RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   T-28 Dave Platt (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9325558-t-28-dave-platt.html)

maser 03-06-2017 04:42 PM

Larry,

Cutting it in half is perfectly acceptable.

Boyd

lkahn4 03-14-2017 04:06 AM

So I finally heard from Chuck at Vanguard, he lost the guy who did his vacuum forming and he's looking for a new source.
Said it might be a month before the canopy is ready, bummer...
in the meantime am trying to fit the cockpit hood and fill the many dings in the fuselage....
Stay tuned

Larry

drifter 03-15-2017 04:57 AM

There may be a problem with the rear of the Mosher canopy on the Platt.

Drifter

lkahn4 03-15-2017 05:06 AM

thanks for the info Drifter, actually I only need the windscreen

Larry

maser 03-16-2017 08:06 AM

Larry,

I made mine from a clear coke bottle. Learned the trick from a scale builder.

I would have rather gotten one from someone that makes them, but it turned out good anyway.

Boyd.

lkahn4 03-16-2017 08:42 AM

Boyd,
we did that for the lenoses on the avenger, I really didn't want to make a plug for the windscreen.
I do have a ?, looking at the plans I don't see any right thrust for the engine (saito 180) I thought I saw that you put right thrust in.....

confused and and still at it

thanks
larry

maser 03-16-2017 10:46 AM

Larry

Just cut the bottle, it will form the way it needs to. No reason to make a plug.

There is right thrust. It shows up in the 3 view. I would not have know this except I called Platt himself. He was very helpful.

Boyd

lkahn4 03-17-2017 03:42 AM

Boyd,
Just went through all the sheets including the 3 view, couldn't find the thrust. Will have to call Dave when I get off from work :(

maser 03-17-2017 10:16 AM

Larry,

I can't believe I lead you down the wrong path. There was not suppose to be right thrust. I put it in anyway. I think that the dorsal fin was suppose to be offset to correct for this.

Anyway, I like having the right thrust.

Boyd.

lkahn4 04-12-2017 03:34 PM

Quick update
Got the front of the canopy square, started cutting out the canopy formers got the windscreen and forward canopy one done. Wing is glassed and now waiting for a piece of 3/8" ply to mount the cowl with hidden fasteners a la Boyd :)
This working pt is becoming a pain with the rotating days and shifts but as long as I am keeping SS solvent for you guys I'm good with that

Will try and post some pix next week.

Boyd, BTW, I had to reset one of the mains as when I started sanding the wing prior to glassing I went through a spot and saw that the mount was showing through....NEVER easy I tell ya

Larry

maser 04-13-2017 04:54 AM

Larry,

It can be frustrating. But worth it in the long run.

Boyd.

redtail 04-14-2017 07:16 AM

​Where is the photos? Smile Chic

lkahn4 04-15-2017 09:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay guys here are some pix.
1st one is the frames for the windscreen and forward canopy, still have 2 to go. 2nd pix is of the wing glassed, still need to do some sanding and the final pix is fitting the hood to the fuselage... what a pain that turned out to be....
Chic, want you to know that keeping your SS solvent is wreaking havoc on my free time, 32 hours this past week, 15 hrs next week and 25 hours the week after. Tell Shirley she can go shopping now that I have helped refund your retirement :)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2209906http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2209907http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2209908

Larry

redtail 04-15-2017 03:34 PM

Well "Alright, Alright, Alright. Chic

maser 04-16-2017 05:02 AM

Larry,

Keep working. I'm almost there with Chic. 2 more.

The T-28 is really taking shape. I'm sure you'll have it ready for the upcoming flying season.

