RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

SBDdauntless 12-28-2009 08:17 PM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Like your extra pair of hands. Worked on the wing today. Hope to sheet the bottom tomorrow. Where was that museum again. I want to look up that AD5 we spoke about.

WARBIRDRCER 12-29-2009 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SBDdauntless,

The link is below, but it is Navy colors too.

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/AD-5.html

I will see if the guys at the museum here know where one in USAF colors is located.

Well I shut down tonight after installing the sheer webbing on the outboard left wing panel. Oh yea I also cleaned up my work area.

I did help my friend today with fabing up a cowling and wheel paints for his scratch built WACO SRE, or WWII UC-72 project.

WARBIRDRCER 12-29-2009 11:01 PM

DocYates,

Went back to the start of the thread to review some of SBD's pics and saw your post.

How are you coming on your AD-5? Please share some photos and any tips during your build.

DocYates 01-04-2010 03:05 PM

Warbird,
I am in the process of trying to figure out a paint scheme and rigging the big bird. The biggest obstacle thus far for me has been the tailwheel and getting the proper throw and movement back there. I finally resolved myself to open up the sides of the fuse back there an reinstall the controls and place a servo underneath the horizontal stab (accessed thru a panel where the arresting hook will attach). I have my 3W-80 installed and there is very little showing from beneath the cowling. I have been burning rivets in the skin and trying to fix all of the little hanger rashes that have occurred. Hopefully I will have some pics soon. I can't bring myself to take a picture when it is in the condition it is in right now. BTW I have two of the Elite Force aviators in the cockpit of my plane and they look great. Perfect size for the AD-5.

WARBIRDRCER 01-04-2010 06:42 PM

DocYates,

Sounds great. Do not worry about the looks as of now, just look at where I am with mine. It does not even look like an airplane.

Do you have a web-site for the pilots?

DocYates 01-05-2010 08:28 AM

They are the typical 1/6 scale figures that Frank Tiano sells. Mine were dressed up a little with some sunglasses and maps and look pretty good in the cockpit. Will try and get some pics soon, even though I think it bad luck to take pics before the maiden....LOL

SBDdauntless 01-12-2010 05:37 PM

Hi guys, I am still working on the Skyraider. I have been working on the bomb drop linkages. I have been taking photos and will hopefully up load them some time this week. Have been very busy at work since the Christmas break. I did take a ride to Trains and Lanes over the holidays. They have alot to choose from. I will be ordering some servos this week to complete athe wing. I was looking at Chief Aircraft. They have a nice deal on JR DS821 Digital Sport Hi-Torque - 4 Pack for $106.

Warbirdrcer...how is the AD going> Any luck on the wing fold?
Doc Yates...did you get your pilots a long time ago. I look but didn't have any luck?

SBD

DocYates 01-13-2010 09:27 AM

SBD,
Yeah they are a couple of years old. I will look in my sources books and see if I can find anything that might work for you. I know there is currently an F$ Vietnam era pilot released from a distributor in Far East. You can do a search on Ebay and find them. They are expensive, but very very authentic./
Tommy

WARBIRDRCER 01-13-2010 08:52 PM

SBD,

Good to hear from you. I have been working a lot the past few weeks also. I have spent some time with my friend looking, and working up ideas on the wing system. We have a couple of ideas, but he just moved his machine shop into a new facility and is playing catch-up on the paying jobs right now.

Say, I have a new sponsor for my war bird fly-in. Frank Tiano, of FTE/Top Gun is now one of my major sponsors. I feel as if I have entered the big league now. The thanks really goes to a friend, topguncj. He is helping me to take the event to a new level.

Looking forward to some update pics of your project.

SBDdauntless 01-14-2010 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well her are some more photo of my bomb release mechanism. The ends are 1/4" plywood with a sheet of 1/8" to lock in the release shaft. The rod is 1/4" brass with 3/8" tabs to mover the release tab and VOLIA the bomb will drop and save the day! So here are the photos.......and a few of the new flap hinges. I am gong to use a JR MC35 servo to operate the bomb release.

DogFly 01-15-2010 12:45 AM

SBDdauntless, the build is looking good, I like the idea of the working bomb drops!
I haven't flown my Pz version much lately, but I have it prepped for the flight line hopefully
this weekend if the weather permits.

SBDdauntless 01-16-2010 07:16 PM

Thanks for the positive support. I was working on it again today. Built a dummy rib for the servo. I had to extend the tabs from the pylons. I didn't want the release mechanism to over stroke the tabs. I will take a few more photos tomorrow.

Hope you were able to take that Pz out today. It was a nice day in PA so I washed my car. I had to go back and admire your Pzonenstein. Your did a awesome job on the conversion!

DogFly 01-16-2010 11:23 PM

Pzonenstein!!!:D
That's great,
the "monster" does fly nicely, and doesn't look too bad!
We have some ugly weather moving in right now so I probably won't get to fly.
Also, I just programmed all my planes into a new tx, and re-bound the rx's,
so my next flights will be like re-maidening all my planes. LOL
Looking forward to watching your build progress!

