RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9341212-vailly-aviation-hawker-hurricane-build-thread.html)

udet1918 08-29-2012 06:19 AM

RE: Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Go to Vaillyaviation.com enter the site and scroll down the page to the Hurricane Landing Techniques tab and have a read, might prove useful.

Ron

FireBee 08-29-2012 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Copy.

DaddySam 12-23-2012 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've been away from the build for quite awhile now. I've purchased some MSA 10 servo synchronizers and am rebuilding the flaps. I am going to utilize BT's technique and will use hinge points. Not as scale as I was hoping but I think this will get me out of this stall.
Merry Christmas to all .
sam

glazier808 12-23-2012 04:04 PM

Merry Xmas Sam, good to see you back at it!

Casey

DaddySam 02-18-2013 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It has been a long time since I did anything on the Hurricanes, for various reasons. But the flap issues were a big part of my procrastination. I was dreading cutting all those flap ribs from 1/16 ply, and then glassing the flaps. I've tried it before and it has been one of the worst-looking parts of the model. I got an idea to glass the flaps first, before the ribs were attached, and then I thought about pre-glassing the ribs too. To take it a step further, I pre-glassed some 1/16 balsa sheet, and then cut the flap ribs out. I then CA'd them to the flap. After they were dry I took the flap section and sanded it as a unit, on a piece of sandpaper on a glass surface. That way all the flaps ribs will be uniform. After I'm satisfied I'll do a thin flow-coat of epoxy to finish it off. Below are pics:

wphilb 02-18-2013 10:13 AM

This sounds like a good place for some G10?<div>
</div><div>Whit</div>

DaddySam 02-18-2013 10:41 AM

Hi Whit,
I thought about using G10, and I do have some, but that is some tough stuff to cut small ribs and grind holes in. Since I have a dowel for a leading edge each rib has to be cut out to fit it and, being a basically lazy builder, I figured the balsa would be easier to shape (especially in quantity). Time will tell, although the prospect of redoing the ribs a third time is pretty depressing! I will have my rib doublers that have the control horn attached be made of G10.

wphilb 02-18-2013 04:50 PM

Amen, the stuff eats band saw blades like that was its job! I think your ore fglass end balsa ribs are a good way to go. I might have made the underside out of thin G10 but the ribs I think you did the 100% right way. <div>
</div><div>Whit</div>

DaddySam 04-11-2013 04:35 AM

I've been making some small progress on the flaps and am in the process of hinging them to the wings. I'll post some pix when the RCU fix is in.

DaddySam 04-13-2013 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So it looks like RCU is up and running now! I "think" I've got the flaps hinged and am now going to install linkage and servos. I had to create a false flap bed behind the trailing edge of the wing in order to incorporate a more scale-sized flap. I think that the smaller flap area will help with reducing the elevator blanking that some write about.
Sam

DaddySam 04-14-2013 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to make the flap servos accessible for service so I finally came up with the idea of having a tray slide into some slots. Then then servo mount will be captured by the access door when I get that figured out. The control rods are from another project - just used to line up the servo position. Now onto the outboard flaps.

DaddySam 04-21-2013 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was organizing my hobby area to clear enough space to begin working on the wings. In the process I found box of parts so I decided I'd better install some so I won't lose them later on. This afternoon I installed the sub fin. The plans show this shaped from solid balsa but in the interest of keeping the tail light I made hollow assemblies out of 1/16" balsa. I then covered the bottom rear of the fuse with Solartex and penciled in the outline of the subfins. Then instead of cutting the Solartex away from the area where the sub fin contacts the fuse, I elected to take a straight pin and punch a line of holes just inside the pencil line, so that when I attach the sub fin with CA the CA will go into the pin holes and attach to the wood underneath (that's the plan anyway). Then a thin strip of Solartex was ironed over the joint.
I'm hoping to get the ailerons done this week and the wing mounted to the fuse.
Sam

DaddySam 04-27-2013 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was our local RC club's Mall Show and I was determined to have the Hurri on it's wheels. I got up early and spent several hours sanding the wing saddles to get the 2 degrees positive incidence. I still need to do a bit more to relieve enough wood to put in the wing fillet bases. I'll first want to make them closer to scale, as the Vailly plans make them a bit too big. First time too for the motor to be mounted in a long time. Everything fits together well, if I do say so myself! You can't see them but the ailerons on taped to the wings. I built them sort of per the plans but sheeted the tops with 1/32 ply to make them stronger, and provide a sharper trailing edge.

