RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

G MAN 04-10-2010 12:21 PM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

WARBIRDRCER

Just so you dont" forget" this field in El Reno is 20 years old it is not NEW there are FLYERS all ready There and we will protect and serve!THANKS.

WARBIRDRCER 04-12-2010 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
G MAN,

I stand corrected. You are correct. Your current 245’ paved runway has been there for 20 years. I must add it is still in great condition due to your upkeep. It was good to meet you the other day while staking off the new proposed runway. Thanks for posting because I wanted to forward the e-mail traffic that has been traveling between El Reno, Bill, Bob, and myself involving the improvements, but I did not get your contact info before leaving. I will send one to you now through RCU. Sorry you were not informed about the planned meeting. Terry sent an e-mail out to all listed above to invite all local flyers to the meeting. Bob was the only one I knew whom flew there, and he was already in the loop, and Matt I had just met, so I invited him.
The image shows the new site layout plan.

Warbirdrcer

SBDdauntless 05-08-2010 07:55 PM

Anybody building a Kellogg Skyraider we would love to hear from you and see your photos. I have not been able to touch mine for the last 5 weeks. Doing a major remodeling job in the house. Someone must be having some fun building!!!!!!!!!!!!

WARBIRDRCER 05-22-2010 09:58 PM

SBDdauntless,

Warbirds Over Oklahoma is behind me, and planning for Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2011 are underway. I will be back on my AD-5 soon. Was in St Louis, MO last week at a managers meeting, returned home to play catch up with the have to do's. Should be back to the AD-5 next week.

I will post some photos after I get started.

WARBIRDRCER
AKA, Flight Leader
Warbirds Over Oklahoma

Firebar 06-28-2010 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am hoping to see some progress from your builds now that other things are done.
I have been building a Ziroli Stearman while waiting for parts from Sierra Giant Scale. I finished it last week and got the maiden flight done over the weekend. As with all Ziroli planes it flies great.
I am now back on my second Skyraider and I will post some photos if you two don't mind me posting to your thread.

Charlie

lkahn4 06-28-2010 07:07 PM

Charlie,
WHat a beautiful Stearman, I'm sure your having a ball with it. If you've been following the Avenger thread you now know that we are still making sloooooow progress but progress never the less. Linkages for the new and improved bomb bay doors goes in next week, In the meantime I have been alying out the panel lines on the wings and fitting the inboard flaps. Can't wait to see photos of the 2nd Skyraider, are you doing folding wings, I know you spoke of it at the WRAM show.

Happy flying to all

Larry

SBDdauntless 06-28-2010 08:10 PM

Charlie,
That would be great to have your input to this forum. I have just finished my master bath project this weekend. How I have to find the skyraider parts under all the tools and stuff. I hope to clean up the workspace and get these wing halves together. Can't wait to see your build photos.

SBD

WARBIRDRCER 06-28-2010 10:15 PM

Charlie,

I am with SBDdauntless and lkahn4, please join in. Heck, all of you guys can help me stay focused. With out fellow builders my ADD kicks in and I get side tracked. Charlie the stearman looks great. My P-40 has flown, my Stearman project is ready for cover, my 72 Mach I is about to go throttle up, but the AD-5 will get some time. I was really relaxing while cutting my parts and building.

SBD, looking forward to building with you again, and Ikahn4 I have been keeping up with the Avenger thread. Your plane is looking great. I saw butlern's Avenger first flight video. What a nice aircraft.

Firebar 06-29-2010 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I framed the elevator today and I glued up the sheeting for tomorrow. I hope to complete the elevators tomorrow.

Larry we will have to wait and see.
Are you going to WOD this year?
I plan to fly the Avenger this year. I am cycling the batteries now and hope to get it out for a few flights this week.