SBDdauntless 01-21-2010 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got all my servos. I got 8 DC821 servos for S160.00. I won an ebay auction. They are spectrum DS821 but are exactly the same specs as the JR. I was working with the aileron mechanism with Charlie. He showed me how he is dong his ailerons without any external linkage. We use a 1/8" steel rod and bent the end to a 45° angle. Place the bend at the hinge point so the aileron will deflect correctly. I made a servo arm with brass and wheel collar soldered together. I will placed the servo in the first opening of the outer wing and run a pushrod to the servo arm. This is so cool when you see it actually work. Hopefully it will be an awesome look! Here are some new photos.....

butlern 01-22-2010 07:40 AM

Nice job on the concealed aileron linkages. One question, though... how do you prevent the end of the wire from wearing away at the wood in the aileron linkage box (which might lead binding, failure or just progressively worsening "slop")?

Are you lining the ply in the box with something special?

Very cool, nonetheless.

Keep up the good work!

Noah

WARBIRDRCER 01-23-2010 05:05 PM

SBD,

Things are really looking good. Keep the pics coming.
My plate has gotten very full with my war bird fly-in coming up.
Sometimes I think the war bird fly-in is really my hobby.
Hope to be back on the AD-5 soon.

DocYates 01-27-2010 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finally took the caera into the Skunkworks and got a picture of the cockpit for you. These are the two pilots for my Skyraider. Not sure exactly where they came from, but they fit the part well and look happy in the work room....

DocYates 01-27-2010 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a glimpse of my other Skyraider (AE-1) in the SEA color shceme. I am almost done with the finishing touchs here and about ready for the test flight.
Tommy

SBDdauntless 01-30-2010 07:20 PM

Hey, great pilots! Would love to have something like that for the AD5. Got all the servos yesterday. I used A Main Hobbies for the JR MC35 servos only 18.99 each. I was in Saratoga Spring last week. I didn't get to work on the AD5. The other wing is coming together nicely. Hopefully I can get the wing together soon. Just have to install the bomb release in the other wing.

SBDdauntless 02-06-2010 12:38 PM

Great day to be in the basement. We are snowed in with over 12" of snow. Just finished shoveling a little hot chocolate and off to the basement.

lkahn4 02-21-2010 08:41 AM

Hey guys,
Great thread, SBD great seeing you at the WRAM show and seeing how are wives think sooooooo much alike. I think I am ordering my gear for my T-28 this week (wouldn't that be nice) all is have to do is sign an IOU to the wife with exhorbitant interest rate applied and she will write me the check :(.
Was really disappointed about the WRAM show, each year the number of vendors gets smaller and smaller, pretty soon they will be able to hold it in the back of a coffee shop, too bad it used to be a day long event, now you can do it in about 2 hours.
I can't wait to see how Charlie manages to do his folding wing mechanism for the skyraider, I took pix of the Corsair mechanism at the show, now all I need to do is figure out how to email them from my phone.

Stay warm and keep up the great work
Larry

SBDdauntless 02-24-2010 07:51 PM

Hi Larry,
The WRAM show used to be such a great place to get some nice deals and see some new product. Even meet with some vendors that you only talk to on the phone. It has really lost it grand appeal. Sorry to see that! Guess there are not enough guys like us who enjoy the challenge of the build. I was able to get some of the shopping list items. I still enjoyed getting out and hanging out the friends. I will be there next year...if they are! Who knows I may have the cash for the engine!

Good luck painting that Avenger again!

SBD

WARBIRDRCER 02-27-2010 10:44 PM

SBDdauntless,

How is your build coming? I have been very busy working on all of the details for my Warbird fly-in. If you get a moment, check out my sponsor web-site at www.oklahomamuseumofflying.org You will find some of our AD-5 videos there.

I did clean my build area today and plan to start my AD-5 again soon. Once the dust clears, and warbirds is behind me I will brief you on all that has been going on for our hobby here in Oklahoma.

SBDdauntless 04-02-2010 04:22 PM

I have been very busy at work and with home construction. I have been working on the AD in small doses. I did manager to get one of the outer wing section completely covered. The other one is ready to cover I just need a little time. I need to finish the aileron for the others side. May get a little time sunday between family visits.

Warbirdrcer, how is the show coming along must keep you real busy!

Happy Easter to all.
SBD

WARBIRDRCER 04-05-2010 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SBDdauntless,

It is really good to hear from you. I am like you right now, working in a little at a time. The Warbirds Over Oklahoma event is now 39 days out, and I am in daily contact with the event team. My primary event team lead, Bill Holland has really helped me out this year. Bill is the chief judge at Top Gun, so he will be wiped out when he returns. Then he will have one week to recover before our event.
The other project I have been helping on is a new flying site. Bill and I have been working with the City of El Reno, just west of my home town to develop a site with a 700’ X 50’ asphalt runway, with parallel grass. There will also be a car & truck site, and an area on the lake for sea planes and boats.
After the event has passed I will be back on the AD-5 again, and posting new photos.

For now I will catch you up on my other projects I have been working on:

First, my little helper wanted to restore an old jeep, so we did. Second, my wife would like to see her high school car on the road this summer, so she will. Third, my friends from the museum gave my little helper an aircraft tug operation lesson, and his first taxi ride in a T-6. Got to have fun in there somewhere.

Hope you had a good Easter too.

WBRCER