RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9177958-kelloggs-ad5-skyraider-build.html)

SBDdauntless 03-05-2011 05:07 AM

RE: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

WOW!!!!!! Thanks you so much. These photos are excellent! My goal this week is to get the wing glassed. I really appreciate you taking the time to get these for me. Than onto the split front canopy. I have to do something different than Charlie![sm=lol.gif] I will post some photos of the wing together later today!

SBDdauntless 03-05-2011 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Raider left the house for the first time for a photo session. I wanted to see it together in relationship to something. Now I think the wife needs a bigger car for me to carry this monster! LOVE IT!

WARBIRDRCER 03-05-2011 01:49 PM

SBD, Your AD-5 really looks great. Any idea of your squadron colors yet?

Any more photos needed by you or Firebar, just let me know.

lkahn4 03-05-2011 03:59 PM

Fran,
I'm thinkin a Ford Excursion running about gas stations per trip to the field :)

Nice work

Larry

SBDdauntless 03-05-2011 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Larry, Sounds like a plan. I'll get the Excursion and Charlies gets the Trailer. I'll even let him store it at his house! Actually I am looking at the Buick Enclave,saw it at the Philly Car Show. You can fit a 4 x 8 sheet behind the front seats. I can't get rid of my car...it's a Mustang. It even sounds like a famous plane![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Warbirdrcer, the colors are going to be the Vietnam era. The tri-color Air Force...so I guess it will be a A-1E Skyraider when finished. Hard for me to give up the Navy theme!

Here is my other favorite toy! My sons and I just installed the Shaker Hood last month. That first cut in the hood was scarey!!!!!!! But it looks GREAT!

lkahn4 03-05-2011 04:41 PM

Fran,
I knew that we had something in common, my wife drives a 2007 Mustang convertible pony edition 6 cyl. with the shacker sound system, I get 20+ mpg, the wife on the other hand manages a hearty 16 - 17 mpg.

Nice ride.... how many days a week do the boys let you drive it??? LOL

Larry

WARBIRDRCER 03-06-2011 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, what do you know? Here is a pic of one of my other project. This is a 1972 all matching numbers 351 Cleveland Mach I Mustang. This was my wife’s car when we were in high school. Her Dad kept it all these years, and decided 10 years ago to give it to us. I have been working slowly on it conducting more of a preservation than restoration. So far I have machined and rebuilt the engine, went through the transmission, and now they are dropped in the car. I pulled the electrical harness out, made repairs, and reinstalled. I have cleaned, prepped, and painted the undercarriage, inner fenders, and under hood areas too. You guys like cars too, should have known. Larry ask Maser about his “other” project.

lkahn4 03-06-2011 02:44 PM

Have to tell you, I don't know where you guys find the time, it is a beauty it should be a really nice ride when you get it back together... I could barely get my son to mow the lawn no less help me rebuild the fender on his Camaro when he was in high school.

SBDdauntless 03-06-2011 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NICE Mach 1!
This is getting to weird!!!!!

When I was in high school I had a 69 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. I didn't keep it, it's killing me now. I am always looking at the 69 Mach 1 on carsonline.com. I will get another one someday. Here are photos of my 69 Mach 1. Wish my dad told me to keep it but who knew!

Back to the Skyraider....I have been working on the canopy rear doors got one hinged and its working. I will work on the other side this week and post some photos.

Later,
Fran

Firebar 03-09-2011 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been keeping busy on the Skyraider too. I have been scratching my head for an easy, no tools, way to lock the rear canopies closed for flight. After a couple weeks of thinking, I had one of those moments when you say "I can't believe it took me so long to come up with this".
Now I can go back to glassing the fuselage.

SBDdauntless 03-20-2011 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice locking mechanism...will have to steal that one! I have been working on the Raider this weekend. Did tons of sanding on the leading edges of the center section. The project this weekend was to get the wing mounted. Ran into a little problem trying to set the wing incidence. Somehow I had the dowel in the front of the wing too high. I cut the front former out and replaced the wing dowel hole, moving it down a little and epoxied the heck out of it. I put a doubler in behind it too, it's probably stronger now than before. I was then able to set the incidence meter on the wing and there it was...+2°! I put the wing on the bench and made the fuselage level (0°). Once I get the mounting block in, drilled and tapped I will set the stab in place.

Firebar 03-20-2011 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good SBD

My Skyraider had a good weekend also. Friday was a warm day allowing me to apply primer to to the plane in the garage. Now all I need to do is sand it all off....

SBDdauntless 03-27-2011 03:11 PM

Hi guys,
Got some time in the basement to work on the Skyraider. I finished the wing saddle over last week and placed in the wing bolt mounts. So, today I was able to set the wing, drill the bolt holes, re-drill the bolt holes and OH CRAP re-drill the bolt holes for the final time. Thank god for wooden dowels and epoxy!!!!! The 1/32 ply will cover it all and give it a real nice finish. After I successfully got the wing attached I was able to set the stab. I leveled the fuselage back to 0° and with wing at +2°, started to install the stab. I trial fitted the stab a few times by adding a wedge to the front and back of the stab floor to act as a nice bonding/leveling area for the stab. After a bit of sanding the stab saddle I was able to get it to a 0° of incidence. I didn't take any photos because all the work didn't change the appearance; now I plan to start working on the canopy area. I have a few different ideas here. I'll keep you posted!