Charlie

lkahn4 06-29-2010 07:42 PM

Charlie,
As always you seem to magically get get the job done faster than we can read the directions... I look forward to seeing the build. Am hoping to get my P=38 in the air this summer for it's maiden flight.. I have to see about WOD, if I can convince the wife to take a ride with me I'll be there :)

Talk soon
Larry

Firebar 07-04-2010 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The weather Thursday and Friday was too good to not go flying so I got some flights on the Stearman. This postponed completion of the Skyraider stab a few days. I glassed the bottom and will finish glassing the top tomorrow.

Now on to the fuselage...

Have a great fourth of July!

WARBIRDRCER 07-04-2010 04:47 PM

Charlie,

Looks great. Keep us posted and you have a great 4th also.

What are your thoughts on a FUGI 86 EI Twin for power on the AD-5?

Be back soon,

Steve
aka: WARBIRDRCER

WARBIRDRCER 07-04-2010 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stearman looks great. Mine still looks the same as last time I posted a photo of it.

What have I been doing.

I have been flying my Byron P-40.

http://rcuvideos.com/video/P-40-Kittyhawk-Flight

Firebar 07-04-2010 05:36 PM

Steve
Obviously I don't have one to try to fit up but it is an interesting option. The dimension drawing shows it to be about 5 1/8" radius. The cowling is about 9 3/8" diameter in the front tapering up to 10 1/2" at the fuselage. The plugs may need a relief cutout but would less of a cutout than the cylinder opening needed for a single cylinder engine. The Fugi is over two pounds heavier but swings a smaller prop than the 3W75ius. I am sure it would still have enough power for the Skyraider. The additional weight would not be a problem. It would eliminate the need for nose weight to get the CG and you would need to move the batteries back into the wing area. Then there is the additional $250 in cost to consider.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 07-05-2010 07:14 AM

Charlie,

I can not find a 3W-75 listed any more. I did find a 3W-80 for $745.00, and an 85 for $795.00 on Aircraft International's web-site.
The Fuji Twin BT-86EI is listed for $900.00. I thought I have seen this engine listed for $800.00 before. I will check back with my local hobby shop. They carry items as cheep, or lower at times.

Steve

SBDdauntless 07-05-2010 07:48 AM

WarBD'r
Good to hear from you. I am up early clean the basement and putting all the tools away. Thought I would take a break and look at RCU. I found the 3W-75I. Check out this link......

http://www.aircraftinternational.com...s/3W75iUS.aspx

Hope to post some photos later in the week. Going to Warbird Over Delaware this weekend. Taking the SBD to show. I don't think I can fly with my old radio (72Mhz) but just enjoy showing the SBD off. I have been looking at the JR9503. So I guess the saving project is on...off to a good start I had 37.00 in my change jar (LOL)!!!!!

SBD

Firebar 07-05-2010 08:12 AM

Steve
I didn't like the way the 3W75iUS fit into the Skyraider cowling. I needed an opening for the side carb that could be avoided with a rear carb like the DA-85. The DA-85 has way more power than the plane needs but would fit the cowling better.

I am thinking about making a new plug for the cowling to enlarge it to fit the wider twins or the RCS150 radial. I could offer it as an option to those who want to fit the wider engines, The cowling would be slightly out of scale but I don't think it would be noticeable. The area near the front would enlarge from 9 3/8" diameter to 10" diameter. I thought I would post the idea here and see how many modelers would be interested since it is a large investment of time and cost to make the new mold.

It is good to hear that SBD is getting back to work on the raider. I hope to see some progress photos soon.

The P-40 looks good. How long have you had it, Byron has been gone a long time?
Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 07-05-2010 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SBD,

Thanks for the info for 3W.

Charlie,

Put me down for a larger cowl. I thought about cutting the cowl in two, carving a larger tool, and laying up glass to expand the diameter. Knowing how nice your work is, it would be much better to buy one from you. I am with you on the scale issue. I do not think it would be noticeable at all. I would rather have a larger uncut cowl, than a smaller one with the bottom cut out of it. I also considered adding small cutouts on either side of the cowl to allow spark plug clearance, and then add small fairings. If a person was not familiar with the AD-5 it would not matter.