Boyd.

lkahn4 05-16-2017 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
So between my whacked out work schedule and the wife I am moving slowly forward on the Trojan
I had to make an extension for the motor mount rails since I couldn't find a prop extension for the saito engine...
I am also cutting NEW front canopy frames as the ones I made didn't allow for the fiberglass hood/windscreen piece
As for my Xoar prop, it's so pretty I'm thinking of having it framed since I have since found a master airscrew prop at advantage hobby
Once I get the front frames cut and glued in place I can mount the hood and decide if I'm buying the Nat'l Balsa cockpit kit

Stay tuned... Boyd and Chic thanks for the moral or immoral support, Boyd I couldn't have gotten this far without your help and I am forever grateful for that.

lkahn4 05-17-2017 05:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay guys
Here are a couple of shots of the recut windscreen/fwd canopy frames.
I spot glued 2 pieces of 1/8" ply together, traced the outline and then cut and sanded the outside shape. I then screwed the frames together and cut and sanded the inside of the frames so that they would be identical... had been thinking of that since my mishap with the first 2 that I cut....
Today I hope to recover the bottoms of the avenger elevators so I can move on to the mechanicals and then to redo all the throws :)

lkahn4 05-19-2017 04:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Here's an update on the build.
After covering 1 of the elevators on the Avenger yesterday I decided to go back to work on the Trojan as the garage was in the 70's
I had to cut the hood in half to get it to fit properly (probably from my error), will glue to the fuse today and then bridge the gap with a piece of 1/16" balsa and then fill the void with some micro balloons.
Also cutting the 2nd set of canopy frames so I can get the canopy setup with the rails... stay tuned for that fiasco

lkahn4 05-25-2017 02:35 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Here's the latest update....
Hood has been split and a piece of fiberglass adhered to both halves, just have to fill with micro balloons and sand
Canopy frames cut and glued as well as canopy halves, Boyd you were right about the rear deck where the canopy slides back... see pix
I may have to add some micro balloons to get close to the shape (or not)
Garage is now 92 at 3:15 my time, YUCK

maser 05-29-2017 04:05 AM

Larry,

They have come out with a new invention. They are called Fans. Ha!

Boyd

lkahn4 05-29-2017 04:30 AM

Boyd,
I do have one of those oscillating fan towers, they work great. They move that heat around awesome, like being in a convection oven.
I can do about 30 - 40 minutes at a time and then I need to replenish the gallon of water that I have sweated out of me.
Should have the turtle deck done by tomorrow as I work til 4 today and the garage will probably be in the high 90's by the time I get home.

Can't thank you guys enough for the help

Larry

redtail 05-29-2017 04:59 PM

Your work looks solid and on point. Boyd will you and the rest of us - honest. Thought you were only going to work "Part Time" - smile. Stay safe and Stay well my friend/brother. Chic.

lkahn4 05-30-2017 04:44 AM

Chic,
Thanks, part time HA
They have me scheduled for 22 hours this week and they already set half the schedule for next week and I'm up to 15.... knowing that Shirley will have shopping $$$$ and that I have a few $$ left for the hobby is the only thing keeping me going :) Oh and the fact that my daughter has just moved in with us til she can find a job and housing has raised the drama quotient here about 1,000%
I should get the flap affixed to the Avenger tomorrow and then can start on reworking all the wiring as I install the gyro.....

Take care brother

Larry

lkahn4 06-11-2017 05:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Here are a couple of more shots of my progress, slow going as the heat takes its toll after about 1/2 an hour.
With the fan on I now know what and oven roaster chicken feels like in a convection oven.
I think I have the flap problem figured out on the Avenger and hopefully will tackle the reinstall tomorrow as I have the day off :)
Hope you guys have been getting some decent flying weather as my work schedule isn't cooperating with my getting to the field.
Larry

redtail 06-11-2017 05:47 AM

Well alright - at least you are not as slow as I am. Looking good my friend, the wx here is also now in the 90s. I don't mind the heat but d#*&, need to get up at daybreak to go flying. Back to flying a bit after lots of physical therapy on the hand, God, I am grateful. Progress on the Avenger continues slowly. Stay well and Stay safe. Chic