Hey Firebar, you are really making great progress. Now you have to make that final color scheme selection! Good Luck!

Later,
SBD

SBDdauntless 04-07-2011 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally a chance to get some photos posted. As I said I have been working on the elevators. I was able to get them glassed and primed. Hopefully I can get the control rods in this weekend. Once I do that I can close up the back of the fuselage. Really starting to look like a Skyraider!!!!!!!!

Firebar 04-18-2011 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been busy sanding off the first coat of primer and making the under wing attachments. I made four bomb releases operational on the outer wing panels and made the two drop tank pylons functional also. This took a lot of hours but I think it will be worth the effort. The bomb releases work two per servo. When I move the transmitter slider switch one direction the outer bombs drop and the two inner bombs go off with the other direction. I needed to figure this out to save on channels. I am using a JR 12X and need every available channel. Today the weather was perfect to paint so I applied the second coat of primer. Now back to sanding.

SBD, keep up the good work. You have most of the heavy building work completed. Now comes the fun part.. sanding and painting.

Charlie

PlaneNuttz 04-20-2011 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice build ! Cant wait to see her done. Just started a esm build on a skyraider. So far its required alot of mods.

Firebar 04-23-2011 12:53 PM

I finished sanding the second coat of primer off today. I had to CA my arm back on once though.
Now the fun part begins with marking and adding the panel lines. My goal is to have this plane ready to fly at Wardirds over Delaware in July. Counting out the weeks left and the amount of work remaining it is going to be close.

Steve
I was at the OK flying museum site to see where the full scale Skyraider might make an appearance east of OK. They haven't posted any scheduled appearances. Could you check with them and see if the plane will be coming east at any time. I would love to see it in person.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 04-23-2011 02:43 PM

Charlie, currently the air show schedule is limited to local events. As the flying season picks up that may change. If so, I will contact you with the dates and place. These fuel prices have been the death toll to a lot of the past shows.

SBDdauntless 04-23-2011 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys! In Mexico with the family... We found Elvis! REALLY

Firebar 05-03-2011 06:33 AM

I have been working on everything but the Skyraider. Getting the other planes ready for the flying season has been a big interruption. I have managed to finish the panel lines on the wing and it is ready for paint. I started working on the fuse panel lines and came across an inconsistency between the photos and the three view drawings. Maybe Steve can clear it up for me. The photos of the Skyraider show a panel on the left side of the fuse, behind the wing, covered partially by the star. The three views do not show a panel there.
Steve, could you get a photo of the area for me? Is there a panel on the right side in the same place?

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 05-03-2011 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Firebar

I have been working on everything but the Skyraider. Getting the other planes ready for the flying season has been a big interruption. I have managed to finish the panel lines on the wing and it is ready for paint. I started working on the fuse panel lines and came across an inconsistency between the photos and the three view drawings. Maybe Steve can clear it up for me. The photos of the Skyraider show a panel on the left side of the fuse, behind the wing, covered partially by the star. The three views do not show a panel there.
Steve, could you get a photo of the area for me? Is there a panel on the right side in the same place?

Charlie
Charlie,

I am sure you are talking about the large fuselage access panel. I will get you some photos, and yes I believe there is one on the right and left sides. One we use to transport convenience items to air shows. I will ask, but seem to remember there is an electronics rack located inside of there too.

WARBIRDRCER 05-07-2011 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Firebar

Charlie

Access panels on AD-5. Charlie, You may want to check if all Skyraiders (AD-5) aircraft had these panels. This aircraft had radar equipment located in the rear fuse area and the equipment was accessed through these panels.

Firebar 05-11-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks Steve. The photos are exactly what I needed.
I have been working on the fuse panel lines but I still have a bunch to finish. It looks like the panel on the left side is hinged and the one on the right is not. The left side also has less fasteners than the panel on the right. I will do my best to duplicate what is on this plane since it is the one I am modeling.

I got out for a few flights today with my Extra 300 to limber up the flying fingers. Tomorrow I plan to take my Ziroli T-6 out for its first flights of the season.

Charlie

WARBIRDRCER 05-12-2011 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Charlie,

The original set-up had both panels screwed on, but this panel was modified to access the interior platform to carry equipment to air shows. I guess one day there will be two of these AD-5 color schemes flying around, being this is the one I planned on modeling when I bought the plans from you. When you are ready for paint let me know, I can possibly still obtain the proper color mix from the shop that painted the aircraft here locally. The full scale version of this aircraft is opening my Warbird event this weekend with fly overs. I will post some picks.

Firebar 05-20-2011 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve
Thanks for the paint offer but I have Klass Kote paint on hand for the plane. They mixed the colors to the proper Federal Standard numbers for me and I really like working with the epoxy paints.

I finally finished the panel lines on the fuselage and am ready for the first color. I am going begin by painting the bottom, the control surfaces, and cowling white.
I have been putting a lot of work into the folding wing system while getting the panel lines finished. I originally planned to use an air charged system to move oil in the wing fold cylinders. The video that I posted a while back was done using the air / oil system. The problem I had was the air pressure would drop during the first wing fold cycle and not have enough pressure remaining to cycle them a second time. I decided to switch to a full oil system. This required adding a hydraulic pump and reservoir along with battery and associated hardware. The system now works very well and allows me to cycle the wing fold as many times as I want to. I will post a new video in the next few days.

Charlie