• Finishing material
• glue and debonder to get my finger apart
• two elves to work on the plane while I am at work (If you can only spare 1 OK)

and one last thing to add

A JR Spectrum12X 2.4GHz Programmable Systems with R1221 Receiver!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!

WARBIRDRCER 12-24-2009 12:09 PM

SBDdauntless,

Great list, does your wife read RCU;)

Did you know the DA-100 is 11" wide, as compaired to the Zenoah GT-80 or Fuji BT-86EI which are 10" wide on average.

Have a Marry Christmas

WARBIRDRCER 12-24-2009 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SBD,
12-25-2009

Attached are photos of my situation.
1st is of a top view of the plan at rib W-17 location and washout shim located.
2nd is side view. Note location of rib to shim.
3rd is with a shim in the location based on the CD photo WA010.
4th is from CD showing shim located FWD of lower aft spar at W-17. Notice this photo appears to show the spar lifted from the building board. My be an illusion.
5th is CD photo WA001 with no shim in place.:eek:

12-26-2009

I just noticed my plan has 17 ribs listed on the plan and CD photo WA050 shows only 15 ribs on the plan. This may answer why by the time I get to the end rib (W-17) on my plan the washout shim is to far aft of the rib to reach.
Does your plan show a W-15 or W-17 end rib? See photo 1 and 6 for examples.
I bet that photo 4 shows the shim at rib 15 location, not 17 as I have. This would explain the shim location.

SBDdauntless 12-26-2009 10:54 PM

Wow, you really have me thinking of how my wing was built. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I think the back of the bottom main spar is raised off the building table. I was looking at the other wing half and it is off the building board. I just didn't notice it I guess. I will take a better look at it tomorrow and take some photos.

Well I did get the two pilots and a dummy engine. I also got a plastic model of the AD5.

WARBIRDRCER 12-27-2009 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SBDdauntless,

Thanks for the response. Just in case you see this first we are one hour behind you.

We had 14" of snow on 12-24 and that led to a white Christmas. A seldom seen thing for Oklahoma.

I think the construction of the wing can be accomplished in several ways. Heck I am building mine from W-10 left to W-10 right in one step and stopping construction at the spar seperation of W-10/W-11. I am going to build the outer panels after that. I did however pin up the left wing panel for allignment purposes as the plan shows. This is where I discovered the fitting question.

I will say this is a great design. The flow of the build is great and I should be sheeting the wing sections soon. Never thought I would like cutting parts so much, but can't wait to start on the horz stab next.

As you can see my little helper is checking out my build job. He really helps me with drilling and holding things. I hope by the time he is 5 we can build him a T-41 Cessna from a Senior Kadit kit as his first gas 80" wingspan war bird.

We did cut a project out for his mom.

WARBIRDRCER 12-27-2009 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay,

I never get as far as I think I can in a day. I did get the left outer wing ribs glued in place to the lower and upper main spars. I shut down with the leading edge 1/4 x 1/4 spruce and 1 5/8 balsa drying in place from W-10 right through W-17 left.

As you can see I am leaving the landing gear area open until we get the gear system designed and made.

You can not tell from the photos, but there are splices at W-10 & W-11, and where the main spars are cut 5" either side of W-1A.