RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Gibbs Ziroli 94" P-40D Warhawk Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9311738-gibbs-ziroli-94%22-p-40d-warhawk-build.html)

NCIS 12-07-2009 06:16 PM

Gibbs Ziroli 94" P-40D Warhawk Build

1 Attachment(s)
I know I'm Crazy but,

I have decided to take on another project to help me relax while continuing to build my Monster Corsair. I needed a break from bentwing fighters for awhile so I am going to build this P-40. I will detail it out and it will have a unique paint scheme not yet picked out yet. Any suggestions? I ordered the short kit from Jesse at Laser Lizard yesterday. I ordered the plans, cowl, canopy, strut fairings, and fiberglass bellypan from Mike a Ziroli today. Jesse advertises shipment within 14 days and the accessories will go out this week. I hope to be ordering wood from BUSA as early as late next week. I want to get started soon so maybe I can actually have a Warbird flying sometime next summer. I received a Zenoah G-62 from a friend for free and this lead me to this project. It needs a cylinder head and I already have a used one another modeler has that will sell it to me for $20 for a parts engine. He says the cylinder is good. Here is my free engine. It's old but runs great.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com

PS: As of today I'm pleased to announce that Precision Cut Kits and Nick Ziroli Plans are Distributors of Canopy Rails for Warbirds. You can now buy from my site or from them. Which ever you choose.

whatiwork4 12-07-2009 06:19 PM

RE: Gibbs Ziroli 94

good luck

Edwin 12-07-2009 06:41 PM

I have found that when I do that, I just end up with a bunch of projects on the building board. Three at this time. I just promised myself to stop starting projects and start finishing projects.[:o]
Edwin

Forgot to add, Good luck.

All Day Dan 12-07-2009 07:51 PM

Barry, If you are going to build two at a time, the least I can do is watch both. Does does that engine have a cylinder head or is it a one piece cylinder? Dan.

NCIS 12-08-2009 07:10 PM

Dan,

It is a one piece cylinder. This is an older G-62 that came over on the Mayflower.:) Why do you ask? Just curious.

Barry

NCIS 12-08-2009 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How do you like these paint schemes. I like the pink one. It's unique and nobody else has one that I've seen![X(]

Barry

P-40 DRIVER 12-08-2009 08:23 PM

Sue Parish's plane, She used the Desert Pink over Asure blue scheme from North Africa, but took some liberties. Check out the eye's. I think its hanging up in the Planes of Fame museum these days, but used to be an Oshkosh regular for years. Sue, I believe was a WASP during WW2.

NCIS 12-10-2009 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info P-40. I didn't know who's P-40 it was. Now I can do some research. I think it will catch some eyes. And some laughs! Do you have any other pictures of it? If so please email them to me at [email protected]

Barry

NCIS 12-12-2009 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of making one good Zenoah G-62 out of mine and one I got for parts. I have stole a lot of parts off the donor engine but can't get a cylinder gasket because Horizon has them on backorder. I would really like to put mine back together before the elements take hold of it. I cleaned all the meatal parts in a oil fuel mixture and then after drying them I used 3 and 1 oil and spread it over all the parts generously. I'm hoping in an airtight bag this will hold off any rust or corrosion until I can get a gasket from Horizon. I already ordered new piston rings.

Do any of you have a new gasket you will sell me so I don't have to wait?

Thanks,

Barry

cimara 12-12-2009 09:14 PM

Try your local small engine shop they probably have it . just take the engine so the can cross reference the numbers .

Edwin 12-12-2009 11:31 PM

Try Daves Discount Motors. My other source (South East RC) apparently is out of business.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...egory.27908/.f
His G62 is a variation of the standard air G62. The gasket sets should work.
Edwin

JET FX 12-13-2009 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was lucky enough to see one of the early post restoration flights of "Little Jeanne" a couple of years ago at Wangaratta Aerodrome here in Australia, Watching in awe as the test pilot was continually beating up the strip at nearly zero altitude I guess I would now be a little biased toward doing this one myself. Plenty of documentation out there now also which would be a bonus;)

NCIS 12-13-2009 01:23 PM

Edwin,

Thank you very much for the link to Daves Discount Motors. I ordered everything I needed and nothing was backordered. Also thanks for the pictures.