DaddySam 04-29-2013 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a lot of good conversation at the mall show I'm pretty decided to make this plane my "proof of concept" model. I intend to get it in the air this summer without a lot of scale details. With that in mind I'm plugging away on the center section. Although this plane won't be scaled out for this summer I want to incorporate the changes that will result in a more scale outline, so that when I do add some detail it won't involve major surgery. In attacking the center section I used a "Lock On" book to give me an idea of the open area in the wheel wells. I also decided that I would fiberglass the innards before the sheeting so that it would be protected. I was not going to bother with gear doors but I needed to attach them to get an idea of how to shape the leading edge of the wheel compartment. On the full size it's pretty much a straight line across, perpendicular to the center line. Then the strut covers meet that perpendicular line. On the model the strut covers don't do this, so I'm going to angle the sheeting to match the strut covers. I also put together my air control, although I'm not quite sure where I'm going to put it yet.

DaddySam 05-01-2013 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On to sheeting the center section today. Making the cutouts for the wheels and strut covers was the biggest pain, and it's where the deviation from scale operation rears its ugly head. I have to keep telling myself that this is sport scale for now. I will have to see if the different geometry of the Sierra gear makes any difference in the second bird. I am also running the wires for the servos and landing lights, and constructing a duct to help pull air from the fuse after it's been pulled past the cylinder head. You can see how much exit there will be so I think this will work ok. I used to sheet wings by pre-gluing all the sheets into one, and then sanding it before I put it on the wing. I find that I am doing a little bit of that, plus some one-at-a-time sheets. Here are some pix:

P40N 05-01-2013 09:23 PM

Hi Sam,
Good to see you are back at it....I made the retract valve setup as you have on my P40. On one of its flights the legs wouldn't extend and I had to belly land. Later examination found that the circular nut fastening the valve body to the plywood mount had vibrated completely off....I had forgotten to use some Loctite duh!!
Belly landings are not so bad with a P40 but I would hate to have to do one with a Hurricane with that big radiator hanging down asking to be ripped off

All the best
Stan

DaddySam 05-02-2013 05:51 AM

Good to hear from you, Stan. I have your build in a notebook on my workbench as I'm working - I appreciate the time and effort you took to document your build. Thanks for the tip on the locktite for the retract valve nut. I would not have remembered to do so, but will now. I am also mulling over the idea of having the radiator scoop mount with magnets just in case of a belly landing, and to help with access.
What are you working on these days?
Sam

DaddySam 05-02-2013 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Even though I do not plan on making gear doors a priority I just could not help myself in trying to fit some. I made some patterns out of 1/64 ply and made some slots in the attachment points so I could loosen and adjust the strut cover mounts. I think it is doable and the strut covers will not look like speed brakes when the gear is down. Now on to more sheeting.
Sam

glazier808 05-02-2013 05:33 PM

Looks good Sam, glad to see you back on the build!

Casey

P40N 05-02-2013 09:17 PM

Keep at it Sam, I'm sure all the guys following your build are hanging out for the maiden.
I have been building a 1/4.5:1 Mick Reeves Hurricane for the past nine months or so, it's a bit bigger than the Vailly Hurricane so I'm hoping for a lighter wing loading....We'll see....I have documented the build to date on our club website if you are interested. http://www.wrcs.org.au/information/m...icles?start=10
All the best
Stan

DaddySam 05-03-2013 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got one aileron covered with Solartex, then pinked to simulate the ribs.

DaddySam 05-07-2013 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We've had a week of unusually hot weather here so I'm making the best of it by doing some fiberglassing and some priming. The pix show the venting through the center section out the underside, the method I'll use to attach the rear of the radiator, and the first parts sanded and primed.

DaddySam 05-08-2013 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting ready to sheet the wing bottoms and had to take advantage of some of the great weather to get some practice in painting. Below is the scoop mounted on the wing. I'll need to figure out some kind of method to fasten the front down - maybe rare earth magnets or some kind of hook. Also I'm inletting the area where the jury struts on the landing gear will go. I had to cut slightly into the dihedral brace, which makes me glad I overbuild the landing gear mounts and their attachment points to the wing ribs. I'll also be putting some heavier or doubled fiberglass across the center section and out to the first rib bay.
'

DaddySam 05-08-2013 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continuing to take advantage of our unusually hot May, I broke out the airbrush. I have had a set of paints from John Clarke in Canada (his "Warpaint" line of latex) and a set of paints from Warbirdcolors. I decided to paint this one with the Warpaint because I've had it the longest. I mixed it 50-50 with windshield washer, added a drop of Flotril per ounce of paint. I used about an ounce to paint all of the Sky Type 'S', and just a 1/4 oz to do the Dark Earth Brown. I'll need to clear coat it later on, maybe with a flexible flat automotive or maybe just a verathane.

Chad Veich 05-08-2013 09:59 PM

The Hurri is looking great Sam. Keep on truckin'!