Here is my cowl shoot, but I will run to the museum and get more detailed photos. What would be the largest diameter you would go with?

Thoughts Firebar and SBD?

Steve

Firebar 07-08-2010 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I completed the stabilizer and it is ready for primer. I have made some progress on the fuselage. I didn't get much done yesterday, I spent most of the time getting things ready to go to Warbirds over Delaware this weekend. It is forecast to continue to be a hot weekend.

The RCS radial drawing shows a 10" diameter needed to fit. The cowling mates to the transition piece at 10 1/2" diameter. I am thinking that 10 1/8" inside diameter would fit nicely. I will need to alter the curvature at the front slightly to keep the diameter full where the cylinders sit, 2 3/8" from the front. This looks like it would fit the twin cylinder engine also.

Anyone else making any progress?

Charlie

SBDdauntless 07-25-2010 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning all,

I have been making some progress...however it's not on the Skyraider. I purchased a new JR 9503. I have entered the 2.4Ghz world. Have have converted my Parkzone Corsair, and SBD over. I still have to redo my PT19 and SNJ. I have also added a second switch harness to my SBD and added a second battery system. I am going to do this to all the planes. This radio is a real treat. I was able to split my Elevator and Aileron to separated channels. Can never have enough redundancy...just look at this months Model Avation mag.

Yesterday was Warbird Over PA in Quakertown, PA. It was hot, hot hot. Here are a few image form the local papers. It was nice to have some coverage!

Feels good to be working on the toys an not the house!!!!!!!

Later,
SBD

SBDdauntless 08-01-2010 08:16 AM

Not working on the AD yet...spending some time at the flying field. Had a great day yesterday with my Parkzone Corsair. What a delight to fly. The weather was great and the field was nicely trimmed. First time I got to use my new JR9503. What a nice smooth feel. The plane actually seemed to have more touch and control than when I was using the supplied radio. Flew with hi rate on ailerons and low rate on elevator. Landed like a feather. Hard to be locked in the basement when the weather and flying are at its best!

Started to conver my PT19 over the the new system and changing the batteries to 6V 1700mH. Hope to get it out this week.

Hey Steve did you buy that new engine yet. My spending is on hold with the purchase of the radio system.

Later, Fran

Firebar 08-22-2010 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been flying whenever the weather permits and doing routine maintenance on the planes when I can't get out to the field. I did manage to spend a day or two on the Skyraider. I got more of the sheeting done on the fuselage, installed the push rods, ran the air lines to the tail wheel and made up the pull / pull rudder cables. Progress is going slower than I would like but I will get there little by little.

WARBIRDRCER 08-23-2010 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great Charlie.

Been busy flying most of my free time on weekend mornings, then regular maintenance on the house and cars. Was hoping to be much farther on the AD-5 and be building a Sig SR. Cadet with my 4 year old. Realized I can't do that much at one time because nothing gets done, so my friend and build buddy is assembling it for us. It will have some mods completed. Ailerons, Flaps, and the vertical fin and rudder moved aft to look more like a 172. It will be covered to resemble a US Army T-41.

Thanks and keep us posted.

lkahn4 08-24-2010 06:24 PM

Hey Charlie,
Looking good. Hope you've been followint the slight progress we've been making on the Avenger... Next week we should have the falps mounted and then on to the ailerons and tail feathers... FYI for all my fellow builders, I am planning a trip to the PIMA museum in Tucson next month, if anyone needs some photos for their builds and they have the plane there I will be happy to take a few shots, just let me know.

Larry

jimwolfjr 09-08-2010 03:54 PM

Hey Guys..... Well you all have finally done it, you caused me to go out and spend money on a Precision Cut Kits A1 Skyraider, Ziroli plans and "stuff". So thanks for all the incentive, good copy and Pics that you have been posting.

Wolfie