Winston,

I tried that and they didn't want anything to do with it.

If any of you out there have changed cylinders before what did you use to compress the piston rings so the cylinder would slide back on? Also even though the piston rings look good should I replace them?:eek:

Barry

G-Pete 12-13-2009 01:37 PM

Piston rings are not that expensive. Anyhow, yes I would put new piston rings in it for better compression - just keep in mind you have to break the engine in again. For first lubrication by installing the piston into the cylinder use ONLY motor oil - not 3 in 1 not WD40 (it's a cleaner not an lube). Lightly coat the cylinder. The piston has to go very smoothly in there very little force.

NCIS 12-13-2009 01:55 PM

Thanks Pete,

I cancelled my order with Horizon so when I know they acctually did it I'll reorder the rings. After I change all these parts and since I went to great lengths to clean the engine it should be almost like new wouldn't you think? To be honest there isn't much to the G-62. What would you use for cleaning off the 3 and 1 oil when I'm ready to put it back together? Or can I just add the motor oil? I want to make sure the bearings on the connecting rod on the crankshaft are well lubricated. What oil do you recommend? Just plain old car engine oil or 2 cycle oil?

Barry

77chickenhawk 12-13-2009 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
havent seen this one rendered after

NCIS 12-13-2009 06:24 PM

77Chickenhawk,

To SCARY!!!!!:D

Pete,

I ordered them. Now I have new piston rings, prop washer, carb gasket, insulator gasket, copper cylinder gasket, and a muffler gasket coming. I can't think of anything else. What size and pitch prop should I be using on it in the P-40? I want to just start out with a 2 blade wood prop.

Barry

Edwin 12-14-2009 04:48 AM

I've been using 22x10 but I hear recently people trying 20x12. Havent done on it mine, the 22x10 have worked fine. I tried a 22x6-10 top flight once, big mistake. The prop tips were thin and flexed, got a whap-whap sound when I went to full throttle. Sounded like it was going to come apart.
Edwin

G-Pete 12-14-2009 10:39 AM

Barry, don't forget to order a new diaphragm for the Carburetor. A stiff diaphragm can cause a ton of headache, needle setting all over the place with different temperatures of the carb.
Motor oil or 2-stoke oil for assembly is fine. One note here - forget about rusting bearings it's not a glow engine. Even cleaned with gasoline the bearings take weeks even month to rust a little. Best and cheapest engine cleaner is Diesel, cleans everything.

About the propeller the manual stated 22x10 for brake in - this is what you have to use because you have to brake in the engine again.

ozzie454 12-14-2009 10:58 AM

Barry, if you plan on putting new rings in that take the cylinder down to the small engine shop and have them run a hone through it otherwise those new rings will never seat. Also do yourself a favor and get a can of brake clean to clean your parts. Diesel is nasty stuff and you'll smell like it for a week.

Roy

G-Pete 12-14-2009 11:24 AM

Sure, Zeoah never honed the cylinder - they come raw and unfinished and sell them hahaha

It called brake clean for a reason...it is 85% petroleum and 15% alcohol (most). It kills also any lube film in your bearings - - I don't think you want that.

G-Pete 12-14-2009 11:25 AM

...and for the smell on the hands - many stores carry so much inventory on rubber gloves - they HAVE to sell it;)

G-Pete 12-14-2009 11:29 AM

...and yes, especially Mondays- I have my smarty pants on :D

ozzie454 12-14-2009 11:44 AM

Brake clean is an awesome cleaner, not a lubricant. Apparently G-Pete has never built aa engine so his smart$ss remarks aside you clean the engine first then you lube the parts with any TC-W rated 2 stroke oil , personally I use Klotz. As far as installing the cylinder back on the piston you don"t need a tool for that you sqeeze the ring with your fingers , there is a pin in the piston that the ends of the ring has to line up with and it slides in real easy.

Hey G-Pete , call your local engine builder and learn a couple of things before you give more bad advice.

Roy

ozzie454 12-14-2009 11:58 AM

And you are correct that the cylinder is honed from the factory and the ring that is installed at the factory is seated to that cylinder when it is broke in , when you put a different ring in that cylinder it has to be seated to the cylinder. the way you do that is rehone the cylinder to get a rough surface so they wear in to each other. That's what is happening when you "break an engine in".

Roy