RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   T-28 Dave Platt (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9325558-t-28-dave-platt.html)

maser 05-16-2012 11:35 AM

RE: T-28 Dave Platt

Dean,

Jump on in. The waters fine. Besides, we could learn somthing from you.

Boyd

lkahn4 05-16-2012 04:26 PM

Dean,
I second Boyds suggestion that you jump right in, I could use another mentor and someone to follow.
Besides I can't keep bugging Boyd, I'm starting to feel quilty LOL
Seriously it would be fun to have another person in the thread and you seem to have some unique ideas.

Larry

Dean rcu 05-17-2012 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: lkahn4

Dean,
I second Boyds suggestion that you jump right in, I could use another mentor and someone to follow.
Besides I can't keep bugging Boyd, I'm starting to feel quilty LOL
Seriously it would be fun to have another person in the thread and you seem to have some unique ideas.

Larry
Larry, I'm starting a little late for you guys to follow. My last T-28 did not have working lights but for this one I've got an idea for landing lights which fold out of the wing and will have images for you soon.

maser 05-17-2012 11:23 AM

Dean,

Don't worry about being a late starter. As we watch your prgress, it can give ideas for same type applications on other aircraft. Or even in the future for building another T-28.

Boyd

lkahn4 05-17-2012 02:08 PM

Dean,
Not to worry, I thought doing this build at home would be quicker than the Avenger build my friend and I are doing but alas work, wife and normal everyday crap seem to get in the way. I manage to get about 8 hours a week and by the time I figure out what comes next and how to do it I figure I get about 5-1/2 build time.
And now that flying season is here and my dutiful time with my wife on Saturday..you get the drift.
I totally agree with Boyd that we will learn tons from you for future builds not to mention a possible long term kinship which makes this hobby and forum such a great thing.
I can't wait to see and read about the retractable landing light.

Larry

lkahn4 05-21-2012 02:23 PM

Hey guys
Getting a little headmof myself but I figure better to ask now. Boyd you said you were getting ready to glass, are you glassing the flaps and ailerons and if so how did you figure how much room to leave between the leading edges and the trailing edge of the wing, I'm stumped.
Should be affixing leading and trailing edges tonight or tomorrow night latest, just have to affix w18 and the rib and I'll be ready :)

Larry

maser 05-21-2012 07:13 PM

Larry,

Yes I glass the control surfaces. I leave about 1/2" at the trailing end and leading end then wrap it around to the other side. I only do this once. It's really the trailing edge I'm concerned with though. This gives it some added strength. You have to be carful when wraping so as not to get wrinkles. Even if you do get wrinkels don't worry you can sand it out later when it dries.

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-22-2012 02:37 AM

Boyd,
Got ya, but my real question was how much space do you leave between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the flap/aileron so that after they're glassed they don't rub together

Thanks
Larry

maser 05-22-2012 03:51 AM

Larry,

I don't glass the trailing edge of the wing where the control surfaces meet. I just put some resin on the back side and sand it until it is smooth. Prior to putting on the glass, I make sure the surfaces, trailing edge of wing and leading edge of flaps/ailerone in this case,come in contact with each other, but still operate properly. I have never had a problem with hinging because the build up is so minute (or at least should be in this case). After I resin theglassI hit it with 80 gritsandpaper until I takeall the "sheen"off or unitl it is dull. Be careful not to sand through theglass cloth.

If all else fails sand to the bear wood on the leading edge of the control surface and just put layer of resin, then sand smooth.

Hope this answers your question.

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-22-2012 04:08 AM

perfect, thanks

Dean rcu 05-22-2012 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, Here is the landing light I have been working on for the T-28. It sits on a piece of 1/16 plywood. I used a small hinge and 2 pieces of 1/16 1/2 inch wide brass bent to achieve the proper tract. A cheap flashlight with a 1" reflector which is about scale size for the 1/6 th T-28. The servo can be smaller I used the larger one because that's all I have right now. I'm haveing problems trying to get images uploaded.

maser 05-22-2012 08:29 PM

Dean,

You have a great idea. This looks so simple. It's amazing what you can do with odds and ends to come up with a scale appearance. What did you use to glue the light to the hinge portion?

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-23-2012 04:17 AM

Dean,
Awesome, can't wait to get to that part of the build, remarkabe piece of ingenuity and design.
Boyd, can you let me know how you did the intitial shape of the edng edge, it looks like you sed a band saw, I on the other hand will need to attach and sand the angle before sheeting.

hanks for the help guys
Larry

maser 05-23-2012 10:29 AM

Larry,

I center the leading edge and glueto the ribs, then sand to the contour of the rib. I do this while the wing is still secured to the table top, prior to any sheeting.

BTW-I pondered yourquestion regarding the distance between the leading edge of the flap/airleron and the trailing edge of the wing. The"Light Bulb" went off and realized that because of the way theyarehinged you must give somedistance for buildup fromexpoxy, primer and paint. It's not like a robart hinge where you just push the control surface in until it abuts thetrailing edge of the wing. Leave about 1/16th. But, even with all this,I still do not have a problem. Again just make sure before the epoxy, paint etc are applied thatthe control surface moves freely.

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-23-2012 12:38 PM

Hi Boyd,
Thanks for confirming that I am not a complete dunce with regard to the sanding of the leading edge, that is exactly how I planned to do it. And thanks for confirming that you did leave some space between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the flaps/ailerons.. I was planning on about .010pts between them.
Should have the leading and trailing edges glued tonight, wil send pix by the weekend. Really liking Deans retractable light, totally awesome.
I have also been kicking around a way to open and close the front canopy using 1 servo and a bellcrank, as soon as i figure out a couple of more things I will post a drawing and you guys can let me know if it seems viable.

Thanks again for the insight
Larry

Dean rcu 05-23-2012 01:12 PM

Boyd, I used two small dabs of Goop. Larry I will have images of the light installed in the wing In about a week.

Dean

lkahn4 05-23-2012 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Here is what I am thinking for the fwd canopy, I think too late for Boyd but I'm thinking if it's incorporated during the fuse build it might work

Larry

maser 05-24-2012 04:02 AM

Larry,

I am to far along to try this idea.

This looks like a good way of doing it. Be carful of the location of the fuel tank/wheel well/nose gear. Mine is right where this locationwouldpossibly be. Also because of the solid block behind the aft canopy it made it hard to put something like this there.

Be sure to send pix's of your completion on this part.

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-24-2012 04:16 AM

Boyd,
I was actually thinking of placing the servo well aft of the cockpit and drilling holes for the sleeve that will guide the (2) 1/16" wires. I'm thinking that a micro servo might have enough torque without adding too much tail weight... once I get the wing done I will make up the rig and see if it's something that's viable. Sorry I didn't think of it during the Avenger build...oh well better late than never.

Larry

maser 05-24-2012 10:11 AM

Larry,

This will be real interesting to see how you make this work. Even Dean made a comment that with the way to two canopies are this would be difficult. Be sure to send the pix's.

Also, what power plant have you opted for?

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-24-2012 12:56 PM

Boyd,
Only planning on opening the front canopy, I'm not that good in figuring out 2....
As for the power plant I haven't even thought about it, what are you planning. I know the plans said a 2300 Super tiger or gas... just don't know yet

Larry

maser 05-25-2012 03:31 AM

Larry,

I'm using a Fuju BT-50ESI (46.50 cc). Go to post 112, page 5 to show you how I set it up.

It sounds like you are makeing good progress.

Boyd

maser 05-25-2012 03:41 AM

Dean,

It sounds like you are making some serious headway. Send some pix's when you get a chance.

After looking at some of your builds and the detail you put into them, how long does it take you to build a model?

Boyd.

Dean rcu 06-02-2012 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: maser

Dean,

It sounds like you are making some serious headway. Send some pix's when you get a chance.

After looking at some of your builds and the detail you put into them, how long does it take you to build a model?

Boyd.

Hi Boyd, I have been in Maryland this past week as our daughter passed away after battling cancer for almost six years she was 42. Most of the models are built in seven to nine months and being retired I usually put in about six hours a day working on them. I hope to have images next week on the landing lights installed.

Dean

tailskid 06-02-2012 11:42 AM

Dean, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter....my prayers go to you and your family.